Sleep your way to fat loss!

JSixpack

16 minutes ago, Alive said:

I have another general comment. Why is it people come onto the fat forum to say that fat people have no willpower yet these same folks won't go onto the Smoking forum or Drinking forum and spout their logic. We have to face food everyday and it is addictive. People will kill other to eat when they are starving. The problem of weight loss is not simple; you can't stop cold turkey like you can with smoking and drinking and drugs. Yes, it's a big problem worldwide but the people who have to deal with it don't need to hear from trolls who seek them out to shame them or to tell them that they are weak or have no willpower.

Yeah, nobody is fat shaming. It really is this simple: Eat less calories than your body needs to maintain your current weight. Don't need to starve, don't need to kill anyone, the solution really is that simple. This, combined with exercise, will take it even further. 

UNLESS there is a mental health problem associated with it, a legitimate health problem, or an addiction with food. I mean actual addiction, not using addiction as a cover-all scapegoat. 

If its a mental health or addiction problem, the this needs to addressed first and there are ways to recovery. 

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Alive said:

You can't explain everything so simply. Why aren't you an Olympic athlete or NBA superstar if all people are the equally the same? Please tell us why you aren't an Olympic athlete or why you absolutely could have been one. By your logic ,you just have to exercise more to be that Olympic athlete so why didn't you have that willpower.

Genetics can not be changed. Every person has a baseline that can not be changed. Height, reach, etc, can not be changed. 

Bodyweight CAN be changed and the solution is simple, eat less calories than your body needs to maintain current weight. 

4 minutes ago, Strange said:

Genetics can not be changed. Every person has a baseline that can not be changed. Height, reach, etc, can not be changed. 

Bodyweight CAN be changed and the solution is simple, eat less calories than your body needs to maintain current weight. 

Partly correct,,, problem is that how much hunger someone has is also set by genetics (how you respond to leptine). I won't shame fat people.. and in my opinion everyone can improve on themselves. But we are not all born with the same genes. I could eat all day and it costs some effort to keep it under control. But on the other hand i can gain muscle (compared to others not top bodybuilders) better then many. 

However getting as lean as some is quite hard for me... I am on 1500 calories (i count them wel weigh my food ect)  Normally I am higher but I am going all out to see how low i can go bodyfat wise. I exercise 4 days a week .. about 2 hours per time. Half of it is cardio on a concept rowing machine and still my weightloss is almost not measurable. I keep going on because I know i do it well.. and I also know the body hides fat loss at times by holding on to water and stuff. 

Still there will be others who would be lean in a month on a diet and exercise program like that. So I really dont think everyone is the same. i do think people don't have to be really overweight and they can improve if they want. But its never easy. 

1 hour ago, Alive said:

I know a guy who laid down to sleep and never woke up. It was amazing how he lost weight and eventually even disappeared!:shock1:

I've always loved that exchange with George Burns, who lived to be 100:

"Is it true that you smoke eight to ten cigars a day?"
"That's true."
"Is it true that you drink five martinis a day?"
"That's true."
"Is it true that you still surround yourself with beautiful young women?"
"That's true."
"What does your doctor say about all of this?"
"My doctor is dead."

You'll occasionally run across interviews with centenarians who'll say they followed no diet and drank and smoked. In fact one attributed a long life specifically to alcohol. 

So then the question becomes, what's the likelihood that you yourself are one of these invulnerables? You certain you aren't going to fall victim to some debilitating illness made more likely by being overweight or even obese? Me, I seem to have pretty good genes, but surely not that good. Yeah, better for me reasonably to minimize the risks. Reasonably.

2 minutes ago, robblok said:
11 minutes ago, Strange said:

Partly correct,,, problem is that how much hunger someone has is also set by genetics (how you respond to leptine). I won't shame fat people.. and in my opinion everyone can improve on themselves. But we are not all born with the same genes. I could eat all day and it costs some effort to keep it under control. But on the other hand i can gain muscle (compared to others not top bodybuilders) better then many. 

