The first rule of Thai "Fight Club" - it's illegal, says top cop

webfact

The first rule of Thai "Fight Club" - it's illegal, says top cop

p1.jpg

Image: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- The growing prevalence of organized street fighting has prompted Thailand's top cop to issue a crackdown to stamp out the practice.

Commissioner Sanit Mahathavorn has said that police will find and prosecute anyone organizing boxing matches that are not sanctioned by official bodies, reported Daily News.

He said Tuesday that he has ordered police in Bangkok to find where such matches are taking place in the capital and stop them.

After fights appeared online on Youtube he said that police know only that the matches are taking place in the metropolitan area under an expressway somewhere. 

He said the matches were illegal according to a law dating back to 1899 forbidding unlicensed boxing.

Organizers could face a year in prison, a fine of 20,000 baht or both.

He pointed out the dangers of injury in "Fight Club" style matches where the only protection for the fighters are thin gloves and teeth guards. He also said that police will look into the possibility that gambling was taking place at the fights.

Reporters understand that matches are taking place somewhere near the Mahanakorn intersection and claim to have seen a sign directing spectators and competitors to the "venue".

A representative of an organization called "Fight Club Thailand" was quoted as saying that fights are organized online using Facebook. He said that matches are organized according to weight divisions from Size "S" to Size "XXL" with a 5 kilogram weight band between divisions.

He said that the age range of participants has been 16 to 37 years and that many people of varying backgrounds are training for the fights all over the city. 

Fights take place every two weeks with referees and medical facilities with photographers taking still shots and others doing video to promote the matches.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-24

6 minutes ago, The stuttering parrot said:

A rare photo indeed for a Thai street fight. Normally it's 6 or more on one or is that bloke in the background about to step in and lead the charge.

and nobody on the ground having the sh1t kicked out of them by half a dozen stick, sword and club wielding hero's.

Can only assume it's a staged photo.

So if you get your head smashed in in the UFC ring is perfectly legal, while doing the same thing on the street is way way baaad! :cheesy:

It seems the Men In Brown are a bit angry for not getting any commissions from the game......and protection moneys....

Unsanctioned fights are illegal all over the world it is not just here.

It is no different that street racing.

While in UFC and official matches people get hurt it is a far more protective system.

This Thai's are crazy outlook that is prevalent here is getting a little old.

Being illegal makes it like the fight club in the movie. The police are helping promote it for free. It actually wouldn't be bad for Thai society if there was a fight club for thugs and idiots where they could go and kill off each other.

As I keep saying, the priorities are all wrong. Major crimes are gambling (where the police are not taking a cut); sex (where police are not taking a cut); street racing (where police are not taking a cut); drugs (where the police are not taking a cut)…..is there a pattern emerging?

How about investigating murders, robberies, violence and stuff like that…..or even enforcing the traffic laws (instead of taking a cut).

4 hours ago, The stuttering parrot said:

A rare photo indeed for a Thai street fight. Normally it's 6 or more on one or is that bloke in the background about to step in and lead the charge.

i agree with you mate hardly seems fare one against one this goes well beyond Thai cutler 

2 hours ago, zyphodb said:

If that is Thai "street" fighting I'm not impressed, they wouldn't last for 5 minutes in the Western equivalent....

These guys would love to meet you.  They train and will fight you one on one at the Fairtex hotel in Pattaya any day.  If  you have any balls go give it a try.:cheesy:

fairtex-sports-club-hotel.jpg

4 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

ohhh keyboard warrior ;)

At least they have the balls to do it, so what if they are not the best

I don't think he's thinking of himself tbh. I know exactly what he means. You put an average western fighter with average all round mma skills inc jujitsu or wrestling expirience or even just jujitsu or wrestling alone, I would put all my money on the Thais having there skinny asses handed to em.  That inc the fair fax hotel lot. 

4 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Unsanctioned fights are illegal all over the world it is not just here.

It is no different that street racing.

That's why there is a Rule #1 to begin with. ;-)

But to tell you the truth, I'm still waiting for them to blame these fights on Pokemon.

4 hours ago, Alive said:

Being illegal makes it like the fight club in the movie. The police are helping promote it for free. It actually wouldn't be bad for Thai society if there was a fight club for thugs and idiots where they could go and kill off each other.

Expressions of latent aggression should be channeled not oppressed. Yours is a fair example. Racing tracks and masturbation booths might be others.

Archived