Which one ? Sony RX10 - Lumix FZ1000

Always looking for the rare breed :bah: ;

Don't want to buy an APS-C with different zoom lens ; my budget is not a big one so... for maximum 30 to 35,000 baht i need a good camera with a nice aperture and if it's possible a zoom with a range from ultra wide angle to 200/400 mm .

I think I have the choice between two bridge cameras ; if it is tropicalized it's a + ;

Lumix FZ 1000 ( non tropicalised )

Sony RX10 ( I think tropicalised but not sure )

If I win the thai lottery maybe the Sony RX 10 III :cheesy:

For those who have a look at my photos; I shoot vehicles , and countryside , sometimes macro ( i like that ) and would like to shoot more in the night but my little compact Olympus is very bad for that .

Can u help me..

Any suggestions ?

Thanks a lot

Not sure what you mean by tropicalised; but I don't think either are waterproof. Not really an issue (just don't shoot in the pouring rain); more important to keep your camera in some form of  humidity controlled box when not using it.

Bridge cameras achieve their very long effective focal length by using a small sensor; which usually means not the best in terms of low light shooting (noisy). It's a trade-off you have to live with.

You can do some on-line research to find possible candidates (this might help: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/2016-roundup-enthusiast-long-zoom-cameras); then go to a shop and try them in your hands. The one that feels the nicest to use; that's the one for you!

• 1 month later...

I considered both these cameras and went to MBK to check them out. I checked the Panasonic out first then I went to the Sony store in MBK and looked at the RX10. I bought neither and instead bought a RX100 mk3 because it could fit in my pocket. Great camera and pleased with my choice. I take this everywhere with me. If I didn't already have a DSLR I probably would have bought the RX 10 but I'm a little brand loyal there.

I realize this is not on topic, but something to look at for those looking for a compact camera!

I saw this on one of the news channels yesterday, they were raving about it... (well the Kodak rep was!!)

There is a link here to look at it... although it could be a while before available in Thailand ...

http://tech.thaivisa.com/kodak-unveils-the-ultimate-smartphone-for-photographers/18111/

1 hour ago, samuijimmy said:

I realize this is not on topic, but something to look at for those looking for a compact camera!

I saw this on one of the news channels yesterday, they were raving about it... (well the Kodak rep was!!)

There is a link here to look at it... although it could be a while before available in Thailand ...

http://tech.thaivisa.com/kodak-unveils-the-ultimate-smartphone-for-photographers/18111/

Lipstick on a pig! Someone has licensed the Kodak name, stuck some components together, and upped the price accordingly.

6 hours ago, danielb1 said:

Better is LUMIX GX85. Good price and have 4K. Price with lens under 29000 baht.

What is "better" is what suits the needs of the purchaser. The OP wants an ultrazoom camera; he has not stated the requirement for an interchangeable lens camera or 4k video.

There are no bad modern cameras; the one for you is the one that suits your needs.

4 hours ago, FracturedRabbit said:

What is "better" is what suits the needs of the purchaser. The OP wants an ultrazoom camera; he has not stated the requirement for an interchangeable lens camera or 4k video.

There are no bad modern cameras; the one for you is the one that suits your needs.

Of course there are bad modern cameras. The Fuji HS-10 bridge camera I bought a few years back finally turned out to be such a beast. Quite large and heavy, the zoom gets increasingly difficult to turn as it's zoomed, and the camera adds yackity-yack mechanical noise to any videos I make. The HS-10 now almost never leaves the shelf. I mostly consider it a boat anchor at this point and suspect there are a great many cameras out there that turn into boat anchors in short order. 30,000 Baht is a fair chunk of change to spend on something. Best to do all one can to make sure it's a good something... The best whatever that can be found.

Looking at the reviews of the two cameras he mentions at imaging-resource.com, it appears that both cameras have drawbacks. In addition to being "not cheap," they can be slow, or heavy, or big, or simply judged not to be quite as good as some other cameras out there. Of the two OP mentions, that particular site appears to give the nod to the Panasonic (your reading may vary, but price is certainly a big factor).

