Ref Watch 2016/2017

Chicog

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

Bob Madley today was giving away cheap free kicks and handing out soft yellows against Liverpool. Reacting to the crowds call, and I think we should of had a second penalty and the second goal should have stood. Weak refereeing performance. 

he was crap and inconsistent. 5 yellows for us in a totally un-physical game really. 

On 8/25/2016 at 3:18 PM, Sparkles said:

When I had TRUE I used to buy the Saturday Bangkok Post.The sports section listed what was available and usually accurate.

Which begs the question why can't TRUE give the fixtures to their subscribers ?

Given the thread, I'd blame Howard Webb.

19 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Bob, not agreeing or disagreeing, but:

1. "Handing out soft yellows against Liverpool". There were 5, which didn't you agree with?

2. "second penalty" - For?

3. "second goal should have stood" - TV replay showed lallana inches offside.

Ballacks offside 

image.jpeg

"the spurs' lad's arm is in the box. on."

See last part of Law 11 - offside

A player is in an offside position if:

any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line) and

any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent

The hands and arms of ALL players, including the goalkeepers, are not considered.

18 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

Regarding the second penalty, 

Vertongen dragged Matip to the deck off a corner, the ref stops play and tells him to stop it. Last week that was a penalty. 

Deffo penalty that one. The ball was already in play, the ref saw that Matip had been dragged down. You can't then stop the game to warn him to stop it.   Therefore, he fouled him whilst the ball was in play and so a pen should have been given

11 hours ago, alfieconn said:

Ref was terrible, Mane should have got sent off for committing two fouls after his booking, Spurs should have had a pen for Matip impeding Jansen , all the ref got right was booking a couple of Liverpool players under the new rules of dissent etc.

No mention of any of these by the Liverpool lot, strange that :facepalm: oh i get it  they only query bad decisions that go against them not for them !!! 

9 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

No mention of any of these by the Liverpool lot, strange that :facepalm: oh i get it  they only query bad decisions that go against them not for them !!! 

To be fair i'd add to that the Vertoghen shirt pulling in the box.  He's going to give away penalties this season because probably due to his lack of height he's always grabbing at his markers at the set piece but rules have changed since last season.

Don't know how he got away with just a caution when blatantly pulling a player back.  Mane definitely should have gone too and not giving a penalty when Janssen was blocked was farcical.

Just poor officiating throughout in my book

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 7:38 PM, Bredbury Blue said:

Sparkles, are you posting this in the right forum?

Obviously a senior moment but the info remains the same for those trying to find out what, and whats not, being shown:coffee1:

Re refereeing the inconsistency  is high on the agenda already ,be nice to talk about the football and not the referees performances, they really need to be on the same page

13 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

Bob Madley today was giving away cheap free kicks and handing out soft yellows against Liverpool. Reacting to the crowds call, and I think we should of had a second penalty and the second goal should have stood. Weak refereeing performance. 

Lets be very clear about this Bob.  Yes you should have had a second penalty but we should also have been awarded one for that ridiculous block on Janssen by Matip.  That was laughable.  Your disallowed goal was offside, be it by inches but nonetheless offside. So, to that end it should most definitely not have stood.  Agreed?

I also felt that a lack of discipline gave the opportunity for a weak match official to dish out soft yellows.  Make of that what you will.  There was a referee that was out of his depth, plain and simple.

Cant post on the Liverpool thread due to continued software glitches but i did read your comment about Mane being possibly the next Suarez!!!  Well if Mane was twice as good as he is now he's still be half as good as Suarez is. And was for that matter.  Got some pace, decent ball skill and........

Cant see Sturbridge at Liverpool past the january window.  Think he's really upset Klopp otherwise why would you leave your best striker, fit, sitting on the bench?

"Well if Mane was twice as good as he is now he's still be half as good as Suarez is. And was for that matter.  Got some pace, decent ball skill and........"

I'm eating a bit of humble pie as in the summer I said I didn't rate Mane but he's really impressed me at Liverpool this season.

2 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

"Well if Mane was twice as good as he is now he's still be half as good as Suarez is. And was for that matter.  Got some pace, decent ball skill and........"

