DNA / genetic examination for weightloss and sports

robblok

I have been reading about DNA examinations that genotype the body and then give you a personalized review of how good you handle carbs and other stuff.  Waht vitamins are good for you 

It will tell you what sports your body is good at and how fast you recover and what your VOMAX would be stuff like that. I am leaning to try it. I can afford it (though I find the price a bit high). But for someone who is always busy with exercise and diet it might be interesting to see what is good for me.

I read at some independent websites like livestrong that people who do this test lose 30% more weight then those who dont.

It sounds quite interesting its a test you do once and know for life. Still undecided but gravitating to doing it. There are quite a few companies offering this so I might shop around a bit. 

https://www.dnafit.com/diet/?currency=EUR

I found this article on someone that actually did the test and was starting to use it.  If you haven't read it already.  Let us know what you decide.

http://www.mensfitness.com/weight-loss/burn-fat-fast/what-dna-test-taught-me-about-diet-and-exercise

In the article the author is told that he has a high predisposition to soft tissue damage but he likes boxing as an exercise.  He doesn't say if he acts on the knowledge to give up boxing.

http://www.self.com/wellness/2016/05/i-tried-dna-testing-for-fitness-and-weight-management/

In this article the author does take the advice and gets results!  However, her experts give her the hard numbers that DNA prediction has a long way to go.  I think the quote is that all the DNA markers discovered so far for obesity only explain about 3-4% of obesity.  Not a very high prediction level.

Anyway, sounds exciting and I if you do it I hope you will share with us.

And the July 4, 2016 Time magazine article: Life the remix, by Alice Park states on p. 35 "In China, researchers report that they accomplished in dogs, rabbits, goats and monkeys what human body builders yearn for: a way to quickly build muscles to hulk life proportions."  

No comment on whether or not this is true.  I guess we will see at the next Olympics. EH?

I have decided to go ahead with it. I know the science is just in its infancy but stanford university did test it and said that people who test and follow the advice (diet wise) lose 40% more weight. So i do believe there are points to learn from this. I went for a sports and weight test. I will see what it brings me and if I learn anything new.

But the point of maybe not following the advice because I like what I am doing. I am curious though to see if I am right about my basal metabolic rate and if i lose weight better by cardio or caloric restrictions. The soft tissue thing is also interesting to know about.  It might be money lost or not. I have spend a lot of money on fitness in the past and on supplements. If nothing else this might motivate me.

I have always been curious about science and stuff. But I do realize they don't map all the things needed yet and it is not complete.. but its interesting. 

Robblock,

My concern with DNA profiles is the unknown on how that personal information might be used against people one day. 

Do you know if the testing center destroys all records once the tests are deciphered and handed to the client? Chances are the labs will be hacked and lose all that private data at some point in your life.

As an example, in the US an insurance company might data mine for DNA profiles and one day use that information to determine why you are a candidate for a debilitating disease and charge you more for coverage. 

It does sound interesting snd thanks for posting.

11 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Robblock,

My concern with DNA profiles is the unknown on how that personal information might be used against people one day. 

Do you know if the testing center destroys all records once the tests are deciphered and handed to the client? Chances are the labs will be hacked and lose all that private data at some point in your life.

As an example, in the US an insurance company might data mine for DNA profiles and one day use that information to determine why you are a candidate for a debilitating disease and charge you more for coverage. 

It does sound interesting snd thanks for posting.

Hi, that is not really a concern of mine as of yet, given what they test. It is interesting but I fully realize that the science is still not complete so I am more worried about them not checking it all. As for your worries, they are only testing / mapping the genes that have to do with sports and weight-loss. 

Its just an experiment for me I always liked science and just want to see if they can tell me something new.  But this topic will stay dead for a while, they first have to send me a DNA collection kit and then I have to send it back and they will take their time processing it too. 

So it will take some time but I am definitely curious, some people have benefited from it. There was some discussion  about it on a fitness site i visit. It would have been better if i had done it 25 years ago (when i started working out as a kid). But i neither had the money for it nor was it available. Back then the internet was just coming up and not as much info available about working out as now. It would have helped me a lot to know back then what i know now :cheesy:

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, wtaumme said:

Thanks for letting me know all these things as I don't have much information regarding DNA and its effect on our weight.

It has influence.. but by knowing for instance if your sensitive to carbs you can change your diet. It will also tell you what kind of sport is better for you and if your prone to injury or not. For me its one big experiment and I hope to learn something from it. I have always been a science and technology guy so it peeked my interests.

Archived