The Simplicity of Weight Loss

VincentRJ

3 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

As I said the Young know it all.my moderate friends have no prob.up to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

As I said.. there is no science to back your claims up.. you point to exercise.. while this has never been proven. Been looking for reports on this (yea I like to see if things exist). No reports ever about sports leading to metabolic damage (unless you restrict calories a lot too) but even then it will return to normal. So I think you will have to blame something else as sports. 

Maybe its just in your perception. Anyway if you got some research that can back up your claims we can discuss it. For now I will take your word for it that you have  problems but I wont link it to sports. I will link your joints to sports. there is plenty of scientific evidence about that.  Your other claim.. sorry I wont believe. 

As a side question why do (some) of the old think that by just surviving the odds they are smarter and reserve special privileges.  I base my respect not on age but on degrees and accomplishments.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The length of this thread says it's not simple and the science isn't clear. Much of the science that has been denied for decades is now slowly being accepted by those who like the shame the fat people. No one is the same and some people don't have to do anything to be thin. They have no hunger or cravings for food and what they might think of as cravings are nothing in comparison to the cravings others face and the effects eating have on others. We are still in the dark about solving this and one reason for that is there are those who work or have power in the health and science fields who have been willing to hide the truth for the sake of business.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/09/sugar-industry-bought-off-scientists-skewed-dietary-guidelines-for-decades/

4 hours ago, Alive said:

The length of this thread says it's not simple and the science isn't clear. Much of the science that has been denied for decades is now slowly being accepted by those who like the shame the fat people. No one is the same and some people don't have to do anything to be thin. They have no hunger or cravings for food and what they might think of as cravings are nothing in comparison to the cravings others face and the effects eating have on others. We are still in the dark about solving this and one reason for that is there are those who work or have power in the health and science fields who have been willing to hide the truth for the sake of business.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/09/sugar-industry-bought-off-scientists-skewed-dietary-guidelines-for-decades/

Oh No!  Just shocking!  The next thing you know someone will be exposing the fallacy of letting industries self-regulate.  :cheesy:

21 hours ago, Alive said:

Your right about that but i still stand by my opinion that everyone can get to a reasonable weight if they are willing to change their lifestyle (mainly food wise). Nobody needs to be really obese.. we can't all be slim but most people could lose quite a bit of weight by giving up drinking or foods. Some people seem to think that because someone else can drink and be thin they should be too and just wont change. 

But I also convinced that this new research is often used to say.. see.. its not my fault .. i dont have to do anything i cant change anything.. now let me drink my 2 liters of coca cola. 

I am convinced all this new research is leading somewhere.  Telling people over and over the same old lies won't ever make them true.   Simplistic and idiotic ideas about weight and weight loss are how we got into this mess.   If we definitely know more we can do more.     I don't think many people would use all this new research to just completely ignore the problem.  If that was true then no field would ever progress or solve any problem at all.   I have no idea why you think anyone would use this research to avoid their own obesity.  No research study I have read or watched a presentation of on youtube ever ended with..."SO EAT UP FAT SLOBS IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT AND THERE IS NOTHING WE CAN DO!" 

I think knowing that food processors are producing addictive food is a good thing not a bad thing.  We can't treat problems if we don't know they exist.

Myself I am very interested in the Keto diet, fasting, and HIIT.  I didn't know anything at all about these subjects before I joined this forum.  I am sorry the poster that was advocated fasting didn't bother to do any google searches or provide any studies.   There are several doctors working in this field and several researchers doing human trials.  When he claimed there were not I knew he was mentally lazy and full of IT.

I was 100% sure the eat less and move more people were totally full of shit!  I am glad really competent capable irrefutable research says so!   It is amazing how many people on here either don't ever look at the links or just start arguing.   Or feel no matter how good or detailed or intensive the research is that has been conducted and is being presented, it doesn't trump their opinion which is backed up by nothing.

I am saying this because I enjoy the spirit of inquiry.  I think I am learning a lot on here.  I hope others are enjoying it and taking away new thoughts.  If you don't have new thoughts...then I wonder ...

