Dog attack on three year old - who should be responsible for dogs outside shops?

webfact

5 hours ago, The stuttering parrot said:

Why should there be a debate?

Its the local authorities job to get the dog catchers off their asses  and have the dogs rounded up.

I love dogs but there are stray mongrels all over Thailand that need to be removed.

Hope the girl gets over it as it could have been much worse.

Key word is "get off of their ass and do something" Reminds of the little figurines in Mexico of a Mexican with a big sombero on sleeping under a palm tree. Must be something in the air in these tropical countries. 

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Jimdbim said:

Really ? In my 20 years of riding I do not seem to have a problem avoiding dogs or trees or other moving vehicles.

might be a problem for you, but for most seems to be ok

Well as someone who joined TV yesterday,I think you are either  very lucky or a troll.

I go out cycling 3times a week, each time 15k. I have to be very carefull where I go because of these uncared for animals,even then on numerous occasions I have to dismount and defend myself with sticks or stones. My own son was bitten when he was 3yrs old,he then had to suffer the treatment and to this day he is wary of any dogs.

Unfortunately nothing  will happen regarding this problem as the authorities are simply not interested. "Why " well if You take a ride through any of the upmarket housing estates you will notice few, if any stray dogs, the owners of these high end houses are not effected by this problem and Proberbly think its not important. 

It would seem the only solution,and as I've already pointed out, it will not happen,would be for these animals to be removed from the streets and anyone feeding them to be prosecuted. Finally "jimdin" in case you think I am anti dog, I will tell you that when I lived in my own country I had 16 dogs, who were all well fed and correctly housed, they never strayed, each day they were walked and taken over the fields and through the woods, it's called being a responsible dog owner, but as we all know many Thais do not know that word,even in their own language.

It's simple: the government needs to have a birth control program~free!  I worked in a dog shelter here for 1 year.  It was very sad.  Most dogs here are sick and in constant pain.  Many won't even pay for their pet's illnesses.  Someone told me that they used to have a program here.  Why they stopped it, I don't know?

Humans are the superior race and have the capability to solve the problem in a compassionate way.  That does not mean dogs have the right to endanger the streets fighting and copulating with abandon.  A few weeks ago a mass of dog came rolling out into the street with no warning causing my girlfriend to wreck her motorcycle.  She now has permanent scars and has suffered greatly for the supposed rights of out of control animals.  And in your argument, you propose that a child must be on a leash rather than making a safe environment for all.  Rubbish....

The 3 year old kid should never been left unattended by the mother. She probably did something to irritate the dog, maybe step on it's tail or something. So I blame the parents also.

But of course there's no excuse , any dog that attack humans should be be set to sleep .  I have only seen friendly "7 eleven dogs" here, most of them are just waiting for food. 

5 minutes ago, balo said:

The 3 year old kid should never been left unattended by the mother. She probably did something to irritate the dog, maybe step on it's tail or something. So I blame the parents also.

But of course there's no excuse , any dog that attack humans should be be set to sleep .  I have only seen friendly "7 eleven dogs" here, most of them are just waiting for food. 

So the blame therefore lies with the idiots that feed them.

A few years back a pick-up regularly drove around our village much like those buying recyclable rubbish and they offered a black plastic  washing container for every mut donated to them. Kept the population down, until somebody got greedy and knocked off pets (including my pregnant bitch) so they were banned.

If the government has active animal control programs finding homes for the dogs and euthanizing the unwanted ones there would be less killing of dogs over time. There is more dog abuse and killing in Thailand than countries that have programs.  You can't let these animals run wild because they become wild and uncontrollable. Killing dogs humanely is the solution.

6 minutes ago, cockatoowho said:

A few years back a pick-up regularly drove around our village much like those buying recyclable rubbish and they offered a black plastic  washing container for every mut donated to them. Kept the population down, until somebody got greedy and knocked off pets (including my pregnant bitch) so they were banned.

I saw that too in my area but I don't agree with dogs for meat. The answer has already been found and proven effective and it amazes me that so many people are unwilling to accept it. The developed world doesn't have the problems you see in Thailand. They have the solution and the cruelty and suffering of street dogs is gone. Animal control by local governments is the answer. And educating society about the issues rather than wasting media time for other unnecessary promotions. Thai media needs to stop the bs and cover the issues that really affect this nation and its people. The dog issue is important and could be ended in short time with some wise, rational leadership.

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Feeding Soi/stray dogs in Thailand considered to be a merit making and some kind

of atonements for your sins of which Thai people not short of, never thinking that

by doing that they only create a menace and health problems to the neighborhood

and the city as a whole, but go and tell it to those people who still believes in ghosts

and apparitions of supernatural beings in their daily lives......

Always ready for some Thai bashing aren't you. There is nothing wrong with having compassion towards animals,.

What is needed and is starting to happen thanks to Soi Dog is the sterilization of the stray dog population - this will start bringing the numbers down. Rounding up and culling is a waste of time, asinine and doesn't work - sterilization does.

