Immigration checking schools?

rkidlad

I don't mean to alarm anyone - I just heard from my Thai boss that some schools might be checked. We were told to get our paperwork in order.

Also, at my old school, they were told that there had been some kindergarten schools checked.

Just be interested to know if anyone knows anything credible. 

Just now, thai3 said:

If true a lot of 'teachers' will be messing themselves :lol:

Thing is, if they really wanted to check schools and find teachers without work permits, it wouldn't be hard.

Just walk out of your police station or immigration office and go to nearest school. Guarantee you'll find some.

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

Yes, that goes without saying.

What I mean is has anyone heard about a specific crackdown, etc. 

Haven't heard about it but I wouldn't be surprised if such were going to happen. It fits the current Immigration policy of cracking down on overstayers and 'good people in, bad people out'. I think it has been since about 2002 that schools upcountry have been hiring foreign teachers to teach English. There has NEVER been a structural crackdown on foreigners working illegally in the teaching profession.  

19 hours ago, aidenai said:

Haven't heard about it but I wouldn't be surprised if such were going to happen. It fits the current Immigration policy of cracking down on overstayers and 'good people in, bad people out'. I think it has been since about 2002 that schools upcountry have been hiring foreign teachers to teach English. There has NEVER been a structural crackdown on foreigners working illegally in the teaching profession.  

Yea, I think it's just hearsay. If the authorities wanted to crackdown, they could do so easily. They'd easily find many teachers without WP and on overstay. This would have a huge impact on the industry itself. It would scare away many 'teachers' who are already here or who are thinking of coming. There would be an even bigger shortage of teachers. Schools would cry foul because they simply don't wanna pay more (they won't be taking a pay cut that's for sure), and parents would cry foul because they want native English speakers.

But the biggest losers would be the rich and elite who own schools/shareholders and work in high level positions. And that's why it won't happen. 

Why are you teachers, so worried ? Don't you all have Work Permits ?

Note to illegal teacher from Thai School Presidents.

" Please remember to bring your sports shoes; so that you can out run the immigration officers "

" For you Fat Farangs, we will have motorcycle taxi's on standby outside your classroom"

11 minutes ago, bark said:

Why are you teachers, so worried ? Don't you all have Work Permits ?

Note to illegal teacher from Thai School Presidents.

" Please remember to bring your sports shoes; so that you can out run the immigration officers "

" For you Fat Farangs, we will have motorcycle taxi's on standby outside your classroom"

Don't give up your day job.

You don't cut it as a comedian !

Can't understand why the schools aren't able to secure a visa for their teachers like in other Asian countries. There is a lot of qualified teachers out there, have friends teaching in China, Korea and Vietnam and they have visas and ok pay.

1 minute ago, Michael8511 said:

Can't understand why the schools aren't able to secure a visa for their teachers like in other Asian countries. There is a lot of qualified teachers out there, have friends teaching in China, Korea and Vietnam and they have visas and ok pay.

many of the schools delay getting the work permits as the foreign teacher quits after a few weeks realizing it is not such a dream job. most of the children really dont care about learning english. getting no job satisfaction and a low salary means it takes a special type of person to be an english teacher. 

57 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

many of the schools delay getting the work permits as the foreign teacher quits after a few weeks realizing it is not such a dream job. most of the children really dont care about learning english. getting no job satisfaction and a low salary means it takes a special type of person to be an english teacher. 

Actually I would have nothing against a few hours teaching per week. But not English, as it isn't my native language. But 1 time per week give some computer or programing lessons, why not.

But as it is almost impossible to become a WP for only a few days per month, I let it be. I not want do this job because of the money, but because I like some small work.

On 24 August 2016 at 0:36 PM, aidenai said:

As someone who went through endless training, degrees , continuous professional developments, updates on my scientific knowledge, deathly conferences, an examiner ,  21 years of teaching 'A' levels, BTEC, GSCE, Baccalaureate .

To describe an illegal English teacher here as a member of the teaching profession is a step too far! 

26 minutes ago, HampiK said:

Actually I would have nothing against a few hours teaching per week. But not English, as it isn't my native language. But 1 time per week give some computer or programing lessons, why not.

But as it is almost impossible to become a WP for only a few days per month, I let it be. I not want do this job because of the money, but because I like some small work.

thailand is such a great country to live and i am not looking forward to the day i have to move home to put my kids in school. should not ruin your life by working here. people need to save up and move here when they can afford it.

If they go after Government schools, wouldn't it sort of be like going after yourself? Those Government schools which use agents aka "agencies" would just shuffle the blame as I mentioned elsewhere, to the agent therefore saving all the face and embarrassment. The teacher herself would just say "the agent said he'd take care of it" and be set free quick as a flash in the pants. At the end, free time for the students who would really be happy!

2 hours ago, Michael8511 said:

"Ok pay" is the point. The pay isn't okay in Thailand, you are lucky to even break even. Most teachers I know borrow like bargirls from each other just to get through the month. 

10 minutes ago, BruceMangosteen said:

"Ok pay" is the point. The pay isn't okay in Thailand, you are lucky to even break even. Most teachers I know borrow like bargirls from each other just to get through the month. 

For an expat teacher who has made all of the "big" purchases, such as house and car, the pay is fine.

With things already paid for, the monthly outgoings are next to nothing. I know of teachers here that have more monthly disposable income than people working hard for a living in the west.

On 8/24/2016 at 9:42 AM, thai3 said:

If true a lot of 'teachers' will be messing themselves :lol:

Don't know why the teachers would be concerned. They are checking the visas of the students. It seems the quality of Thai education, amplified by the superiority of the NES teachers available, has encouraged many wealthy foreign parents to send their children to Thailand for education.

8 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

They will know after reading this !!!! Why can't people keep there own council 

I feel bad for commenting on this- far better to slate the pompous old git who posted just now, but I think 'counsel' is the word you are after. :D

I wonder if this is like that story about the guy who cried wolf.

Every month or so, a rumor comes out that they'll be checking WP's at schools.  There's a collective tightening of newbie sphincters for a week or so, then they relax just like to old timers.

I can imagine the utter surprise if they actually did it.

Edit:  On the other hand, the way rumors tend to propagate, it may have started out as a rumor that they'll be checking schools, but to make sure ED visa holder actually attend class.

Best of luck to anyone that's nervous, either way.

But as it is almost impossible to become a WP for only a few days per month, I let it be

It's absolutely impossible for a human being to become a work permit. I wish nobody would ever become a Jihadist. 

Archived