Zika virus

masuk

What chance is there of Zika virus not spreading in the north, if it's now in Singapore?

Singapore would be the most strictly controlled country in ASEAN, and now they have it.    In Chiang Mai, it's common to see tyres lined up outside various properties, to stop cars parking.  These all have pools of water in them, and the few I've checked all had mosquito wrigglers in them.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-28/singapore-reports-first-locally-transmitted-zika-case/7792036?WT.mc_id=newsmail

"Singapore would be the most strictly controlled country in ASEAN, and now they have it."

They don't have zika radar at airports if thats why you mean…it can sneak in by any means…they just had a contingent return from thje rio games….could be one of them….the place is a haven for mosquitoes…one of the few things the old man could not get to bow to his will.

probably more pertinent is:

how long before that anti- people mosquito agent-orange style mozzie spray is dumped on your populace

The stuff I've smelt and been covered by, over the last 30 years, was/is bad enough

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

"Singapore would be the most strictly controlled country in ASEAN, and now they have it."

They don't have zika radar at airports if thats why you mean…it can sneak in by any means…they just had a contingent return from thje rio games….could be one of them….the place is a haven for mosquitoes…one of the few things the old man could not get to bow to his will.

..and I guess you'll read the attached article eventually.

The lady with the virus has not been overseas nor has any contacts.

Why do you think anyone expects zika radar at airports?  I know you're trying to slay us with your humour, but...

18 minutes ago, masuk said:

..and I guess you'll read the attached article eventually.

The lady with the virus has not been overseas nor has any contacts.

Why do you think anyone expects zika radar at airports?  I know you're trying to slay us with your humour, but...

yea so it just showed up magically….its spread through sex or bites….one of the two….how hard is it to figure out?

I wonder, did they get bitten by a mosquito and infected whilst inside Thailand or while travelling abroad ?

If they got bitten in Thailand then it's already got a foothold and will be well established by now as this was so long ago. We just haven't heard about it yet.

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

I wonder, did they get bitten by a mosquito and infected whilst inside Thailand or while travelling abroad ?

If they got bitten in Thailand then it's already got a foothold and will be well established by now as this was so long ago. We just haven't heard about it yet.

Singapore has reported its first locally-transmitted case of the Zika virus, with three other suspect infections pending confirmation.

Authorities identified the confirmed patient as a 47-year-old Malaysian woman residing in the city-state.

"As she had not travelled to Zika-affected areas recently, she was likely to have been infected in Singapore," the Ministry of Health (MOH) and the National Environment Agency said in a joint statement.

1 hour ago, masuk said:

Singapore has reported its first locally-transmitted case of the Zika virus, with three other suspect infections pending confirmation.

Authorities identified the confirmed patient as a 47-year-old Malaysian woman residing in the city-state.

"As she had not travelled to Zika-affected areas recently, she was likely to have been infected in Singapore," the Ministry of Health (MOH) and the National Environment Agency said in a joint statement.

you seem to be a bit behind….they have discovered 40 new infections now….36 of them among construction site workers the day after the woman was diagnosed….and are claiming that 34 are already cured :whistling:

3 hours ago, MrBrad said:

Zika has been found in two students at one of the larger private schools here in Chiang Mai already.  This was back in late May or so. 

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/two-zika-cases-reported-chiang-mai/

Thanks.  I've obviously picked up an old news feed.  It just appeared this morning.

Apparently my news item was old, even a couple of months.  Amazed that it only just appeared on the news.  Anyway, there is a fresh outbreak in Singapore, so it's still current.

Archived