SURVEY: Should Marijuana be legalized?

Scott

SURVEY: Do you believe that Marijuana should be legalized in Thailand?  

413 members have voted

1. 1. SURVEY: Do you believe that Marijuana should be legalized in Thailand:

• Yes, but only for those with medical conditions for which it is suspected or known for being effective.
    • Yes, I believe it should be legalized for both medical and recreational use.
    • No, I do not believe that legalizing Marijuana is a good idea.

This poll is closed to new votes

Should Marijuana be legalized in Thailand?

Not long ago, a police officer from the drug suppression unit indicate his disapproval of arresting people for marijuana use that could be considered as medically useful.   Later the Justice Ministry, in remarks to ASEAN, stated that Thailand would not be legalizing drugs.   In your opinion, do you believe Marijuana should be legalized for medical use and/or for recreational use?

Please feel free to leave a comment.   

Recent links to some stories on the issue:

Arresting people for medicinal ganja use is like arresting a mother for stealing baby milk for a hungry child police say.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/939233-arresting-people-for-medicinal-ganja-use-like-arresting-a-mother-for-stealing-baby-milk-for-a-hungry-child-police-say/

Justice Minister affirms to ASEAN Thailand will not legalize drugs

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/939473-minister-of-justice-affirms-to-asean-thailand-will-not-legalize-drugs/

Marijuana dealer apprehended

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/939563-wichit-marijuana-dealer-apprehended-bought-stash-through-facebook/

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have always had mixed emotions about marijuana, as well as a lot of other types of drugs.   I have enjoyed it's properties, and not for medical purposes, but what affect it has on a society is open to speculation.

Thailand is, by nature, a rather conservative society, so I don't know if they are ready for the loosening of restrictions.   They might want to wait for some of the other places in the world to see how legalization is going, what problems it is causing and how serious they are.   

I will, unequivocally, say that between spending a huge amount of money to enforce current laws on keeping it illegal are probably a gigantic waste of money and resources.  

Keep all drugs illegal,     for some there's more money to be made that way and the further up the tree you are the bigger the profits.

This is not my personal view and I'm just trying to think how some who might be in or get into a decision making position might see things for reasons that are only too clear.

No country is winning the war against drugs,marijuana is not a drug that tends to get people in trouble.You do not get violent,only hungry and mellow.

Imo marijuana is a lot safer than alcohol,the problem is there is no tax for the government.Marijuana is also a strong painkiller and

has the potential to help victims of different diseases.

Yes make it legal but only if sold buy the government.

Legalize it in Thailand...falangs pay 12% sales tax and kon Tai pay 5%.

The medical marijuana stores in New Mexico and Colorado are doing BRISK business.

Add in Oregon. The tax base is happy.

Great stuff for neuropathy, chemotherapy, depression, end-of-life issues. GREAT for sleeping! Like a nugget of edible.

View the Granddaddy of the medical mj movement, Candian Rick Simpson

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hmYNLF7NBw

it is a regressive law and as the authorities around the world realize how much money they make through taxing gunga and by eliminating costs enforcing the law we see legislation changing everywhere. It will also be a boost for tourism

I lived in the Netherlands for two years, departing early this summer, but also lived and worked in the Netherlands for over a year almost 30 years ago.

When I first went to the Netherlands in the late 80s Marijuana was, as it is now, on sale. 

Dutch society has not collapsed since. 

Meanwhile in the intervening years Blair deregulated alcohol in his effort to introduce 'European Cafe Culture' with the predicted result of condemning British town centres Friday and Saturday night alcohol fuelled violence that is only overshadowed by the alcohol fuelled violence that goes on in homes up and down the country.

'European Cafe Culture' was perhaps a good idea, but Blair was in hoc to the booze industry and introduced the wrong 'European Cafe Culture'. 

In a word, no. I think some degree of decriminalization is needed though. However there needs to be some control applied to its usage and availability. Weed definitely does affect people differently, and when you have people driving and working under the influence I feel that isn't right.

It is a difficult one really. I see the merits in legalization, but also see the massive potential for some people to completely destroy themselves on it if such a move was made.

