Deckchairs banned on Pattaya Beach after tourists chased away for not paying money

webfact

Deckchairs banned on Pattaya Beach after tourists chased away for not paying money

Report by Pattaya One News Team

pat1.jpg

Pattaya Beach Dispute

PATTAYA: -- In a scene mirroring that at Wongamat Beach, Naklua, last year, beach deck chairs and umbrellas have been banned at Pattaya Beach.

In similar circumstances tourists had arrived to place their beach mats and enjoy the sea and sand for free.

However, angry beach chair vendors became abusive, threatening and chased them away for not paying for their services.

The tourists complained to the legal representative at Pattaya City Hall, Mr Setthapol Boonsawad, who immediately took a team to Beach Road, at Soi 8, and served banning orders on the vendors in question.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/231021/deckchairs-banned-pattaya-beach-tourists-chased-away-not-paying-money/

pattaya-one_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya One 2016-08-31

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Removing chairs from Wongamat was plain stupid,  they were 40 baht,  served decent food & drink.  Very popular in high season.  I expect it was more about backhanders not being sufficient myself.  Or maybe just stupidity.  Does happen in Los I hear. 

1 hour ago, Jools said:

Since they're so concerned about our wellbeing, they might consider breaking some heads at the Jomtien songtheaw mafia. These scum poke and prod passengers in an effort to pack the seats as full as they can. They are abusive and will make you get out of the songtheaw if you protest about being touched. They need to find several of their number washed up on Pattaya Beach. The lowest form of life imaginable.

Rather than be cattle at the South Road terminal, why not just walk a couple of hundred yards along Second Road and flag down one of the less full ones? It will take you to Jomtien for the same 10B, often in splendid isolation.

I admire the tourists for complaining. So few people do complain here, which is the reason that the scammers get away with so much.

The penalty incurred by the vendor (barely 2 weeks ban) seems entirely insufficient and will probably be ignored anyway. A large fine should be imposed also.

There are far too many ugly beach chairs and umbrellas on Pattaya beach. They should be restricted to occupying 20 yards in every 100 yards, and they should be required to have uniform pastel colours that are not garish.

2 hours ago, ace said:

Removing chairs from Wongamat was plain stupid,  they were 40 baht,  served decent food & drink.  Very popular in high season.  I expect it was more about backhanders not being sufficient myself.  Or maybe just stupidity.  Does happen in Los I hear. 

Same same on Wongamat. One of the vendors was caught on cam telling tourists they cannot sit on the sand for free. Although I do miss the seats, at least the vendors have been punished (although the public is being punished too).

I don't care how "nice" the vendors are.  Do they OWN the beach??  What right have they to chase off people who just want to put down a blanket and sit on the sand?  Oh wait, is this greed-driven squatting and abuse of tourists all part of the "Thainess" we're all supposed to have such a great respect and grand appreciation for?

OK, apologists.  C'mon.  Try and tell me this happens everywhere in the world!   Pfffft.   Go back a few years and it didn't even happen in Pattaya!

1 minute ago, hawker9000 said:

I don't care how "nice" the vendors are.  Do they OWN the beach??  What right have they to chase off people who just want to put down a blanket and sit on the sand?  Oh wait, is this greed-driven squatting and abuse of tourists all part of the "Thainess" we're all supposed to have such a great respect and grand appreciation for?

OK, apologists.  C'mon.  Try and tell me this happens everywhere in the world!   Pfffft.   Go back a few years and it didn't even happen in Pattaya!

I've never seen her hassle anyone and I'm not gullible to believe everything I read or view in the media. I've worked in television far too long for that. If I witness such behavior maybe I'll change my view. My wife lost her cellphone on this woman's patch which was found and returned the next day. I have nothing but good at this point in time to say about this woman

36 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

i am going to be the guy looking at this from the other side. beach chair operators dont own the beach but they pay rent for their area they use. they look after it and generally do a good job cleaning it. need to probably have half the beach for chairs and half for those who dont use them. easy problem to solve but it will probably never be solved.

There is plenty of room for both deck chairs, and people laying on the beach. The deck chair worms do not own the beach. All that is required is for the police to give them a major slap up the back of the head, and fine them 50,000 baht for abuse of tourists, payable within 24 hours, or the permanent loss of their concession. The word will get around, and within 24 hours all tourists using the beach without renting chairs will be left alone. End of story. All that is required to resolve these kinds of problems are a firm hand on the part of authorities, and some coherent and consistent policy. Problem solved. 

The few remaining Western tourists who are visiting Thailand, deserve more hospitality and respect than this. The last thing in the world they want to encounter is a screaming, petulant, entitled, arrogant, small minded, non-visionary Thai harassing them on the beach, because they are not renting one of their chairs. How boring. How petty. How unintelligent a thing for them to do. They need some discipline. The police need to do some real law enforcement work. I realize it feels alien to them, but they need to do it. 

If the same vendor is charged with a second offense, they should be permanently removed from the beach, their concession should be permanently revoked, and they should be blacklisted from having a beach concession anywhere in Thailand, for the rest of their lives. Problem solved. 

8 minutes ago, 1337markus said:

Simple solution so Thai vendors wont have to think. All tourists boycott Pattaya; then there is no need to chase tourists off the beach. In CNX it happened to the Chinese being boycotted but now who pays the vendors money? LOL.

