More Samui army clean-up and night-life changes

52 minutes ago, AsianExport said:

And sorry I do not understand well, is Maenam beach fine now, or still missing a lot of sand ? Cheers.

Maenam beach is fine.... the sand levels change with the seasons, in some areas it really comes and goes... nothing to overly worry about! 

When I was down at Ban Tai beach the other day, (next to Maenam beach) I was surprised how much sand had moved at the far end... but it will be back again! Generally speaking it still a very nice beach.

Q1uxUt5acyrtb5rgGgnxRZG_oLPg1nroQjm9oCHZ

6 hours ago, AsianExport said:

And sorry I do not understand well, is Maenam beach fine now, or still missing a lot of sand ? Cheers.

Maenam is perfect at the moment – seem like the sand moving has stopped, as lot of fresh sand coming in the past few years, making it more flat in the sea – to explain better, before you could hardly walk 10 meter or less before you had to swim, it was too deep to walk; now you can stand up when 50 meter or more out.

:)

6 hours ago, AsianExport said:

Is it one of them who has been killed ? actually it was the owner of which club ?

And now nowhere it is opened after 2am ? Do you think that this curfew will last long ?

The owner of Bar Solo (the one on the corner of Chaweng Beach Road and so-called Soi Solo) committed suicide after killing the owner of the car rental shop opposite Bandon Hospital – money business.

It has to my knowledge never been legal to be open after 2am (counting some 10+ years back, before that time things may have been different in general). Seem like "permission" was granted with tea-money. It was a military raid for drugs in after-party Sound Club at 3:30am that caused everybody shall close a 2am. It has happened before, when some big police boss from Bangkok have been down on the island, but it normally return to "Samui-normal" after a few weeks, often adding half an hour opening time a week until typically 3am, and the few after-party places and some Chaweng-bars till 5am or 6am. Might be different this time with the military – only future can tell, after the soldiers has left Samui.

4 hours ago, AsianExport said:

Good, so maenam and chaweng are or will be exactly as before ! Maybe next weeks clubs remain open all night again !  Thank you.

:( As I said: "Might be different this time with the military – only future can tell, after the soldiers has left Samui." 

Sound Club pt. closed, but rumor says that it should open again this week till 2am – was not open Monday night, when I was last in Chaweng... 

Maenam business as usual, apart from some signs are being moved at the Ring Road...;)

Latest update:

Sound Club still closed and nightlife seem to cease for more private partying – or just sleep – at 2am, that's what I noticed last night.

It's time to move sign, when soldiers ask you to do it...

20160901_143658ce_new-sign.jpg

...so Ring Road at Bo Phut and Maenam seem to have little less signs hanging out – I've heard that it's because the signs are interfering with the space dedicated for electric cable mess. :whistling:

50 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

I remember when they built sidewalks on Lakeview Road.

Soon afterwards they planted trees on same sidewalk.

Bang Rak even better – so nice when the did it, narrow but a nice sidewalk – but soon they dig it up again here-and-there for trees, and then they also put extremely beautiful street light posts between the trees in the middle of a narrow sidewalk, I think about a meter or so wide, and in addition here and then posts for signs...

The road by the sea in Nathon is another fine example of perfect usable sidewalk...:blink:

wDSC01718_Nathon-side-walk.jpg

Edit: But please note, there is a garbage bin, which is as extremely rare as some Pokémons...

8 hours ago, khunPer said:

Bang Rak even better – so nice when the did it, narrow but a nice sidewalk – but soon they dig it up again here-and-there for trees, and then they also put extremely beautiful street light posts between the trees in the middle of a narrow sidewalk, I think about a meter or so wide, and in addition here and then posts for signs...

Remember that, the former Majors most costly thing.

Too bad he forgot to include light bulbs in the budget his brother got for making this.... :rolleyes:

Well his wife promised to fix that and spent 50 Mbaht on the election....

Nobody believed the concrete queen...:P

4 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Remember that, the former Majors most costly thing.

Too bad he forgot to include light bulbs in the budget his brother got for making this.... :rolleyes:

Well his wife promised to fix that and spent 50 Mbaht on the election....