For medicinal purposes it is a no brainer that it should be allowed if doctors recommend it for use

Britain as well as other countries has seen it's standards drop and its society has been on a downward spiral ever since marijuana was introduced and has been more or less accepted. All drugs should be outlawed like they used to be when we lived in a world based on morals, decency and the possession of a work ethic. Much more severe sentencing should be introduced to discourage the use of any drugs.

We've always had drunken violence but not the lazy, shiftless behaviour exhibited by those that inhabit the dream world associated with marijuana. And it DOES often lead the user on to harder drugs which often prove to be impossible to get off of and leads those who partake into a life of crime that inflicts misery upon the victims and themselves.

6 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Britain as well as other countries has seen it's standards drop and its society has been on a downward spiral ever since marijuana was introduced and has been more or less accepted. All drugs should be outlawed like they used to be when we lived in a world based on morals, decency and the possession of a work ethic. Much more severe sentencing should be introduced to discourage the use of any drugs.

We've always had drunken violence but not the lazy, shiftless behaviour exhibited by those that inhabit the dream world associated with marijuana. And it DOES often lead the user on to harder drugs which often prove to be impossible to get off of and leads those who partake into a life of crime that inflicts misery upon the victims and themselves.

Utter utter nonsense, and pure baiting material. Anyways I'll have a nibble. Care to give any examples of how these millions of users have embarked on criminal careers, blighting the lives of all who they pass. I for one think its a bit of a stretch for you to do. Have a go anyways by all means pal 

7 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Pray tell, when did we ever live in a world based on morals, decency and the possession of a work ethic?

Prohibition never works and always has unintended consequences.

The Mafia became entrenched in American life as a result of the prohibition era of 1920-33.

43 minutes ago, z42 said:

In a word, no. I think some degree of decriminalization is needed though. However there needs to be some control applied to its usage and availability. Weed definitely does affect people differently, and when you have people driving and working under the influence I feel that isn't right.

It is a difficult one really. I see the merits in legalization, but also see the massive potential for some people to completely destroy themselves on it if such a move was made.

For medicinal purposes it is a no brainer that it should be allowed if doctors recommend it for use

Alcohol is legal.. and 10x worse than weed. You got alcohol checks you can check for weed and so on too. Just because things can be misused does not mean you have to ban it you have to go after the misuse.

If weed surplaces alcohol we would have a far less violent society. The only thing weed users attack is a pizza unlike alcohol users who tend to be violent. 

The amount of money wasted policing this drug worldwide is completely ridiculous for the returns it produces. I face no prosecution in a lot of Western countries now but would be hammered in Thailand. The excuse that it leads to the use of harder drugs is ridiculous in the majority of cases. If I drink beer it is not going to make me drink hard liquor- that argument is long since moot. 

Given the choice I would rather spark up a spliff than have a beer to ease my aching joints but it just isn't worth the risk in Thailand at present, especially when a lot of dealers will immediately dob you in to the cops. Roll on Canada next month where medical pot can even be bout in vending machines!

The US Government targeted weed with uber-conservative, religiously moralistic propaganda back in the day. It's right up there with ex-Soviet and N. Korea tactics to program the masses.  One after another, references and images of the devil, women are the victims under the spell, opening their blouses and revealing their udders.  

The religious wonks are obsessed with controlling women and sex.  The younger generations would laugh them out of the room if they pushed this material out now days.   Although I'm quite sure it would still play well to a certain demographic.

http://sobadsogood.com/2015/09/19/laughable-anti-marijuana-propaganda-from-1930s/

34 minutes ago, z42 said:

Utter utter nonsense, and pure baiting material. Anyways I'll have a nibble. Care to give any examples of how these millions of users have embarked on criminal careers, blighting the lives of all who they pass. I for one think its a bit of a stretch for you to do. Have a go anyways by all means pal 

Why is it nonsense. And who are these 'millions of users'. Pal.

Do you actually expect me to quote examples of criminals involved with drugs? Go and spend a morning in the public gallery of you local magistrates court or its equivalent and see for yourself.

I'm claiming most petty crime is committed to get drug money and most petty criminals have a history of drug abuse. If you challenge this claim show some statistics to the contrary.

