Building a wall around property cost

gprit

On 01.09.2016 at 5:57 AM, Gary A said:

You should buy the materials yourself and get a price per meter for the labor. We had walls built around two different properties. The second time, the contractor came and needed more material. That was pretty fishy because we had experience from the first time. Sometime after the wall was completed he added on to his house, no doubt with material stolen from us.

in real estate (or construction issues etc)....be it with Thai's or farangs, you just always...always need to be around them...and never...never to fully trust them!....this is the first rule of the thumb!!......

this is no more the usual thai vs farang bashing issue....this is real estate/construction guy vs home owner!!...

Thai's also get ripped off and naturally a farang will get scamed too, but with the farang double pricing rate!

if possible, use your Thai wife/GF/LongTime/Inhousemaid to negotiate in Thai for the price....and remain invisible until the price is fully fixed...:cheesy:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, misterphil said:

Ive been quoted 1,000 baht per m @ 2m high plus material. 

Total length of the wall is 173m

This is in Saraburi.

Does it sound right?

It's been a number of years since we walled in two properties and there has been inflation. Even at that, we paid 400 baht per meter. I doubt the price has more than doubled.

ADDED - I should also say that price did not include rendering or painting. We didn't have the wall rendered or painted.

I see this old chestnut has resurfaced...

When comparing prices you need to ask: how high are the walls, how deep the foundations, how frequent the posts...etc...is it rendered or painted on either side. Significantly, is the ground the same level on both sides. 

A 2m high unfinished block wall with 5m post spacings will be significantly cheaper than a painted/finished 2m high wall on 2m post spacings with 1.5m deep foundations, supporting 0.5m of uneven ground.   Probably around 4-5x, or even more... 

Do you want razor wire on-top & guard towers at the corners....?

I had quotes that varied by 3x for a simple 1m high barbed wire fencing on precast concrete posts.....

A reasonably good "rule-of-thumb" for any building work in Thailand is that labour will be approximately equal to the cost of materials.... but bear in mind this is just a finger in the air starting point..

5 hours ago, steve73 said:

I see this old chestnut has resurfaced...

When comparing prices you need to ask: how high are the walls, how deep the foundations, how frequent the posts...etc...is it rendered or painted on either side. Significantly, is the ground the same level on both sides. 

A 2m high unfinished block wall with 5m post spacings will be significantly cheaper than a painted/finished 2m high wall on 2m post spacings with 1.5m deep foundations, supporting 0.5m of uneven ground.   Probably around 4-5x, or even more... 

Do you want razor wire on-top & guard towers at the corners....?

I had quotes that varied by 3x for a simple 1m high barbed wire fencing on precast concrete posts.....

A reasonably good "rule-of-thumb" for any building work in Thailand is that labour will be approximately equal to the cost of materials.... but bear in mind this is just a finger in the air starting point..

Razor wire and guard towers is where I work. I dont want them at my home lol

IMG_9400.JPG

14 hours ago, bill59 said:

I just completed a concrete block wall around my property in Thailand which is pretty large. It cost about $6000 US. Came out very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

How many meters?

Any photos to share?

• 11 months later...

I know this is an old post, but has anyone had a wall built recently and willing to give cost detail?

I notice in the old posts, many provide no information on number of workers, how many hours worked, how fast the work was performed, etc. Can't understand the true relative costs without info like that. 

Thanks 

On 9/2/2016 at 10:02 PM, laislica said:

For sure the land is not his, TiT, not allowed unless Thai.

Same for me, so my wife has all discussion with contractors and they know about me but she will not accept inflated prices.

She simply rejects ripoff's and gets another quote.

Walking away is a powerful way of keeping inflation down!

Doing as you suggest only pushes prices up and eventually for Thai's as well so you will not be popular in the long run!

Just sayin....

+1 My better half does all the negotiating and she too knows what the going rate is. If the quote is too high, we simply walk away and look for a new contractor. There are a lot of honest ones who are happy to do the work at the going rate, get paid fair and square. Those are the ones who get the work in the long run. 

7 hours ago, AntDee said:

I know this is an old post, but has anyone had a wall built recently and willing to give cost detail?

I notice in the old posts, many provide no information on number of workers, how many hours worked, how fast the work was performed, etc. Can't understand the true relative costs without info like that. 

Thanks 

If you start paying by workers per day the job would take forever and cost a fortune. An experienced builder will quote a price and time frame. It's upto  them to supervise their staff. 

3 hours ago, baansgr said:

If you start paying by workers per day the job would take forever and cost a fortune. An experienced builder will quote a price and time frame. It's upto  them to supervise their staff. 

What I'm saying is that these variables can affect the price. When someone says "how much does/did it cost?", having some understanding of these things allows for more precise understanding of costs. 

Dimensions of wall, materials used, speed to build, builder contracted for other work from same buyer (volume discount), ect. These are all variables to understand. 

1 hour ago, AntDee said:

What I'm saying is that these variables can affect the price. When someone says "how much does/did it cost?", having some understanding of these things allows for more precise understanding of costs. 

Dimensions of wall, materials used, speed to build, builder contracted for other work from same buyer (volume discount), ect. These are all variables to understand. 

