German fails in suicide bid - despite slashing throat and jumping from 14th floor

rooster59

German fails in suicide bid - despite slashing throat and jumping from 14th floor

aHR0cDovL3BlMS5pc2Fub29rLmNvbS9ucy8wL3VkLzQxMS8yMDU2MjE4LzcyNDYyNy0wMS5qcGc=.jpg

Image: Sanook

BANGKOK:-- A 61 year old German man failed to kill himself despite slashing his neck and throwing himself out of a 14th floor Bangkok hotel room.

Thomas Willy Mahlendorf suffered serious injuries after he landed on the 12th floor. 

The sloping nature of the hotel in Rachadapisek Soi 17 saved his life. He was rushed to hospital.

Suthisan police said that they believe he had tried to kill himself. So far the authorities have failed to contact any relatives of the man who remains in hospital.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-28

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had he succeeded then several here would be calling it murder and blaming the BiB for a cover-up  ;-)

The poor guy thought his life was bad before...now its even worse. Look at how barren & depressing that room is. Filled with only a few very cheap pieces of furniture. 

What is this strange attraction to Thailand that expats get when they choose to stay here in these squallid conditions and all alone? 

30 minutes ago, Thechook said:

Slashes his throat and throws himself out a window, sounds like he was serious. Oh wait, that's what the police believe so might wait to hear what the Germans believes.

Take a look at that room and tell me why you think it was murder and not suicide?

That guys life is worth jumping out  a window for...although I never understand the decision to not just OD on pills after a night of boozing it up.

Painless, no mess.

1 hour ago, ClutchClark said:

Had he succeeded then several here would be calling it murder and blaming the BiB for a cover-up  ;-)

The poor guy thought his life was bad before...now its even worse. Look at how barren & depressing that room is. Filled with only a few very cheap pieces of furniture. 

What is this strange attraction to Thailand that expats get when they choose to stay here in these squallid conditions and all alone? 

"What is this strange attraction to Thailand that expats get when they choose to stay here in these squallid conditions and all alone"? 

It's a hotel room and from the very limited view it's difficult if not impossible to tell much about it at all, hardly squalid though!

1 hour ago, ClutchClark said:

Take a look at that room and tell me why you think it was murder and not suicide?

That guys life is worth jumping out  a window for...although I never understand the decision to not just OD on pills after a night of boozing it up.

Painless, no mess.

When did I say it was murder, the very word isn't even in my post.  The guy isn't even dead and what I was saying is I would rather hear the Germans version of events and not what bumbling bib believe happened.  

1 minute ago, Thechook said:

When did I say it was murder, the very word isn't even in my post.  The guy isn't even dead and what I was saying is I would rather hear the Germans version of events and not what bumbling bib believe happened.  

Absolutely and my apology. I attempted to edit my post after reconsidering yours but the damned website siezes up all the time when I edit.  I will be happy when this transition is sorted out.

Cheers

15 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

"What is this strange attraction to Thailand that expats get when they choose to stay here in these squallid conditions and all alone"? 

It's a hotel room and from the very limited view it's difficult if not impossible to tell much about it at all, hardly squalid though!

Interesting...that photo of the room describes quite a lot to me.

Some people comes to Thailand hoping for a fresh start in this sunny country,

probably not having much of a life to speak of back in their respective courtiers,

and when money runs out, no friends to talk to, problems with a woman,

dark clouds of despair and loneliness descend up him, this is when a decision

to end it all comes about....

2 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Doesn't matter what any of us believe.  A guy ended up with his throat cut and out the window.  Prudent police would at least ask a few questions before closing the case.

Fortunately for the truth, they may get an opportunity this time.  May not be so fortunate for one or more of the players, but we'll have to wait for the guy to tell his side of the story.

Just now, impulse said:

Doesn't matter what any of us believe.  A guy ended up with his throat cut and out the window.  Prudent police would at least ask a few questions before closing the case.

I am pretty certain that what we are reading is a news article and not the complete police report.

So I don't get worried when a few details are often missing from a translated news article.

Even if the article stated the case was closed, and I don't recall it did,  and the German awakes with a story of state secrets and espionage and it being a failed  KGB "hit" then the police can very easily re-open the case.