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-rx10/sony-rx10A.HTM

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-fz1000/panasonic-fz1000A.HTM

After the Fuji HS-10, looking at the price of these things, and comparing the features and complaints, etc., I believe I would pass on both of them.

I currently use an RX100, and am pretty impressed with and fond of that camera. Not as much zoom as either of the cameras OP mentions, but I don't really need that much zoom very often at all. I do, however, very much like the fast f/1.8 lens (both cameras mentioned by OP appear to be f/2.8). (RX100 lens ranges are either 28-100, or 24-70, depending on the model, but note that it has a decent enough additional "clear image digital zoom" capability, which works well enough, though the more you zoom, the lower the quality will be.) The RX100 is fairly light and small, and can be carried in a pouch on my belt which makes it ideal to carry with me on the motorcycle. It also has the 1" sensor that OP''s two cameras offer and of course such sensors offer amazing greater detail than do smaller ones. A couple of RX100 models apparently offer 4K video, though that strikes me as a bit overkill. The 1080p my particular model produces is more than adequate for me.

I don't believe I would like either of OP's camera options as much as I like my RX100. Seems reasonable that OP might want to consider it as an alternative (see retoohs' post above, where that poster states that they opted for the RX100 instead of either of OP's choices). There are now five different versions of RX100, with varying features. A table comparing at least many of the different features can be found here.

https://photographylife.com/sony-rx100-series-comparison

9 hours ago, RedQualia said:

Of course there are bad modern cameras. The Fuji HS-10 bridge camera I bought a few years back finally turned out to be such a beast. Quite large and heavy, the zoom gets increasingly difficult to turn as it's zoomed, and the camera adds yackity-yack mechanical noise to any videos I make. The HS-10 now almost never leaves the shelf. I mostly consider it a boat anchor at this point and suspect there are a great many cameras out there that turn into boat anchors in short order. 30,000 Baht is a fair chunk of change to spend on something. Best to do all one can to make sure it's a good something... The best whatever that can be found.

Looking at the reviews of the two cameras he mentions at imaging-resource.com, it appears that both cameras have drawbacks. In addition to being "not cheap," they can be slow, or heavy, or big, or simply judged not to be quite as good as some other cameras out there. Of the two OP mentions, that particular site appears to give the nod to the Panasonic (your reading may vary, but price is certainly a big factor).

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-rx10/sony-rx10A.HTM

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-fz1000/panasonic-fz1000A.HTM

After the Fuji HS-10, looking at the price of these things, and comparing the features and complaints, etc., I believe I would pass on both of them.

I currently use an RX100, and am pretty impressed with and fond of that camera. Not as much zoom as either of the cameras OP mentions, but I don't really need that much zoom very often at all. I do, however, very much like the fast f/1.8 lens (both cameras mentioned by OP appear to be f/2.8). (RX100 lens ranges are either 28-100, or 24-70, depending on the model, but note that it has a decent enough additional "clear image digital zoom" capability, which works well enough, though the more you zoom, the lower the quality will be.) The RX100 is fairly light and small, and can be carried in a pouch on my belt which makes it ideal to carry with me on the motorcycle. It also has the 1" sensor that OP''s two cameras offer and of course such sensors offer amazing greater detail than do smaller ones. A couple of RX100 models apparently offer 4K video, though that strikes me as a bit overkill. The 1080p my particular model produces is more than adequate for me.

I don't believe I would like either of OP's camera options as much as I like my RX100. Seems reasonable that OP might want to consider it as an alternative (see retoohs' post above, where that poster states that they opted for the RX100 instead of either of OP's choices). There are now five different versions of RX100, with varying features. A table comparing at least many of the different features can be found here.

https://photographylife.com/sony-rx100-series-comparison

The HS-10 is not a bad camera, it was just not right for you. I had the same experience with a Fuji X100; lovely camera but we didn't bond. Just because we didn't get on  with particular cameras does not make them bad. As I said, There are no bad modern cameras; the one for you is the one that suits your needs.

