We are Thai people - we don't need to learn English

simon43

The title of this post are exactly the words that were uttered to me by 2 school bosses when I approached them about private English tuition for their students.

This is in Phuket, where you might think that learning English could be useful in doing business/conversing with the foreign tourists, (although maybe Chinese might be more useful LoL).

But the attitude of the school bosses shocked me, and that attitude will be inherited by the students in that school.

I am not at all happy at the path that this country is taking ==> looking in and never looking out :(

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course not English is only used worldwide for banking, medicine, aviation, science, transport and the most common language on the internet. They don't need it to watch lakorn, football or to order som tam, and that's mostly what they are interested in. :(

Never mind not learning another language, the Thais I have known and employed over the many years, didn't care much about learning a craft, sticking and being a loyal to one job, not saving or planning for the future , spending monies they don't have, living

from day to day, sometimes working sometimes not, no self discipline and pride and what they do, so you see how not learning English is not a priority for them.....

I go to the local government medical clinic here in rural Khampaeng Phet every couple of months to get my ingrowing toenail trimmed, and 2 of the nursing staff, one male and 1 female ask me to teach them more English than they already know.

The same thing happens in the bigger village health clinic where I go for a medicinal herbal massage.

I guess my experiences must be different than others.

They do have a pride in their work and they are damn good at it too.

What annoys me most about some posters is that they have a bad experience with some Thais and then class ALL Thais as the same. They are lazy, have no pride, don't care etc. To quote ezzra

"didn't care much about learning a craft, sticking and being loyal to one job, not saving or planning for the future , spending monies they don't have, living from day to day, sometimes working sometimes not, no self discipline and pride and what they do."

That can apply to a lot of people in a lot of countries in the west as well but I haven't seen many people knocking them back.

Back in the mid to late 1990s when I worked for Motorola building mobile phone sites for DTAC I used to have a driver and he would work any hours I would ask him to, book my hotels for me and look after me while we were on the road 5 days a week all over Issan.

At the weekends he would give up his own time to drive me around, take me home if I was drunk etc. In 1997 after the Tom Yam currency crisis Motorola lost the contract and as our contacts expired we moved on. When we found out I told him to find another job asap and I would get by with another driver but he refused, carried on as my driver and took me to the airport on my last day.

I have seen him around a few times since not not since I lived up here.

He was a good driver and loyal to me. He gained my trust and I repaid him with mine.

There are many Thais like him around and a lot of them can size you up and figure out if you deserve respect and loyalty. If they think you do it will be repaid by them in spades.

I think OP approached the wrong people, did you fell they didn't like you? Hence their answer, perhaps. Well Phuket huh, Southern Thais, no really my cup of tea Thais.

Two 6 year old twins in my village that are in same age as my son and attends the same school have extra tutoring twice a week in the evenings by a Phillipa teacher coming to their house, costing their parents (Thai) 500 baht per night. So the parents are clearly very keen for their kids to learn English in an early age. When the 3 of them play together they always talks English.

Not learning anything but Thai is a huge handicap for the Thai kids generally in an ever smaller world. Just look at Singapore, all kids in school learns a lot English.

Can't speaking any must be a real bitch man, today at Pattaya Immigration they had to find a translator for an Italian man, as he could not speak/understand English. Luckily another Italian "customer"  could translate, he-he.     

Interesting how geographical Location changes  attitudes. Would you as an English speaker in the uk, the States, Australia tell a Muslim, Hindu etc that you don't need to speak their language as English is the home language, as Thai is in Thailand . Of course you don't need to speak their language, and in the case of Thailand they speak Thai. What's the bitch ?

I think we need to be careful about turning this into a Thai bashing thread.   That is against forum rules.  

I have worked in 16 different countries (other than Thailand, none were directly involved in education, but several programs involved education, including building schools, staffing them, supplying them etc.) 

One generalization, and there are exceptions, is the lack of planning that many tropical and subtropical countries have.   They  move to a different beat than the rest of the world.   Planning isn't quite as essential, and they don't have a harsh winter to get ready for.   The ebb-and-flow of life is just different.  

The exception are countries that were colonized for a long time, they had super-imposed on them a different lifestyle that involves, planning, efficiency and getting things done.   Thailand has never been colonized and as such, it's cultural heritage remains roughly the way it was many years ago -- including all the problems of dealing with modern innovations.

Education is likewise affected.   The curriculum is set by politicians, who are in their position more because of status and connection than anything that has to do with education.   Their changes defy reason and are whimsical.   The country spends the largest % of it's budget on education of any country in the world, with little to show for it.  

Most of those in education want the students to learn English, but they can't be bothered to learn the language.  

In spite of this, I live in a Moo Bahn where several of the guards have a remedial ability to communicate in English.   I have a 75+ year old neighbor who is absolutely fluent (but he's never been overseas).   Mixed in are a lot of professionals who can barely give a greeting in English.