For me was myself and two other guys,  took I think 18 full days work.  That was a 1.5 metre high block wall rendered one side on just short of half Rai.  Materials bought , Rebar caging made ourselfes, footings  1 metre.  Posts at 4 metre spaceing made with Rebar  and plywood casings filled ouselfes.  All cement hand mixed.  Not sure but think was 250 and 350 for the guys so 600 labour a day, I worked for free as mine.  Total cost 70.000 all in give or take a few thousand. Hope that helps you understand.

Footings done by digger so saved a few days and that was included in the 70k

4 hours ago, baansgr said:

rendered one side on just short of half Rai........whats not to understand?

a Rai is a measure of area. the length of a wall cannot be expressed in "one side short of half a Rai".

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2016 at 1:43 AM, whaleboneman said:

I kind of like this idea except for the barbed wire. It would be like living in a concentration camp for the first 5 years. Also, it wouldn't keep the dogs and chickens out.

So make it chain link

On 9/3/2016 at 9:08 AM, Naam said:

shape does not matter as long the borders are straight, i.e. enclosing 1 rai = 160m.

No. Perimeter is calculated by adding up all 4 sides. P=2(L+W). If rectangular.

A 20 x 800 lot would be 200 metres.

Im rather suprised you would make this mistake.

17 hours ago, HooHaa said:

No. Perimeter is calculated by adding up all 4 sides. P=2(L+W). If rectangular.

i am checking whether people are alert. look at my posting of TWO YEARS AGO. :smile:

• 3 months later...
On 9/3/2016 at 7:43 AM, bazza40 said:

This is a village way out in the sticks. One of the guys who built it is a neighbour, quite a skilled artisan. My GF was paying him 250 baht a day, and he worked from dawn to dusk. Not all Thais fit the lazy stereotype. Maybe it looks impossible, but that's what she says she paid.

She also had dump trucks come in with soil from the rice fields to make a large vegetable garden. Many of her neighbours get free vegetables now. From memory, it was about 40 trucks with 3 cubic metres of soil each. 180 baht per truck, total 7200 baht.

250 a day? Are you sure that's all she's been paying this hard working young buck bazza?

• 5 months later...

I am curious about walls as I might go to Mexico (Joking),,,,,,,,Can one of you experts tall me........A non supporting 1.8m high perimeter wall cost say 2500 per meter what percentage of that 2,000 Baht is for the foundation?

Secondly if the ground is strong how deep should the posts and foundation be? 

The reason I ask is I am not sure what height the missus will decide on 1.8 meters or 1m high

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2016 at 11:29 AM, Doc46 said:

100 meters x 2 meters high with foundation and cement blocks ,plastered 2 sides that will cost you at least THB 250.000

My local builder, builds the walls in the traditional way at 1000 Baht per running meter for a 2 metre high wall at todays prices.  Now that is much the same cost in our area as others and as I say traditionally built. That is to say 50% of all Thai walls are no longer upright after 10 years , 45 % never even make 5 years before they lean and in 5 % of the cases pure luck or proper foundations were done.

So when I asked him to build my wall to my design he , being Thai, thought he knew best and attempted to talk me out of it and build it his normal way as it would be cheaper and "we always do it like that" attitude.  So I gave him a choice do properly my way or I will find someone else who will. Gladly he accepted ( not sure why he even argued about it really as it was money in his pocket.) That wall of mine is still perfectly upright after 16 years.  Yes you can get it for 1000 baht a meter but if you want it built properly so it still looks good after 15/20 years be prepared to pay more. By the way the 50 % extra cost was not for the above ground works, it was all for foundations.

So Doc46 you are not far out when you say the cost ( averaged) is 2500 baht or per meter. Depending on the soil conditions I would allow 3000 baht per metre for a good build. Even then you need to stay on top of them to make sure they build it to spec.

On 6/15/2018 at 8:44 PM, HooHaa said:

20 x 800 would be 10 Rai... Which would require a lot more than 200m wall to enclose the perimeter !!

I am rather surprised you would make this mistake...

51 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

20 x 800 would be 10 Rai... Which would require a lot more than 200m wall to enclose the perimeter !!

I am rather surprised you would make this mistake...

You are replying to a year old post that was itself replying to a (then) 2 year old post.  Mathematics was different back then...

On 4/27/2019 at 8:25 AM, geoffbezoz said:

My local builder, builds the walls in the traditional way at 1000 Baht per running meter for a 2 metre high wall at todays prices.  Now that is much the same cost in our area as others and as I say traditionally built. That is to say 50% of all Thai walls are no longer upright after 10 years , 45 % never even make 5 years before they lean and in 5 % of the cases pure luck or proper foundations were done.

So when I asked him to build my wall to my design he , being Thai, thought he knew best and attempted to talk me out of it and build it his normal way as it would be cheaper and "we always do it like that" attitude.  So I gave him a choice do properly my way or I will find someone else who will. Gladly he accepted ( not sure why he even argued about it really as it was money in his pocket.) That wall of mine is still perfectly upright after 16 years.  Yes you can get it for 1000 baht a meter but if you want it built properly so it still looks good after 15/20 years be prepared to pay more. By the way the 50 % extra cost was not for the above ground works, it was all for foundations.

So Doc46 you are not far out when you say the cost ( averaged) is 2500 baht or per meter. Depending on the soil conditions I would allow 3000 baht per metre for a good build. Even then you need to stay on top of them to make sure they build it to spec.

3000 Baht Are you putting a roof on it? LOL

Archived