Drunk old men

cumgranosalum

3 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

Change "old man" with woman, gay man, black man or English man  and the thread gets closed in 4 seconds.  Do you get it?  

Because it wouldn't be true would it - the post is about age and alcohol - Old person would work, but if you look at the expats they are almost to a "man" white anglo-saxon males - 

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, cumgranosalum said:

the implication being that I should learn to live with another person's drink problem? or  drunks bring down whole neighbourhoods or that lying drunk in the road is OK or good for you?

You have two choices, live with it and ignore the behaviour of others, or, embark on a crusade (which I think you've already started) to detox or eliminate all drunks in your area of travels,leading ultimately to the entire planet. And actually I'm more interested in your motivations here, are you a drunk, are you a recovering alcoholic, why such angst about older people who drink, what sparked you off on this?

1 minute ago, cumgranosalum said:

Old person would work, but if you look at the expats they are almost to a "man" white anglo-saxon males - 

Based on what you just wrote, I don't think you've ever been to Thailand! I'll leave you with the other posters here, you're in good company!

5 hours ago, cumgranosalum said:

My OP is there to make a point - it is about denial and overconsumption of alcohol - the fact that it has ruffled so many feathers simply emphasises my point. 

no-one will ever confront their drink problem until they realise they have one - and rather than simplistic gainsaying, if they see themselves in that cameo then they might have taken the first step to recovery.

There's only one think sadder than a drunk and that's an OLD drunk - maybe they will read this and the last few years of their lives may be a little more dignified from now on....

PS - I notice despite your antipathy to the thread you have still managed to make several posts yourself.

Of course your opinion has ruffled feathers, basically because it is an ignorant one.  Yes there are alcoholics and heavy drinkers out there (we all know that) but for some (especially the older) they  have made a lifestyle choice. However the great bulk of readers on this site will be representative with the population at large, they will enjoy a drink and they will get drunk sometimes but they are not addicts. Persoanlly i would rather have a chat with an 'old drunk'than a shallow minded person like you.

2 hours ago, cumgranosalum said:

"they  have made a lifestyle choice"

"they will enjoy a drink and they will get drunk sometimes but they are not addicts"

the expat shuffle......is there anything sadder than an old drunk - the one who thinks he's made a "life-style choice"

I am not totally against what you say but i am not sure why it bothers you so much. I suspect there may actually be more sad people about who do not even get out of ther homes and sit watching TV all day, life can be cruel in old age. 

On September 2, 2016 at 0:52 PM, rogeroc said:

I am not totally against what you say but i am not sure why it bothers you so much. I suspect there may actually be more sad people about who do not even get out of ther homes and sit watching TV all day, life can be cruel in old age. 

So why compound it with alcohol....if just one old man saw this thread and said "OMG, that's me" it just might start some thinking if there is actually more to life than alcohol - however much you drink.

On 28/08/2016 at 8:38 PM, Jip99 said:

To those 'youngsters' who deride those of us who are older, for enjoying these pleasures, I would just remind them that it will not be long before they are looking back as we 'oldies' are doing now and I recommend that they make the most of their lives NOW rather than wasting time looking at the lives of others.

To me, this OP sounds somewhat 'jaded', for reason I know not why.

But I'm a 40-something, and I've been coming to Thailand for over 10 years, and I've been partying just the same, more or less. I've got my drinking down to two to three sessions a week max now. And some weeks I can go without.

And I hope to be doing the same when I'm 70-something, with a 20-somthing on my lap.

Growing old, disgracefully & happily.

4 minutes ago, NotMyUsualid said:

To me, this OP sounds somewhat 'jaded', for reason I know not why.

But I'm a 40-something, and I've been coming to Thailand for over 10 years, and I've been partying just the same, more or less. I've got my drinking down to two to three sessions a week max now. And some weeks I can go without.

And I hope to be doing the same when I'm 70-something, with a 20-somthing on my lap.

Growing old, disgracefully & happily.

Way to go.

If the 70 year old and the 20 year old are happy with the arrangement, then good luck to all.

