BANGKOK 24 February 2019 06:55
benjybkk

Affirmation certificate from British embassy not being accepted by Thai government

Evening all.

I had an appointment set up for tomorrow morning at the British embassy on Wireless road in Bangkok to get the affirmation of marriage form done. The form as I understand it to show that you are not already married or there is no other legal reason why you can't get married here.

I downloaded the form, filled it in and printed it off last night ready for signing etc at the embassy tomorrow.  However, at 4.30pm this afternoon I got a call from the British embassy to say that the Thai government has (I assume today or very recently) advised the embassies of several countries not only the UK that their affirmation form is no longer satisfactory for reasons the lady from the embassy either didn't know or couldn't disclose.  She couldn't give me any further information other than to say it was at my discretion whether to keep the appointment tomorrow morning, pay the fee of 50 pounds and take a chance at CW as to whether they accepted it. Obviously if they didn't accept it that money would be gone and the form useless. It's not so much the 50 pounds I'm worried about but the whole process of going to the embassy, then getting the affirmation translated  and going all the way to CW and waiting there too just to have it refused by the official is something I'd rather avoid. 

She couldn't give me any time frame as to when it will be resolved. All she could say is she had a list of people like me she would email/call as soon as she had more information. She also said that possibly the British embassy will have to amend the affirmation form to appease the Thai government. I can only assume the current form is not detailed enough and the questions do not suffice anymore.

Obviously this is a pretty big deal and extremely inconvenient as it halts any marriage process for any UK citizen in Thailand at the moment. Has anybody else heard anything similar or experienced this yet?

Cheers.

• Like 1

Moved to the marriage and divorce forum

• Like 1

Haven't heard anything but, out of interest, why do you need an affirmation for freedom to marry at CW immigration?

Yeah it's nothing to do with immigration. You have to go to CW as the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is located there.They certify your translation so I guess it is them who are refusing the current affirmation form from the UK embassy.

6 minutes ago, benjybkk said:

Yeah it's nothing to do with immigration. You have to go to CW as the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is located there.They certify your translation so I guess it is them who are refusing the current affirmation form from the UK embassy.

Sorry, I misread your post.

I would have thought that the only person that cares about the affirmation of marriage is the marriage registrar. Not sure why the MFA would not verify a translation as long as the translation is correct. Maybe your fiancee could check at the office you plan to marry at.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

Hi elviajero. Thx for your comment but I think you've missed the point. The details on the affirmation are translated into Thai after you leave the embassy and then approved at the MFA. You have to do this and get it stamped so it is accepted at the registrar when you actually go to register your marriage. 

The problem is that the details on the form are not enough for the Thai government now according to the lady at the British embassy. Just speculating but at the moment it just has address, occupation, salary etc. Maybe the government has decided they want criminal record check or something. I'm just guessing. My point is that this isn't a problem just for me and I understand the process fully. A lot better than my Thai fiancee does. 

This must be affecting other people or if not now it definitely will over the next few days and next week until resolved. I was just hoping that on the off chance someone else affected also read this forum.

Thanks

• Like 1

The affirmation document is based on a template downloaded from the UK embassy. You just fill in the fields. Apparently it is the template that is not being accepted so therefor any translation of it will also not be accepted. Consequently no UK citizen can marry here until this is sorted out. 

Strange, nobody asked for anything like that when I married my wife in Sweden.

Can't say for UK citizens but I had to provide evidence of a previous divorce in Australia.

A bit weird really because I could have remarried again there and therefore a previous divorce document is fairly meaningless.

This reminds me of the letter from the bank saying what funds you have for a visa. One minute after the bank has written that letter you could withdraw the lot, meaningless as well.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, maoro2013 said:

Can't say for UK citizens but I had to provide evidence of a previous divorce in Australia.

A bit weird really because I could have remarried again there and therefore a previous divorce document is fairly meaningless.

This reminds me of the letter from the bank saying what funds you have for a visa. One minute after the bank has written that letter you could withdraw the lot, meaningless as well.

Agree about the affirmation but not quite the same with the visa funds letter, it shows that you have actually transferred the funds into Thailand, which is what they are concerned with.

HL

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

Strange, nobody asked for anything like that when I married my wife in Sweden.

Not strange.

Diffrent countries, different requirements.

It is required in Thailand 

I was quite confused when I got mine, from what I can remember there is no research - it's just a sworn statement. You typed your own letter, there was no appointment system, just rolled up and answered he obvious question. To  I felt that it was quite a lot of money for the. Service. Perhaps the Thais finally realized this.

26 minutes ago, happylarry said:

Agree about the affirmation but not quite the same with the visa funds letter, it shows that you have actually transferred the funds into Thailand, which is what they are concerned with.

HL

Depends a bit on what immigration office you are dealing with.

Mine insisted that my funds were in a fixed deposit which, in a way, should make the bank letter superfluous, but no.

The funds are actually a guarantee that you can support yourself for the coming year, I thought, but in a fixed deposit how can the funds be used.

All BS as far as I am concerned, doesn't make any sense with what my immigration office wants.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maoro2013 said:

Yes you can.But try and withdraw it within the last 3 months,that is the point.Your point is meaningless.