However getting as lean as some is quite hard for me... I am on 1500 calories (i count them wel weigh my food ect)  Normally I am higher but I am going all out to see how low i can go bodyfat wise. I exercise 4 days a week .. about 2 hours per time. Half of it is cardio on a concept rowing machine and still my weightloss is almost not measurable. I keep going on because I know i do it well.. and I also know the body hides fat loss at times by holding on to water and stuff. 

Still there will be others who would be lean in a month on a diet and exercise program like that. So I really dont think everyone is the same. i do think people don't have to be really overweight and they can improve if they want. But its never easy. 

Agreed, and I'm the same, easily add muscle and hard to lose fat/water regardless of diet but it can be done. I also struggle with blood sugar crashes when dieting real low in carbs/calories, but I overcome that by spending meals out 6 times a day, or by simply eating what my body is clearly telling me I need to. 

In responding to @Alive Im purely talking in terms of an overweight/obese person trying to "lose weight" and when we get into the Bodybuilding side it starts to overcomplicate things for a beginner and I think its part of the reason people get overwhelmed when thinking about dieting. 

Another thing to note, an obese/overweight person that eats 5-6-7k calories a day, then tries to drop to 2k a day overnight, will struggle with hunger and other uncomfortable feelings. Another reason I think people can't keep up or "Give Up". Too much too fast. The body needs time to acclimate to whatever you are doing. Whether this is because of leptine or what, I don't know, but for an obese person to lose weight keep it simple and don't overcomplicate it. Figure out what you are eating in a regular day, then gradually drop calories and exercise until the scale tells you you are going down in weight. 

Its not easy, but it IS easy if you know what I mean. Everyone is a bit different in nutritional requirements, but I really don't like to over complicate it. For an overweight person, there is so much distraction from the facts on the internet and magazines, retarded "Diets" and supplements... 

People are genetically different in height, reach, hand size, foot size, etc.... And people are genetically different in that some easily lose fat or gain muscle, but for an overweight/obese person looking to lose weight the starting point is so easy. Eat less calories per day and exercise. 

1 hour ago, Strange said:

Agreed, and I'm the same, easily add muscle and hard to lose fat/water regardless of diet but it can be done. I also struggle with blood sugar crashes when dieting real low in carbs/calories, but I overcome that by spending meals out 6 times a day, or by simply eating what my body is clearly telling me I need to. 

In responding to @Alive Im purely talking in terms of an overweight/obese person trying to "lose weight" and when we get into the Bodybuilding side it starts to overcomplicate things for a beginner and I think its part of the reason people get overwhelmed when thinking about dieting. 

Another thing to note, an obese/overweight person that eats 5-6-7k calories a day, then tries to drop to 2k a day overnight, will struggle with hunger and other uncomfortable feelings. Another reason I think people can't keep up or "Give Up". Too much too fast. The body needs time to acclimate to whatever you are doing. Whether this is because of leptine or what, I don't know, but for an obese person to lose weight keep it simple and don't overcomplicate it. Figure out what you are eating in a regular day, then gradually drop calories and exercise until the scale tells you you are going down in weight. 

Its not easy, but it IS easy if you know what I mean. Everyone is a bit different in nutritional requirements, but I really don't like to over complicate it. For an overweight person, there is so much distraction from the facts on the internet and magazines, retarded "Diets" and supplements... 

People are genetically different in height, reach, hand size, foot size, etc.... And people are genetically different in that some easily lose fat or gain muscle, but for an overweight/obese person looking to lose weight the starting point is so easy. Eat less calories per day and exercise. 

Oh yes I agree for most its simply just eat less and exercise more. That always works (for a while at least and if your really obese its easy to start losing weight. I also agree one should go slow not too fast. A lot of information is now used to NOT take charge thinking its impossible. That is why i always say they can improve. 

