Deckchairs banned on Pattaya Beach after tourists chased away for not paying money

webfact

13 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

I can't believe all the the Thai Visa people who can justify (sneaking on and) riding the bus for free versus paying for their ride...... Unbelievable.......

For about the equivialnt of  1 U.S. Dollar (34Baht presently) and 40 Baht for a chair with umbrella and they want to carry their own blanket and chair.......????? Unbelievable...............

Maybe they don't understand that these beach chair vendors pay a monthly fee to rent their stretch of beach as a business. It is a business venture and their simple living. They are offering a product for sale at a very reasonable price, and yet tourists who have the money for flights and hotels and shopping will try to save 'a dollar' at the expense of POOR WORKING Thai folks??????????????????

All I can say is help support Thailand and 'CHEAP CHARLIES' .............. Stay HOME......................... AND SAVE A 'DOLLAR'

As i often say...... "Love America or leave It"   now i add.... "love Thailand or leave it"     As a tourist I label you a 'Cheap Charlie'  Please prove me wrong.........

Really dude? The charm  of Thai beaches is the sand and the view. Not the farang who rent the chairs from the Thais who rent out beach chairs and serve less than first class food. I doubt they got their concessions by being stand-up Thais. They most likely got it by knowing who to bribe. I like my beaches without Christmas trees. Only people I can see standing up for these hawkers are people who would most likely be best served on a cheap beach on the east coast of Florida. 

So love America and its cheap thrills?... then go see mickey mouse and head out to the cheap beaches when your done.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

I doubt they got their concessions by being stand-up Thais. They most likely got it by knowing who to bribe

The chair vendors on Pattaya and Jomtien beaches pay  the local authority a yearly fee for the concession to operate,

Just now, JHolmesJr said:

how much is it?

I have been told its some sort of auction system...I suppose the person with the fattest brown envelope wins.

at the beach further south of Jomtien in Bahn Ampur beach  a vendor told me it was ( from memory ) 50,000 baht per year

( my memory on this amount is hazy though )   I would imagine Pattaya beach is more expensive.

3 hours ago, sawadeeken said:

I can't believe all the the Thai Visa people who can justify (sneaking on and) riding the bus for free versus paying for their ride...... Unbelievable.......

For about the equivialnt of  1 U.S. Dollar (34Baht presently) and 40 Baht for a chair with umbrella and they want to carry their own blanket and chair.......????? Unbelievable...............

Maybe they don't understand that these beach chair vendors pay a monthly fee to rent their stretch of beach as a business. It is a business venture and their simple living. They are offering a product for sale at a very reasonable price, and yet tourists who have the money for flights and hotels and shopping will try to save 'a dollar' at the expense of POOR WORKING Thai folks??????????????????

All I can say is help support Thailand and 'CHEAP CHARLIES' .............. Stay HOME......................... AND SAVE A 'DOLLAR'

As i often say...... "Love America or leave It"   now i add.... "love Thailand or leave it"     As a tourist I label you a 'Cheap Charlie'  Please prove me wrong.........

Vendors offer a service.

Some people don't want to use that service.

Sawadeeken thinks everyone should conform to his way of thinking and use the service whether people want to or not.

Okay Sawadeeken, since you are so concerned about these Thai vendors and insist everyone conform to your way of thinking, we will call you when we want to go to the beach and not use these services, but instead will use them and YOU pay for them.

Okay? We will all do what you want and you will be happy. Remember now, don't be a Cheap Charlie and back out of this. It's only a dollar. Like it or leave Thailand immediately.

You see Sawadeeken, how stupid that sounds? That's because it's based on your logic. We don't have to conform to your way of thinking. We can go to the beach and not use these old, beat up, dirty chairs if we don't want to.

You don't like it? Then you leave. We're fine with using or not using services in this country and will not pay for services we don't want. You Thai apologists all read from the same script. If someone disagrees with you, then they have to leave the country. Can't you come up with something better? Every time I read Thaivisa there is at least one apologist who uses this same cliché.

Get creative. Come up with a better cliché.