Nobody believed the concrete queen...:P

Imagine if she would have got in, oh Lord, just thinking about it makes me cringe. The pair of them her & her husband the old mayor better just keep on running their 5 star resorts.He made enough wealth from this office over the years. look at the state he left the island in.

On 25/08/2016 at 11:33 AM, innocenthai said:

Visited every single beach of every single island in this country, enough for you to understand?

The day when you will have seen as many beaches as me in the world come again to talk please.

ok lets get real...lipa noi,crystal bay,talign nam,chaweng noi, cheong mon,lamai, they are all nice beaches to visit..just a few anyway.

To stay on subject:
The soldiers were cleaning the sidewalks in Bangkok, so one could actually walk on them (at least for some short period of time) – a great job is waiting the army here at Samui, presumably at several locations from reading above posts...:rolleyes:

On 9/13/2016 at 2:36 PM, AsianExport said:

Hello, how is maenam now concerning restaurants ? not a very nice choice few years ago. thanks.

Maenam Bay is some 5 kilometers long and has – as long I've been coming here, and that's about 15 years – a variety of restaurants in all levels from plain street kitchens, and up to 5-star luxury resorts. Some more has been added over the past years – in all levels from more plain street kitchens to gourmet diners at resorts with several stars or more – and a few has gone.

I would say, that if you did not think the choice in that long bay was nice last time – it that was within the 15 years I know about – you'll probably also not think the choice is nice now...

On 09/13/2016 at 7:36 PM, AsianExport said:

Hello, how is maenam now concerning restaurants ? not a very nice choice few years ago. thanks.

I have lived in Chaweng for 11 years.

Sure there is a big choice on the beach road, but I never eat there.

They only cater 1 months tourists.

Get away from the tourist restaurants and you will find the best food and prices.

Check the pinned recommended restaurants thread.

Thank you, but no market with food at maenam ?

And i have checked what some have said here, and they are totally wrong, maenam beach east side where is maenam villa has no more sand and resorts have no beach in front, only cement. Why so many people living there are not even ab;le to say the truth ? Especially with so many mr know all on this forum... So as you can see it is not perfectly fine !!!! so obvious !!!

3 hours ago, AsianExport said:

Thank you, but no market with food at maenam ?

And i have checked what some have said here, and they are totally wrong, maenam beach east side where is maenam villa has no more sand and resorts have no beach in front, only cement. Why so many people living there are not even ab;le to say the truth ? Especially with so many mr know all on this forum... So as you can see it is not perfectly fine !!!! so obvious !!!

There are two food markets in Maenam, morning market at soi 6, and afternoon market at the entrance of the soi leading up to Santibury Country Club (cannot recall if it has a number).

I believe posters have said that »the sand levels change with the seasons, in some areas it really comes and goes...«

The bay is about 5 kilometer long, and there can be shorter parts with less sand due to waves and season – it has been moving along the beach over the years, as mentioned in earlier posts, also photos included – but the majority of beach in the long bay is fine.

wIMG_5112_East-Maenam_20160.jpg

This photo from 28th August 2016 at 11:25lt is an extract of one of my Maenam-shots, it shows the very Eastern part of the bay – for years there has in periods been narrow beach in front of some of those resorts with a high land protection wall. However, there's some sand beach, but on very high tide, there may be less or hardly any – it was not low tide, when I shot the picture, that I can see from the cut off front-part, with the Koh Phangan ferry landing on the beach. Some resorts has extended their land onto the beach, using walls – that's official complaint from Marine Department – but I cannot say which ones.

The Soi for the evening market, in Maenam, is Soi 7 (the turn to the Santi Buri golf course) ....usually gets going around 4 pm...until .... ? 

As for restaurants in Maenam, it's an almost endless choice of local and international foods! Indian, Turkish, Russian, French, Japanese, Italian...etc etc! 

Sand shift on the various beaches, especially the north end beaches,  it really can vary to time of year .... 

I see the army has been after the restaurants and bars along Ban Por beach section  to raise or turn  their signs in the last few days...:thumbsup: .... Some were potential head bashers, since the sidewalk was put in a few months ago. ;)

Archived