6 hours ago, dontoearth said:

I am convinced all this new research is leading somewhere.  Telling people over and over the same old lies won't ever make them true.   Simplistic and idiotic ideas about weight and weight loss are how we got into this mess.   If we definitely know more we can do more.     I don't think many people would use all this new research to just completely ignore the problem.  If that was true then no field would ever progress or solve any problem at all.   I have no idea why you think anyone would use this research to avoid their own obesity.  No research study I have read or watched a presentation of on youtube ever ended with..."SO EAT UP FAT SLOBS IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT AND THERE IS NOTHING WE CAN DO!" 

I think knowing that food processors are producing addictive food is a good thing not a bad thing.  We can't treat problems if we don't know they exist.

Myself I am very interested in the Keto diet, fasting, and HIIT.  I didn't know anything at all about these subjects before I joined this forum.  I am sorry the poster that was advocated fasting didn't bother to do any google searches or provide any studies.   There are several doctors working in this field and several researchers doing human trials.  When he claimed there were not I knew he was mentally lazy and full of IT.

I was 100% sure the eat less and move more people were totally full of shit!  I am glad really competent capable irrefutable research says so!   It is amazing how many people on here either don't ever look at the links or just start arguing.   Or feel no matter how good or detailed or intensive the research is that has been conducted and is being presented, it doesn't trump their opinion which is backed up by nothing.

I am saying this because I enjoy the spirit of inquiry.  I think I am learning a lot on here.  I hope others are enjoying it and taking away new thoughts.  If you don't have new thoughts...then I wonder ...

No need for new gimmick.

Eat Less.  Move Mor

i have never met anyone dedicated to exercise who stays obese.

Everyone keeps looking for the shortcut but the reason they are fat is from being lazy.

Sad but true.

One thing I've noticed watching a lot of videos on the net and from meeting a few people is that a lot of amazingly fit people for a lot of their lives end up getting diabetes or always had it. I wonder how many diabetic athletes there are. Weight gain and loss is very much connected to insulin in your system. Without it, you get thin quick. Why does insulin have to be diabetic or not. There have to be different levels of insulin release and this has to be affecting the fit people as much as the fat. Those who exercise with insulin lacking to an extent would probably be thinner than normal as would the opposite case of someone with quick and easy insulin release. I remember watching BBc about a footballer who got diabetes after a life of prime fitness. I know of people who have gotten diabetes despite being totally fit. There is also a LCHF guy who was on Runner's World Magazine a few times but eventually had weight issues and I think was pre-diabetic despite running his whole life. Well, anyway, I just want to add this point to the general everything isn't what is seems list.

59 minutes ago, Alive said:

One thing I've noticed watching a lot of videos on the net and from meeting a few people is that a lot of amazingly fit people for a lot of their lives end up getting diabetes or always had it. I wonder how many diabetic athletes there are. Weight gain and loss is very much connected to insulin in your system. Without it, you get thin quick. Why does insulin have to be diabetic or not. There have to be different levels of insulin release and this has to be affecting the fit people as much as the fat. Those who exercise with insulin lacking to an extent would probably be thinner than normal as would the opposite case of someone with quick and easy insulin release. I remember watching BBc about a footballer who got diabetes after a life of prime fitness. I know of people who have gotten diabetes despite being totally fit. There is also a LCHF guy who was on Runner's World Magazine a few times but eventually had weight issues and I think was pre-diabetic despite running his whole life. Well, anyway, I just want to add this point to the general everything isn't what is seems list.

I did a simple blood test.. but even when I was fit and exercising a lot I still made the mistake to eat too large portions of carbs in one setting. A healthy life can't always compensate for bad food habits. When I did my first blood test my blood sugar was ok but not super good even though I was active and working out a lot. I changed the amounts of carbs per meal and my next blood test showed a huge improvement in my glucose levels. 