So, do some productive and support Soi Dog Foundation, or you can carry on spouting about how all Thais are this and that - frankly it gets dull on these pages. 

9 minutes ago, cockatoowho said:

I chased these bastards out of my village and they haven't been back.

4 hours ago, Jimdbim said:

those are called people with compassion and a heart. Dogs do have the right to be there no more or no less than you..

It is humans who supposedly are the superior race and yet incapable of looking after the child.

Main road, cars, bikes, and millions of other dangers  and yet 2 grown ups struggle to take responsibility for 1 kid.

The parents were momentarily distracted...  this has happened to every parent. It is impossible to watch your child 100% of the time....  

Dog apologists get up my nose - there is no excuse for a Dog biting a child and the Dog may do so again. Who to blame? Ultimately the Dog as its in the Dogs nature to bite... also the owners, but in this case there are no owners.

....  A few good friends in the UK have Dogs. Just 2 of them in the UK have warned me that while their pet dog is perfectly behaved, its still and dog and could still bite if provoked. These are the friendliest and softest dogs I know - but a Dog is an animal and not 100% predicable. 

Soi Dogs in Thailand are not trained, not disciplined by an owner. I keep clear of them but have been barked and growled at aggressively before, especially when they are in a pack on a quiet Soi. 

Just like stray electrical cables and collapsed drains - the government are responsible for vermin... make no mistake, Soi Dogs are vermin, they carry disease and harmful bacteria and are a blight. 

Like many issues the excesses of Soi Dogs in Thailand's streets 'should be' dealt with by those in positions of such responsibility. The issue really is that those in Positions of Decision Making Power and responsibility are not held accountable and don't care. 

So, who is responsible...  IMO: The local Government. 

Solutions: Many won't like this - But 'Cruel to be Kind'... many Soi dogs end up diseased and live a poor and painful life... IMO allowing many to live and bread in such conditions is cruel. 

Thus as harsh and awful as it sounds a Culling is the only reasonable way to protect from such issues - perhaps at night to protect the bleeding hearts who fail to recognise reality. 

Alternatively, spaying the dogs could work, but this is costly, especially so in a developing nation. 

This is an issue that can be fixed firmly once (without half measures) - it will then be much easier to control in the future. 

9 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

I chased these bastards out of my village and they haven't been back.

I'm confused, how is it possible to chase people out of your village while sitting behind the blanket of security provided for you by your keyboard?

If you had even tried to chase Thais out of your village and deny them their coin, you wouldn't be here to tell the tail.

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The parents were momentarily distracted...  this has happened to every parent. It is impossible to watch your child 100% of the time....  

Dog apologists get up my nose - there is no excuse for a Dog biting a child and the Dog may do so again. Who to blame? Ultimately the Dog as its in the Dogs nature to bite... also the owners, but in this case there are no owners.

....  A few good friends in the UK have Dogs. Just 2 of them in the UK have warned me that while their pet dog is perfectly behaved, its still and dog and could still bite if provoked. These are the friendliest and softest dogs I know - but a Dog is an animal and not 100% predicable. 

Soi Dogs in Thailand are not trained, not disciplined by an owner. I keep clear of them but have been barked and growled at aggressively before, especially when they are in a pack on a quiet Soi. 

Just like stray electrical cables and collapsed drains - the government are responsible for vermin... make no mistake, Soi Dogs are vermin, they carry disease and harmful bacteria and are a blight. 

Like many issues the excesses of Soi Dogs in Thailand's streets 'should be' dealt with by those in positions of such responsibility. The issue really is that those in Positions of Decision Making Power and responsibility are not held accountable and don't care. 

So, who is responsible...  IMO: The local Government. 

Solutions: Many won't like this - But 'Cruel to be Kind'... many Soi dogs end up diseased and live a poor and painful life... IMO allowing many to live and bread in such conditions is cruel. 

Thus as harsh and awful as it sounds a Culling is the only reasonable way to protect from such issues - perhaps at night to protect the bleeding hearts who fail to recognise reality. 

Alternatively, spaying the dogs could work, but this is costly, especially so in a developing nation. 

This is an issue that can be fixed firmly once (without half measures) - it will then be much easier to control in the future. 

Well said Richard, this is the post of the thread. :thumbsup:

51 minutes ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

The mom and dad are to blame to leave their child unattended.

Who knows what the child did to the dog ?

I have seen many children doing nasty things to animals here in Thailand.

A dog in front of a shop is usually friendly and will not attack anyone without a reason.

Yes, while there are dangerous animals roaming the streets it is the parents fault for not protecting their child from them, but we as a society can do something about the dangerous animals and take one danger away from the parents responsibilities.  Your argument would work equally well against the need for pavements, for it is not the danger of the road that needs to be addressed but the parents ability to shield their child from cars, right?  No, actually you are plain wrong, we can make things in our world better and less stray dogs would clearly be better.

