BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

800 year old castle in Korat successfully renovated

18 hours ago, impulse said:

Like Stonehenge looks any better?  Yet, it draws tourists by the busload...

Still, I hope they didn't spend their tourist earnings just yet.

Really cannot compare the 2. Stonehenge hasn't been 'renovated', maybe they propped up a few stones but basically it has been 'conserved'. The setting of Stonehenge also adds to its mystic.

Maybe the article used the wrong word, a renovation (or recontruction) is basically bringing it back to would it looked like orignally; it would have been plastered and painted etc. I wouldn't even go so far as saying the Korat castle has been conserved, just partially reassembled. Even so, i'd still go and see it as i like looking at this old structures, as long as they don't charge me farang price!

an interesting short video on how Angor Wat may have looked, i'm not saying the building in Korat looked like this, but it would certainly attract a lot more visitors if it did! :)

http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/videos/a-digital-reconstruction-of-angkor-wat/20077

I've been to quite alot of the khmer ruins sites around Thailand, and about 25 years I visited Prasat Hin Muang Tam and then Phanom Rung 8kms away (I've visited Phanom Rung quite a few times over the years). The former had been only partially restored and I found it far more interesting than the fully restored Phanom Rung. Earlier this year I visited them both again, Prasat Hin Muang Tam has now been fully restored and it's very impressive and I continue to prefer it to the tourist attraction of Phanom Rung.
I for one enjoy these places but I enjoy any historical place in any country.

I don't think you can really compare Phanom Rung with Meuang Tam. They are basically different structural designs. Phanom Rung is a much more elaborate building. When I first visited Meuang Tam it was merely a jumbles pile of bricks in a field. It took almost twenty years to restore P. Rung whereas once they got started on M. Tam it was completed in about seven.

The atmosphere in both places is IMO quite different. Meuang Tam is a laid back place where it's nice to stroll around the grounds at your leisure, whereas Phanom Rung is a striking example of Khmer Ankhor Wat type architecture, and there are of course the splendid views out over Southern Buriram Province from the top of the mountain.

^The comparison I made was with regards my preference. I think I dislike the coach party crowds at phanom rung and like having muang tam to myself (same as I prefer Si Satchanalai to Sukhothai).

Sounds like we viewed muang tam decades ago in the same state.