BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
gprit

Building a wall around property cost

On 9/7/2016 at 2:43 PM, gprit said:

Thanks for all the information - will work my way through shortly.  Couple of additional questions:

1) Which is best?  Preformed posts or ones hand built with wire/cement - bearing in mind the land is nearly 1m higher than neighbours. Any cost comparison?

2) Any thoughts on how much the foundations would cost, given the above.

3) Any thoughts on cement/sand costs for the 100m wall.

thanks

btw I am based in Uk, the wall is for my wife's parents prior to building a house.

I wouldn't bother with so much detail for a simple wall. Allow 1000 Baht/metre all in and let them get on with it.

By the way it seems odd to build the wall before the house. It will get in the way when building materials are delivered.

Not hi so in the slightest. Just a top tradesman in my own country.

I say as it is, poor quality workers, not saying lazy, just stupid in the extreme and unskilled.

I pay 250 baht as thats all the labourers are worth. You get what your worth in life. I paid one that showed a bit of nouse 400 as i taught

him how to lay a few properly.

Just a further question - I think most of the replies have been for building a wall with breezeblock (and maybe a render each side)....and concensus is around 1000/1250baht per metre all in, including foundations.

For the same 100 meter wall - any 'rule of thumb' cost for a BRICK built wall and pillars?  What is the standard brick size in Thailand?  How many bricks need per sq. meter?

Also.....no one has mentioned damp proof course  (DPC) here......is this available in Thailand? (remmeber I am in UK and this is for my parents in law....).   Wall is for side and back...keeping the front open for lorries/builders etc.

thanks

Edited by gprit

On 09/09/2016 at 11:23 PM, manxninja said:

Not hi so in the slightest. Just a top tradesman in my own country.

I say as it is, poor quality workers, not saying lazy, just stupid in the extreme and unskilled.

I pay 250 baht as thats all the labourers are worth. You get what your worth in life. I paid one that showed a bit of nouse 400 as i taught

him how to lay a few properly.

Top tradesman in your own mind  I expect. If you only pay 250 I'm not suprised no one wants to do the job properly. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Top tradesman in your own mind  I expect. If you only pay 250 I'm not suprised no one wants to do the job properly. 

Yes dear. 

Carry on on being the family atm.

i will carry on earning £1200 a week in London, being a bad tradesman. ?

3 hours ago, manxninja said:

Yes dear. 

Carry on on being the family atm.

i will carry on earning £1200 a week in London, being a bad tradesman. ?

In your own mind dear farewell

• Like 1

We seem to have gone off track here with some banal comments.

The last question was:

I think most of the replies have been for building a wall with breezeblock (and maybe a render each side)....and concensus is around 1000/1250baht per metre all in, including foundations.

For the same 100 meter wall - any 'rule of thumb' cost for a BRICK built wall and pillars?  What is the standard brick size in Thailand?  How many bricks need per sq. meter?

Also.....no one has mentioned damp proof course  (DPC) here......is this available in Thailand? (remember I am in UK and this is for my parents in law....).   Wall is for side and back...keeping the front open for lorries/builders etc.

thanks

Don't need a dpc for a garden wall. But I couldn't find any what you would call bricks in any builders merchant, they were just those red

strange rex looking things, certainly not what id call a brick.

You will see gaps at the side of the blockwork, where lots use the concrete post system. 

They will probably want that, as that's how you build walls in Thailand, apparently. Good luck with the project.

As for paying 100,000 baht for a 100 metre wall. I did it with local labour for approx 35,000 Buy your own materials, use the locals for the

hand digging and manual labour, that doesn't take any brainwork and get 1 skilled man to oversee it.

I would suggest that you check your figures. That 35,000 baht would barely cover the labor. It certainly would not cover the materials.

• Like 1

Dont need to check the figures, been there done it about 4 months ago.

My figures are correct, self build with a few manual labourers on minimum wage.

44 minutes ago, manxninja said:

Dont need to check the figures, been there done it about 4 months ago.

My figures are correct, self build with a few manual labourers on minimum wage.

You should hire out and make a lot of money building walls.

Around my area the standard labour cost asked is  1000Bht per  each 3 metre span between posts at a height average of 2 > 2.2 metres. And  most are not built well because the  foundation is rarely  put below all surrounding ground. So if you  backfill to level or raise there is a high probability it will gradually leach under to the neighbours. The posts are usually set on soil and not tied or incorporated into the foundation or set deep enough. It  might seem extreme but the posts should  be set into  original soil at adepth  not less than  25 % of the  eventual finished height from the  foundation and set on and surrounded with concrete. On sloping ground  ties set underground as part of the foundation are a wise idea if  all backfilling is likely to add  pressure.

I have  had about 75 metres of wall built under  my supervision and refused the 1000bht. Instead I paid workers  350 Bht per day.

The  75 metres cost me 178000 in total . And that included a continuous steel rod set  along  evry  3rd row of blocks passing through  each post.  Each 3rd row  of blocks wth the  steel rod was set upside down and  fully filled  with  concrete including the  top row.

A truck  could   hit that wall and it is unlikely  to fall down .

But.... I regret  building a wall  now. The near ground air flow is  massively reduced and  now I would consider a  partial  wall with steel  hexagonal mesh inserts.

Best luck to you  for  your outcome. :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Around my area the standard labour cost asked is  1000Bht per  each 3 metre span between posts at a height average of 2 > 2.2 metres. And  most are not built well because the  foundation is rarely  put below all surrounding ground. So if you  backfill to level or raise there is a high probability it will gradually leach under to the neighbours. The posts are usually set on soil and not tied or incorporated into the foundation or set deep enough. It  might seem extreme but the posts should  be set into  original soil at adepth  not less than  25 % of the  eventual finished height from the  foundation and set on and surrounded with concrete. On sloping ground  ties set underground as part of the foundation are a wise idea if  all backfilling is likely to add  pressure.

I have  had about 75 metres of wall built under  my supervision and refused the 1000bht. Instead I paid workers  350 Bht per day.

The  75 metres cost me 178000 in total . And that included a continuous steel rod set  along  evry  3rd row of blocks passing through  each post.  Each 3rd row  of blocks wth the  steel rod was set upside down and  fully filled  with  concrete including the  top row.

A truck  could   hit that wall and it is unlikely  to fall down .

But.... I regret  building a wall  now. The near ground air flow is  massively reduced and  now I would consider a  partial  wall with steel  hexagonal mesh inserts.

Best luck to you  for  your outcome.

Probably the best post on this thread yet, a tall wall around one rai will trap the heat in and reflect the sun and burn your arse off, buy a gun.

• Like 1

Very nice ppl  (a family) are now building the wall around our land ( 1.2  rai) here near Pho Thale, I pay then 65000 baht for everything, except the material we buy ourself, the ppl who built dont do difficult about some extra work and they do an excellent job sofar.

Ive been quoted 1,000 baht per m @ 2m high plus material. 

Total length of the wall is 173m

This is in Saraburi.

Does it sound right?