American woman fleeing sexual advances survives horror fall in Krabi

rooster59

American woman fleeing sexual advances survives horror fall in Krabi 

Eakkapop Thongtub

1472818656_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: A 23-year-old American woman is in hospital in Krabi after falling down a mountain last night while fleeing a man she says was sexually harassing her. The woman suffered with her injuries, which include possible broken legs, in the wild overnight until a search party found her this morning.

Tourist Police Lt Col Attapong Sanjaiwut and Krabi Tourist Rescue Centre Director Nitiphat Mongkolpradit were notified of the incident at 12:30pm today (Sept 2).

The American woman, who police named as tourist Hannnah Michel Gavios, is now recovering at Krabi Hospital.

Mr Nitiphat said the incident happened at about 11pm.

“Officials received a call reporting that a tourist had been injured after she had fallen down a mountain in the Railay area,” he explained.

"Rescue workers were searching for her last night, but they could not find her, so this morning we when out to search again and discovered her lying in between rocks about 45 metres from the trail at the top of the mountain. She was only 15 metres from the water below,” he said.

Rescue workers reported that Ms Gavios could not feel anything in her legs, Mr Nitiphat said.

“Ms Gavios is experiencing numbness on both of her legs and doctors have yet to confirm whether either of her legs are broken,” he said.

Ms Gavios told police that she fell while she escaping a man who was sexually harassing her.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/american-woman-fleeing-sexual-advances-survives-horror-fall-in-krabi-58962.php#BMSgd10QrV5hIGPh.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-09-03

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poor woman...People with broken legs feel pain...Usually lots of it. Sounds as if she has a spinal fracture...thoracic or lumbar...I'd bet London to a brick that she wasn't treated as spinal when she was extricated. I've had experiences with the medical side of the so called emergency services in Thailand...Cowboys.

3 minutes ago, lahgon29 said:

Poor woman...People with broken legs feel pain...Usually lots of it. Sounds as if she has a spinal fracture...thoracic or lumbar...I'd bet London to a brick that she wasn't treated as spinal when she was extricated. I've had experiences with the medical side of the so called emergency services in Thailand...Cowboys.

I hate to discredit these emergency services workers since they perform a great service to farangs and photos of other incodents have shown c-spine immobilization was practiced.

So before I slam them, and zi have no personal experience like yourself, I would say it is entirely likey she suffered the spinal trauma in the initial fall and then exacerbated it herself during the several hours she was alone.

The party at fault here are not the rescuers but the guy who attempted to rape her. 

Unwanted sexual advances are made in a bar.

They become attempted rape when they occur at midnight in a remote trail with only the attacker and the victim.

29 minutes ago, fatyank said:

Very dangerous for females to go hiking alone or even in pairs

In no way I am trying to condone what happened to this woman-did she get lost? 

She was on her own in a forest at 11pm , in the dark- maybe with this man- it all sounds bizarre.

Good work of the rescue services- some unfair comments- we live in a developing country- there simply is not a ambulance / rescue service that responds in minutes to Goverment targets- manned by very very well trained paramedics with the latest equipment . 

I have nothing but admiration to the volunteer rescue services- that have to face broken bodies on a daily basis . 

They did a good job and saved this young woman's life. 

52 minutes ago, lahgon29 said:

Yes, sounds more like a spinal injury considering she complained of numbness in the first instance.  Having a closer look at the photo it looks like a spinal board has been placed under the patient but not being there at the time I cannot say for sure.

The way in which she is being extricated looks quite professional and they appear to be exercising all due care.  But that's only an opinion formed from looking at the photograph.  :wai:

16 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

In no way I am trying to condone what happened to this woman-did she get lost? 

She was on her own in a forest at 11pm , in the dark- maybe with this man- it all sounds bizarre.

Good work of the rescue services- some unfair comments- we live in a developing country- there simply is not a ambulance / rescue service that responds in minutes to Goverment targets- manned by very very well trained paramedics with the latest equipment . 

I have nothing but admiration to the volunteer rescue services- that have to face broken bodies on a daily basis . 

They did a good job and saved this young woman's life. 

what is not is explained is how the police was informed and by whom.

35 minutes ago, smedly said:

Lets get the headline right for a start

American woman falls trying to escape from a sexual assault and rape attempt 

altering the headlines does not change the gravity of the poor girl's situation in anyway. that is just academic.

1 hour ago, ClutchClark said:

The party at fault here are not the rescuers but the guy who attempted to rape her. 

Unwanted sexual advances are made in a bar.

Any evidence at all to suggest a man was involved?

Any evidence to suggest that if a man was there the advances weren't only in her mind?

26 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

Any evidence to suggest that if a man was there the advances weren't only in her mind?

If you had bothered to read the article your post would not have been necessary.

“They found one man, later identified as Apai Raingworn, who admitted that he had made sexual advances toward a tourist while taking her from Railay to Tonsai,” he said.

