BANGKOK 19 February 2019 07:49

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scott

SURVEY: Should Marijuana be legalized?

SURVEY: Do you believe that Marijuana should be legalized in Thailand?  

413 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Should Marijuana be legalized in Thailand?

Not long ago, a police officer from the drug suppression unit indicate his disapproval of arresting people for marijuana use that could be considered as medically useful.   Later the Justice Ministry, in remarks to ASEAN, stated that Thailand would not be legalizing drugs.   In your opinion, do you believe Marijuana should be legalized for medical use and/or for recreational use?

Please feel free to leave a comment.   

Recent links to some stories on the issue:

Arresting people for medicinal ganja use is like arresting a mother for stealing baby milk for a hungry child police say.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/939233-arresting-people-for-medicinal-ganja-use-like-arresting-a-mother-for-stealing-baby-milk-for-a-hungry-child-police-say/

Justice Minister affirms to ASEAN Thailand will not legalize drugs

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/939473-minister-of-justice-affirms-to-asean-thailand-will-not-legalize-drugs/

Marijuana dealer apprehended

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/939563-wichit-marijuana-dealer-apprehended-bought-stash-through-facebook/

I have always had mixed emotions about marijuana, as well as a lot of other types of drugs.   I have enjoyed it's properties, and not for medical purposes, but what affect it has on a society is open to speculation.

Thailand is, by nature, a rather conservative society, so I don't know if they are ready for the loosening of restrictions.   They might want to wait for some of the other places in the world to see how legalization is going, what problems it is causing and how serious they are.   

I will, unequivocally, say that between spending a huge amount of money to enforce current laws on keeping it illegal are probably a gigantic waste of money and resources.  

Keep all drugs illegal,     for some there's more money to be made that way and the further up the tree you are the bigger the profits.

This is not my personal view and I'm just trying to think how some who might be in or get into a decision making position might see things for reasons that are only too clear.

No country is winning the war against drugs,marijuana is not a drug that tends to get people in trouble.You do not get violent,only hungry and mellow.

Imo marijuana is a lot safer than alcohol,the problem is there is no tax for the government.Marijuana is also a strong painkiller and

has the potential to help victims of different diseases.

Yes make it legal but only if sold buy the government.

Legalize it in Thailand...falangs pay 12% sales tax and kon Tai pay 5%.

The medical marijuana stores in New Mexico and Colorado are doing BRISK business.

Add in Oregon. The tax base is happy.

Great stuff for neuropathy, chemotherapy, depression, end-of-life issues. GREAT for sleeping! Like a nugget of edible.

View the Granddaddy of the medical mj movement, Candian Rick Simpson

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hmYNLF7NBw

yes, yes and yes but Thailand, being 50 years behind most of the developed world,  it may happen in 2066

it is a regressive law and as the authorities around the world realize how much money they make through taxing gunga and by eliminating costs enforcing the law we see legislation changing everywhere. It will also be a boost for tourism

I lived in the Netherlands for two years, departing early this summer, but also lived and worked in the Netherlands for over a year almost 30 years ago.

When I first went to the Netherlands in the late 80s Marijuana was, as it is now, on sale. 

Dutch society has not collapsed since. 

Meanwhile in the intervening years Blair deregulated alcohol in his effort to introduce 'European Cafe Culture' with the predicted result of condemning British town centres Friday and Saturday night alcohol fuelled violence that is only overshadowed by the alcohol fuelled violence that goes on in homes up and down the country.

'European Cafe Culture' was perhaps a good idea, but Blair was in hoc to the booze industry and introduced the wrong 'European Cafe Culture'. 

Never did i Imagine that so many on this site were so liberal. I am shocked that only 2 voted against it. 

In a word, no. I think some degree of decriminalization is needed though. However there needs to be some control applied to its usage and availability. Weed definitely does affect people differently, and when you have people driving and working under the influence I feel that isn't right.

It is a difficult one really. I see the merits in legalization, but also see the massive potential for some people to completely destroy themselves on it if such a move was made.

For medicinal purposes it is a no brainer that it should be allowed if doctors recommend it for use

Britain as well as other countries has seen it's standards drop and its society has been on a downward spiral ever since marijuana was introduced and has been more or less accepted. All drugs should be outlawed like they used to be when we lived in a world based on morals, decency and the possession of a work ethic. Much more severe sentencing should be introduced to discourage the use of any drugs.

We've always had drunken violence but not the lazy, shiftless behaviour exhibited by those that inhabit the dream world associated with marijuana. And it DOES often lead the user on to harder drugs which often prove to be impossible to get off of and leads those who partake into a life of crime that inflicts misery upon the victims and themselves.

6 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Britain as well as other countries has seen it's standards drop and its society has been on a downward spiral ever since marijuana was introduced and has been more or less accepted. All drugs should be outlawed like they used to be when we lived in a world based on morals, decency and the possession of a work ethic. Much more severe sentencing should be introduced to discourage the use of any drugs.

We've always had drunken violence but not the lazy, shiftless behaviour exhibited by those that inhabit the dream world associated with marijuana. And it DOES often lead the user on to harder drugs which often prove to be impossible to get off of and leads those who partake into a life of crime that inflicts misery upon the victims and themselves.

Utter utter nonsense, and pure baiting material. Anyways I'll have a nibble. Care to give any examples of how these millions of users have embarked on criminal careers, blighting the lives of all who they pass. I for one think its a bit of a stretch for you to do. Have a go anyways by all means pal 

7 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Pray tell, when did we ever live in a world based on morals, decency and the possession of a work ethic?

Prohibition never works and always has unintended consequences.

The Mafia became entrenched in American life as a result of the prohibition era of 1920-33.