Point being you can be super active.. exercising a lot (it all helps with insulin) but still wreck it by eating wrong. Then again.. there will always be exceptions to any rule. 

1 hour ago, Alive said:

I don't know where you are reading such things but fit people are not having trouble with diabetes. I am assuming you are tslking about Type-II.

Overweight people are having a problem with diabetes. 

I have a grandson in Nebraska who plays HS football and he is a very large young man and started getting FAT. He got diabetes at 16 but went on a stringent diet and exercise and lost all the extra weight and no longer has diabetes. (I could wring his folks' necks for letting him get fat.)

i don't know why you are hearing about diabetes in fit people except maybe for the same reason people bring up Frank Short the runner who died of a heart attack. People hear the odd story that opposes the trend and so they seize on it to try and disprove the common knowledge. 

Don't fall for that stuff.

8 hours ago, dontoearth said:

In the end its still eating less (or other stuff) and moving more.. Its just a refining of what we know. But its great to know about things like insulin resistance so one can check if one is insulin resistant and then change his or her diet accordingly.  (exercise helps with insulin problems)

Its great to know about leptin and to work with it , these thinks make it easier to lose weight. However it still needs changes in how much or what you eat. Also you should look at countering research too.. all those sites you post from show one side of the coin. Kinda like supplement researchers quoting only what they want the public to know and ignoring research that shows otherwise.

Also those influences stated are not huge.. (except insulin resistance that is a huge one) Yes all those things will help but its not like they instantly change how much you burn for 20%.. (wish it was like this). If you look at the research and counter research the differences are not as huge as we would like them to be. 

I have been reading peer reviewed research for ages and seen plenty of conflicting studies and have been reading the site of Lyle Mc Donald where he shows the error of some research and how it can go wrong. Point being your Guru's and their sites are also selling their product just like the food manufacturers and leave out information too. I read about KETO long ago.. thought.. wow perfect this is it.. started doing it.. hmmm its not really working as advertised (had keto strips was in ketose). One still needed to eat less to lose fat. 

I believe all this information is great and should be used but I believe the actual influence is often far less than stated. Just think some of the most illigal and harsh drugs to help weight loss only help you burn an extra 10% combined maybe 20% per day.. with side effects.. and then some simple changes in food would do the same.. its not logical. 

6 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

I don't know where you are reading such things but fit people are not having trouble with diabetes. I am assuming you are tslking about Type-II.

Overweight people are having a problem with diabetes. 

I have a grandson in Nebraska who plays HS football and he is a very large young man and started getting FAT. He got diabetes at 16 but went on a stringent diet and exercise and lost all the extra weight and no longer has diabetes. (I could wring his folks' necks for letting him get fat.)

i don't know why you are hearing about diabetes in fit people except maybe for the same reason people bring up Frank Short the runner who died of a heart attack. People hear the odd story that opposes the trend and so they seize on it to try and disprove the common knowledge. 

Don't fall for that stuff.

Yes its the same argument smokers use.. finding the odd non smoker getting lung cancer and then stating.. look its not smoking. 

@robblock

I didn't see anything for sale at NIH website.  National Institute of Health    I did see all the books at the Lyle McDonald site.   I just could not get enough information on Lyle McDonald to take him seriously.  Where did he complete his advanced degrees?  What qualified him to critique research?  Can you supply a bio somewhere?  He seemed like the typical hucksters that have preyed off the body building and exercise community for years. 

6 minutes ago, dontoearth said:

@robblock

I didn't see anything for sale at NIH website.  National Institute of Health    I did see all the books at the Lyle McDonald site.   I just could not get enough information on Lyle McDonald to take him seriously.  Where did he complete his advanced degrees?  What qualified him to critique research?  Can you supply a bio somewhere?  He seemed like the typical hucksters that have preyed off the body building and exercise community for years. 

He is one of the well respected people around just google his name and you will see. The guy is real smart and studies ALL the research that comes out. Same like Alan Aragaon. Your friends like DR Fong sell books and stuff too while lyle does not sell his theories.. just explains the research. If you go through the articles you can learn a lot. I have bought a few of his books. On the site in articles there is much the same information, but not organised the same. Then on his forum you can ask questions.