1 hour ago, hawker9000 said:

Awhile ago there was another thread in which the OP had asked, as a bicycler I believe, how best to deal with soi dogs.  Most commenters had some common-sense advice.  Sticks, stones, defensive batons, pepper spray, etc., etc.   But there were a few nutjobs who staunchly opposed any harm to these dangerous, potentially rabid, pests.  Anyone who didn't agree with them was a "hater". 

I missed that thread - or possibly the comments on the thread that you describe.

Would you post a link please?

57 minutes ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

The mom and dad are to blame to leave their child unattended.

Who knows what the child did to the dog ?

I have seen many children doing nasty things to animals here in Thailand.

A dog in front of a shop is usually friendly and will not attack anyone without a reason.

Re. the emboldened part - I agree, as I've never had any problems with stray dogs.

But I doubt the child did anything 'nasty' to the dog.  The child was probably running, and ran on top of the dog's tail.

4 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Nobody has mentioned that CP themselves encourage their 7/11's to have dogs outside.  They boast that they look after the dogs welfare by regular injections etc.  So if anyone is to be responsible it is the CP company.

http://www.chiangraitimes.com/7-11-stores-in-thailand-care-for-stray-dogs.html

I'll have to take some pics of the ones outside my 7/11 one is in agony with what looks like anal cancer, probably 'karma', which of course is utter nonsense.

4 hours ago, Keesters said:

At Ban Amphur beach there has for many years been dogs at the far end away from the beach chairs. Those dogs have now been enticed up to the car park area where a Farang feeds them. Being in that car park at feeding time is very dangerous as the dogs will attack any person who gets too close. After the dogs are full they all trot over to the populated beach and take a ****

Sometimes that pack is 20 strong and very aggressive.

IMG_20150508_104257 (Small).jpg

My personal experience is that stray dogs are VERY rarely aggressive as they rely on kind people to feed them.

Those that kill chickens etc. don't last long as those who own the chickens won't tolerate that behaviour - which is why we so often see stray dogs and chickens living in the same small area.

Yes, I too have been chased whilst out on my scooter - but I immediately stop (assuming I'm not on a main road!), and the dogs slink off.  They enjoy chasing and once the chase stops, they lose interest.

There will always be differing opinions on this subject as most people think humans own the earth and can see no reason to allow other species to intrude where they live.  God help the animal that hurts a human!  Obviously the animal is so inferior that they (and their kind) need to be immediately culled....

1 minute ago, johng said:

Sometimes that pack is 20 strong and very aggressive.

IMG_20150508_104257 (Small).jpg

These stray dogs also make it very difficult for the responsible dog owners who use the beach to exercise their dogs. Dog fights are commonplace. The farang who feeds the strays is as much a menace as the strays. He is the sole cause of kilos of dog poop all over a popular beach, yet I've never seen him clean up once. Idiot.

Blah blah blah - any excuse it seems to slag off about Thais and Thailand. 

No doubt the dog should be destroyed. BUT the real problem is the parents - and they know it.  What do you think a 3 year old did that provoked the dog? Do you really think the dog thought "ah ha, that girl is alone so now I will attack her."   Parents should know to never leave small children alone near dogs and that means in Sois and outside shops.  And just how did the 3 year old open the door?    

Looks like the dog has been put down, and the public shaming of the parents will do that job.  I hope other parents see and learn.

Note:  Bob, stay away from news items discussions on TV.

4 hours ago, Jimdbim said:

absolutely spot on. whose fault would it be if little girl was hit by a car? what if she fell into a drain? pot hole?

It is parents sole responsibility to ensure child's safety. 

Dude... Very very tight restrictions there... You need to open the blinders just a little.

this is a societal issue as well, which also involves odd laws, lack of repercussions, lack of money, lack of accountability, lack of "give a <deleted>€ k" etc.

local governments... National government... Police etc have a duty to protect the public... This duty covers providing a safe environment for the citizens of the country... Eg... Eff of big holes in a footpath, should be fixed, before someone... Anyone... Not just three year olds... Fall into the damn things.

if adults, as some posters above mention as personal experiences, have been mauled (which we all know happens).... Who should have been protecting (supervising, watching over, etc) them?

their octogenarian parents, perhaps?

Whilst not actually pointing the finger of blame... I will say that the HAZARD needs to be removed. (Mmm... Maybe that statement does actually implicate whoever is supposedly responsible for managing the hazard... Oh well)

4 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

My personal experience is that stray dogs are VERY rarely aggressive as they rely on kind people to feed them.

Those that kill chickens etc. don't last long as those who own the chickens won't tolerate that behaviour - which is why we so often see stray dogs and chickens living in the same small area.

Yes, I too have been chased whilst out on my scooter - but I immediately stop (assuming I'm not on a main road!), and the dogs slink off.  They enjoy chasing and once the chase stops, they lose interest.

There will always be differing opinions on this subject as most people think humans own the earth and can see no reason to allow other species to intrude where they live.  God help the animal that hurts a human!  Obviously the animal is so inferior that they (and their kind) need to be immediately culled....

A trait which has, by and large, put humans at the top of natures food chain.

personally, I like being at the top of the food chain :whistling:

Archived