1 hour ago, smedly said:

Lets get the headline right for a start

American woman falls trying to escape from a sexual assault and rape attempt 

This is tautology, using two subjects that mean the same.  Attempted rape is categorised as sexual assault. At this stage the man detained has admitted to sexual harassment, which is a form of prohibited harassment. It is defined as unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature.  Hence the present headline

At this stage. without the victim being interviewed and giving her version, and an investigation undertaken, what you are suggesting would be an unjustified headline.  If she confirms that he tried to rape her then the headline should read,  American woman falls and sustains injuries whilst attempting to escape sexual predator. Then the content can describe what occurred, that she was sexually assaulted and how she tried to escape and continues with a description of her injuries. and any other pertinent details.  But really the headline is just academic wouldn't you say.  :wai:

32 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

If you read the newspaper report then you would see that a man has been detained and made certain admissions, which would not give rise to such a ludicrous assumption.  :wai:

You have to wonder what goes through the mind of a young woman who decides that it is a great idea to go walking through the deserted jungle in the middle of the night with a man she hardly knows.

"Oh, but he was very friendly in the bar, we were having a great time".

Yeah.

I guess she would regularly go out to bars in the States and accept a lift home from some random friendly guy. Not.

There is no Thai woman who would ever consider doing this, as they know that it would be essentially an invitation for sex.

14 minutes ago, 12DrinkMore said:

You have to wonder what goes through the mind of a young woman who decides that it is a great idea to go walking through the deserted jungle in the middle of the night with a man she hardly knows.

"Oh, but he was very friendly in the bar, we were having a great time".

Yeah.

I guess she would regularly go out to bars in the States and accept a lift home from some random friendly guy. Not.

There is no Thai woman who would ever consider doing this, as they know that it would be essentially an invitation for sex.

We do not know that they were walking. For all we know, he was a  taxi/songthaew/moto taxi  driver.

And clearly this was more than just mixed signals as he did not take no for an answer, to such an extreme that she ran into the jungle in the dark to escape him.

I agree that in this culture - and given the stereotypes some Thai men have of Western women - a Thai man might think a Western woman accepting a ride from him - or even hiring his taxi at night - might be willing to have consensual sex with him, and might make an advance as a result. But a non-rapist desists when it becomes apparent he misread the signals.

11 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

We do not know that they were walking. For all we know, he was a  taxi/songthaew/moto taxi  driver.

And clearly this was more than just mixed signals as he did not take no for an answer, to such an extreme that she ran into the jungle in the dark to escape him.

I agree that in this culture - and given the stereotypes some Thai men have of Western women - a Thai man might think a Western woman accepting a ride from him - or even hiring his taxi at night - might be willing to have consensual sex with him, and might make an advance as a result. But a non-rapist desists when it becomes apparent he misread the signals.

They were going through an unlit jungle mountain path between Tonsai Beach and Railey beach. There is no vehicular road access at all to these places.

We do not know what happened, but it is quite possible she had a panic attack and ran off the edge of the difficult path in the pitch black. There is no indication that he persisted and it was possibly him who informed the police about the accident.

2 hours ago, lahgon29 said:

I pray you are wrong......poor lady....she needs all our prayers.

39 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

The details were in the actual article.

One time I commented beforereading the article and ai was crucified here by fellow members.

if I have printed a detail today it is by having read it. 

7 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

In the UK the number of rapes equates to one every 5 minutes, in Thailand one every 15 minutes, the population is about the same, do you also recommend your friends daughters avoid the UK?

Rape or sexual assault ?

The requirements for sexual assault claims are quite broad in the US.

1 hour ago, MissAndry said:

read the article.

1 hour ago, 12DrinkMore said:

Don't blame the victim.  The attacker should be dealt with harshly, but he won't.  Police, in cases like this ALWAYS bend over backwards to make it easy on the perpetrator - because he's Thai.  They'd like to blame it on a Burmese, but the Thai guide already admitted to doing the attempted rape.

8 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

read the article.

Don't blame the victim.  The attacker should be dealt with harshly, but he won't.  Police, in cases like this ALWAYS bend over backwards to make it easy on the perpetrator - because he's Thai.  They'd like to blame it on a Burmese, but the Thai guide already admitted to doing the attempted rape.

I don't believe you are right, Thai police always bend over backwards in a case like this (woman going somewhere alone with a man) because Thai culture assumes an element of consent by her agreeing to be alone with him. All the young Thai women living near me would never dream of going anywhere alone with a men they weren't intending/prepared to have sex with (fathers and brothers excluded, but uncles and cousins included)

Having read the full story,

Man admits to making sexual advances (not a crime), but has made no admission of sexual misconduct and no charges have been brought. So this is going to be another he said, she said claim with no possible proof of any wrong doing by either party.

Archived