More Samui army clean-up and night-life changes

There was a long traffic queue between Maenam Post Office and Bo Phut's Fisherman Village intersection, which showed to be caused by soldiers checking the shops and stalls both side of the Ring Road; probably signs hanging out over public road – which has been mentioned before – but I also noticed soldiers and civilians in hectic discussion in front of one of the many new "Exchange" stalls that have popped-up recently about every few hundred meters along this part of the Ring Road, some take up little sidewalk space.

20160823_army-clean-up.jpg

The result of the army drug-check at Sound Club a few weeks ago – was there, all us farangs were let out about 4 am, opposite what the news media wrote, whilst the Thais were checked; one of our friends draw number 400 and was out 8 am – that has resulted in that Sound Club is now closed. They seem to have operated without proper license – presumable to be open after 2 am – a couple of girls in Happy Bar opposite told, that Sound Club just paid police to stay open, and now they have been banned for five years by the soldiers. This incident has resulted in all night-life in Chaweng now close a 2 am sharp.

After the recent shooting at Bar Solo, it's now closed with in a sign saying "Under reconstruction". The widow to the manager – he is called "Big Boss" and owner by locals – is a Western lady, who will leave Thailand now and move their little daughter to a school in UK. Earlier it has been mentioned in this forum, that it is same owner – or family that owns – Sound Club, Bar Solo, the small arena at the end of Soi Solo (the old afterparty Solo Bar), Lake View (presently unused), and Cha Cha Moon. Perhaps someone can shed more light on that..?

Furthermore I've been told, from normally most reliable local Chinese source, that Green Mango has been sold to a Bangkok company, and they plan a complete reconstruction. If that is so, then the famous Samui night-life will never be the same...

Appreciate your report from the trenches Khun Per

I think the crackdown in samui is great…and long overdue….the place has lost its mind….used to be a beautiful place where you went to seek solitude and a good beach holiday above all else….the girls were just a bonus.

Now its just about opening big brand stores like a frikkin city in an urban area. They've ruined the place….fortunately some areas of lama in the village are still cool.

That's how it goes. You have a piece of land that has a few bungalows on it. The place becomes popular with backpackers. McDonalds comes along and offers you a large amount for a lease. All of a sudden everyone wants the same for their land. So prices and rents go up for everyone. A few people get rich and everyone else is under stress. No longer laid back, they are under stress to pay the rent and to sell their wares...and the tourists feel the brunt of stressed out vendors and greedy  and unscrupulous Timeshare touts.

Soon the only people who can afford to keep the pyramid scheme going are the big companies. And so it goes. They keep taking until the island has nothing left to give. Enjoy it whilst you can.

12 hours ago, frankxxxxxxxxxx said:

good report, but long time that samui is a dump and that people who really like a quiet beach go to KPG...

Very stupid post: Samui has lots of very quiet beaches. Obviously you are a Chaweng merchant, get around, plenty of beaches that can be had by yourself and nobody else. I hear the 'quiet' KPG beach every month .... ;)

On 8/24/2016 at 9:15 AM, frankxxxxxxxxxx said:

good report, but long time that samui is a dump and that people who really like a quiet beach go to KPG...

Can you please for our sake & health elaborate more on this mind blowing revelation. I really can't wait:cheesy:

25 minutes ago, innocenthai said:

I agree that when you all start a real life visit north and north east of kohphangan and you will know what is a quiet beach. samui was quiet at some places 10 years ago. If you still think that it is, sorry but it really means that you know nothing.

Oh dear!....another one who obviously has not seen many of the quiet beaches on Samui.... 

People rarely need to get out and travel around more before making statements like this. . 

39 minutes ago, samuijimmy said:

Oh dear!....another one who obviously has not seen many of the quiet beaches on Samui.... 

People rarely need to get out and travel around more before making statements like this. . 

Visited every single beach of every single island in this country, enough for you to understand?

The day when you will have seen as many beaches as me in the world come again to talk please.

2 minutes ago, innocenthai said:

Visited every single beach of every single island in this country, enough for you to understand?

The day when you will have seen as many beaches as me in the world come again to talk please.

You've been to every beach on every island in the Kingdom and are waxing lyrical about Koh Phangan?