I agree on eating less and exercising but the biological reasons people eat aren't the same. The stupid caloric math is posted by people who know nothing really. They just want to say the entire world has no willpower. If they have one calorie over weight they are weak and equal to the fattest person in terms of lack of willpower. They think all people are equal but simple farming says that isn't so. Why are some cows better milk producers? Do they just eat more? Why not just get all cows to eat more and make lots of milk rather than import "milk cows" The next time you want a steak have a nice Thai one. Paying the same for Aussie or foreign beef is just a lie. Thai cows are just thinner because they have better willpower obviously, right Strangeman?

4 hours ago, Strange said:

Yeah, nobody is fat shaming. It really is this simple: Eat less calories than your body needs to maintain your current weight. Don't need to starve, don't need to kill anyone, the solution really is that simple. This, combined with exercise, will take it even further. 

UNLESS there is a mental health problem associated with it, a legitimate health problem, or an addiction with food. I mean actual addiction, not using addiction as a cover-all scapegoat. 

If its a mental health or addiction problem, the this needs to addressed first and there are ways to recovery. 

I agree. A lot of disgruntled fat people are trying to baffle the problem with science, making it seem so absurdly complicated that there is no point trying anymore. 

There is no easy way currently known, but that's what people are looking for. Yes, we can find ways to make it easier, but that doesn't mean it's going to be easy.

Lack of exercise destroys the body slowly over time. The only way to reverse this damage is to exercise. 

1 hour ago, Alive said:

I agree on eating less and exercising but the biological reasons people eat aren't the same. The stupid caloric math is posted by people who know nothing really. They just want to say the entire world has no willpower. If they have one calorie over weight they are weak and equal to the fattest person in terms of lack of willpower. They think all people are equal but simple farming says that isn't so. Why are some cows better milk producers? Do they just eat more? Why not just get all cows to eat more and make lots of milk rather than import "milk cows" The next time you want a steak have a nice Thai one. Paying the same for Aussie or foreign beef is just a lie. Thai cows are just thinner because they have better willpower obviously, right Strangeman?

You really do go on with your metaphors. Last post it was about Olympic champions, now it's about steak, milk, cows and Aussie beef.

Willpower is the biggest component. Without that you're sunk.

I can get fat just as easily as most people if I start eating too much and getting lazy. Like most people I love my chocolates and other delightful junk foods and exercise is a chore.

What gets me to exercise 5 or 6 times a week and stop eating junk? It's motivation mate - and willpower. That needs to be developed too.

Where does my motivation come from? Goals to stay fit, healthy and lean, and be around longer for my young wife.:smile:

You make far too much about genetics. I know my place genetically - right about average in most aspects. The point is to make the best of what you've got.

tropo, you think all people are equal genetically and that is just something stupid to think. I give you some ways to look at the truth and you are incapable of understanding the points. I get your point about exercise and weight loss. Do you eat whatever you want as all calories are the same? No you eat healthy. You really should take your shaming to the alcohol or smoking thread where those people can follow your advise. Why don't you try your willpower whining  there?

22 minutes ago, Alive said:

tropo, you think all people are equal genetically and that is just something stupid to think. I give you some ways to look at the truth and you are incapable of understanding the points. I get your point about exercise and weight loss. Do you eat whatever you want as all calories are the same? No you eat healthy. You really should take your shaming to the alcohol or smoking thread where those people can follow your advise. Why don't you try your willpower whining  there?

These morality arguments here are endless. In my view, to suggest the health issues of overweight and obesity are only about personal will power and that weight control is only about simple (more like simple MINDED) math have no place on this forum. But instead, the insults and the moral crusade POV DOMINATES this forum. That's a reason I am not active on this forum recently. It's more like a nasty comment section on an article about obesity on the general web rather than a serious space about overweight/obesity related health topics.

