Walking Street Super Heroes to the Rescue - but it's Hua Hin not Pattaya

rooster59

Walking Street Super Heroes to the Rescue - but it's Hua Hin not Pattaya

super.PNG

Image: Daily News

HUA HIN:-- It was all smiles last night as the Super Heroes came to the rescue in Hua Hin.

Following incidents in a year the resort might like to forget there was a big party to rebrand Soi Bintabaht as "Walking Street Hua Hin".

And helping everyone forget the trouble that the soi has seen in 2016 were characters such as Batman and Captain America - provincial governor Thawee Naritsirikun almost had to play second fiddle.

The soi that hit the news for all the wrong reasons with the thug attack on the Owen family at Songkran and the bombing outrage earlier this month when a Thai woman died was trying to put all that behind to show the tourists that all is well.

Apart from the superheroes there were fighters of a more acceptable sort - Thai boxers - as well as beautiful Thai dancers and a cabaret of a different kind of Thai beauty and lots of Thai food to make it all go with a swing.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-27

2 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

But But the super heroes depicted are all foreigners   !

Shouldn't they be dressed up like the PM to be authentically Thai   ?

It has just occurred to me that the superhero really only originates in America. That seems to be the only country (in the past) that has produced this unusual and bizarre phenomenon. It's probably only now been last in line to be copied in this fashion in Asia. :coffee1:

Just now, ScotBkk said:

It has just occurred to me that the superhero really only originates in America. That seems to be the only country that has produced this unusual and bizarre phenomenon. It's probably been last in line to be copied in this fashion in Asia. :coffee1:

What about all these kids at Siam Paragon dressed up as Japanese cartoon heroes?

2 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Great fun but isn't the alien that Arnold killed a bad guy?

Or did they become a super hero in a sequel?

I bet the kid had fun and its no less strange than seeing pro-athlete size lb's running around in high heels.

yes, perhaps we bad foreigners (or at least thought to be bad foreigners) can turn it around to be thailands super heroes in the future like the predator.

3 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Great fun but isn't the alien that Arnold killed a bad guy?

Or did they become a super hero in a sequel?

I bet the kid had fun and its no less strange than seeing pro-athlete size lb's running around in high heels.

I seem to recall that in the final movie predator became a good guy saving earth from "alien", like all things in life bad is relative

It was a great night at the opening. The entertainment, especially the little Thai rappers was very good. The locals put in a lot of effort to make all visitors welcome and happy, even the police were all enjoying the night.

2 hours ago, sahibji said:

it is a global world and these are global heroes.

I beg to differ. It is not a global world, these superheroes are not global and they have nothing to do with actual culture. What they are is a purely American commercial product which has been repeatedly and very cunningly forced down the throats of other countries by American mega-corporations, for several decades, with the sole purpose of amassing billions of dollars and with no consideration whatsoever over the consequences on the neurones of 'consumers' (known as 'the target' by marketing wizards - what a highly appropriate word).

There is no such thing as 'globalization', as it would imply that all cultures from all around the world slowly merge into one global culture. This is not what we are witnessing. What we do see is the global, massive and intrusive spreading of American subculture. I use the word subculture out of respect for real American culture (books, films, songs, paintings etc), which does exists, has a life of its own, is highly respectable, and is not massively marketed like mere washing powder around the world.

Amazing. NOT. I live in Hua Hin.

The Thai government thinking people are children again.

Just put some cops on a few corners and walk a simple two man patrol looking for problems.

But we get Batman. OK. :)

At least the female characters are hot.

3 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

here is the photo of the Thai woman who was killed in Hua Hin.

She was a mother.

Maybe the superheros can visit her kids and tell them everything is ok.

Hua-Hin-Dead-mugshot.jpg

I don't get this.

Are you being cynical?

If so its in very poor taste.

1 hour ago, Yann55 said:

I beg to differ. It is not a global world, these superheroes are not global and they have nothing to do with actual culture. What they are is a purely American commercial product which has been repeatedly and very cunningly forced down the throats of other countries by American mega-corporations, for several decades, with the sole purpose of amassing billions of dollars and with no consideration whatsoever over the consequences on the neurones of 'consumers' (known as 'the target' by marketing wizards - what a highly appropriate word).

There is no such thing as 'globalization', as it would imply that all cultures from all around the world slowly merge into one global culture. This is not what we are witnessing. What we do see is the global, massive and intrusive spreading of American subculture. I use the word subculture out of respect for real American culture (books, films, songs, paintings etc), which does exists, has a life of its own, is highly respectable, and is not massively marketed like mere washing powder around the world.

Very good Post !

1 hour ago, Yann55 said:

Is there any chance you are over-thinking this one?

And to correct you...these "products" have bben equally "forced down the throats" of Americans. In fact, we are the original guineau pigs.

But these folks in their costumes are just trying to have so fun and there is no harm in it. In fact, it does not involve exploitation of animals or humans and in that respect is quite unique for that Soi, right? 

BTW, Siam Paragon is full of people dressed up as Japanese cartoon superheroes...not a thing American about them. How does that fit into your ethnocentric view?

30 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

I don't get this.

Are you being cynical?

If so its in very poor taste.

I'm sorry CC but I think you're wrong.

I believe that NCC was simply trying to remind people that, in the mad rush to try to paint everything white and show that Thailand's sacred cow - tourism - is alive and well and all is good, it's too easy to gloss over the fact that one of their own innocents lost her life and now seems doomed to be forgotten in the disgusting whitewash to protect the tourism dollar.

All in all, I thought it was a timely post and pretty tasteful.

Archived