I have the RX 100 IV and love it. But its small size is both a blessing and a curse, it can be a fiddle to use and I know people who just can't live with it; plus it  doesn't have the reach the OP is looking for. Every camera has compromises; it's  about finding what works for you.  I just don't think that answering a query about two specific cameras with "XXX is better" is useful.

Posting a "what camera should I buy" question on a forum is ultimately pointless. All you get are responses from people describing their favourite as an alternative. As your links illustrate, there are a mass of independent reviews out there. Read them, make a short list, and then get yourself into a camera shop, try them in your hand, and find out which one you would like to live with.

17 minutes ago, FracturedRabbit said:

The HS-10 is not a bad camera, it was just not right for you. I had the same experience with a Fuji X100; lovely camera but we didn't bond. Just because we didn't get on  with particular cameras does not make them bad. As I said, There are no bad modern cameras; the one for you is the one that suits your needs.

I have the RX 100 IV and love it. But its small size is both a blessing and a curse, it can be a fiddle to use and I know people who just can't live with it; plus it  doesn't have the reach the OP is looking for. Every camera has compromises; it's  about finding what works for you.  I just don't think that answering a query about two specific cameras with "XXX is better" is useful.

Posting a "what camera should I buy" question on a forum is ultimately pointless. All you get are responses from people describing their favourite as an alternative. As your links illustrate, there are a mass of independent reviews out there. Read them, make a short list, and then get yourself into a camera shop, try them in your hand, and find out which one you would like to live with.

I have an HS10. Do you? Apart from its increasingly difficult to turn zoom lens the more its extended, it's relatively poor image quality, the added mechanical sound effects on videos, and the difficult to see viewfinder that often just blacks out completely, it's a wonderful camera. Or at least the reviews made it sound like it would be. If you'd like to buy mine, do let me know. I've no use for it anymore.

Which is just to reiterate that OP is getting ready to drop a fair amount of change on a camera. IMO, he should research his options a bit further and make sure what he's getting is really a good camera. Maybe do a search for " Lumix FZ 1000 problems", "Sony RX10 problems", and etc. and see what the complaints might be. Plenty of results are returned, and for the RX100 as well.

On 10/20/2016 at 1:16 AM, retoohs said:

I considered both these cameras and went to MBK to check them out. I checked the Panasonic out first then I went to the Sony store in MBK and looked at the RX10. I bought neither and instead bought a RX100 mk3 because it could fit in my pocket. Great camera and pleased with my choice. I take this everywhere with me. If I didn't already have a DSLR I probably would have bought the RX 10 but I'm a little brand loyal there.

The zoom of the RX100 mk3 is 24-70 mm f/1.8 -2.8 ;

very good aperture but...but a ridiculous zoom ;

it's why I 'm looking for , as I wrote something between 200/400, why not more !

And now I found that the Lumix TZ80  is, maybe, what I'm looking for ;

or as it was suggested by Alant : " I would and probably will be opting for the Nikon DL 24-500 "

With my little Oly TG 860, I can shoot beautiful photos in the day ; nices macro photo also ; I can/must forget to shoot in the night, bad photos .

I'm looking for a good zoom, so another camera ;

And   as wrote FRabbit , going to a big shop where they can have some or all of these cameras and take them in my hands to see which one ...

So I must go to Bangkok ;

nothing or nearly nothing in Udon Thani, Sakon Nakhon;

For those who know Khon Kaen..better or similar as Udon ?

Was very disappointed when looking for a big camera shop in Central Plaza in Udon Thani ;:post-4641-1156694606: ;

maybe in Udon downtown ? but where ?

The zoom of the RX100 mk3 is 24-70 mm f/1.8 -2.8 ;
very good aperture but...but a ridiculous zoom ;
it's why I 'm looking for , as I wrote something between 200/400, why not more !

And now I found that the Lumix TZ80  is, maybe, what I'm looking for ;
or as it was suggested by Alant : " I would and probably will be opting for the Nikon DL 24-500 "

With my little Oly TG 860, I can shoot beautiful photos in the day ; nices macro photo also ; I can/must forget to shoot in the night, bad photos .
I'm looking for a good zoom, so another camera ;
And   as wrote FRabbit , going to a big shop where they can have some or all of these cameras and take them in my hands to see which one ...

