Western style condominiums rentals in Chiang Rai

Motown239

Chiang Rai is looking better everyday. I consider moving from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai. During many visits to Chiang Rai, I've never seen any new condo construction, in the city proper.

Do they exist in Chiang Rai? Where are they located for monthly rental between 15,000 and 30,000฿. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

There's been a lot of building but I suspect they are designed for local Thais and the rent would be considerably lower than what you have suggested.

As in most cases like this I suggest that you come up for a few days and shop around.

Hopefully you may get something here to work off but you could also google using search terms like Chiang Rai condos, real estate etc.

There is a pretty decent condo building that was recently built opposite the Central Mall ... a short walk over the bridge and you are there. I recall also a modern development on the left side of the road on the way from central Chiang Rai to the airport. I prefer the one at the Mall ... you are next to all the amenities and you're a five minute drive from the centre of town.

My information is that they are in the lower price range, still worth checking out though.

There were some finished a couple of years back that looked ok, they were just around the corner from the shopping mall that had the old Tops supermarket.

Coming north on the Super Highway turn left at lights at the median strip old city wall and continue on.

Ironic that this topic came up, just moved back to CR 3 weeks ago after 2 years in CM.  Wife's international employer moved their regional office with very little notice so we didn't have much time to look for a house and never found one we liked at our preferred price, so moved into a condo.  

Looked at the 3 main ones that have just been built in Muang; D Condo, Like Condo and Q House.  All of D Condo's units are 29 sq M and even though they have the biggest pool & gym and you can use the overhead walkway to Central the size and layout makes the units feel even smaller than they are.  Like has larger units available and a nice salt water pool with gym - viewed a 37 sq M, but the owner wouldn't budge on her 8500 baht price. Went with a unit in the Q house which has several layouts, I believe 29 to 37sq M - salt water pool and gym. Got a great price and very happy with the staff, just the usual Thai Condo problem of not enough parking and Thais with multiple cars leaving their nicest car to occupy a premium spot permanently.

1 hour ago, pomchop said:

I'm curious if anyone knows the typical rental prices quoted for the new condo next to big C?

Asking prices are from 7,500 - 11,000 with the high end price being rental units brokered by management on behalf of the owner.  For D condo I wouldn't pay more than 8,000 baht, unless someone had 2 units renovated into one.

You moved due to your wife's job relocation. I'm moving to Chiang Rai because Chiang Mai is becoming to busy. I'm not a fan of waiting 5 + minutes a major intersections. I'm lived in Chiang Mai 4 years and the population / traffic has doubled.

Sure, Chiang Rai has traffic issues, morning and evening traffic, however, it's a nice and peaceful place.

Apparently, condo rental prices are very reasonable. The lack of adequate parking spaces is a common inconvenience. It's time for new condo projects to allocate parking space for each condo.

I'm grateful for the information. Enjoy your new surroundings. I'm looking forward moving to Chiang Rai. Hopefully the immigration office in Chiang Rai process retirement and 90 day reporting.

It's will be another adventure in Northern Thailand.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I've lived here before and while I was ok with CM I'm glad to be back.  Rarely used my mountain bike in CM and often avoided using the scooter too - dangerous traffic and black plumes of songthaew exhaust.  You would probably be surprised if I told you that many Thai restaurants that open in the evening are better here than in CM - they rely on the locals and need to offer consistent quality and value.  And If you want to go out for a drink at night, clubs stay open late and taxis use the meter too. Haven't used CR immigration in almost 2 yrs but the comparison was night and day.  Actually, a case could be made to leave CM just to get away from the nightmare that CM immigration has become.

• 5 months later...
On 26/08/2016 at 9:10 PM, kanook said:

Ironic that this topic came up, just moved back to CR 3 weeks ago after 2 years in CM.  Wife's international employer moved their regional office with very little notice so we didn't have much time to look for a house and never found one we liked at our preferred price, so moved into a condo.  

Looked at the 3 main ones that have just been built in Muang; D Condo, Like Condo and Q House.  All of D Condo's units are 29 sq M and even though they have the biggest pool & gym and you can use the overhead walkway to Central the size and layout makes the units feel even smaller than they are.  Like has larger units available and a nice salt water pool with gym - viewed a 37 sq M, but the owner wouldn't budge on her 8500 baht price. Went with a unit in the Q house which has several layouts, I believe 29 to 37sq M - salt water pool and gym. Got a great price and very happy with the staff, just the usual Thai Condo problem of not enough parking and Thais with multiple cars leaving their nicest car to occupy a premium spot permanently.

Hi, just checking how you are finding living longer term in the QCondo complex. Have seen it being built on my travels thru CRai. I'm looking to try living again in CRai again simply because the area offers a better  quality of life.

I dislike all those tiny 30sqmetre apartments and willing to pay more for a larger sized apartment.

Cheers,

Michael

1 hour ago, OneZero said:

Perhaps I scanned this thread too quickly, but I'm wondering why Chiang Rai Condotel on Uttaradit road only a couple meters down from the old main market (the mkt with the small clock tower) hasn't gotten more mention here.