While it is a decent concept, it would never happen. Pattaya is now part of many Chinese tours. It is easy to get to, relatively inexpensive for the tour operators to book rooms (as there are hundreds of hotels willing to discount their rooms substantially, as long as it is not public knowledge) and they can include:

"tour of the wild crazy sex workers zone"

"see how the Thai sex industry thrives"

"witness the lives of the Thai hookers"

"come and see hundreds of lady boys all dressed up"

"visit the morally depraved zones of Sin City"

I was in the Ptong the other week, great uncluttered Beach, no chairs, food stalls etc, just sand.

But in all honesty Loungers/Chairs/Umbrellas should be allowed but only as and when some one asks for one. 

They line them up every day apart from a Wednesday on Pattaya Beach, blocking it off for all and sundry, they are only 5% occupied at most. What the Police should be doing is telling the vendors to remove the ones not occupied.

6 hours ago, ace said:

I actually go down there with my family a lot more since they took the chairs away. Its nice to be able to put a beach mat down and not get abused for it. It would be useful I admit to have someone lumping a cool box around selling drinks, however I don't mind carrying my own.

Maybe a chair and non chair area to keep everyone happy?

6 hours ago, Jools said:

Since they're so concerned about our wellbeing, they might consider breaking some heads at the Jomtien songtheaw mafia. These scum poke and prod passengers in an effort to pack the seats as full as they can. They are abusive and will make you get out of the songtheaw if you protest about being touched. They need to find several of their number washed up on Pattaya Beach. The lowest form of life imaginable.

and the list gets longer.

Beaches are nature's gift….why the hell do I need to pay to sit on one….if I don't want a chair.

I think the chair scene should be run by the government…they should then plough the fees collected back into maintaining the beach….

The thai mafia who run the show here don't give a damn about the beach obviously its just a little cash cow for them…they pay nothing for the privilege of renting these chairs themselves.

5 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I admire the tourists for complaining. So few people do complain here, which is the reason that the scammers get away with so much.

The penalty incurred by the vendor (barely 2 weeks ban) seems entirely insufficient and will probably be ignored anyway. A large fine should be imposed also.

There are far too many ugly beach chairs and umbrellas on Pattaya beach. They should be restricted to occupying 20 yards in every 100 yards, and they should be required to have uniform pastel colours that are not garish.

you are right. regulate them and enforce the regulations rather than remove them altogether.

3 hours ago, retoohs said:

I've never seen her hassle anyone and I'm not gullible to believe everything I read or view in the media. I've worked in television far too long for that. If I witness such behavior maybe I'll change my view. My wife lost her cellphone on this woman's patch which was found and returned the next day. I have nothing but good at this point in time to say about this woman

I can't believe all the the Thai Visa people who can justify (sneaking on and) riding the bus for free versus paying for their ride...... Unbelievable.......

For about the equivialnt of  1 U.S. Dollar (34Baht presently) and 40 Baht for a chair with umbrella and they want to carry their own blanket and chair.......????? Unbelievable...............

Maybe they don't understand that these beach chair vendors pay a monthly fee to rent their stretch of beach as a business. It is a business venture and their simple living. They are offering a product for sale at a very reasonable price, and yet tourists who have the money for flights and hotels and shopping will try to save 'a dollar' at the expense of POOR WORKING Thai folks??????????????????

All I can say is help support Thailand and 'CHEAP CHARLIES' .............. Stay HOME......................... AND SAVE A 'DOLLAR'

As i often say...... "Love America or leave It"   now i add.... "love Thailand or leave it"     As a tourist I label you a 'Cheap Charlie'  Please prove me wrong.........

7 hours ago, ace said:

Death is the only thing that's forever, but not even that is here. Sounds like an unusually smart way to train stupid children of the need to police each other, or loose their allowance for awhile after probably a lot of idle threats. 

11 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

I can't believe all the the Thai Visa people who can justify (sneaking on and) riding the bus for free versus paying for their ride...... Unbelievable.......

For about the equivialnt of  1 U.S. Dollar (34Baht presently) and 40 Baht for a chair with umbrella and they want to carry their own blanket and chair.......????? Unbelievable...............

Maybe they don't understand that these beach chair vendors pay a monthly fee to rent their stretch of beach as a business. It is a business venture and their simple living. They are offering a product for sale at a very reasonable price, and yet tourists who have the money for flights and hotels and shopping will try to save 'a dollar' at the expense of POOR WORKING Thai folks??????????????????

All I can say is help support Thailand and 'CHEAP CHARLIES' .............. Stay HOME......................... AND SAVE A 'DOLLAR'

As i often say...... "Love America or leave It"   now i add.... "love Thailand or leave it"     As a tourist I label you a 'Cheap Charlie'  Please prove me wrong.........

Jeez wept. Have you any idea at all? It's not the beach chairs per se - it's the thuggery that accompanies them. There is a video (can't find it) of a woman being assaulted and beaten on Pattaya beach for laying on her towel. The thug was employed by a deckchair operator. There are countless other examples of such fear tactics and intimidation by deckchair operators. It's stopped me from going to the local beaches - I'd happily use the deckchairs, but I won't support thugs. As for a simple business venture and paying for the right - you should bone up on the reality. If it were just a case of simple, honest business people ... sadly, it's not for the most part.

Archived