Your totally wrong about him.. but if you want to compare him with the idiots that sell 10 week abb diets and so on be my guest your missing out on loads of good research. You have yet to learn the difference between guys like him and others. I wonder how much experience you have reading this stuff and how long you have been busy with it. Me I been reading research for the last 20 years and seen the kind of guys you describe come and go. They usually write for magazines and need to write new content. Making crazy programs each week.. (and it has to be new) so they are constantly finding stuff that sounds new and promises a lot.

However there are a few guys out there in the exercise community who attack those guys and write good stuff. Lyle Mc Donald is one of those guys. Mike Mathews is an other one (less famous) he wrote the book bigger Leaner stronger and exactly words what I have learned in my years. The basics like.. do compound exercises.. and like most supplements are useless. ect. 

The fact that you needed a personal trainer does show me you still have not found your way around exercises and food. But someone like me who once was a personal trainer and has been keeping up with things for years has learned a thing or two in the past. 

I will look at his site again but raise my original questions about qualifications.    I am not sure you are looking at links I put up at all.  Most go to medical doctors and long term studies not any to  "magazines".  that I can remember unless it is a review of a larger study or studies with a theme that helps you find the original research.

I have a high basis toward research since I completed a doctorate at age 44. 

I use a trainer to help with form and safety.  I am 60 and can afford it and don't want to sideline myself with an injury.  Is there something wrong with going to a professional?   I took an early retirement and my first year goal is to reduce blood pressure and cholesterol to a level that does not require medication.   I am committed to doing this with exercise and diet.  I am not trying to nor do I want to do be a body builder.    Checked out all this stuff in my youth.  I found it too extreme.  Found people far out in the field were really very unhealthy.  It was not what I was looking for in life.

I do try to click the links and read everything someone puts up for review.  You will even find I gave an apology when I got lost and didn't check out a source before making a comment.

I don't think anyone has the perfect answers on food yet.  If so we would all be eating soylent green.  :D

And peace!  I am not attacking you just because I don't think one of your sources is very professional. 

I don't feel you have looked at Fung.   He is not selling books.  He has written one.  He didn't have a website where he sells books.  He does have a book on amazon.

I will look over McDonald again.  Did you find his qualifications anywhere?  I did see he sold books on his site directly. 

I wrote previously that I would leave the discussion because it appeared I was inflaming certain people, which was not my intention, so I hope the following comments are taken merely as objective and logical observations, or deductions.

My basic premise from the very first post is that the fundamental cause of obesity, or any degree of overweightedness, is eating too much in relation to the requirements of one's own body.

Since we are all different to some degree, in height, bone structure, metabolism, and a million other factors, including the nature of our regular activities throughout the day, which might include for some people  periods of heavy exercise in the gym, extensive jogging, and for others very little exercise at all, it follows that the amount of food required to support any individual's activities and natural bodily functions will vary.

If a person is a couch potato but eats as much as her twin sister who jogs regularly, then it would not be surprising if the couch potato were overweight.
One could argue that the reason the couch potato is overweight is because she doesn't exercise enough, but that is only half the story. More fundamentally or more precisely, the reason the couch potato is overweight is because she is eating too much in relation to the energy requirements of her life-style.

Perhaps she doesn't want to change her life-style. Perhaps she hates jogging. So what's the solution? Simply eat less.

Now, one can claim that eating less is not simple because of uncontrollable desire for food.
However, my claim is that the solution really is simple and effective. It is the implementation of that simple solution which can be a problem for some. I recognise that, but I also observe, from my own experience, that people who find it too difficult to eat less, will tend to accept all sorts of excuses , and even accept advice that eating less is dangerous, and will tend to get into a state of denial about that fundamental principle that eating too much is the initial, fundamental cause of their obesity.