I'm eating a bit of humble pie as in the summer I said I didn't rate Mane but he's really impressed me at Liverpool this season.

Big difference between impressing and drawing comparisons to Suarez second game into the season.

15 hours ago, StevieH said:

he's obviously level. notwithstanding that thing about giving the benefit of the doubt to the attackers. the spurs' lad's arm is in the box. on.

Not a chance can you make that call from the angle shown.  Whereas the guy on the touchline was presumably level with play?  Have to take it he was don't we?

36 minutes ago, carmine said:

Big difference between impressing and drawing comparisons to Suarez second game into the season.

I said IF he keeps this up he'll be the next Suarez, big difference to your interpretation of what i said.

It wasn't a direct comparison to style of play either, it was meant in regard to the impact and influence on the match. Ie; winning matches. 

2 hours ago, carmine said:

Cant see Sturbridge at Liverpool past the january window.  Think he's really upset Klopp otherwise why would you leave your best striker, fit, sitting on the bench?

He is not mobile enough for Klopp's style of play. Being a master poacher around the box i think he will see more games against teams who will sit back.  

No dog in any of these ref discussions, but I thought Janssen clearly initiated contact in that one non call. He may end up being a decent player, but in his short time in the league I've noticed him frequently trying to work the refs.

14 hours ago, carmine said:

To be fair i'd add to that the Vertoghen shirt pulling in the box.  He's going to give away penalties this season because probably due to his lack of height he's always grabbing at his markers at the set piece but rules have changed since last season.

Don't know how he got away with just a caution when blatantly pulling a player back.  Mane definitely should have gone too and not giving a penalty when Janssen was blocked was farcical.

Just poor officiating throughout in my book

As indeed should have Lamela :whistling:Cq9n8FIWAAE6kgU.jpg

Cq9n8FJWYAAe0-y.jpg

13 hours ago, jellydog said:
On 8/28/2016 at 0:30 AM, BangrakBob said:

Regarding the second penalty, 

Vertongen dragged Matip to the deck off a corner, the ref stops play and tells him to stop it. Last week that was a penalty. 

This clears that one up :  As Liverpool found out to their detriment, Law 12 can only be applied when the ball is in play. Vertonghen's clash with Matip came moments before Jordan Henderson took Liverpool's corner and put the ball into play. As a result, referee Robert Madley was able to warn both players without awarding a penalty.

Dermot Gallagher's opinions on the major incidents from the weekend at:
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11714/10556960/ref-watch

The curious one for me is the one below. So if Jan Vertonghen pulls down Joel Matip in the penalty area, no spot kick is given as the ball was not in play, then if Vertonghen had punched Matip in clear view of everybody instead of pulling down Matip it's still no penalty as the ball is dead but presumably a sending off - correct?

"INCIDENT: Jan Vertonghen pulls down Joel Matip in the penalty area, no spot kick is given by Robert Madley
SCENARIO: Just before a corner is taken, Liverpool's Matip goes down in the area after contact with Vertonghen - no penalty is given as the ball was not in play
DERMOT'S VERDICT: Correct decision
DERMOT SAYS: The ball was dead so the referee can't give a foul, even though everybody argues it is [a foul]. The best result there was to warn the player, send out the message, because that didn't happen at a corner again. "

Aguero incident:
"a new video emerged that appears to show he made no contact with Winston Reid"

Watched this video lots of times. It's taken from almost behind the ref and would be similar to the view the ref had. Looks like the ref had a clear view of the incident. Not convinced that Aguero throws his arm maliciously, looks more like two players jostling for balance and control of the other. Does Agueros elbow connect? If anything connects looks more like his wrist. But does anything connect?
What do you see?

http://metro.co.uk/2016/08/29/sergio-aguero-could-escape-ban-as-new-video-suggests-he-may-have-made-no-contact-with-winston-reid-6097453/

I see him connect with a forearm smash and the point of the elbow smashing into Reids lower neck just under the side of the chin.

Reid did go off after that incident due to concussion did you not notice that?

2 game ban from today. :)

Archived