Building a wall around property cost

gprit

A lot of old posts about costs, but does anyone have any up to date costs to build a wall around a plot of land?

It's approx 100 metres in total.....doesn't need to be fancy and I am looking at 'rule of thumb' figures, but obviosuly need's good foundations and would eb about 2 metres high.

Plot is about 75km south of LOEI.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should buy the materials yourself and get a price per meter for the labor. We had walls built around two different properties. The second time, the contractor came and needed more material. That was pretty fishy because we had experience from the first time. Sometime after the wall was completed he added on to his house, no doubt with material stolen from us.

3 hours ago, gprit said:

Thanks for that.......can I ask what sort of wall(s) these were?  How high?  Any thoughts what cost per metre labour should be (including foundations)?

How many metres to go around 1 rai??!

1 rai is 1600m2 or 40x40m . This means 160m of total length.

If standard breeze blocks , they are 40 by 20cm , so per m2 you need 12.5 blocks + cement .

Every few meters you need a concrete pole , they normaly cost between 500 and 1000 baht a piece ( depending on lenght and  width of it ) . As foundation , normally you would use a trench between the poles in which you make/pour reinforced concrete . , Normally you do the same on top of the wall but it can be saved out ( wouldn't save out on a 2m high one ). For finishing you can do nothing at all , just painting 1 or 2 sided , cement coating 1 or 2 sided , covering it with sandstone , tiles , etc etc ... what your desire and price .

Now , This is the basic wall , when the land inside is much higher then the land at the outside of the wall ( depending on how much , length of wall etc etc )  , then you need a complete different style ( read , much more expensive ) foundation since the pressure the ground puts on the existing wall .

14 hours ago, gprit said:

Thanks for that.......can I ask what sort of wall(s) these were?  How high?  Any thoughts what cost per metre labour should be (including foundations)?

How many metres to go around 1 rai??!

The posts for our wall were formed and poured with the dug foundation. The foundation and the posts were reinforced with rebar. The posts are spaced at 2.4 meters. The top of the wall has a reinforced cap about 15 CM thick. The wall is two meters high. We have a total of 320 meters in length. The  40 by 40 by 40 meters around the house is rendered and painted on both sides.  The rest of the wall is not rendered or painted. The 40 meter front is a retaining wall so it had a double wide foundation and double blocks with more rebar and concrete between the double blocks about a third of the way up. I think the contractor charged about 450 baht average per meter for labor.

The contractor will give you a price per meter and the bill of materials that are needed for a total price estimate. A two meter high block wall is not cheap.

43 minutes ago, BigFun said:

Lol a single rai is rarely a square 40 x 40...

It is just to give a idea , 1600m2 is 40x40  or 20x80 or whatever ... it is a rough figure good for counting rough amount of material to use .

250k for 200m2 looks very high nr counting basic material cost . You can do a lot of work yourself as it is not space science , and you do not need any special technique or material . Material is found even in the smallest of towns all over Thailand .  Again , this is for basic wall and not the one where land is raised inside vs outside . If you are somewhere on the islands , price will rise considerably due to importation from mainland and farang pricing structure ( something to look at everywhere ) .

13 hours ago, sezze said:

1 rai is 1600m2 or 40x40m . This means 160m of total length.

If standard breeze blocks , they are 40 by 20cm , so per m2 you need 12.5 blocks + cement .

Every few meters you need a concrete pole , they normaly cost between 500 and 1000 baht a piece ( depending on lenght and  width of it ) . As foundation , normally you would use a trench between the poles in which you make/pour reinforced concrete . , Normally you do the same on top of the wall but it can be saved out ( wouldn't save out on a 2m high one ). For finishing you can do nothing at all , just painting 1 or 2 sided , cement coating 1 or 2 sided , covering it with sandstone , tiles , etc etc ... what your desire and price .

Now , This is the basic wall , when the land inside is much higher then the land at the outside of the wall ( depending on how much , length of wall etc etc )  , then you need a complete different style ( read , much more expensive ) foundation since the pressure the ground puts on the existing wall .

500 to 1000 baht per post is way too much, one post 2.3m tall is 120 baht from our local builders merchants and that was 2 days ago as I had them delivered.

Buddy mate where ever your from get over the idea of being ripped off, you cant escape it, unless you stay hidden people will know about you, understand what its going to cost you in your own country then decide if you think the price is right...

So many farangs worry about a few bhat its ridiculous keep the buggers happy supervisor well other wise dont do anything if your on a budget pretty simple really....

58 minutes ago, bazza40 said:

The quotes seem very high. My Thai GF fenced her property near Chiang Rai in cement blocks about 1.5 metre high, 150 metres total for 35,000 baht about 2 years ago. Possibly the falang price is being quoted.

She did well, can't buy the materials for that and pay for the workers that price is impossible.

A cheaper option it's posts and barbed wire then plant a nice tree hedge all the way round in a year the wire will have gone from site and after a couple of years you will have a healthy green wall all around your land with the added bonus of bananas if you plant them within the hedge and mangos would also thrive and both would give the hedge a unique shape

1 hour ago, AlexRRR said:

Buddy mate where ever your from get over the idea of being ripped off, you cant escape it, unless you stay hidden people will know about you, understand what its going to cost you in your own country then decide if you think the price is right...