It's never a good thing when people in the field of education decide that something isn't worth learning.  

It's never a good thing when people in the field of education decide that something isn't worth learning.  

This is my gripe.

What right has the head teacher to decide that her students do not need to learn English?  (I should mention that the 2 schools that I visited were Prathom grade, where presumably the students have not yet attained an age where it is  legally-required to study English in school).

But an attitude like that? Just 2Km from the tourist beaches and many Thai-owned tourism businesses?  It maybe explains why so many Thais in Phuket who own such businesses are unable to string more than a few English words together :(

I don't understand why it's better to limit the careers and job opportunities for all Thai citizens. For educated young Thai university graduates, English unlocked past barriers that prevents Thai's from working abroad and being able to help support their parents in Thailand.

It's ignore to believe in this form of slavery. Keep the poor barefoot and ignorant, keeps the majority stuck in Thailand with low monthly salaries.

This only benefits the Thai industrial complex with a cheap local labor force.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

If you don't travel, don't have desires to improve yourself and don't work in a high level job/business, then not learning English is fine.  It's hardly needed when you are in the middle of Issan working with other locals.  Otherwise, it's invaluable, and as pointed out above, opens many doors that would otherwise be shut.

Many hi-so business Thais I've met speak great English.  Those in Government, not so good....

I suppose the refusal to learn Thai by any farang living here long term also seems to reflect an attitude that is strange.

Certainly most Thais I know personally or encounter regularly have made the practical decision to learn some English and the majority are probably better able to communicate in English than I am in Thai. Also a good friend's 9 year old child is learning to speak Chinese (as well as English) in her school, which may be even more of an advantage for her in her lifetime.

22 hours ago, ezzra said:

Never mind not learning another language, the Thais I have known and employed over the many years, didn't care much about learning a craft, sticking and being a loyal to one job, not saving or planning for the future , spending monies they don't have, living

from day to day, sometimes working sometimes not, no self discipline and pride and what they do, so you see how not learning English is not a priority for them.....

" you see how not learning English is not a priority for them... "

Quite a few people from English speaking countries seem to have survived with the same point of view ... double negatives aside.

They don't learn much English at school but how is that surprising considering they don't learn much science, history, or logic either. But I defy you to find a culture that can color, trace, and copy better than the Thais.

They go with their strengths.

23 hours ago, ezzra said:

Agree wholeheartedly. It's very different here in Cambodia. Working in TL I had to learn Thai to communicate with most. I've been here 10 years and speak very little Khmer. Even Tuk Tuk drivers have some English in PP & SR.

Going back to what the OP stated; it was one occurrence that he had experienced with one or two Thai persons.  I am sure that the majority of educated understand the advantages a Thai student has if he/she learns English.  So let's keep in mind that the opinions of just one or two people does not truly reflect the opinions of all Thais.  However, it is a shame that school administrator would not understand this important advantage for his students.  But again, this is just one administrator that may or may not have an axe to grind for personal reasons and I'm sure the vast majority of other school administrators do understand the importance of knowing English. 

Here are a couple of points for Thai school administrators know or should know. 

1. English is at least a second language to almost every nation that the majority of tourist that come to Thailand, including many Chinese. 

2. International business around the World is normally carried out using English.

3. ASEAN - Association of Southeast Asian Nations, uses English as their official language for transaction of business and cooperation. 

Because of this, any Thai who wants to succeed in almost any large business would have a much greater advantage if he/she spoke English.  

33 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

I suppose the refusal to learn Thai by any farang living here long term also seems to reflect an attitude that is strange.

Certainly most Thais I know personally or encounter regularly have made the practical decision to learn some English and the majority are probably better able to communicate in English than I am in Thai. Also a good friend's 9 year old child is learning to speak Chinese (as well as English) in her school, which may be even more of an advantage for her in her lifetime.

Thai is one of the most difficult languages to learn.  I speak a bit, but it's hard.  And even those who try, do poorly.  My wife constantly tells my friends who think they can speak Thai to just use English! :lol: She can't understand them.

Most everyday Thais I encounter, outside the tourist venues, don't speak English.

http://list25.com/25-of-the-most-difficult-languages-to-learn-in-the-world/5/

#4 on this list

10 hours ago, Scott said:

I think we need to be careful about turning this into a Thai bashing thread.   That i against forum rules.  

I have worked in 16 different countries (other than Thailand, none were directly involved in education, but several programs involved education, including building schools, staffing them, supplying them etc.) 

One generalization, and there are exceptions, is the lack of planning that many tropical and subtropical countries have.   They just move to a different beat than the rest of the world.   Planning isn't quite as essential, and they don't have a harsh winter to get ready for.   The ebb-and-flow of life is just different.  