40 minutes ago, TooPoopedToPop said:

Pray tell, when did we ever live in a world based on morals, decency and the possession of a work ethic?

Prohibition never works and always has unintended consequences.

The Mafia became entrenched in American life as a result of the prohibition era of 1920-33.

Many, many various mafias have become entrenched in British life because of the money to be made in drug traficking and dealing!

It could not get much worse if it was prohibited or not. Any British youngster worth his salt can get hold of drugs within an hour or two if needs be.

The Volstead Act has nothing to do with it.

47 minutes ago, robblok said:

Alcohol is legal.. and 10x worse than weed. You got alcohol checks you can check for weed and so on too. Just because things can be misused does not mean you have to ban it you have to go after the misuse.

If weed surplaces alcohol we would have a far less violent society. The only thing weed users attack is a pizza unlike alcohol users who tend to be violent. 

I've never understood the reasons why weed is illegal while alcohol is legal (well, I have, but only in the sense of how hypocritical those reasons are). They should both be illegal or both be legal - having it the way it is does not make sense.

People will argue about prohibition of alcohol because it failed so miserably the last time, explaining how it encouraged mafia-like criminality - failing to see the parallels with weed.

Can't see any likelihood of Thailand legalizing drugs and as I don't use them neither here nor there. Read somewhere ages ago how Big Pharma was actually behind criminalizing drugs, there is always a profit motive to every action. But consider the absurdity that you can be arrested and jailed for possessing a plant that grows naturally on our planet, one that farmers were encouraged to plant in the US a few hundred years ago, one that's been used for thousands of years and one with proven medical applications. Anyone really believe that someone isn't profiting from criminalization?

The so called war on drugs has been a disaster creating high and expensive prison populations, wasted police resources fighting actual crime, massive police and political corruption, and yet even still anyone can find drugs quite easily, as such it hasn't even stopped drug use. It is a massive social and political failure.

If people want to get wasted on drugs isn't that their problem, also if drugs were more affordable and taxed not only would it reduce crime but save governments enormous amounts of money. I really don't see any reason for society to impose its artificial values on others assuming they aren't hurting anyone but themselves.

16 minutes ago, retoohs said:

yogi100 when do you think gunga was introduced to Britain? Last century? The century before? When did this downward spiral start you talk about?

Gunga Din was a poem written by Rudyard Kipling in 1892.

The use of marijuana was mainly first seen in the 1960s to a limited degree then the 70s and 80s saw the widespread appearance of marijuana in the UK. It was introduced by West Indians.

It's always existed but In the 1950s no one I knew had even heard of it, neither had you heard of ganga or 'gunga' if that's what you meant.

1 hour ago, z42 said:

I'm interested, how do you see someone completely destroy themselves on weed?

X box fatigue, listening to too much music or by deciding to spend an afternoon hanging out around the house?

I think all illicit narcotics should be legalized.  I never met one person who used drugs who said the law prohibiting their use or possession was a consideration.  I never knew one non-user who said it was only the law preventing him.  I don't think the statistics of users vs non-users would change that much if the laws were eliminated.  I know it would not change my choice.

4 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

I'm interested, how do you see someone completely destroy themselves on weed?

X box fatigue, listening to too much music or by deciding to spend an afternoon hanging out around the house?

If that hanging around the house lasts for nigh on a decade, say for a person's entire 20's, then one could say that weed definitely had a detrimental effect.

That being said that same person could spend a large amount of his late 30's as a functioning alcoholic, with similar disastrous outcomes, so I still fail to see why weed is singled out as being terrible.

52 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Why is it nonsense. And who are these 'millions of users'. Pal.

Do you actually expect me to quote examples of criminals involved with drugs? Go and spend a morning in the public gallery of you local magistrates court or its equivalent and see for yourself.

I'm claiming most petty crime is committed to get drug money and most petty criminals have a history of drug abuse. If you challenge this claim show some statistics to the contrary.

Who are the millions, look around you. Britain itself is believed to have ove 14,000,000 users of illegal drugs. 93 percent of which have used marijuana.

Note that only half of those reported to use marijuana have reported using other illegal drugs.

The millions you seek are your neighbors.

Archived