Deckchairs banned on Pattaya Beach after tourists chased away for not paying money

webfact

6 hours ago, The manic said:

Stopped you from going to the beaches? Pathetic! Really you should never have left home.

So you think I should risk being physically assaulted every day? I'm 65 - being smacked around the head and kicked in the ribs is not my idea of fun.

You desperately need a reality check. FYI, the King has decreed that the beaches belong to the people - the idea being that they can go somewhere pleasant and relax on their days off - the fear of being beaten up by arrogant self-entitled scumbags is hardly pleasant and relaxing. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

take a chill pill. understanding why people behaved  the way they did can help solve the problem. again my point is why there needs to be areas for deck chairs and areas for those who dont want them.

Oh, so if I understand why people rob banks, shoot up a school, abuse children,  shoplift, or claim territorial waters that belong to somebody else, that's all we need to do to solve the problem?   What rubbish.  You keep babbling the same drivel endlessly about needing an area for deck chairs.  Newsflash:  there ARE areas for deck chairs.  The PROBLEM ISN'T that there are no such areas; the PROBLEM IS that those who operate them think that gives them the right to drive off those who don't want the service!!  It's called squatting.  Operating deck chair rentals simply doesn't give anyone the right to claim that section of beach from sidewalk to waterline as their own exclusive, private, territory! 

There definitely IS a lack of understanding here.  And it's by YOU!!  Wanna' talk about pills?  You should get back on yours...

55 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

Oh, so if I understand why people rob banks, shoot up a school, abuse children,  shoplift, or claim territorial waters that belong to somebody else, that's all we need to do to solve the problem?   What rubbish.  You keep babbling the same drivel endlessly about needing an area for deck chairs.  Newsflash:  there ARE areas for deck chairs.  The PROBLEM ISN'T that there are no such areas; the PROBLEM IS that those who operate them think that gives them the right to drive off those who don't want the service!!  It's called squatting.  Operating deck chair rentals simply doesn't give anyone the right to claim that section of beach from sidewalk to waterline as their own exclusive, private, territory! 

There definitely IS a lack of understanding here.  And it's by YOU!!  Wanna' talk about pills?  You should get back on yours...

champ. settle down. i like a good discussion about things but you are loosing it. dont know whats going on in your life that you get so aggravated so easily but you need to sort it out. this is just an internet chat forum to have some fun. hopefully you can calm down and we can carry on.

now what i keep saying over and over and over again is we need areas that DONT have deck chairs. not sure how you missed that.

secondly understanding why people commit crimes is how you tackle crime. if you understand their motivation then it is possible to solve many crimes.

back to you.

12 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

champ. settle down. i like a good discussion about things but you are loosing it. dont know whats going on in your life that you get so aggravated so easily but you need to sort it out. this is just an internet chat forum to have some fun. hopefully you can calm down and we can carry on.

now what i keep saying over and over and over again is we need areas that DONT have deck chairs. not sure how you missed that.

secondly understanding why people commit crimes is how you tackle crime. if you understand their motivation then it is possible to solve many crimes.

back to you.

Oh please.  You can't handle disagreement so you try & heap condescension on those who disagree with you. I suppose it provides some relief to the verbally lame and the logic-challenged, so I concede the needs of the disabled must be entertained.  But listen, do all the amateur head-shrinking you want.  The deck-chair mafia needs to be brought into line.  It's that simple.  You're off on some bender trying to over-complicate it.  Enjoy it, but no study or commission or psychoanalysis (and most importantly, no further DELAY) is actually required here.  Read 'em the riot act, and if they don't get it, cancel their permits.  It's easy, and it's simple.

There IS plenty of area, usually seaward of the deckchair areas, for those who don't want the deck chairs.  The problem is, the deckchair mafia claims it as part of their "territory", and provide their own "enforcement" against those not buying!  Put a decisive, permanent stop to that, and the problem's solved. The deckchair operators cans till rent their chairs, and those not buying can begin enjoying the sand without being hassled.  This is EASY !   Well, for most of us...

17 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

So you think I should risk being physically assaulted every day? I'm 65 - being smacked around the head and kicked in the ribs is not my idea of fun.

You desperately need a reality check. FYI, the King has decreed that the beaches belong to the people - the idea being that they can go somewhere pleasant and relax on their days off - the fear of being beaten up by arrogant self-entitled scumbags is hardly pleasant and relaxing. 

I believe you are exaggerating. Or doing something provocative to have such fears. At our age a deck chair and beach umbrella is essential. If youcan't afford the 100 baht then you are in the wrong resort. Try not to be so angry- you'll do you self damage! Relax-in a deck chair.

3 hours ago, alofthailand said:

I believe you are exaggerating. Or doing something provocative to have such fears. At our age a deck chair and beach umbrella is essential. If youcan't afford the 100 baht then you are in the wrong resort. Try not to be so angry- you'll do you self damage! Relax-in a deck chair.

I don't go to Pattaya anymore but love the beach and deckchairs - and the food they supply on demand - at Bangsaen; my only problem is that the deckchairs are so "low slung" (and unadjustable) that at nearly 70 I can get in them OK but getting out can be a struggle. That usually means I put off the effort of getting out of the deckchair and keep sitting, eating and drinking for as long as possible!

Patrick

How anyone can sit on these dirty deckchairs?

Do you know on the evening, the deckchairs are put away against the tree. Do you know that late in the night, the drunk thai come have pee.