The rest of the 'Moonies' went home last week :)

2 hours ago, innocenthai said:

Another troll, DO NOT FEED, IGNORE.:D

2 hours ago, innocenthai said:

Very impressive if true. There are close to 1,500 islands with well over 10,000 beaches on these islands. Samui alone already has 50 to 60 beaches (depending how one counts). 

Yeah.. thought about the troll bit after the comment, I went looking for a fish net! :P

There are three Vietnamese boats off Nathon, which have been seized and abandoned... One wonders what happens to the crews in this situation of illegal fishing....?

Amazing how some topics bring out the Samui, bashers.... :coffee1:

On 8/25/2016 at 5:26 AM, innocenthai said:

I agree that when you all start a real life visit north and north east of kohphangan and you will know what is a quiet beach. samui was quiet at some places 10 years ago. If you still think that it is, sorry but it really means that you know nothing.

Sorry to interrupt the "quiet Samui beaches" discussion, but this morning – as most mornings during the year – I was enjoying "my" quiet northern Samui-beach. I say "my", because I'm so lucky to be allowed to live by the beach. The only sounds were the usual soft waves – it is normally almost totally calm seas in the morning – birds singing and in the distance a collared dove; a sound I know so well from my childhood's sommer holidays in the quiet Danish summer-land some 60 years ago. Not any other sounds, no distant motor vehicles, or boats, or planes – or jet-skies. There was nobody – nobody my eyes could see – on the several kilometer long beach.

At 10 o'clock a single bikini-lady arrived for a morning swim – my picture – and some 20 minutes later a family with children entered the beach. Oh, when up very early, for sunrise, there will often be a few Thai-ladies with straw hats and fishing sticks standing in the water, but they disappear before the sun is too sharp.

w20160827_101941_quiet-beac.jpg

Saturday 27th August 2016 about 10:00 am

During the day, there will be more activity, and in the afternoon local kids swimming, some jet-skies, and occasionally speed boats, and the catamaran-ferry – oh, yes, at 12 o'clock the old original ferry for the famous beautiful quiet Northern Koh Phangan, Thong Nai Pan-beaches, which has become more busy than here – but I think not anything like a crowded beach, which in my horizon is something as Chaweng Beach, some time Lamai Beach, parts of Bo Phut around Fisherman Village, and Lipa Noi publich beach in week-ends...

I think that those who says there are not quiet beaches at Samui, has only seen a few busy tourist spots, if you head for the smaller bays or go down south, there are still lots of possibilities...:)

And to stay on "subject", the army did clean the beach – a few restaurant signs were moved up the the buildings...:thumbsup:

32 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Sorry to interrupt the "quiet Samui beaches" discussion, but this morning – as most mornings during the year – I was enjoying "my" quiet northern Samui-beach. I say "my", because I'm so lucky to be allowed to live by the beach. The only sounds were the usual soft waves – it is normally almost totally calm seas in the morning – birds singing and in the distance a collared dove; a sound I know so well from my childhood's sommer holidays in the quiet Danish summer-land some 60 years ago. Not any other sounds, no distant motor vehicles, or boats, or planes – or jet-skies. There was nobody – nobody my eyes could see – on the several kilometer long beach.

At 10 o'clock a single bikini-lady arrived for a morning swim – my picture – and some 20 minutes later a family with children entered the beach. Oh, when up very early, for sunrise, there will often be a few Thai-ladies with straw hats and fishing sticks standing in the water, but they disappear before the sun is too sharp.

w20160827_101941_quiet-beac.jpg

Saturday 27th August 2016 about 10:00 am

During the day, there will be more activity, and in the afternoon local kids swimming, some jet-skies, and occasionally speed boats, and the catamaran-ferry – oh, yes, at 12 o'clock the old original ferry for the famous beautiful quiet Northern Koh Phangan, Thong Nai Pan-beaches, which has become more busy than here – but I think not anything like a crowded beach, which in my horizon is something as Chaweng Beach, some time Lamai Beach, parts of Bo Phut around Fisherman Village, and Lipa Noi publich beach in week-ends...

I think that those who says there are not quiet beaches at Samui, has only seen a few busy tourist spots, if you head for the smaller bays or go down south, there are still lots of possibilities...:)

And to stay on "subject", the army did clean the beach – a few restaurant signs were moved up the the buildings...:thumbsup:

Any chance you have an unoccupied guest room?

