Brutal murder of German in Samui goes unpunished two years after the event

rooster59

7 hours ago, thai3 said:

Unbelievable, a new low for the Thai 'justice' system, can't get wore than this.

Take a look at the geriatric red shirt war. They will be tried and prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Why? Because they decided to challenge the junta. There will be no delays like the above case jack boot justice will be swift. That is the two tiered justice system here. 

1 hour ago, PoorSucker said:

It does not matter as long as it's not in Thai script.

Thai authorities don't read English websites.

Well, the Thai government managed to figure out via online news from the West that Bill Gates had needled them re the country's spaghetti wire cabling tangle, and they ended up announcing a supposed big plan to underground the utilities in BKK as a result.

Likewise, they seemed to get the message when the Western media widely covered the PM's ill-advised remarks about how female tourists dressing in bikinis potentially invited them being assaulted. And that led to a kind of public apology, if memory serves.

So, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that sufficient and prominent non-Thai news media coverage of this sorry case might manage to produce some movement -- just as ultimately did the Associated Press and Reuters' reporting on the human trafficking/fishing industry abuses/migrant slave camps.

32 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

foreign embassies tend to stay out of things like this and i dont know why. i can imagine it would be difficult dealing with thai authorities and maybe they just dont bother any more after trying before without getting results.

Foreign governments do nothing because, in an age when the "wrong sort of people" get to travel, the "right sort of people", who run governments and economies the world over, don't really care as much about them as they do about diplomacy, defence and trade arrangements.

In the 19th century when, by and large, only the "right sort of people" got to travel, Imperial Germany would have sent a gunboat to bombard wherever the "outrage" had occurred, until the culprits were punished with the utmost severity.

Two disastrous world wars (and subsequent colonial wars) put an end to the ability of European Powers to act in such a way.  A lot of people in Europe haven't really caught on to that yet.

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Police are all murderers here. They all play a part, one way or the other.

I'm thinking it would take about 300,000 troops to invade Thailand and replace the police and military.

then a five year period of executing anyone found guilty of corruption. 

Then 20 years of completely new schools replacing all the teachers, teaching English, math, logic, engineering, computer science.

and of course driving schools, new building and electrical codes...

I would think 500 troups woud be sufficient to have the generals running back to hide behind the barrack walls, waving the white flag to negotiate keeping their status and offering the remaining Thai population to be used at will as slaves.

Sounds similar?

The article written by the Samui times should be sent direct to Kobfart the tourism minister and to General clueless asking for a public response explaining why a tourist is murdered yet the known guilty parties are not brought to justice?

Perhaps Pokémon arrangements are of far more importance!

They issue daily garbage statements about the development of tourism and the safety of visitors to the Kingdom but allow this insanity to continue! Just bewildering!

10 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Police are all murderers here. They all play a part, one way or the other.

I'm thinking it would take about 300,000 troops to invade Thailand and replace the police and military.

then a five year period of executing anyone found guilty of corruption. 

Then 20 years of completely new schools replacing all the teachers, teaching English, math, logic, engineering, computer science.

and of course driving schools, new building and electrical codes...

I'm sure you are only joking and, no offense, but you sound like Dick Cheney and all the other delusional "nation builders." We have plenty of examples of how that's working out.

20 hours ago, dunroaming said:

That would give you the Thailand you want to live in but it is their country and they like it just the way it is, corruption and all.  

Ex-pats choose to live in Thailand and many accept that they are in a pretty lawless, corrupt and dangerous country.  Why should Thailand alter to suit the western lifestyle and their morality.  One more time "embrace it or leave because you will never change it"

I feel just like you do. But I feel really bad for this mans family.

I was just offering my vision of "the way forward". :)

I love Thailand just the way it is. That is why I am here. One of the most "free" places on Earth. Murdering scum and all.

I accept responsibly for my decision to live in Thailand. It is dangerous here. I ride a 650 motorcycle on the highways everyday. We all know how crazy dangerous the way Thais drive.

I like to joke we live in a country that is not properly electrically grounded. :) Except it is not a joke. Where is the fire exit, anyway?  

I keep things simple here and try to use common sense to avoid the obvious problems. Like getting your throat cut by the Mafia motorbike taxi driver who is really the boyfriend of the bar girl he just dropped of at your house.  

OK time for my Sunday afternoon Mad Max motorcycle ride.

On 8/20/2016 at 10:32 AM, williamgeorgeallen said:

foreign embassies tend to stay out of things like this and i dont know why. i can imagine it would be difficult dealing with thai authorities and maybe they just dont bother any more after trying before without getting results.

Well western country's are a bit like Thailand !!! there is also a two level justice system !.. for the common man there is the normal justice ! and for the rich, powerful and famous they would work there asses off....

On 8/20/2016 at 10:48 AM, Bung said:

Why doesn't someone from the German embassy go and ask the police why the murderers are not convicted if any crimes? 

Do they not care? 

On 8/20/2016 at 10:47 AM, SOTIRIOS said:

...and what about the German government and embassy....???