If a person is an overweight  couch potato, one could argue that exercising more whilst continuing to eat the same amount of food, might be a healthier solution than simply eating less in order to gradually become a lighter-weight couch potato.  I would tend to agree with that proposition.

However, there are alternative approaches, such as eating less but also eating more nutritious food. And instead of vigorous exercise like jogging and/or lifting weights in a gym, one could do more gentle, stretching exercises, such as Hatha Yoga.

A problem with embarking upon any vigorous exercise regime in order to lose weight, is that the exercise itself might increase one's appetite, so in reality one begins to eat more, perhaps even without realising it.

20 minutes ago, VincentRJ said:

I wrote previously that I would leave the discussion because it appeared I was inflaming certain people, which was not my intention, so I hope the following comments are taken merely as objective and logical observations, or deductions.

My basic premise from the very first post is that the fundamental cause of obesity, or any degree of overweightedness, is eating too much in relation to the requirements of one's own body.

Since we are all different to some degree, in height, bone structure, metabolism, and a million other factors, including the nature of our regular activities throughout the day, which might include for some people  periods of heavy exercise in the gym, extensive jogging, and for others very little exercise at all, it follows that the amount of food required to support any individual's activities and natural bodily functions will vary.

If a person is a couch potato but eats as much as her twin sister who jogs regularly, then it would not be surprising if the couch potato were overweight.
One could argue that the reason the couch potato is overweight is because she doesn't exercise enough, but that is only half the story. More fundamentally or more precisely, the reason the couch potato is overweight is because she is eating too much in relation to the energy requirements of her life-style.

Perhaps she doesn't want to change her life-style. Perhaps she hates jogging. So what's the solution? Simply eat less.

Now, one can claim that eating less is not simple because of uncontrollable desire for food.
However, my claim is that the solution really is simple and effective. It is the implementation of that simple solution which can be a problem for some. I recognise that, but I also observe, from my own experience, that people who find it too difficult to eat less, will tend to accept all sorts of excuses , and even accept advice that eating less is dangerous, and will tend to get into a state of denial about that fundamental principle that eating too much is the initial, fundamental cause of their obesity.

If a person is an overweight  couch potato, one could argue that exercising more whilst continuing to eat the same amount of food, might be a healthier solution than simply eating less in order to gradually become a lighter-weight couch potato.  I would tend to agree with that proposition.

However, there are alternative approaches, such as eating less but also eating more nutritious food. And instead of vigorous exercise like jogging and/or lifting weights in a gym, one could do more gentle, stretching exercises, such as Hatha Yoga.

A problem with embarking upon any vigorous exercise regime in order to lose weight, is that the exercise itself might increase one's appetite, so in reality one begins to eat more, perhaps even without realising it.

Exercise is never the first thing to do for weight loss, exercise with a change in diet is. A change in diet always wins out over exercise (except in extreme cases like athletes that can burn a lot of calories in one session not the average couch potatoe)

IMHO exercise should be done by everyone.. what kind.. that depends on the goals and fitness of the individual also on the likes and dislikes of the person. Remember its a lifestyle change and for it to be sustainable you should not do something you hate. I would hate Yoga with a vengeance.. while lifting is more my style and even though i dislike cardio I include it for cardio health and extra caloric burn. 

But if exercise does not rise your heart-rate its basically useless for cardio vascular health. 

The appetite thing after exercise is totally different in different people.. for me I rather eat less I am never hungry after a hard workout session. Others do eat more like you describe, also if you have a healthy diet you can control yourself after exercise. 

I agree with most of what you say and agree that change should come from the individual. Even if the exercise or the diet are not perfect.. its better than nothing.. rather a small change that can be kept for years than a huge change that will be abandoned after a while. 