...a couple hundred meters down...

Didn't see an "edit" link.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2017 at 0:55 PM, lychee said:

Hi, just checking how you are finding living longer term in the QCondo complex. Have seen it being built on my travels thru CRai. I'm looking to try living again in CRai again simply because the area offers a better  quality of life.

I dislike all those tiny 30sqmetre apartments and willing to pay more for a larger sized apartment.

Cheers,

Michael

Have no major issues so far, in fact like it more than I thought I would.  The complex is well run and other than the problem of not enough parking space for vehicles, no issues.  Did meet a Thai owner who had a 50+ sq m condo for rent several months ago so if you want a larger unit they do exist.

Without starting a new thread, this one is almost on point.

How does it work if you rent long term a condo in a block like the Q Condo or Condotel and the owner is a Thai or foreigner who lives abroad or elsewhere in the country. How do you sort out with immigration the paperwork when they is acting through an agent or does the agent have the authority to go to immigration with you to prove residency?

I am not sure if a representative or agent has authority but the girls in the office,, who speak English, told me to leave a copy of my passport page with them and they coordinated with the owner who lives in BK.  I suspect most Thai condo owners and certainly an agent will know they need to report the foreign tenant to immigration.

1 hour ago, kanook said:

I am not sure if a representative or agent has authority but the girls in the office,, who speak English, told me to leave a copy of my passport page with them and they coordinated with the owner who lives in BK.  I suspect most Thai condo owners and certainly an agent will know they need to report the foreign tenant to immigration.

Sounds very civilised compared to the hoo hah in other cities.

• 2 months later...
On 26/08/2016 at 9:10 PM, kanook said:

Thanks for the info. A local friend told me about the DCondo. Have to check the two other too.

And according to another poster, Absolute Condo north the river.

And Condotel : will check too, the website says :

1st Month 28,000 THB
2nd Month 18,000 THB
3rd Month 10,000 THB

Chiang Rai look pretty nice and relax. I was for years in Chiang Mai too, and it's quite different here, more friendly/less tourist oriented, and less pollution !!! It's smaller, less traffic and diesel, and not in a small valley with no wind. Have very positive experience here... well, since two days only :)

4 hours ago, Sambotte said:

Thanks for the info. A local friend told me about the DCondo. Have to check the two other too.

1st Month 28,000 THB
2nd Month 18,000 THB
3rd Month 10,000 THB

Chiang Rai look pretty nice and relax. I was for years in Chiang Mai too, and it's quite different here, more friendly/less tourist oriented, and less pollution !!! It's smaller, less traffic and diesel, and not in a small valley with no wind. Have very positive experience here... well, since two days only :)

Less tourist, wait until high season heheheheeh

Less than CM anyway i could bet on that :)

For info i've seen the condos :

- DCondo is well located indeed, BigC just 50m, and most of the studios are not direct on the main road, quiet i think ; 8 to 12 K bahts depending on the owner.

- QHouse is not that well located but ok, except more studios and appts will have the main road noise. 7 to 12 K bahts and even a few 50sqm appt i think.

- Like Condo i didn't see, but talked to a cool American living here. Half appts are on the back, not sure about the noise. Prices around 10K or more if biger.

- Condotel not seen yet, looks crazy expensive first month.

- Absolute condo i saw construction far away after the airport. On construction so...

Will sign in DCondo probably tomorow, 2 months minimum, deposit 10K, internet will be installed in one day.

Easy Thailand :)

17 hours ago, Sambotte said:

1st Month 28,000 THB
2nd Month 18,000 THB
3rd Month 10,000 THB

Those condotel internet prices are insanely rediculous.  Whoever is asking that is dreaming and there is much for far less.  Why don't you send an email to John Ellis that has many very nice rooms to rent on a monthly basis.  [email protected]

When you look at what is available in Chiang Mai for the same money, there is no comparison except I could never live in Chiang Mai.

We have found that by talking to the local people in these condo's, you get a much better view on reality than the internet.

The other internet sensation that will ruin the housing market is Airbnb. You have no idea of whether you are dealing with the actual owner, pay inflated prices and God help you with the registration at the immigration dept.

Thank you America and the internet.

Thanks John.

I agree with you Flustered, more choice in CM, but yes too you still can find enough offer in CR when you meet people, very easy and cool here. I've seen some kind of condo/room for cheap, like 3.5K bhts, not amazingly good though...

Joking mode on :

Am i dreaming or your avatar is a FROG ? I'm the Frenchman :ph34r: How dare you Brit Brother ? :smile:

Or the Farang-set, name that came from Fran-çais with Thai prononciation ! Yes, yes, yes :)

But i like the American and Internet though hé hé... Well except for the DAMN Brit-American non-metric non-scientific system of mesure ! Guys when will you evolve upper than inches and feet seriously ? That's a shame :sorry::partytime2:

Archived