American teacher missing in Hua Hin

webfact

American teacher missing in Hua Hin

ex.jpg

HUA HIN: -- An urgent appeal for has been launched for any information as to the whereabouts of an American teacher who has been missing for almost one month.

For the last 6 years, James Hughes, originally from Mississippi has been a teacher at Webster University’s Hua Hin campus and is a well known member of the expat community in Hua Hin and Cha Am.

He was last seen at his apartment in Cha Am on Tuesday August 2nd by his friend David Hodgins, who described Mr Hughes as being “very much not himself”.

When Mr Hodgins returned to check on his friend the next day he found no sign of Mr Hughes and his apartment had been left unlocked and all of his personal items were left inside.

Mr Hughes failed to return work on August 23rd.

Anyone with information is urged to contact Hua Hin police on 032 533440-1 or Christopher Byrd via Facebook.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-29

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Just1Voice said:

So many possible scenarios to this, that there's no way to even begin to speculate on what might have happened. 

Why would speculation on Thai Visa be of any value anyway.

Unfortunately many people seem to think situations like this are meant to promote a guessing game, generally involving a healthy dose of Thai bashing.

I think the comment "very much not himself" raises a huge red flag , but to look for him ! Where does it start. It's been 26 days since he was last seen , sadly, this doesn't look good.

the statement said his apartment was unlocked and personal effects were still there. I wonder if his passport was there ?

10 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Hopefully the members here recognize this does not sound positive for a fellow farang who looks like a decent sort and they will refrain from the light-hearted, slow witted humor that looks to be starting.

It could happen to any of us.

" a fellow farang "

No idea what this means. Is everyone of a certain race or nationality of special interest and importance only to others of the same race or nationality? Should any Thai members of Thai Visa be excluded?

I have forwarded his photo to some farang restaurant and  bar owners that I know there in Hua Hin. 

I have a lot of free time, maybe I will print some flyers up with his photo and hand them out with that Facebook page as a contact.

you never know.

If I were to go missing I would hope someone would do the same for me. 

51 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

" a fellow farang "

No idea what this means. Is everyone of a certain race or nationality of special interest and importance only to others of the same race or nationality? Should any Thai members of Thai Visa be excluded?

many farang find themselves without a support network of family & friends accumulated over a lifetime like back home when they move to a new country.

Understand now?

Hope he shows up, healthy and fine.  Quick departures without notifying friends or associates is often a bad sign but maybe he just wanted a change.  Maybe he became ill and sought treatment in BKK.  Positive thoughts from here for the guy.  

Assuming August 23 was his first scheduled day back to work, there's always the possibility he went back home during his break and circumstances prevent him from coming back to Thailand.

Crossing my fingers he's in the USA with family and loved ones.

These sort of things usually don’t turn out well in Thailand but then again one good point not blood stains and no body so always leave hope for him just turning up suddenly or getting in touch with a good friend, he possibly decided to run off with a favourite student and start a new life in Vietnam, or went to stay with them in some farm in the sticks but would still not explain leaving everything at his apartment would have thought he would of taken some life’s essentials phone lap top, and confided in at least one friend what his intentions were. We will all pray and hope for his safe return.    

Archived