Just found this on wikipedia:

"Improvements in the management of diabetes mellitus in the twentieth century have made it possible for athletes to compete in sport at a professional level. While it is rare for professional athletes to have type 2 diabetes, a number of notable athletes have type 1."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sportspeople_with_diabetes

My point was that a lot of people who are a healthy weight may have some insulin situation that works to their advantage at least in their weight. There's a note on that wiki link that says " It does not include athletes diagnosed after retirement. " Just as there are fat people who aren't lazy there are thin people who are thin or healthy-looking not because they actually do anything. Just noting that.  Of course on the inside, it's a whole different story.

1 hour ago, Alive said:

My point was that a lot of people who are a healthy weight may have some insulin situation that works to their advantage at least in their weight. There's a note on that wiki link that says " It does not include athletes diagnosed after retirement. " Just as there are fat people who aren't lazy there are thin people who are thin or healthy-looking not because they actually do anything. Just noting that.  Of course on the inside, it's a whole different story.

Sure, there are fat people who are not lazy (actually still think its more about eating then exercise) and there are thin people that don't have to do a thing. I know a few of them. But usually they have different appetite cravings as the heavier people. Its not so much how much they burn but how much they eat. 

But I 100% agree there are differences among people seen plenty of evidence about it. They say the max burn between both ends of the spectrum is around 20%. That is between the most extreme case in general its far closer together.. appetite.. i think that is the key even at 20% more burn and 2000 calories that is only 400 (wish i burned it extra in a day). But if you have almost no appetite its far easier to not eat 500 calories.. so i suspect is more on the appetite side. Now if you have someone with low appetite and high burn.. then they don't have to do a thing. 

1 hour ago, Alive said:

Just found this on wikipedia:

"Improvements in the management of diabetes mellitus in the twentieth century have made it possible for athletes to compete in sport at a professional level. While it is rare for professional athletes to have type 2 diabetes, a number of notable athletes have type 1."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sportspeople_with_diabetes

Your earlier post mentioned athletes who come down with Diabetes...that would be Type-2. 

Type-1 Diabetes is a completely different circumstance since it is genetic. 

Actually, I wasn't specifying either. The athlete I know was diagnosed with type 1 in his 40s. He never needed insulin then suddenly did after a life of running, biking and swimming. I suspect diabetes is not on or off. I don't understand it well but do know insulin is absolutely the most important fact to storing fat. Without insulin, you can not store fat. It's that simple. So for those without it or less of it they must be wasting calories by pissing them out or something. Type I diabetics are thin or normal weight usually. Only when they start shooting up insulin do they seem to gain weight. You can even see fat deposits in areas where they shoot up. On the bottom of the page is a picture of fat accumulation at an insulin injection site that was overused. The person has fat there not because he is lazy but because of the insulin itself.

I found this link...

" At the same time, it’s becoming clearer that Type 1 diabetes can occur at any age and sometimes occurs in people who are overweight."

http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/about-diabetes/types-of-diabetes/a-focus-on-adults-with-type-1-diabetes/

I just think a lot of people are born without fat issues and have insulin systems that work in their favor. Some of these folks benefit greatly from it even allowing them to exceed in athletics. Others are screwed up metabolically in the womb or at a young age. By screwed up I mean they will be fatter and have issues related to that. We are not born equals. And the beauty of being thin just like other beauty is about DNA and healthy metabolisms from a young age and not only effort. 

Certainly some athletes who are fit and healthy metabolically give up in their later years and add fat and get diabetes. One of the people I was referring to was a runner who got fat despite eating low fat and running 70 marathons. He didn't do anything wrong yet his body just wasn't able to maintain fitness. He didn't get diabetes I guess but he chose to reject his traditional diet for a lowcarb/paleo diet.

This is the guy...and you can find more about him on the net and youtube.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Noakes

I can't remember the documentary on eating or paleo that I watched where the documentarian is a thin guy who gets diabetes and wants to deal with it by way of paleo. I think that was the doc that mentions the footballer and some others who have had to change their traditional habits and switch to low carb for health.