So I must go to Bangkok ;
nothing or nearly nothing in Udon Thani, Sakon Nakhon;
For those who know Khon Kaen..better or similar as Udon ?

Was very disappointed when looking for a big camera shop in Central Plaza in Udon Thani ;:post-4641-1156694606: ;
maybe in Udon downtown ? but where ?

It's actually a very sensible zoom. Once you get beyond 3x zoom range, image quality can degrade, and you are probably having to deal with a limited aperture. Image quality from a super zoom camera will be no match for an RX100. But again, if a long zoom is your priority, go for it.
Have you tried putting Big Camera Udon Thani into Google...?

Thank u FRabbit ;

Ah! About " tropicalised "

I mean Water Resistant ;

my Oly TG 860 is much more than WR it is Water Proof, can go 15 meters under water .

Yes, I need a big zoom;

I had that on my Lumix FZ200 but the zoom is " en rade " , broken; don't know exactly what it has;

The camera works normally but when I want to zoom, it stops at about 200 mm and the camera says to me , not exactly that but ,

" have a problem, shut the camera and open it again .."

Sometimes, when I " help" the zoom with my left hand to open totally ..it works, sometimes, no ..

With that I have two batteries; one original from Lumix and  another one compatible;

the camera doesn't want to work with the Lumix one but works with the compatible one ...

Maybe a microscopic animal or dust or ?? went in the mecanic of the zoom ..it's why I would like a WR camera .

If the Lumix FZ1000 was WR, I buy it immediatly .

With the exception of portraits, I generally do quite a bit more wide angle than telephoto. The one inch sensor makes a big difference with regard to detail in the pics, however, and so if I decide it's necessary, I can generally crop a great deal and still find adequate detail. For my purposes, then, the RX100 seems pretty much on target, although it's theoretically true that if you have a 1 inch sensor sort of camera with a 200-400mm zoom on a tripod, you might be able to crop it down and get even far more detail in the original pic. Just doesn't seem necessary to me, though your needs may vary. Original pic below shot at 28mm wide angle with RX100. Second pic a tight crop of the first.

DSC07437_exposure.JPG

DSC07437_exposure-Cropped.JPG

Another RX100 example. I mean, this started out as a wide angle pan shot (lens at 28mm). Note that the original pan shot had to be resized as it exceeded ThaiVisa's 7Mb per file limit. There has to be quite a bit of detail in the pics if I can cut and stretch and tweak the pics this much. Which is just to challenge you a bit on how much telephoto you think you really need. You don't have to answer to us here. But the answer might be important to you. My particular RX100 has a 28-100 zoom, btw. But again, the pics I've posted all started out as 28mm shots.

DSC07389_exposure (Large).JPG

DSC07389_exposure-Crop2.JPG

DSC07389_exposure-Crop2-BW.JPG

16 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Thank u FRabbit ;

Ah! About " tropicalised "

I mean Water Resistant ;

my Oly TG 860 is much more than WR it is Water Proof, can go 15 meters under water .

Yes, I need a big zoom;

I had that on my Lumix FZ200 but the zoom is " en rade " , broken; don't know exactly what it has;

The camera works normally but when I want to zoom, it stops at about 200 mm and the camera says to me , not exactly that but ,

" have a problem, shut the camera and open it again .."

Sometimes, when I " help" the zoom with my left hand to open totally ..it works, sometimes, no ..

With that I have two batteries; one original from Lumix and  another one compatible;

the camera doesn't want to work with the Lumix one but works with the compatible one ...

Maybe a microscopic animal or dust or ?? went in the mecanic of the zoom ..it's why I would like a WR camera .

If the Lumix FZ1000 was WR, I buy it immediatly .

Waterproof superzoom, how about this: https://www.dpreview.com/products/fujifilm/compacts/fujifilm_s1

Archived