Do you know where they do pee? The deckchairs are completely impregnated with urine.... Its completely disgusting! 

The deckchairs should be banned from all thailand beach!

6 hours ago, alofthailand said:

Nope. There are several vids on Youtube about it - including one of a (Russian, I think) woman being assaulted by a Burmese employee of a deckchair operator. There is also plenty of anecdotal evidence of it. Provocative? How can I be provocative by sitting on my towel in the sand 50 feet away from the deckchairs? You're being nonsensical. Ditto your 100 baht remark. Clearly you're not familiar with the Pattaya beaches (or at least how they used to be). You should visit sometime - although these days you can sit on your towel 50 feet away from the deckchairs without being intimidated.  (BTW, just to give you some perspective, I've been here for 3 decades, so I'm effectively a local, not a tourist. And I'm not angry - just a runt who doesn't like having sand kicked in his face by the beach bully :) )

On 8/31/2016 at 10:34 AM, spidermike007 said:

While it is a decent concept, it would never happen. Pattaya is now part of many Chinese tours. It is easy to get to, relatively inexpensive for the tour operators to book rooms (as there are hundreds of hotels willing to discount their rooms substantially, as long as it is not public knowledge) and they can include:

"tour of the wild crazy sex workers zone"

"see how the Thai sex industry thrives"

"witness the lives of the Thai hookers"

"come and see hundreds of lady boys all dressed up"

"visit the morally depraved zones of Sin City"

Interesting view and you are right.

while I understand why Chinese tourist are interested in pattaya because of it's proximity and the fact that it is relatively inexpensive if traveled the way they do, i just don't understand the reason why Westerners STILL insist on this part of the world especially after it got so dirty, overcrowded, lack of beach and rats on it, angry Thais who look for any opportunity to scam tourists or beat them up to bloody pulp for minuscule reasons etc etc.

I mean, They have every right to do what they want but why complain so much in these forums and still insist on this city??

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 3:14 AM, The manic said:

So you don't think they provide a good service for those of us who cant fit a deck chair in our suitcases?   I like the beach vendors and the wide array of cheap services they provide. I cant stand whiny, whinging tourists who spoil it for the rest of us.  Please go home back to what ever vanilla tedious suburb you came from. Do us all a favour.

Oh, the old "if you don't think like I do, or allow Thais to scam you, you must leave Thailand immediately" script. Don't you guys EVER tire of repeating that? How often do you meet and rehearse that boring line? Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Reread what I posted, slower this time, so that reading comprehension will be your friend.

I just don't think,that I have to conform to some other farangs thoughts on something just because he said so. It's that easy. Just because he likes something, and he's entitled to his opinion, that doesn't give him the right to force me to conform to his beliefs. He has every right to belief what he wants. As do I.

So guess what? I'm not going to impose my beliefs on anyone else. I also won't allow Thais to scam me on a daily basis, no matter how much scamming foreigners is part of Thai culture. If you want to allow it, that is your right. Do whatever you want to do and trust me, if it doesn't affect me, I do not care one bit.

THAT is my point. Simple right? And BTW, your stereotype, as childish and simplistic as it is, couldn't be further from the truth. But nice try. Amateur, but nice try. Next time, maybe go for something original instead of being a sheep and following the crowd.

1 hour ago, pattayadude said:

Interesting view and you are right.

while I understand why Chinese tourist are interested in pattaya because of it's proximity and the fact that it is relatively inexpensive if traveled the way they do, i just don't understand the reason why Westerners STILL insist on this part of the world especially after it got so dirty, overcrowded, lack of beach and rats on it, angry Thais who look for any opportunity to scam tourists or beat them up to bloody pulp for minuscule reasons etc etc.

I mean, They have every right to do what they want but why complain so much in these forums and still insist on this city??

Frankly, the only appeal I see in the place, is the availability of a large selection of women for hire. Other than that, the place does not offer much from my point of view. Therefore I consider it to be a very one dimensional sort of town. I realize there are nicer beaches to the south, go kart tracks, good golf courses, etc. If someone is passionate about karting or golf, it has more to offer. But, for many of us, especially those of us who are not big drinkers, nor big supporters of the bar girls, there is simply little appeal to the place. 

Once you get out of town, to the east, there are some very scenic areas. But the town itself is quite ugly and the beaches are substandard, by almost any measurement. 

41 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Frankly, the only appeal I see in the place, is the availability of a large selection of women for hire. Other than that, the place does not offer much from my point of view. Therefore I consider it to be a very one dimensional sort of town. I realize there are nicer beaches to the south, go kart tracks, good golf courses, etc. If someone is passionate about karting or golf, it has more to offer. But, for many of us, especially those of us who are not big drinkers, nor big supporters of the bar girls, there is simply little appeal to the place. 

Once you get out of town, to the east, there are some very scenic areas. But the town itself is quite ugly and the beaches are substandard, by almost any measurement. 

agree!

On 8/31/2016 at 1:44 PM, johng said:

The chair vendors on Pattaya and Jomtien beaches pay  the local authority a yearly fee for the concession to operate,

Right... you are ignoring the fact that I question when you are quoting me. How exactly did the authorities choose them to be the ones to have the much desired spots?

On 9/1/2016 at 5:38 AM, tomwct said:

They need to post signs in Thai and English on the costs of the chairs.

Why ? Much better to overcharge if they can get away with it. Just simple Thai logic. 

Archived