1 hour ago, johng said:

I have been told its some sort of auction system...I suppose the person with the fattest brown envelope wins.

at the beach further south of Jomtien in Bahn Ampur beach  a vendor told me it was ( from memory ) 50,000 baht per year

( my memory on this amount is hazy though )   I would imagine Pattaya beach is more expensive.

It may well be the true cost.

But a vendor will go straight into Lie mode,   when asked this type of question

regarding money,    they cant help it,    its a cultural thing of pattaya. :wai2:

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

If the same vendor is charged with a second offense, they should be permanently removed from the beach, their concession should be permanently revoked, and they should be blacklisted from having a beach concession anywhere in Thailand, for the rest of their lives. Problem solved. 

I could be wrong but I seem to remember this particular vendor being in the news before for similar behavior, but considering the jetski boys got away with their violence daily for a decade or two and bar bouncers still regularly beat their customers in the streets I dont think abuse of tourists is the biggest concern Thais have

This is not about deckchairs, it is about the belligerent attitude of the vendors working the beach.  On Jomtien Beach, none of the local vendors would sell me a drink because the woman where I rented a deckchair had them all scared to death of her wrath if they sold to her exclusive customers.   Her prices for drinks was higher than her competitors.  At 4pm she ran everyone off the beach and closed up shop. 

Have not rented another chair.   Let them starve. 

13 hours ago, ace said:

Removing chairs from Wongamat was plain stupid,  they were 40 baht,  served decent food & drink.  Very popular in high season.  I expect it was more about backhanders not being sufficient myself.  Or maybe just stupidity.  Does happen in Los I hear. 

10 hours ago, jeca22 said:

Same same on Wongamat. One of the vendors was caught on cam telling tourists they cannot sit on the sand for free. Although I do miss the seats, at least the vendors have been punished (although the public is being punished too).

10 hours ago, retoohs said:

I know the lady involved through renting her chairs on many occasion. She is great and I will still support her when she returns

I,ve been using Wongamat beach for the past three years and this "lady" in question decided the beach was her,s alone by taking up virtually all of it with her beds,the only room available was by the waters edge as the tide receded and then she decided that was hers also only to be caught out by another thai beach vendor who was sick of her attitude and filmed it.

She was a greedy woman and got what she deserved....closed down.......:thumbsup:

12 hours ago, Pinot said:

Why isn't like Phuket where all deck chairs and vendors banned? Our beaches are beautiful again. You don't need chairs to enjoy the beach.

How many on on the beach frying like bacon?

16 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i am going to be the guy looking at this from the other side. beach chair operators dont own the beach but they pay rent for their area they use. they look after it and generally do a good job cleaning it. need to probably have half the beach for chairs and half for those who dont use them. easy problem to solve but it will probably never be solved.

Are they paying "rent", as in "my exclusive use" (the way you'd "rent" an apartment), or "rent" as in they simply have a license or permit to operate in that spot.  BIG difference!

Naturally if they're renting out their chairs there, they're going to keep it clean.  But that doesn't justify chasing off anyone.  Not at all.

Another apologist.

17 hours ago, retoohs said:

I've never seen her hassle anyone and I'm not gullible to believe everything I read or view in the media. I've worked in television far too long for that. If I witness such behavior maybe I'll change my view. My wife lost her cellphone on this woman's patch which was found and returned the next day. I have nothing but good at this point in time to say about this woman

She isn't the only beach vendor is she? Maybe she doesn't but probably one of her gang does it. See stereotyping does no good.

11 hours ago, Global Guy said:

Vendors offer a service.

Some people don't want to use that service.

Sawadeeken thinks everyone should conform to his way of thinking and use the service whether people want to or not.

Okay Sawadeeken, since you are so concerned about these Thai vendors and insist everyone conform to your way of thinking, we will call you when we want to go to the beach and not use these services, but instead will use them and YOU pay for them.

Okay? We will all do what you want and you will be happy. Remember now, don't be a Cheap Charlie and back out of this. It's only a dollar. Like it or leave Thailand immediately.