In other words, it's a DAMAGING place for actual people dealing with these issues, rather than a helpful space. Sure, you'll get people disagreeing, but that means nothing. Clearly a significant percentage of Thaivisa have issues with overweight/obesity but only a tiny percentage bother to post on this forum. Because it's a MEAN AND NASTY space dominated by morality crusading and science denial.

I'll share this article again for readers interested in more realistic way to see the health issues of overweight/obesity than the endless ignorant, and not at all HELPFUL,  morality lectures --

Diet and exercise alone rarely help people lose weight and keep it off. 

“We talk about ‘people with obesity,’ not ‘obese people,’ a phrasing that is more about identity,” he said. From a medical point of view, obesity, like asthma, is something that happens to a person—a disease with many etiologies, not all of them well understood. Dietz went on, “Embedded in the stigmatization of obesity is the idea that this is something that people have done to themselves; that’s not the way to understand it.”

“People often have moral judgment in this area,” Marc Bessler, who was among the first physicians in the nation to perform a bariatric surgical procedure laparoscopically, in 1997, told me. “But I don’t think that’s helpful.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/09/26/bariatric-surgery-the-solution-to-obesity?mbid=synd_digg

Cheers. 

26 minutes ago, Alive said:

Nobody says we are all the same.. but we can all get to a normal weight.. and yes that is based on willpower and the will to change. Without fundamental changes you will always stay fat. Once you make the changes and stick to them you can gain a normal weight. Some people have to do less for the same results.. unfortunate.. but nobody needs to be really fat.. We cant all be super slim.. but we dont need to be much too heavy.

Ah JT with his American view that only an operation would help.. not strange that the one who pioneered the bariatric surgery would be in favor of it. That is like asking an arms dealer if weapons are safe.

I can agree its not easy for everyone.. but most fat people that i see eating (in restaurants and such) are not eating healthy stuff or normal portions. Guess that must be in my imagination. 

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

Ah JT with his American view that only an operation would help.. not strange that the one who pioneered the bariatric surgery would be in favor of it. That is like asking an arms dealer if weapons are safe.

I can agree its not easy for everyone.. but most fat people that i see eating (in restaurants and such) are not eating healthy stuff or normal portions. Guess that must be in my imagination. 

Now with the American bashing as well? You're such an expert on people --  you see them eating in restaurants. Wow. Impressive. Very scientific.

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Now with the American bashing as well? You're such an expert on people --  you see them eating in restaurants. Wow. Impressive. Very scientific.

Says the guy who's hobby it is visiting restaurants and wonders why he is overweight. 

Not American bashing.. but its well known that in the USA they try to treat everything with medicine.. without even trying diet. They don't even look at going low carb for diabetics. And now someone who practically invented  bariatric  is saying its the onlly way.. ever heard of conflict of interest. 

And no my method is not real scientific.. but i just started to notice overweight people and what they eat and most were not eating healthy and not eating a little bit. I wanted to know if it was really true that overweight people ate more.. and in general what I have seen it definitely looks that way. I see way more fat people eating at the KFC for instance then the salad bar that i often visit.. coincidence ?

On 9/29/2016 at 4:02 PM, SummerHaze said:

I think that the more important are healthy diet and intensive workouts. I am on the way to lose a few pounds

Yes, of course it's more important.  Continue or this path of reduced calories and increased exercise and you will lose weight.

No, it's not easy but people can and do lose weight doing just this.  "Sleeping your way to fat loss"?  Not so much.

Good luck in reaching a healthy weight.  :)

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

i just started to notice overweight people and what they eat and most were not eating healthy and not eating a little bit. I wanted to know if it was really true that overweight people ate more.. and in general what I have seen it definitely looks that way. I see way more fat people eating at the KFC for instance then the salad bar that i often visit.. coincidence ?

No, it's not a coincidence.

Fat people are fat because (for whatever reason) they are unable to display self-control.