The exception are countries that were colonized for a long time, they had super-imposed on them a different lifestyle that involves, planning, efficiency and getting things done.   Thailand has never been colonized and as such, it's cultural heritage remains roughly the way it was many years ago -- including all the problems of dealing with modern innovations.

Education is likewise affected.   The curriculum is set by politicians, who are in their position more because of status and connection than anything that has to do with education.   There changes defy reason and whimsical.   The country spends the largest % of it's budget on education of any country in the world, with little to show for it.  

Most of those in education want the students to learn English, but they can't be bothered to learn the language.  

In spite of this, I live in a Moo Bahn where several of the guards have a remedial ability to communicate in English.   I have a 75+ year old neighbor who is absolutely fluent (but he's never been overseas).   Mixed in are a lot of professionals who can barely give a greeting in English.

Average Thai person speaks 3 languages and many Thai people speak more.  Average Farang getting ready for winter speaks one language.

It is difficult for us Farang conditioned to think that tropical people are less than us when in fact Thais have quite a bit more language ability than the Average Westerner.  My wife speaks Thai, Khmer, Lao, (a local  language), Korean and English and she is not uncommon among the educated people she works with.  It's nice to mimic all the anti English sentiment and many Thais have a problem with English although all the hookers in Pattaya do OK with a number of foreign languages. 

Central Thai mbf 60 million  
Isan tts 23 million  
Northern Thai nod 6 million  
Southern Thai sou 4.5 million  
Northern Khmer kxm 1.4 million  
Yawi mfa 1 million

8 minutes ago, nongsangcity said:

We Are Thai We Dont Need To Learn English....says it all .....99% of Thais will never visit or live in an English speaking country....99% will have no Daily contact with English Native Speaker in Their Lives........

I guess they don't watch TV, use the INTERNET or go to movies in your jungle home. 

10 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

Average Thai person speaks 3 languages and many Thai people speak more.  Average Farang getting ready for winter speaks one language.

It is difficult for us Farang conditioned to think that tropical people are less than us when in fact Thais have quite a bit more language ability than the Average Westerner.  My wife speaks Thai, Khmer, Lao, (a local  language), Korean and English and she is not uncommon among the educated people she works with.  It's nice to mimic all the anti English sentiment and many Thais have a problem with English although all the hookers in Pattaya do OK with a number of foreign languages. 

Central Thai mbf 60 million  
Isan tts 23 million  
Northern Thai nod 6 million  
Southern Thai sou 4.5 million  
Northern Khmer kxm 1.4 million  
Yawi mfa 1 million

Ohh comeon!!! these are not different languages, its like saying scouse and Brummie are different languages from English.....although some may argue the point........:rolleyes:

Regrettably a frame of mind brought on by basal cell stupidity :)  I have on many occasions heard thais saying that they were smarter than farangs because they spoke better thai language, can you believe this !! and now for the show stopper...... Several years ago I went for 5 weeks with not a drop of water coming through the mains and was going near berserk. Many visits to the Water Department Office finally produced a "We,ll send out an engineer to see what is the problem". Well,this guy of about 45 turns up and has a look around, turns to me and says "I can see the problem", kicks the water pipe a couple of times and says "You need a bigger water meter, more water" !!! Now the level of base stupidity needed to make this diagnosis cannot be bought, it is inherited :) There is no hope for these people, and they are proof of that well known saying "Ignorance is bliss" :)

I teach at a large university in Korat and my students tell me they do not need English! I tell them they can earn up to 50% more salary,

if they can speak English a little. I use Seagate as an example. First year Engineer Trainee 12, 000 THB p/m but if they speak

English 15-18,000 THB p/m! I got their attention!

Being bosses of Thai schools unfortunately puts them in the "field of education" as much as the misnomer that sitting behind the steering wheel in a car means knowing how to drive it and therefore know how it works.

Meanwhile in most cases all they really know is that if they put the key in the thingy, turn clockwise and have someone add fuel as told when they see a damsel in distress at the side of the road with her car they know enough to stop and impress another half-wit with their wealth of wisdom on motorized rickshaws.

8 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

Ohh comeon!!! these are not different languages, its like saying scouse and Brummie are different languages from English.....although some may argue the point........:rolleyes:

Sure they are different languages.  Some languages Thais speak are tonal and some are not.  Simple things.  Taste good =alloy or Taste good = sep.  Pretty different eh?  sep and alloy but they mean the same thing one in Thai and one in Lao.  Then we could get into Khmer which millions of Thai speak.  Or Northern Thai Market - Gat or Delat which language is which?  Big difference eh? Get to know some Thai people and what languages they speak and then come back and comment further.

So I much in depth analysis. All I'm seeing is OP got rejected, maybe his attire was not appropriate or he has a ponytail?

Thais don't like confrontation so it's much easier to say what they did rather than offend the OP personally

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Archived