Right? 

4 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

I am pretty certain that what we are reading is a news article and not the complete police report.

So I don't get worried when a few details are often missing from a translated news article.

Even if the article stated the case was closed, and I don't recall it did,  and the German awakes with a story of state secrets and espionage and it being a failed  KGB "hit" then the police can very easily re-open the case.

Right? 

They have declared it a suicide attempt in the public media.  And identified the guy before contacting any next of kin.  That affects the guy's reputation, and may also devastate his family.  

Does the guy get to sue them for defamation if it turns out otherwise?  

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

They have declared it a suicide attempt in the public media.  And identified the guy before contacting any next of kin.  That affects the guy's reputation, and may also devastate his family.  

sue because he is a loser and could not take his own life.

I though he was German no American.

Just now, impulse said:

I google translated the article and came up with there were wintnesses and the investigation is ongoing.

I don't speak Thai so I do not suggest this is substantiated.

I do not know the evidence gathered or if the german made any statement at the hospital. All I know is what I read in the English version of a Thai translated news article and it could all be fabricated for all I know.

what I do know is that you cannot exclude the police have more evidence to support the current opinion of failed suicide.

Should they release the name before contacting relatives? It is not a western practice but TiT.

just my 2 cents

10 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

I google translated the article and came up with there were wintnesses and the investigation is ongoing.

I don't speak Thai so I do not suggest this is substantiated.

I do not know the evidence gathered or if the german made any statement at the hospital. All I know is what I read in the English version of a Thai translated news article and it could all be fabricated for all I know.

what I do know is that you cannot exclude the police have more evidence to support the current opinion of failed suicide.

Should they release the name before contacting relatives? It is not a western practice but TiT.

just my 2 cents

All good points.  And if this were an isolated case, I'd tend to agree and call it an unfinished incident and give the BIB the benefit of patience while the rest of the story unfolds.

But how many times have we read recently about cases from 2-3 (or more) years ago where the cause of a foreigner's death is still being contested by loved ones, or is still unknown to the family back home?

Murder is bad for tourism.  Suicide, not so much.  Nuff said.

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

All good points.  And if this were an isolated case, I'd tend to agree and call it an unfinished incident and give the BIB the benefit of patience while the rest of the story unfolds.

But how many times have we read recently about cases from 2-3 (or more) years ago where the cause of a foreigner's death is still being contested by loved ones, or is still unknown to the family back home?

Murder is bad for tourism.  Suicide, not so much.  Nuff said.

Alright, I will buy that.

But family almost always has a hard time accepting a loved one committed suicide. One reason is the guilt they feel that they were not "there" for their loved one. 

I have had a couple buddies commit suicide over the years and I always tell others their death was the result of some illness or accident...well before the internet I used to.

There has always been a stigma about suicide Its like your earlier post where you mentioned family could be devastated. Quite true.

So absent hard evidence provided by a loved one as to why it was a murder, I don't consider such claims to be proof of such.

But I am a cynical old bastard  ;-)

12 minutes ago, monkey4u said:

Not much blood for a cut throat,

As for jumping out of a 14th floor window, the man has balls

I don't even like to look out a window that high

Missed the carotid.

I am guessing he didn't look out of the window either. And was unhappily surprised at the shortened flight.

i am sorry if I sound callous but as I get older and more debilitated then the thought of suicide has been added to my list of possibilities. In the end, it should be a mans personal business. I respect his choice. I am sorry he had exhausted other options. 

1 hour ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

Whatever happened to Nembuttal? Every ex-pat home should have some

Not every expat becomes depressed and is out of money.

Some years before Nembutal was not really difficult to buy in some well known pharmacies, but these days no way to get it and Seller and Buyer risk jail in Thailand. Same for every illegal drug.

Always sad when someone decides to take their own life. Hope the guy had time to regret the decision and was saved by the 12th floor. However, a man of that age probably knew what he wants to do and has seen what life has to offer him, as opposed to a spur of the moment broken-hearted teen suicide....I'm sure he will find a way to finish his business, if life really is that bad for him.

I used to live on this street before (Ratchada soi 17), but don't remember any building/hotel that would slope as such that one would not be able to free fall. Does anyone know which hotel this was?

Archived