You see Sawadeeken, how stupid that sounds? That's because it's based on your logic. We don't have to conform to your way of thinking. We can go to the beach and not use these old, beat up, dirty chairs if we don't want to.

You don't like it? Then you leave. We're fine with using or not using services in this country and will not pay for services we don't want. You Thai apologists all read from the same script. If someone disagrees with you, then they have to leave the country. Can't you come up with something better? Every time I read Thaivisa there is at least one apologist who uses this same cliché.

Get creative. Come up with a better cliché.

So you don't think they provide a good service for those of us who cant fit a deck chair in our suitcases?   I like the beach vendors and the wide array of cheap services they provide. I cant stand whiny, whinging tourists who spoil it for the rest of us.  Please go home back to what ever vanilla tedious suburb you came from. Do us all a favour.

15 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

Jeez wept. Have you any idea at all? It's not the beach chairs per se - it's the thuggery that accompanies them. There is a video (can't find it) of a woman being assaulted and beaten on Pattaya beach for laying on her towel. The thug was employed by a deckchair operator. There are countless other examples of such fear tactics and intimidation by deckchair operators. It's stopped me from going to the local beaches - I'd happily use the deckchairs, but I won't support thugs. As for a simple business venture and paying for the right - you should bone up on the reality. If it were just a case of simple, honest business people ... sadly, it's not for the most part.

Stopped you from going to the beaches? Pathetic! Really you should never have left home.

4 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

Are they paying "rent", as in "my exclusive use" (the way you'd "rent" an apartment), or "rent" as in they simply have a license or permit to operate in that spot.  BIG difference!

Naturally if they're renting out their chairs there, they're going to keep it clean.  But that doesn't justify chasing off anyone.  Not at all.

Another apologist.

please read my post again. no where am i apologizing for their actions. i just wanted to look at what happened from the chair renters perspective. it is a good habbit to see things from both sides before making judgement. they have paid money for the area. times are tough and they need to cover their costs. my point is there needs to be areas with deck chairs and empty areas for those who want to sit on the sand. areas will probably be filthy of course without anyone to clean them however.

8 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

please read my post again. no where am i apologizing for their actions. i just wanted to look at what happened from the chair renters perspective. it is a good habbit to see things from both sides before making judgement. they have paid money for the area. times are tough and they need to cover their costs. my point is there needs to be areas with deck chairs and empty areas for those who want to sit on the sand. areas will probably be filthy of course without anyone to clean them however.

Please get a grip.  They did NOT pay money for the "area".  It's a beach FPS.  It's nobody's to "rent" to them in the first place!  Sheesh.  They paid money for a permit to operate their businesses there.   It is a good habit to be objective, and if possible ACCURATE, about the things you're commenting upon.   Yes, by taking a biased "perspective", you ARE apologizing for (i.e., laboring to excuse) their actions.

Can I "rent" the main street of your town, and charge people to use it, and chase people off who refuse to buy my food but just want to window shop there?  Of course not.  The police might give me permit to operate my food truck there, but I'm certainly not going to be able to close the street off to those who refuse to buy my food!

23 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

I don't care how "nice" the vendors are.  Do they OWN the beach??  What right have they to chase off people who just want to put down a blanket and sit on the sand?  Oh wait, is this greed-driven squatting and abuse of tourists all part of the "Thainess" we're all supposed to have such a great respect and grand appreciation for?

OK, apologists.  C'mon.  Try and tell me this happens everywhere in the world!   Pfffft.   Go back a few years and it didn't even happen in Pattaya!

Totally agree!!!..... 15 years ago there was hardly ever a problem with beach vendors. Now they think they have title and own the beach......

2 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

Please get a grip.  They did NOT pay money for the "area".  It's a beach FPS.  It's nobody's to "rent" to them in the first place!  Sheesh.  They paid money for a permit to operate their businesses there.   It is a good habit to be objective, and if possible ACCURATE, about the things you're commenting upon.   Yes, by taking a biased "perspective", you ARE apologizing for (i.e., laboring to excuse) their actions.

