Jump to content
BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Inn Between

Uncle Ben's Converted (Parboiled) Rice

Recommended Posts

Image result for uncle ben's converted rice

 

I would like to find this product in Pattaya or any other "parboiled rice".  Parboiling is a way of removing the husk with the use of steam or hot water or soaking and is a compromise between white rice, where many nutrients are lost through the dry method of husk removal and brown rice, which retains the most nutrients. Parboiled rice is popular in America but I can't seem to find it here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you tried kao grong. It's got the husks on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Rob13 said:

Have you tried kao grong. It's got the husks on

 

Thanks for the reply.

 

Yes, I always eat brown rice at home, and I suspect you're talking about the hull rather than a husk. The hull is inedible (at least for humans) so it's always removed. Brown rice retains most of the bran/fiber and the germ -- not the hull, but with white rice the germ and bran are mostly removed. White rice is said to have approximately 50% of brown rice's (khao glong) nutrition, but I prefer parboiled, which keeps about 80% of the possible nutrients.

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTevLL72QVxs2RWKfLw3m

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always figured white rice is about as healthy as eating Wonder bread, plus the brown rice has more flavor. As for the par boiled stuff, I've never seen it, you may have to go to Amazon or somewhere online, probably pricey that though. Good luck with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thailand produces on average 25 million tons from 40,000 rice varieties and you are looking for something else!

Gimie a break!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All kinds of rices at Big C. Not just the ones in the huge sacks. They have red ones black ones. Brown ones. Found in much smaller bags. Should very easily be able to find a healthy one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Oink said:

Thailand produces on average 25 million tons from 40,000 rice varieties and you are looking for something else!

Gimie a break!

 

Gosh, I'm very sorry. I can see now that it's outrageous of me to want the rice I grew up with sometimes. People should never want the things they grew up with when living abroad, and thanks to you, I now see the egregious error I made in posting such an offensive request. I haven't gone to church in decades, but you've made it clear that I should pray for my soul and ask God to Gimme a break.  Thank you. I'm humbled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uncle Bens processed rice and cook in sauces are available in Tops in Central and Villa Mart in the Avenue.

Enjoy! May your God go with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Riceberry is good. It's supposed to be healthier than regular rice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

Riceberry is good. It's supposed to be healthier than regular rice.

 

Thanks. The rice I usually buy here is a combination of jasmine brown mixed with red and purple rice. It's nice if not a bit expensive at 110 for a 2-kg bag, but I just get the craving sometimes for parboiled stuff like Uncle Ben's Converted.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Inn Between said:

 

Gosh, I'm very sorry. I can see now that it's outrageous of me to want the rice I grew up with sometimes. People should never want the things they grew up with when living abroad, and thanks to you, I now see the egregious error I made in posting such an offensive request. I haven't gone to church in decades, but you've made it clear that I should pray for my soul and ask God to Gimme a break.  Thank you. I'm humbled. 

It's like going into a Rolls Royce car rental agency and offering to rent a Ford Truck for more money than the Rolls.  You can see why the Brits would dislike Americans.  The same thing about Thais and rice.  If you would drop your ethnocentric goggles for a minute and try a variety of Thai Rice you would be happily surprised.  Or you could go to France and ask to buy Kraft cheese slices?  Or have a British friend go to an American Steak house and ask them to boil a prime beef steak well done.  Or go to Rome and ask them for Franco American spaghettios.  Or start a thread on where to buy  Vegemite.

 

franco american.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Oink said:

Uncle Bens processed rice and cook in sauces are available in Tops in Central and Villa Mart in the Avenue.

Enjoy! May your God go with you.

 

I'm not sure what you mean by processed -- it's all processed to some degree to get the hull off and perhaps more, depending on what the producer is after -- white vs brown for example. If you're talking about instant rice like Minute Rice, I'm not interested, but thanks for mentioning your sighting. If I'm near a Tops or similar store, I'll take a look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

It's like going into a Rolls Royce car rental agency and offering to rent a Ford Truck for more money than the Rolls.  You can see why the Brits would dislike Americans.  The same thing about Thais and rice.  If you would drop your ethnocentric goggles for a minute and try a variety of Thai Rice you would be happily surprised.  Or you could go to France and ask to buy Kraft cheese slices?  Or have a British friend go to an American Steak house and ask them to boil a prime beef steak well done.  Or go to Rome and ask them for Franco American spaghettios.  Or start a thread on where to buy  Vegemite.

 

franco american.jpg

 

 

Comfort food. No doubt you have something hiding in your cupboard,that  makes no sense to buy in Thailand other than you like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

It's like going into a Rolls Royce car rental agency and offering to rent a Ford Truck for more money than the Rolls.  You can see why the Brits would dislike Americans.  The same thing about Thais and rice.  If you would drop your ethnocentric goggles for a minute and try a variety of Thai Rice you would be happily surprised.  Or you could go to France and ask to buy Kraft cheese slices?  Or have a British friend go to an American Steak house and ask them to boil a prime beef steak well done.  Or go to Rome and ask them for Franco American spaghettios.  Or start a thread on where to buy  Vegemite.

 

franco american.jpg

 

Ummm....ya.....sure....Okay. I guess there's supposed to be a joke or something like that in your rambling. Obviously you didn't read or understand enough to see that I happily eat varieties of Thai rice. (no need to capitalize 'rice' as you do, BTW)  Seems really really clear that I wanted to get some UBC rice to satisfy cravings sometimes for something I grew up eating. 

 

As for your beloved tinned pasta, you can happily enjoy as much as you want -- disgusting stuff IMHO, but go for it, man. Yummy for you!

 

And how Vegemite gets into a question about where to buy a brand of rice beats me. Whew!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To the OP, I also grew up with Uncle Ben's rice.  I have lived in Pattaya for ten years and have never found it for sale.  I have tried dozens of other types of rice and nothing comes close to the taste of Uncle Ben's converted rice.  It's spectacular, and everything else is just rice.

 I always ask my visiting friends if they have room in their luggage for a couple of 5-pound bags of the stuff, and I bring about 20 pounds back when I travel to the U.S.  If that does not work, simply ask a friend back home to send you some.

 

Don't let the imbeciles in this thread throw you off your mission:  Uncle Ben's rocks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...