So many farangs worry about a few bhat its ridiculous keep the buggers happy supervisor well other wise dont do anything if your on a budget pretty simple really....

For sure the land is not his, TiT, not allowed unless Thai.

Same for me, so my wife has all discussion with contractors and they know about me but she will not accept inflated prices.

She simply rejects ripoff's and gets another quote.

Walking away is a powerful way of keeping inflation down!

Doing as you suggest only pushes prices up and eventually for Thai's as well so you will not be popular in the long run!

Just sayin....

3 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

A cheaper option it's posts and barbed wire then plant a nice tree hedge all the way round in a year the wire will have gone from site and after a couple of years you will have a healthy green wall all around your land with the added bonus of bananas if you plant them within the hedge and mangos would also thrive and both would give the hedge a unique shape

I kind of like this idea except for the barbed wire. It would be like living in a concentration camp for the first 5 years. Also, it wouldn't keep the dogs and chickens out.

11 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

Get out there and tell them yourself that if you don't like the price you will go else where.

Better than hiding behind the curtains. Now that would make you known about. Funny too.

10 hours ago, Hutch68 said:

She did well, can't buy the materials for that and pay for the workers that price is impossible.

This is a village way out in the sticks. One of the guys who built it is a neighbour, quite a skilled artisan. My GF was paying him 250 baht a day, and he worked from dawn to dusk. Not all Thais fit the lazy stereotype. Maybe it looks impossible, but that's what she says she paid.

She also had dump trucks come in with soil from the rice fields to make a large vegetable garden. Many of her neighbours get free vegetables now. From memory, it was about 40 trucks with 3 cubic metres of soil each. 180 baht per truck, total 7200 baht.

7 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

I kind of like this idea except for the barbed wire. It would be like living in a concentration camp for the first 5 years. Also, it wouldn't keep the dogs and chickens out.

Hedging grows fast here, the main issue with a green wall is keeping it in check.

Bougainvillea is very popular, has nice flowers and can be trained to be very dense, most varieties have thorns making it impenetrable.

BUT it grows very fast, you'll need a man and a petrol hedge trimmer.

4 hours ago, Naam said:

shape does not matter as long the borders are straight, i.e. enclosing 1 rai = 160m.

Of course it makes a difference... it's only 160m if its a 40x40 square.

if it's 80x20 then it'll need 200m.

if it's 160x10 - 344m

...and if it's a long skinny 1600 x 1 it'll need over 3 km....

13 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

Trust me after the first year it could not be seen, but thinking back now I would have used normal wire. As for dogs and chickens that's easy solved the blue netting  got ours 4 ft high all found fixed with the thin wire. Worked a treat. Put it in position before planting no need to work about taking it down ect hidden again by shrubs used lots of Bougainvillea and uoung Bannatyne trees which after one year are between 5 to 6 foot already and the Bougainvillea

Is growing very fast and thick will give it another year then start pruning.

5 hours ago, steve73 said:

Of course it makes a difference... it's only 160m if its a 40x40 square.

if it's 80x20 then it'll need 200m.

if it's 160x10 - 344m

...and if it's a long skinny 1600 x 1 it'll need over 3 km....

Bloody hell your right.

On 02/09/2016 at 0:29 PM, Doc46 said:

100 meters x 2 meters high with foundation and cement blocks ,plastered 2 sides that will cost you at least THB 250.000

At 250.000 you would be paying 4 workers about 47.000 each per month we pay ours 10.000 per month you are getting skanked...... the materials came in at around 55.000 the rebar we bought from  a company that makes the tall posts for electric and so on and I forget the price now. Ours was built by the father in law and his team for 100.000 when his team have no work they work making the small posts and blocks so knows the price, if you pay more your getting done over if you can get it for less you have done well but at a price of 35.000 that works out at 109 baht per sqm is totaly impossible.

28 minutes ago, Hutch68 said:

At 250.000 you would be paying 4 workers about 47.000 each per month we pay ours 10.000 per month you are getting skanked...... the materials came in at around 55.000 the rebar we bought from  a company that makes the tall posts for electric and so on and I forget the price now. Ours was built by the father in law and his team for 100.000 when his team have no work they work making the small posts and blocks so knows the price, if you pay more your getting done over if you can get it for less you have done well but at a price of 35.000 that works out at 109 baht per sqm is totaly impossible.

I think the 250,000 baht estimate for 100 meters is far closer than your 47,000 baht MONTHLY labor estimate. How do you come up with a monthly labor estimate? I don't remember the cost of our materials but the material was far more expensive than the labor. A year or so ago, I saw about a forty meter wall built with cheap labor fall over. You get what you pay for. My friends here were making bets about how long the wall would stand up. The first hard rain, the whole wall fell over.  My "expensive" built wall is still standing. It has a few cracks but not many. The 40 meter retaining portion has no cracks. If you knew my Thai wife, you would know for sure that she doesn't pay more than a reasonable rate. One post that quoted 35,000 baht would NOT pay for the material.

Archived