Is it safe to go to Songkhla for a short beach holiday?

ghworker2010

On 9/1/2016 at 11:27 AM, Stocky said:

There haven't been any bombs in Songkhla Town since 2005, that was the last and only bombing in the town. The reports you see in the press about bombs in Songkhla refer to the province and take place a long way from Songkhla Town.

Our local guys who are well connected to the government, oil and gas, and the fishing industry say the Green World bombing was a business dispute.  No link to separatists at all. Knowing that, Green World is actually one of the preferred hotels for many of our company people who travel down there.  

3 or 4 years ago, I stayed there once and it was very nice.  The next time, I accidentally stayed in a wing that hadn't been renovated, and it wasn't so nice.  Someone else will have to tell you if they've finished the renovation.  If not, just make sure you stay in the newer wing.  As far as safety, I'd stay there in a heartbeat.  And as I've said before, I am a chicken.

I'm not aware of any bombings since the Green World over 10 years ago in or near to Songkhla Town itself.  We get corporate safety briefings all the time, so I'd have expected to hear if there had been one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I lived in Hat Yai for a year until very recently (we have just moved to Chiang Mai) and never felt unsafe. However, my girlfriend (who is from Hat Yai) was never too keen on going to the touristy area, for fear of being blown up. 

We went to Songkhla many times and should we move back I would prefer to live there instead of Hat Yai. It has a bit more charm about it. 

Archived