Can I "rent" the main street of your town, and charge people to use it, and chase people off who refuse to buy my food but just want to window shop there?  Of course not.  The police might give me permit to operate my food truck there, but I'm certainly not going to be able to close the street off to those who refuse to buy my food!

take a chill pill. understanding why people behaved  the way they did can help solve the problem. again my point is why there needs to be areas for deck chairs and areas for those who dont want them.

One of the first moves the military made after the coup was throwing every vendor and business off of the King's beaches in Phuket...every single one of them. Demolition of the restaurants and discos extending to the waterline, all came down. Phuket is beautiful now. With the reclaiming of the beaches was the elimination of a whole level of corruption. 

Looking back, it was the best thing that ever happened to Phuket. 

I don't know why it wasn't followed up by doing it everywhere in Thailand. It should be. I see it slowly happening in places like Hua Hin. It should be done in Samui. They'll be kicking and screaming but in the end Thailand will be far better off without the goddamn chairs and encroaching businesses. 

2 minutes ago, Pinot said:

One of the first moves the military made after the coup was throwing every vendor and business off of the King's beaches in Phuket...every single one of them. Demolition of the restaurants and discos extending to the waterline, all came down. Phuket is beautiful now. With the reclaiming of the beaches was the elimination of a whole level of corruption. 

Looking back, it was the best thing that ever happened to Phuket. 

I don't know why it wasn't followed up by doing it everywhere in Thailand. It should be. I see it slowly happening in places like Hua Hin. It should be done in Samui. They'll be kicking and screaming but in the end Thailand will be far better off without the goddamn chairs and encroaching businesses. 

it is just temporary.

16 hours ago, phycokiller said:

I could be wrong but I seem to remember this particular vendor being in the news before for similar behavior, but considering the jetski boys got away with their violence daily for a decade or two and bar bouncers still regularly beat their customers in the streets I dont think abuse of tourists is the biggest concern Thais have

That is a fairly astute observation. The little man talks about how important tourism is, and the midget mind heading the Tourism Ministry always goes on and on about what a great job everyone is doing, and how tourism is booming. But, how much time and energy and resources are devoted to the safety and welfare of the much coveted tourists, once they arrive here? What kinds of resources are available for tourists? How strongly do the police advocate for the safety of tourists? 

There is dreadfully little energy put into this on the part of the authorities. Public safety, traffic safety, and the welfare of the people has never been high on the agenda of this non-visionary administration. 

7 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

That is a fairly astute observation. The little man talks about how important tourism is, and the midget mind heading the Tourism Ministry always goes on and on about what a great job everyone is doing, and how tourism is booming. But, how much time and energy and resources are devoted to the safety and welfare of the much coveted tourists, once they arrive here? What kinds of resources are available for tourists? How strongly do the police advocate for the safety of tourists? 

There is dreadfully little energy put into this on the part of the authorities. Public safety, traffic safety, and the welfare of the people has never been high on the agenda of this non-visionary administration. 

I would imagine her education and responsibilities dwarf anything you have done.  Calling her midget mind is probably not accurate.   http://www.bloomberg.com/profiles/people/17654887-kobkarn-wattanavrangkul

On August 31, 2016 at 5:25 AM, Jools said:

Since they're so concerned about our wellbeing, they might consider breaking some heads at the Jomtien songtheaw mafia. These scum poke and prod passengers in an effort to pack the seats as full as they can. They are abusive and will make you get out of the songtheaw if you protest about being touched. They need to find several of their number washed up on Pattaya Beach. The lowest form of life imaginable.

Many of us consider the songtheaw guys to be difficult, but sort of ok, and tuk tuk guys to be quite obnoxious, and by far the worst. I avoid them like the bubonic plague, and spanish influenza. I am ok with most taxi drivers in Bangkok, but on the southern islands, they have been allowed to fester for a generation with little to no regulation by a fabulously indifferent series of governments. I am definitely ok with most moto bike taxi drivers. They have a hard job, and most perform it quite well. But, those other guys? In Pattaya, Phuket, and on Samui they seem to be the worst. Really low lifes. Really abusive. 

Archived