Anyways, I just think everyone is different. A lot of people are lucky being born with good genes or even bad genes that keep the fat off. Looking thin and being fit are two different things. Some thin people have more fat on their organs which is a higher risk than the fat guy sitting next to them has. Something to think about. It's so hard to figure out what is right or wrong. Ultimately everyone will keep playing around until they find a lifestyle of food and fitness that works for them. Some or many will never get to that point. We should be looking for the answer to help society but as it is now everything is still unclear and the solution hasn't been found.

IN.jpg

I think this might one of the documentaries. If you watch a lot of these, you know everyone in them. It kind of becomes repetitous propaganda/marketing for low carb doctors and others but there is science in this.

Here's the footballer one. I guess it was a story not about diabetes but heart health relating to carbohydrates.

There are around 10-20 lowcarb paleo documentaries out there. The BBC has quite a lot of fatfithealth documentaries as well. I'm kind of a junky on these types of movies but after watching so so many of these my confidence in what is right and wrong isn't much clearer. At this point, I don't watch them with enthusiasm and don't expect any new shocking revelations.

@Alive,

Dont expect shocking relations,, because if there were everyone would try it. There is no magic cure, going low carb will certainly help those with insulin issue's. I know it helped me but now I don't need to stay low carb anymore. Carbs are a great fuel for workout sessions and actually the body's preferred fuel. But if your not active then they certainly can become a problem (if consumed too many).

You are right about one thing we all should find something that works for us, our bodies are different. I got great respect for those who try something and take charge of their life instead of blaming others for their problems and not taking action themselves. One thing is for sure if people who are fat keep doing what they are doing without making changes nothing will ever change. 

What have you tried and did it work for you ? For me caloric restrictions (in any form) combined with the right foods and exercise have worked for years and keep me in shape. I have lost 25 kg this way.

The only thing that has worked for me is low carb and changing my life, job, location. In the lazy person's case(my case), it's mostly mental but as I get older physical changes due to my years laziness don't help either. I was thin and healthy until I became a teenager and then I started gaining. We had lots of junk food around the house and like most guys I indulged. I lost everything at 18 when I entered the military reserve. I was superfit while in university but after boot camp, I still gained weight every year. I just love food and don't like exercising. In university because of yearly fitness tests in the military I had to run and keep active. I ran every week and worked out morning and nights at a fitness center off campus. I did a lot of weight lifting but didn't have the strength that others did. Curls and leg work I was strong but I couldn't bench as much as my friends despite being a big guy. I swam regularly too in uni. It was the prime of my life in terms of health and I also enjoyed eating out and drinks every week then. Eventually the exercising faded and the eating continued. Slowly I put on the pounds but most of my life people thought I was big but not fat compared to many others. I'm tall so the weight didn't show. Just recently at midlife it seems my metabolism slowed a lot and I didn't react. Now the weight is coming on easy and I have to deal with it. I've started low carb again and hope to get more active. I don't make any excuses for myself. I will defend fat people when thin people go off on their rants because I know what it is like for people dealing with real weight issues. I've met good and bad fit people. Some are encouraging and others want to put people down. One of the people who put others down was that diabetic I mentioned. My argument for the people who want to put others down is why aren't they Olympians. If they just weren't so lazy, the would be in the Olympics too. And another is losing one pound of fat takes as much effort as losing 100. Those thin people who have an extra pound of fat they can't get rid of are just as lazy as that fat guy. Well, anyways you can see how I feel about the people who put others down. Even though I haven't dealt with my own weight issues, I do tell others like young people to wake up and think about their health. Weight problems for most people happen slowly over decades. Once you gain the weight, it's not going to come off over night. Well, whatever. So yes, I am one of the people with a weight problem. Am I running to deal with it? No. Should I? probably yes but nothing is that simple despite what some of the  people out there say.

