Myths about amounts of needed water exposed

Jingthing

Many of us think we really need 8 glasses a day.

The information in the video is a bit hard to digest if you've bought the drink lots of water messages.

I definitely don't only drink when thirsty.

I don't count glasses but I reckon I drink more than 8 glasses a day.

Sometimes I have even felt I have had too much water.

If you don't drink enough water ... doesn't the urine get too concentrated?

Also many of us drink more water BEFORE exercise.

This video questions that practice.

I've heard if you don't feel like urinating right after an exercise session you didn't drink enough water.

This video doesn't address that specifically, but does  by implication. 

Posting this here because I know many of use water as a way to create a feeling of fullness in the stomach at mealtimes, to avoid eating too much food.

Water is a great drink. No calories and so much better than harmful substances like sodas, even diet sodas

For your consideration:

Great video. Been saying this for years. Just drink when you're thirsty.

On average I drink 2 glasses of water a day, combined with a can of coke and two coffees. Sometime I get a mild headache early evening and realize that I haven't drank anything all day yet. One glass of water and 5 minutes later all is good again.  Only when working really hard outside in the sun For hours I drink a lot more, so I start to sweat and stay cool. Normally I never sweat. That's why I tell people who complain that they sweat so much here in Thailand to limit their drink intake and see what happens.

7 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

On average I drink 2 glasses of water a day, combined with a can of coke and two coffees. Sometime I get a mild headache early evening and realize that I haven't drank anything all day yet. One glass of water and 5 minutes later all is good again.  Only when working really hard outside in the sun For hours I drink a lot more, so I start to sweat and stay cool. Normally I never sweat. That's why I tell people who complain that they sweat so much here in Thailand to limit their drink intake and see what happens.

But all you are proving is that you actually are dehydrated. 

If you immediately start sweating after you drink fluid then it means your body had shut down sweating due to dehydration even though it needed to cool down.

A recent personal anecdote. 

(I'm currently not taking Garcinia Cambogia (a supplement that helps some people restrict food cravings and reduce portion sizes) as I'm concerned about possible health risks for long term usage, so that's not a factor in this story.)

I was at a Thai food court and I didn't buy any water. I got food from the food court until I was full, with no drink.

After I left, while I had not really eaten a massive amount of food, I thought about it and realized IF I had had a good sized bottle of water with the food, I would not have felt the hunger to eat as much as I did.

I thought, next time, get some water and see the difference. 

At restaurants, I almost always order water, but sometimes soda water which I know is not as healthy. 

I'm trying to tie the water amount question into relevancy of THIS forum.

Are others using water to "fool" yourself into a greater feeling of fullness? 

it's all fluff from Big Water Pharma, as they want more Sales...

The effects of Dehydration, and the effects over over-hydrating are the same bad news...

so yes, it is a matter of finding your own happy medium.

- have enough to ensure your kidneys are kept functioning well

- have enough to ensure your digestive system can properly function, and a clue there is to monitor yourself.

I monitor:

- constipation-like effects, so increase levels to get that regular output of number ones

- urine's colour and density - increase intake for eliminating the strong colours

I'd only permit strong urinal colour if I am already a couple of days into a Detox.

You don't have to keep buying all those bottles:

- boil your own tapwater

- add some lemon etc, and so you can modify the ph of your intake

Well I've gotten much better at eating when hungry and not feeling required to eat based on the clock. But I understand why people do especially people living structured lives based on work schedules.

But drinking only based on thirst. I'm definitely not there. My pattern is to drink so much that I don't often even get to thirsty. In fact I think I find thirst a little distressing. I can see that isn't very natural and perhaps unhealthy just as eating when not hungry clearly is not natural or health promoting.

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

A recent personal anecdote. 

(I'm currently not taking Garcinia Cambogia (a supplement that helps some people restrict food cravings and reduce portion sizes) as I'm concerned about possible health risks for long term usage, so that's not a factor in this story.)

I was at a Thai food court and I didn't buy any water. I got food from the food court until I was full, with no drink.

After I left, while I had not really eaten a massive amount of food, I thought about it and realized IF I had had a good sized bottle of water with the food, I would not have felt the hunger to eat as much as I did.

I thought, next time, get some water and see the difference. 

At restaurants, I almost always order water, but sometimes soda water which I know is not as healthy. 

I'm trying to tie the water amount question into relevancy of THIS forum.

Are others using water to "fool" yourself into a greater feeling of fullness? 

I sometimes use to to fool my body and it works for me.

18 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Big Water Pharma ? 

Huh?

Translate to a market  of current  annual worldwide bottled water sales  =  +300million tonnes per year = +830 million litres per day.   A  core business that is converting 99.9999% of a  raw product that flows at a cost measured in cents per 1000 litres  to one that is sold by many cents per litre.   

haha, thaivisa users taking medical information out of an online comic video ...

we live in thailand, you know, the kind of temperatures which are considered a heat wave in any other country...

coffee and cola de-hydrate you even more 

maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but one day your kidneys say bye bye, game over

those sport drinks are not for the average JOE, but for real athletes

they are full of sugar & transfat vegetable oil

I think your body is usually pretty good at letting you know when you're needing additional hydration.

