Chiang Rai Rangers Searching For Missing Asian Tourist

rooster59

Chiang Rai Rangers Searching For Missing Asian Tourist

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

201608191557204-20021028190521.jpeg

Search parties on Friday inspect one of many caves in the Tham Luang - Khun Nam Nang Non forest park, where a tourist went missing.

CHIANG RAI — Park rangers in Chiang Rai province launched a search Thursday for a foreign tourist who went into the forest to meditate a week ago and then vanished.

The tourist, who was only described by a witness as Asian-looking, was last seen Aug. 12 as he made his way to the Tham Luang – Khun Nam Nang Non forest park, known for its many caverns.

“We have sent out search parties until we find him, dead or alive,” forest park director Sawasdi Taweerat told reporters Friday.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2016/08/20/chiang-rai-rangers-searching-missing-asian-tourist/

Khaosod; 2016-08-20

Maybe he's engaged in an extended meditation of over a week's duration.

Does anyone know where this area is?  I'm somewhat familiar with rocky areas nw of Chiang Rai.  I've put in over 1,000 hours of scrambling in the region.   

As for animals:  there are essentially none.  No wild mammals, anyway.  No monitor lizards, few poisonous snakes.   A Karen friend told me there are giant pythons still around, but haven't seen any.  The last constrictor snake I've heard of in the wild was found on one of my rural parcels.  My workers were about to kill it - to sell to a Chinese restaurant, when a farang came by (he heard the commotion) and paid the workers to spare it - in order to take the snake to the C.Rai zoo south of town - where (I think) it resides. 

Missing Japanese tourist believed found in cave after villager has dream

p1.jpg

Image: Daily News

CHIANG RAI: -- Search teams believe they have found the location of the body of a missing Japanese tourist almost two weeks after he disappeared.

The 50-60 year old Japanese man disappeared August 12th while cycling in the Mae Sai, Chiang Rai area almost two weeks ago, reported Daily News.

A search of the area failed to find him until villager Bunraeng Chompupor had a dream that his spirit was trapped in the Khun Nam Nang Norn Cave. 

A group of locals went to the area for another look where they conducted a ceremony according to local superstitious beliefs outside the cave entrance.

They soon detected a foul odour coming from the cave that they believe is from the dead body of the man.

A provincial search team including divers was called in who made an effort to reach the source of the smell. 

But this proved to be impossible as there was deep water in the cave after heavy rains.

The search team are continuing to look at ways to get inside so that they can complete the job. The tourist has not been named.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-22

On 8/22/2016 at 7:32 PM, SOTIRIOS said:

,,,why would anyone enter a cave...and not exit....???

I went in a cave near C.Rai recently.  I had been in it before.  It was a narrow passage for 100 meters, then opens into several large chambers.  I brought 2 flashlights because if I had only one and it went out (while in the chambers) there's very slight chance I could find the passage back.  I heard there was a man and 2 children who went in there a few years ago.   Their light went out (candles?).  They would have died in there, but luckily, someone knew where they went, so a rescue party went and found them. They'd been in the cave 3 days and 2 nights.   There's zero natural light in there, and even the loudest noise wouldn't be heard from outside.

Archived