To anyone reading this post:  You can lose weight.  It is possible.  But you will have to do what is necessary to lose weight before you will lose weight.    Some on here will look for any and all excuses under the sun.  But deep down everyone knows the truth.  And they also know what they have to do about it:  Eat less and exercise more.

1 hour ago, Alive said:

(There really is no need to start flaming in the health forum - by suggesting I'm stupid)

I have not mentioned anywhere that we are all equal genetically. I said you are making far too much of genetics AND that I know my place - average genetics. The point I was making is that we all have our own genetic potential, so we can work with that, not use it as an excuse to remain fat.

I'd be fat like you (I'm assuming you're fat because you're so sensitive) if I didn't exercise willpower and motivation. I am not in good condition due to genetics as I have already stated I'm average in that area. If I'm shaming you now, it's for calling me stupid.:rolleyes:

I've been a lot fatter than I am now too - which has happened at points in my life where I got lazy and didn't exercise enough or control myself in the kitchen.

Anyway, I can see your friend JT likes everything you say, so you have your support here for the theory that it's all too complicated, so why try?

49 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

These morality arguments here are endless. In my view, to suggest the health issues of overweight and obesity are only about personal will power and that weight control is only about simple (more like simple MINDED) math have no place on this forum. But instead, the insults and the moral crusade POV DOMINATES this forum. That's a reason I am not active on this forum recently. It's more like a nasty comment section on an article about obesity on the general web rather than a serious space about overweight/obesity related health topics.

In other words, it's a DAMAGING place for actual people dealing with these issues, rather than a helpful space. Sure, you'll get people disagreeing, but that means nothing. Clearly a significant percentage of Thaivisa have issues with overweight/obesity but only a tiny percentage bother to post on this forum. Because it's a MEAN AND NASTY space dominated by morality crusading and science denial.

I'll share this article again for readers interested in more realistic way to see the health issues of overweight/obesity than the endless ignorant, and not at all HELPFUL,  morality lectures --

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/09/26/bariatric-surgery-the-solution-to-obesity?mbid=synd_digg

Cheers. 

I read your post, and, the entire article (very long btw) just to make sure I'm not missing anything. 

Look, a lot of these articles you read, there is a huge conflict of interest. Next, people see medical doctors say that obesity is a "Disease" and immediately read into it that its a "Genetic Defect" and "Born with it, can't change it" and this is not the case. 

There are many MANY definitions of "Disease". Yes Asthma is a disease. Doctors also say Heroin Addicts have the "Disease of Addiction". 

Look, here is an article from the American Heart Association, not a magazine/news article. 

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/WeightManagement/Obesity/Treating-Obesity-as-a-Disease_UCM_459557_Article.jsp#.V--AgjJ7GRs

As with Smoking, Alcoholism, Addiction, the absolute very first thing is having a deep desire to change. You can not lose weight, stop smoking, put down drugs/alcohol unless you want to and I mean REALLY want to. 

And if you REALLY want to do all this, then its not complicated. 

Far and away it is backed by Science and Medical Professionals that obesity is harmful to your health. 

44 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Your method is the opposite of scientific. I'm glad you realize that. 

Anyway, I've said what I wanted to say. Back to the nasty comments section "health" forum and ignorant, unscientific endless MORALITY lectures.

Enjoy!

JT can I ask, what exactly are you trying to debate? 

2 minutes ago, Strange said:

As with Smoking, Alcoholism, Addiction, the absolute very first thing is having a deep desire to change. You can not lose weight, stop smoking, put down drugs/alcohol unless you want to and I mean REALLY want to. 

And if you REALLY want to do all this, then its not complicated. 

Far and away it is backed by Science and Medical Professionals that obesity is harmful to your health. 

So your problem was merely one of semantics. We call it "willpower", you call it "really want to do".

9 minutes ago, Strange said:

Very true. I stopped smoking 30+ years ago when I started playing squash. The only way to win at the sport was to get fit and give up smoking. Easy-peasy.