Good luck on finding any female in the UK whose not clutching a bottle of designer water, no matter how sedentary an activity she might be engaged in.

Never seen a Thai lady surgically attached to water bottles though, despite the climate.

19 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

Speak to you after your kidney stone attack....

19 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

My pattern was exactly like yours a couple years ago.    Then my doctor required me to take in a minimum of 3 liters a day (4 liters max).   Surprise:  It not only assisted my kidney function (the original purpose), but literally cleared up about 4 or 5 other minor physical problems I had been having over the years (such as headaches, restricted bowel movements, serious body odor and  eye infections--the latter due to dry-eye syndrome).  Sorry if too much information.  :blink:

I'm a believer.  

This chart has done me well over the years.....
PeeInfographic_cropped.jpg

20 hours ago, tifino said:

it's all fluff from Big Water Pharma, as they want more Sales...

The effects of Dehydration, and the effects over over-hydrating are the same bad news...

so yes, it is a matter of finding your own happy medium.

- have enough to ensure your kidneys are kept functioning well

- have enough to ensure your digestive system can properly function, and a clue there is to monitor yourself.

I monitor:

- constipation-like effects, so increase levels to get that regular output of number ones

- urine's colour and density - increase intake for eliminating the strong colours

I'd only permit strong urinal colour if I am already a couple of days into a Detox.

You don't have to keep buying all those bottles:

- boil your own tapwater

- add some lemon etc, and so you can modify the ph of your intake

Who is big water farmer,is that god.He provides my drinking water.If he excisted.

This is really kinda stupid as water is essential to living and if you are looking for excuses to not drink then do not read on but if you really respect and honor your body drink at least 8 glasses of PURE WATER not from plastic bottles or faulty water filters or sparkling wather...go for the best and get a good filter or at least by bottled water.    

Sufficient water intake, fresh air intake, sunshine intake are all essential and there are no shortcuts for these.   Additionally,  check out the quality of the sugar, salt and cooking oils you are consuming as these can be upgraded also to coconut sugar, Himalayan pink salt, and either coconut or olive oil for cooking and ditch the rest.    In other words, GET REAL!

The video is from a U.S. educational show called Adam Ruins Everything. It's credible. But knowing my personal health details I think I won't change much in response to the video.

I already don't count glasses as I'm sure I drink at least enough. Like I said before sometimes I drink so much that I actually feel overloaded with water. That can't be good so I'll be more conscious to avoid that.

Depends hugely on your activity level and whether you live all day in A/C. 

I don't have any A/C and usually drink around 3 litres of water per day (4-5 small bottle), plus 4-5 cups of coffee or tea, and usually one large beer - so that's probably around 4-5 litres in total (plus whatever is in the food I eat - soups, fruits, etc).  When it's cooler, maybe a little less.

But in 2 hours of Tennis I can easily get through 2-3 lts and still be ready for a couple of large beers afterwards...!

If you spend all day punching the keyboard or TV remote in your a/c'd condo you probably only need 1-2 lt....

I had some hydration testing done on some elite athletes a few years ago...depending on body fat composition most of the athletes perspired between 600mls to 1.2 litres per hour playing golf.

This was in a high humidity environment, 4 1/2 hours walking you will need 3 to 5 litres of water to maintain hydration. Throw in some sugared and caffeinated beverages and you need to drink even more water..

This will only maintain your hydration levels not improve them. IMO  you can't consume enough water during the day to maintain healthy levels...

I had a friend who keeled over in Africa. He was on a photo safari. Everyone though he was having a heart attack. He was drinking coffee and coke all day. He was found to be dehydrated. 

I drink 3 to 4 l a day. More if I'm outside.

I also remember reading that some people who are very overweight can have a defective mechanism that when they are thirsty there brain signals them that they are hungry.

I almost never drink carbonated sugar drinks, maybe half a dozen a year. Also cut out juices. 

I do use water when I have a particular food craving and it seems to diminish it.

Depends hugely on your activity level and whether you live all day in A/C. 

I don't have any A/C and usually drink around 3 litres of water per day (4-5 small bottle), plus 4-5 cups of coffee or tea, and usually one large beer - so that's probably around 4-5 litres in total (plus whatever is in the food I eat - soups, fruits, etc).  When it's cooler, maybe a little less.

But in 2 hours of Tennis I can easily get through 2-3 lts and still be ready for a couple of large beers afterwards...!

If you spend all day punching the keyboard or TV remote in your a/c'd condo you probably only need 1-2 lt....

Coffee, tea, beer, liquid in food--doesn't count. In fact, any alcohol DEHYDRATES the body. Basic science. Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40 years ago when i was a kid i never heard anyone said "drink lots of water, drink lots of water", yet apparently they all survived and doing well until today.

If you forgot to drink water your body will tell you by giving you a headache, your urine becomes thick and looks awful, your throat will dry and you don't feel well. You don't have to count the glasses you drink, it doesn't make sense. You can also drink while you are having a shower, can't you? Well, save time and you multi-task, this word that i hate. Multi-task my arse I told my boss.

Archived