24 minutes ago, Alive said:

The only thing that has worked for me is low carb and changing my life, job, location. In the lazy person's case(my case), it's mostly mental but as I get older physical changes due to my years laziness don't help either. I was thin and healthy until I became a teenager and then I started gaining. We had lots of junk food around the house and like most guys I indulged. I lost everything at 18 when I entered the military reserve. I was superfit while in university but after boot camp, I still gained weight every year. I just love food and don't like exercising. In university because of yearly fitness tests in the military I had to run and keep active. I ran every week and worked out morning and nights at a fitness center off campus. I did a lot of weight lifting but didn't have the strength that others did. Curls and leg work I was strong but I couldn't bench as much as my friends despite being a big guy. I swam regularly too in uni. It was the prime of my life in terms of health and I also enjoyed eating out and drinks every week then. Eventually the exercising faded and the eating continued. Slowly I put on the pounds but most of my life people thought I was big but not fat compared to many others. I'm tall so the weight didn't show. Just recently at midlife it seems my metabolism slowed a lot and I didn't react. Now the weight is coming on easy and I have to deal with it. I've started low carb again and hope to get more active. I don't make any excuses for myself. I will defend fat people when thin people go off on their rants because I know what it is like for people dealing with real weight issues. I've met good and bad fit people. Some are encouraging and others want to put people down. One of the people who put others down was that diabetic I mentioned. My argument for the people who want to put others down is why aren't they Olympians. If they just weren't so lazy, the would be in the Olympics too. And another is losing one pound of fat takes as much effort as losing 100. Those thin people who have an extra pound of fat they can't get rid of are just as lazy as that fat guy. Well, anyways you can see how I feel about the people who put others down. Even though I haven't dealt with my own weight issues, I do tell others like young people to wake up and think about their health. Weight problems for most people happen slowly over decades. Once you gain the weight, it's not going to come off over night. Well, whatever. So yes, I am one of the people with a weight problem. Am I running to deal with it? No. Should I? probably yes but nothing is that simple despite what some of the  people out there say.

At least you realize it and are trying low carb. I won't say that I am never lazy (I need to train now but im not yet in the mood). Having said that I have been consistent over the last years and it shows. The weight I lost I never got back (in fat) I did get heavier but fat it was not. I know that if I let myself go I would be in the same situation as you are. I love eating too.. but I have found that if i stick with my own cooking and program i lose the taste for bad foods. However if I start them its hard to ignore them.

Now I am just trying to see how lean I can actually get and believe me the leaner you get the harder it is to lose more fat. Your argument about Olympians.. we need not only effort but good genes for that too. I got perfect genes for building muscle unfortunately they are good for gaining fat too :D.

Now as a test I am extra strict with my food and added 35 minutes of cardio after my weight lifting (I only did loads of cardio when i lost my weight after that I only lifted weights i dislike cardio). I hope it will help me get where I want. Its more a challenge to myself as I am already happy how I look. 

I think what you should do is go low carb and maybe stay low carb. What your currently eating is what got you fat in the first place going back to it after you lost the weight will only help you regain it. I never went back to the bad diet I had before (had my problem times but never more then a few months). To stay lean it really means to change diet and keep it changed. 

Good luck with your quest what I have learned from adding cardio ( i started with 10 minutes and added 5 every week and am at 35 now.. I could go to 40 but there is a limit to what i can endure mentally) is that you should start slow and don't go all out right away else there is no room for improvement. Als just try to pick a sports that you like and don't look at it as for weight loss only because.. diet will help more. Just look at it for giving you better quality of life when you get older. My dad is active and has loads of energy.. mother was never active and now it shows. Really if you want to be active when old.. exercise. 

Yes, it is simple:  Eat less and exercise more.

This will require a small amount of personal responsibility, but if people genuinely want to lose weight, the above is the best method to accomplish that goal.

Unfortunately some people want to make excuses and blame everything else under the sun except their own lack of self control.

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 2:28 PM, up-country_sinclair said:

This will require a small amount of personal responsibility, but if people genuinely want to lose weight, the above is the best method to accomplish that goal.

Unfortunately some people want to make excuses and blame everything else under the sun except their own lack of self control.

I think this person agrees with you!

Shame.jpg

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 2:28 PM, up-country_sinclair said:

This person doesn't agree with you!

stillfat.jpg

Archived