Affirmation certificate from British embassy not being accepted by Thai government

benjybkk

I am still planning on coming back in late November to get married and have explained to my fiancée  the current confusion. I called and asked her, shortly after I read about the problem on here, to check with her local amphur (Phanom Dong Rak, Surin) to see whether they would accept my 'Affirmation of Freedom to Marry' (AoFtM) certificate from the British Embassy.

She tells me she went with her father (who is well known and respected in the area) to the district office and was told 'No problem'. I have no way of verifying her information until I get back as she tends to give bland assurances about things which she doesn't fully comprehend but she would never admit that. :whistling:

She is only concerned with the village wedding and huge party with lots of 'face' that will follow and wasn't even aware how significant the registry office process, and the scrap of paper which comes with it, is for my purposes (visa, funds etc...). Her head is full of the sound of 'wedding bells' that drown out everything else.

I have read reports (also just hearsay) that AoFtM certs are more likely to be accepted in the fiancées home amphur than elsewhere - especially Bangkok where the problem seems to be worst.

Best I can do for now. If I learn more I'll report back here.

Simon

PS: With the OP's permission, it might be helpful to browsers if the post title was altered to 'Affirmation Certificate from Embassies not accepted by some Registry Offices' or something similar.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 14/9/2559 at 1:11 PM, SimonD said:

Guys,

Just a bit of current advise.

I am a UK Citizen currently going through the process of getting the Affirmation past Chaeng Wattana. Though it has been rejected twice. First as my visa only had 9 days instead of the required 10, be aware. Also note you have to be in the country for 3 days before you can get an affirmation. The second rejection was due to the content of the letter. 

For my previous Divorce they did not like the term  KHON KAEN AMPHUR Office and needs to be replaced with MUENG KHON KAEN District Office.

Further they took offence to the use of MOO to be replaced with Village No. and T. to be replaced with Sub-District, A. with District and further to add the word Province after KHON KAEN.

So can probably infer that Tambon and Amphur are not acceptable use of English but then why MUENG is acceptable  is a mystery  and I would think its use might result in a further rejection? Whoopy Doo.

Anyway, another appointment is needed at the embassy and I have to pay for another letter. This some 12 days before my current visa expires. The Chaeng Wattana bit i have done through an agency hoping to avoid such issues.

Its a minefield. Will update.

Affirmation Correction - FARRELL WEBBER.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/02/2016 at 10:28 AM, Emster23 said:

Anyone happen to which other countries affirmation forms don't cut it now?

As a side note, I did write to US embassy that perhaps it might be service to citizens if they made copy of form in Thai as part of package. They have Thai staff that could (one hopes) make passable translation. Why should we have to run about finding translator? Embassy replied they'd "discuss the matter" at some meeting...

The form as I recall is in English do that you may swear to it at your embassy. The form along with your western name, dates, etc are translated.

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I may be out of date but here is a quick run down of what happened to me.

I went to the Embassy and had no problems , the Ladies were very helpful and everything was done as per requirements including correcting a few small things that they knew about.

When I walked out I was pounced on by numerous people offering translation services and also getting the translation stamped at the Ministry, after very pathetic haggling on my part I accepted  one of their offers and arranged to pick it up the following week.

As arranged I went to pick it up the following week with my future wife and was offered full service ,marriage today ,no problem, only ten thousand baht, I politely declined and off we went to the main marriage office( can’t remember the name) . They glanced through the papers and then asked for a certified copy of my passport from the Embassy and a stamped and translated copy of that. I tried pointing out that this was not on the list of items I had carefully prepared but it had no effect, smiles all round but no way was I getting married without that paper.

I phoned the Embassy and was told that this was not part of the requirements that they had however the THAI Officials can and do change things without notice also no appointments were available for the next two weeks.

After an awful lot of talking to one of the Embassy people they said come in now and we might be able to help, a quick taxi ride and we arrived back at the gatehouse and were met by the translation aqent who didn’t actually gloat but said five thousand and done in one hour.

Decision made I called the Embassy person and told them what had transpired and she laughed and said I was learning and all the best for the future.

One and a half hours later we were married in one of the outer suburbs with no waiting and a very pleasant Official.

I have since got my extension based on marriage with all the paperwork being 100% legal, now just coming up for first anniversary and not regretting it.

I just got mine today. All was fine and the UK embassy do state you need signed copy of passport and they have to copy it for you there so no need to worry just take it.

At the embassy several people there did not have their form downloaded or they made mistakes. They have two PC's there where you can re do it and email it back to them which takes about 10 mins so no issue there either.

You will need a copy for the MFA though as it is different as they want to see not just the photo page but your visa exemption or visa page also. You can get that copied on 2nd floor in MFA for 4 baht.

OP should count himself lucky that he can't get a proper marriage, thereby avoiding the problems when the marriage is over and he has to get divorced. I wish I had had a get out of jail free card when I got married.

Just get a village wedding to satisfy the relatives.

Happy days.

Archived