German fails in suicide bid - despite slashing throat and jumping from 14th floor

rooster59

On 8/28/2016 at 5:36 AM, Thechook said:

Slashes his throat and throws himself out a window, sounds like he was serious. Oh wait, that's what the police believe so might wait to hear what the Germans believes.

What was the point of this rubbish?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, pattayahenry said:

sorry for your mate.
if you are driving in thailand, you have to understand their different mentality, they  view a road like a river full of boats. the same way, a boat cannot simply stop in the middle of a river, they also dont stop, big vehicles always have the right of way, the same as big  boats  versus small boats on a river, including all side-rivers. i am driving my own small motorbikes in pattaya since 20 years, without a single accident. i drive very defensive, as if all other drivers were drunk, thats the only way to stay save.

This is a very insightful observation and it is spot on. 

The Thai are a water people and have been from the earliest of times. That perspective continues completely to this day. 

If you think of it this way when driving it helps alot.

Cheers

13 minutes ago, swanny321 said:

Did he jump or was he pushed?

As others have pointed out, the man is still alive. Why speculate and pontificate before we've heard from him? 

If the motivation here is merely to call all Thai Policemen liars and incompetents, why not start a new thread to that effect?

3 minutes ago, todlad said:

As others have pointed out, the man is still alive. Why speculate and pontificate before we've heard from him? 

If the motivation here is merely to call all Thai Policemen liars and incompetents, why not start a new thread to that effect?

Because posters find it more satisfying to turn every event involving harm to a farang into a murder mystery, well not so much of a real mystery since it is required that a Thai must be responsible. Cut yourself shaving this morning dear or did a Thai slash your face in the bathroom! It's pitiful stuff to read, day after day, week after week.

11 minutes ago, todlad said:

I was merely answering the question you posited: ' What was the point of this rubbish? '

Interesting that you jumped <no pun> to that conclusion however! A little defensive are we?

19 hours ago, PattayaBoy said:

Cowardlish and selfish way out. Someone got to clean that mess, fam expatriate body or ashes, funeral etc. Dying abroad costs fortune.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Are you for real cowards way out I think not brave way out to have the courage to willingly throw yourself of a building or under a bus or slit your wrist whatever way. They are not cowards they are ill iether temporary or long term. They see no other way of ending there nightmare.

1 hour ago, swanny321 said:

I was merely answering the question you posited: ' What was the point of this rubbish? '

Interesting that you jumped <no pun> to that conclusion however! A little defensive are we?

I will accept your answer and humbly extend my apologies.

Not defensive though as I have nothing to defend here.

On 28/08/2016 at 8:26 AM, impulse said:

They have declared it a suicide attempt in the public media.  And identified the guy before contacting any next of kin.  That affects the guy's reputation, and may also devastate his family.  

Does the guy get to sue them for defamation if it turns out otherwise?  

Usually injured people are identified in press reports, next of kin don't come into it, it's the deceased who generally aren't named before next of kin are informed.

On 28/08/2016 at 0:12 PM, PattayaBoy said:

Cowardlish and selfish way out. Someone got to clean that mess, fam expatriate body or ashes, funeral etc. Dying abroad costs fortune.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Who died?

On 28/08/2016 at 0:17 PM, impulse said:

Help me out then.  Show me one case where the Thai police have changed an initial suicide ruling on a foreigner after further investigation.  I'm not saying it's never happened.  I just don't remember any.  Not one in 5 years.

This has been no "ruling" by the police that this was a suicide.

there was another German about 4 years ago who shot himself in pattaya.

After further investigation it was confirmed suicide reported.

the man shot himself must have been able to lick his elbows and he shot himself with a .38 revolver. (not automatic)

The proof of suicide was an empty cartridge was found in the hotel room. :whistling:

The opportunities to bring yourself aside are just unlimited here,

this one slashed his neck and in my point of view the neck is under your backhead, hence cut your neck efficiently must be able to lick your elbows as well.

Just as elsewhere in big metropols (not only Bangkok) there are 1000 ways to die, especially when you are alone and piss somebody off.. 

On 28/08/2016 at 8:36 AM, Thechook said:

Slashes his throat and throws himself out a window, sounds like he was serious. 

If he was serious he should have slashed his jugular vein instead of his throat.

1 minute ago, raybal5 said:

If he was serious he should have slashed his jugular vein instead of his throat.

I figure I am a pretty brave guy and all but could I slash my throat, my jugular or my carotid?

Highly doubtful.

Same for jumping.

I don't understand it compared to pulling a trigger or popping some pills...the latter being most considerate to those who mop up.

Even the most carefully-laid plans for an effective suicide often go wrong with the victim ending up maimed, deformed, brain-damaged, or in a vegetable state for the remainder of their lives--the pill OD method included.  I had a Thai student who swallowed drain cleaner who now lives the rest of his life without a voice and a ghastly hole half-eaten through his throat/neck.

It's not worth the risk, no matter how bad life gets.  Slash your throat and jump 14 floors--what could possibly go wrong with your plan?    Your ill-conceived attempt might end up with life getting even worse by quantum leaps, not to mention the impact on those who might have to care for you.  

I like the saying I heard years ago:  "Suicide is a permanent solution to what is almost always a temporary problem."    

All that said, professionally-administered euthanasia for extreme medical cases is a total other discussion, IMHO.  

On 8/28/2016 at 6:05 AM, ClutchClark said:

Take a look at that room and tell me why you think it was murder and not suicide?

That guys life is worth jumping out  a window for...although I never understand the decision to not just OD on pills after a night of boozing it up.

Painless, no mess.

There is an assumption here that "pills" that bring about a peaceful death are readily available in Thailand; and I doubt that is the case. Even if they are available, the extraordinarily high incidence of "jumping" suicides  indicates the information is little known. Mr Mahlendorf's case is particularly gruesome and heart-wrenching.

I am surprised that the right to a peaceful death is not more widely discussed on TV given the apparently high number of elderly members. Organizations such as Exit International and Dying With Dignity are shedding much needed light on the issue.

5 hours ago, sloperating said:

There is an assumption here that "pills" that bring about a peaceful death are readily available in Thailand; and I doubt that is the case. Even if they are available, the extraordinarily high incidence of "jumping" suicides  indicates the information is little known. Mr Mahlendorf's case is particularly gruesome and heart-wrenching.

I am surprised that the right to a peaceful death is not more widely discussed on TV given the apparently high number of elderly members. Organizations such as Exit International and Dying With Dignity are shedding much needed light on the issue.

It is quite amazing in our 'anything goes' society that this remains a taboo although not really considering that helping somebody to die peacefully who really does want to die would be the decent thing to do and decency isn't a commodity that is held in high esteem these days.

Archived