...and the international community....???

... bunches of amazingly useless & krass overpaid parasites, no matter from what side you look at them - and (almost) no matter which country is concerned or what's the actual problem ...

Anyone still paying taxes back home which get misused for that xxx lot?

Cease to do so yesterday !!

On 8/20/2016 at 0:18 PM, zappalot said:

Thailand did some (bureaucratical) favors to the German embassy where Thailand would not need to.

Of course in return the German embassy can not dig to deep or even demand progress in a "cold" case... 

Examples please.

The killers are walking free, like in koh tao case. We farang are just seen as low life in this country. He will never get justice here.

They can kill, rape, assault, once again  mai pen rai.

Now start to think about all the suicide cases, that we read on a daily basis. Do you really believe all these foreigners committed suicide. OR maybe just the police dont bother to investigate when the victim is a farang...:bah:

12 hours ago, Bender said:

The killers are walking free, like in koh tao case. We farang are just seen as low life in this country. He will never get justice here.

They can kill, rape, assault, once again  mai pen rai.

Now start to think about all the suicide cases, that we read on a daily basis. Do you really believe all these foreigners committed suicide. OR maybe just the police dont bother to investigate when the victim is a farang...:bah:

The police may be afraid of the mafia and motocy gang boys, so they cooperate or try to avoid "seeing" what they are up to in order to avoid confrontation and not piss in anyone's rice bowl.  They don't get paid enough (salary) to take any risks.   

Last year, at the winter street fair held on the main highway in my town, the moto morons gathered at the top of my soi on the main road, and were physically stopping cars to see who was inside - I suppose looking for rival members trying to slip in or through town.  The local numpties in brown were 100 yards further up with their blinky lights helping pedestrians across the road, pretending they weren't aware of what was taking place in plain view. 

On 8/20/2016 at 8:12 AM, bdenner said:

Just another fine example of corruption AND incompetence overpowering the Thai judicial system.

A very sad for victims and their families both Thai and Foreign.

No one can be that incompetent. Quick arrests and confessions, specific person identified as slitting the throat, murder weapon in evidence.

Which leads to conclude it must be the other option. So any of these attackers well connected, from prominent local families, wealthy or otherwise?

Just another example, one of many, of open and closed book cases that have gone nowhere fast. And nothing but the usual lame excuses. 

On 8/20/2016 at 3:09 PM, koolkarl said:

I am always amazed at the flippant comments made by foreigners on a topic like this.

I have read about other similar cases, one being an unarmed Canadian shot dead  in a bar in Pai

by an off duty policeman and similar ending to above German.

Point is, an ending like this  can easily happen to any foreigner yet you stay here and play

Russian roulette with your lives.  

Third world countries know that first world countries no longer give a fig about their citizens. They won't rock the boat - only interested in trade and business relations and keeping diplomatic appearances.

If it what a Russian, Japanese, or Chinese citizen then watch and see their governments act more proactively. The fat cat Western politicians and bureaucrats couldn't be bothered.

I don't know the details of this case, but I assure you right now there are hundreds of cases in the U.S. of killings that are "unresolved" from years ago which will probably never be resolved or even brought to court

It is only on television where the police always find a "suspect"

On television there is alway 'fingerprints"or a "clue" that solves the case.

In the real world it is not that easy.

I am not defending the Thai police, i am just telling you the straight facts.

No matter whatnyou see on television only a small percentage of killings go all the way to a conviction.

On 8/22/2016 at 5:40 PM, Baerboxer said:

Third world countries know that first world countries no longer give a fig about their citizens. They won't rock the boat - only interested in trade and business relations and keeping diplomatic appearances.

If it what a Russian, Japanese, or Chinese citizen then watch and see their governments act more proactively. The fat cat Western politicians and bureaucrats couldn't be bothered.

Investigations are entirely the responsibility of the host nation. The system might not fail quite so often if they really were reading from the same textbooks as Scotland Yard.

On 20/08/2016 at 6:56 PM, elgordo38 said:

Take a look at the geriatric red shirt war. They will be tried and prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Why? Because they decided to challenge the junta. There will be no delays like the above case jack boot justice will be swift. That is the two tiered justice system here. 

And yet........the UDD goes on its merry way while nearly the entire leadership have serious outstanding charges.

I remember the story. Thais, especially the menfolk, can be very cunning. Keeping a cool head, in the face of an obvious Thai provocation "set-up", is an absolute must-do survival tactic for all farangs.

However,  Volker Schwartges was probably a typically arrogant HD_HA (pseudo-tough-guy) farang, who block-headedly refused to accept, and, respect the cultural "realities" of life, as an alien guest, within the "turf" of an island community,  in the Kingdom of Thailand.

:whistling:  Sadly,  that "cognitive processing" failure, cost Herr Schwartges his life.

And, more sadly still, two-years after the fact, that particular murder incident has definitely faded into "broadcast news" oblivion. Just the facts of life, in the LOS!:coffee1:  

Archived