Thats a real gem of a beach.

3 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Any chance you have an unoccupied guest room?

Thats a real gem of a beach.

It's just one of many beach-gem's at Samui – here 8 am morning seen from the Lomprayah catamaran ferry leaving for Koh Phangan etc. – and between the palms, almost all the way up the bay, there are resorts with beach-front bungalows for rent in a variety of prices, from very affordable up to something for one-night that "normal folks" can stay whole year for in a modest house.

1000w_DSC04762e2.jpg

Beaches like this is one of the reasons, that some os us loves Samui and feel that we are living fairly close to what "paradise" may be like – we don't know for sure, before someone comes back and tell us what the other place is like – and yes, I do have a spare guest room for when friends from home comes by, which the often do; in fact, I see much more of them, after I moved almost 6,000 miles away...:whistling:

And to stay on subject: Not much work for army clean up at the majority of Samui beaches...;)

20 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

And here I have always wasted my time walking the beach of Chaweng picking up bags of trash and thinking that is as good as it got.

Thanks for this. 

What is the name of the beach in your last photo?

Thanks, both photos are from Maenam Beach, an about 5 kilometer long bay at Northern Samui, 15 minutes drive from Chaweng.

w500_IMG_5679c+e.jpg

Maenam face Koh Phangan, which is a nice view, instead of just water. But it's only one of many beautiful beaches, also with outstanding scenic view...

yep ... and it's nice to see the water levels up again during the day!  I went to Ban Tai Beach this afternoon... just beautiful too as is my beach at Ban Por... nice and peaceful! :thumbsup:

Most areas of all three beaches are good for kids too. 

I hear Chawang and some other beaches are a zoo of people...:w00t:

Ban Tai Beach, next one along from Maenam, best sand of the northern end beaches.!!!..

OhgDdV8HCJQ8AmT18brIfXp73z9SW5RDVZNp-_Zt

zlOG4iMbGe9zuHPzFKahuYmZNGaogsT9-NShy4cK

Part of Ban Por beach yesterday.... again far from the maddening crowds...:thumbsup: Cheaper too! 

vIFfoKm5fvg8wXcUkD7T2ZuGCPvY0DxfJqgs7VYE

39 minutes ago, frankxxxxxxxxxx said:

just like pattaya the beach was disappearing at some part of maenam, and it's not an idea, its a fact, they had to put the big cement cylinders if front of some resort to protect them from sliding in the sea.

Yes, you are right.

Some years the monsoon storm had eaten (or moved) a small part of the sand at certain points, and during the following month it disappear more-and-more from waves. 15 years back, when I can to Maenam, it was at West of the bay, just West of Santibury resort. Then it moved in front of Lolita resort, skipped the middle part in front of the original Ban Maenam "China Town" (to my joy, as that's were I live), and continued East. About 5 years ago eating in front of the so exclusive and expensive Mitsha Wan villas, so the beach stair from your 125 million baht beach-front property went straight into the water (more water-front, than beach-front). Suddenly it has changed to a lot of sand is coming in to the beach instead, the 2-3 first steps on my beach chair has disappeared under sand, and the old Koh Phangan ferry sometimes has a hard time landing on the beach.

w2010-Santibury_DSC07728.jpg

Front of Santibury Resort, where the 2010-monsoon damaged the eastern part of the beach by the small river.

w2010-Lolita_DSC07729.jpg

Lolita Bungalows on the other side of the small river. The beach damage at right is actually from previous years, but eaten slightly more by 2010-monsoon, that later added lots of sand to the beach, seen at left, so there appeared a long "valley" along the beach.

w2010_Maenam_DSC07723.jpg

East of the Maenam Village, still 2010, just before the next river. Here some beach-front houses and restaurants disappeared. On the other side of the river is Mitsha Wan, I think it was the following year the beach vanished completely in front of them, don't recall I took any photos.

Nothing has been done, but Marine Department inspect the beach every year – well, it's the owner of the beach...:thumbsup:

Earlier it has been mentioned in this forum, that it is same owner – or family that owns – Sound Club, Bar Solo, the small arena at the end of Soi Solo (the old afterparty Solo Bar), Lake View (presently unused), and Cha Cha Moon.

Yes, I believe it's the Poolsawat family. This family is the biggest "big-shots" on this island.

Archived