36 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Way to go.

If the 70 year old and the 20 year old are happy with the arrangement, then good luck to all.

The OP, who reports his current location as Brisbane.

Is either stuck in Brisbane because he is on a very short leash or is now confined to a wheelchair is nothing but jealous of all the old guys having a ball.

To all the oldies, all the power in the world to your elbow and your Woody Woodpecker if that is what is keeping you going. 

Die happy :burp:

• 2 months later...
On 28/08/2016 at 10:03 PM, Agent Sumo said:

I don't see younger guys indulging in this type of behavior as often as I see the old boys do so. 

I go by what I see and what I've seen is lots of long-in-the-tooth berks trying to rediscover their youth and behaving like teenagers when their bodies can't handle the strain.

Walk past any beer bar in Lower Sukhumvit and the overwhelming majority of the sad, beer-sodden faces you'll see are those of senior citizens. Younger guys don't generally come here looking to get married - they get laid, they pay their money and they bounce. Admittedly, older guys - in general - do come here with much the same attitude but then decide they need someone to care for them in their dotage and invariably choose their caregiver unwisely.

thats because the young men are at different stages of life

they have their whole world ahead of them, they probably havent been affected (positively or negatveitly) by married life,

they are more attractive to the ladies back home etc etc

I would assume that your persepcetive on life changes dramatically, for 20 vs 30 vs 40 vs 50 vs 60

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting take. Thanks OP!

Yep- for some, alcohol gives them wings then takes away the sky later.

IMHO, the only thing worse than an axxhat drunk old man is a young drunk & dangerous one.

The latter tends to get weeded out in due course.

• 2 months later...
On 8/31/2016 at 7:47 PM, Johnniey said:

Depends on what you mean by drink too much. Have 8 instead of 6 on a Saturday night or need one in the morning to get rid of the DTs.

But it seems to be that this forum classes both as illustrating a problem drinker/alcoholic.

• 5 months later...

I haven't been to Pattaya for at least eight years so I can't speak about the things you see on Lower Sukhumvit, but I don't see that the behaviour of the younger generations today is doing too much different from what you see, be it in Pattaya, Ibiza, Costa Del fish and chips or where ever, they are just at an earlier stage of the cycle.

Sukhumwit is not in Pattaya, Sharpie!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 3/8/2560 at 10:33 PM, SoiBiker said:

Er, yes it is. It's also in Chonburi, Rayong, Chanthaburi and a bunch of other places on the way to the Cambodian border. 

He specifically referred to Lower Sukhumvit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
To be honest Pattaya is mainly made up of the type the OP is talking about. Most guys are old and boozers. Most young guys don’t come to Pattaya as much as Samui and Phuket as they know it is a shit***e.

Never met anybody young or old that prefers those 2 mafia rip offs to Pattaya unless it's there first trip and always always their last . And I live in bangkok [emoji3]

39 minutes ago, XJPSX said:

To be honest Pattaya is mainly made up of the type the OP is talking about. Most guys are old and boozers. Most young guys don’t come to Pattaya as much as Samui and Phuket as they know it is a shit***e.

I'd disagree with your statement that most guys are like that.  But it's true that the guys who you notice are like that.  But we don't even notice the normal people.

In my town in the UK, you would be very foolish to take your family out at night down town, or even go yourself for a nice meal and a quiet drink with your wife.  For some reason, the town centres have become almost war zones on a weekend, and increasingly on a weekday.  Down town Pattaya is little different, apart from the age range of those who are hammered and 50 Baht drinks don't help.  Most of the old men look sad wrecks of humans to me. 

I have quite often noticed the "midnight stare" , as I call it .

I have seen it a few times .

A drunken felang guy walking down the street at past midnight quite drunk and he passes a pretty

Thai lady , and he just stops and stares at her and nods his head or something and with a look of lust in his eyes , he has to adjust is leg , to stop that twinge in his groin area from expanding .

The girl desperately tries to avoid eye contact and walks in the road to avoid him and hurries off into the night

• 4 weeks later...

Archived