4 minutes ago, tropo said:

So your problem was merely semantics. We call it "willpower", you call it "really want to do".

Willpower is taking action, meaning you have already made the decision and are actively doing what you decided. 

Before this happens, the realization that there is, in fact, a problem, (Weight/Eating) and a decision is made to change. You have to really want to do something in the beginning, before willpower takes over. 

6 minutes ago, Strange said:

Willpower is taking action, meaning you have already made the decision and are actively doing what you decided. 

Before this happens, the realization that there is, in fact, a problem, (Weight/Eating) and a decision is made to change. You have to really want to do something in the beginning, before willpower takes over. 

Yes, indeed.

And such decisions are made everyday by people dealing with weight issues.

Yet, STRANGELY, the vast majority do fail  (this is a KNOWN SCIENTIFIC FACT) to keep off weight that is lost LONG TERM.

Losing weight is a MUCH LESSER task than keeping it off LONG TERM. 

Typically if you see an overweight adult, they have been through this failure cycle MANY TIMES. 

Is that all about just will power?

Or perhaps there are many other COMPLEX FACTORS going into this provably massive FAILURE RATE?!? 

The morality preachers and fat shamers say no, it's ALL about will power and simple calorie math ... so they encourage society (which already does) to see people with weight issues as both "fat" and immoral (lacking self control they say). 

Serious scientists in the field say the reality is MUCH MORE complex. 

4 minutes ago, Strange said:

So you're saying> motivation > willpower > action. No argument there.  

IMO the best course of action is exercise then diet. By "diet" I mean calorie restriction and modification. If you can start at the same time, even better. Exercise helps to repair the metabolic damage caused by inactivity, One of the main problems, particularly in over 40's, is insulin resistance, which makes it hard to burn fat. Exercise also improve mood and lowers (emotional) stress, which will make it easier to become motivated.

Finding the best type of exercise for your particular physical condition is the key. I see too many overweight people killing themselves on runs/jogs - looks like torture. That's no way to gain motivation.

Arguing on Thaivisa is a very stressful occupation, so a good exercise session does wonders.:D I'm off to burn my fat. See ya later!

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, indeed.

And such decisions are made everyday by people dealing with weight issues.

Yet, STRANGELY, the vast majority do fail  (this is a KNOWN SCIENTIFIC FACT) to keep off weight that is lost LONG TERM.

Losing weight is a MUCH LESSER task than keeping it off LONG TERM. 

Typically if you see an overweight adult, they have been through this failure cycle MANY TIMES. 

Is that all about just will power?

Or perhaps there are many other COMPLEX FACTORS going into this provably massive FAILURE RATE?!? 

The morality preachers and fat shamers say no, it's ALL about will power and simple calorie math ... so they encourage society (which already does) to see people with weight issues as both "fat" and immoral (lacking self control they say). 

Every obese person that I know "indulges" in unhealthy eating habits. Every one. They have unhealthy lifestyles developed over a lifetime.  Habits are very hard to break. There is a problem of recidivism because the weight-loss approach is often seen as a temporary sacrifice and as soon as the target weight is reached then its viewed as a success and a return to those old habits is the reward.

I feel bad for overweight people because genetics does play a role more with some than with others; however, habits can be changed and lifestyles can be modified. 

Calories IN vs Calories burned. 

Look at the lifestyle choices and diets of folks in Mississippi vs the folks in Colorado. 

Not hard to figure out.

My home of CO is the "fittest" place in the US and has the lowest obesity rates. Do you know what you see people doing every where you go? Exercising. They are running, biking, going to the gym, they lead active lifestyles. 

21 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

So fat shaming is not PC but shaming those that are not fat is OK ?

If someone is fighting weight issues and they constantly view themselves as a victim then they are not going to succeed. Losing the weight and keeping it off requires taking responsibility for ones own lifestyle choices.

Habits are hard to break. Its a real challenge but people do it every day.

Archived