Jump to content

American woman fleeing sexual advances survives horror fall in Krabi


rooster59

Recommended Posts

American woman fleeing sexual advances survives horror fall in Krabi 

Eakkapop Thongtub

 

1472818656_1-org.jpg

 

PHUKET: A 23-year-old American woman is in hospital in Krabi after falling down a mountain last night while fleeing a man she says was sexually harassing her. The woman suffered with her injuries, which include possible broken legs, in the wild overnight until a search party found her this morning.

 

 

Tourist Police Lt Col Attapong Sanjaiwut and Krabi Tourist Rescue Centre Director Nitiphat Mongkolpradit were notified of the incident at 12:30pm today (Sept 2).

 

The American woman, who police named as tourist Hannnah Michel Gavios, is now recovering at Krabi Hospital.

 

Mr Nitiphat said the incident happened at about 11pm.

 

“Officials received a call reporting that a tourist had been injured after she had fallen down a mountain in the Railay area,” he explained.

 

"Rescue workers were searching for her last night, but they could not find her, so this morning we when out to search again and discovered her lying in between rocks about 45 metres from the trail at the top of the mountain. She was only 15 metres from the water below,” he said.

 

Rescue workers reported that Ms Gavios could not feel anything in her legs, Mr Nitiphat said.

 

“Ms Gavios is experiencing numbness on both of her legs and doctors have yet to confirm whether either of her legs are broken,” he said.

Ms Gavios told police that she fell while she escaping a man who was sexually harassing her.

 

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/american-woman-fleeing-sexual-advances-survives-horror-fall-in-krabi-58962.php#BMSgd10QrV5hIGPh.97

 

 
tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-09-03
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poor woman...People with broken legs feel pain...Usually lots of it. Sounds as if she has a spinal fracture...thoracic or lumbar...I'd bet London to a brick that she wasn't treated as spinal when she was extricated. I've had experiences with the medical side of the so called emergency services in Thailand...Cowboys.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lahgon29 said:

Poor woman...People with broken legs feel pain...Usually lots of it. Sounds as if she has a spinal fracture...thoracic or lumbar...I'd bet London to a brick that she wasn't treated as spinal when she was extricated. I've had experiences with the medical side of the so called emergency services in Thailand...Cowboys.

 

I hate to discredit these emergency services workers since they perform a great service to farangs and photos of other incodents have shown c-spine immobilization was practiced.

 

So before I slam them, and zi have no personal experience like yourself, I would say it is entirely likey she suffered the spinal trauma in the initial fall and then exacerbated it herself during the several hours she was alone.

 

The party at fault here are not the rescuers but the guy who attempted to rape her. 

 

Unwanted sexual advances are made in a bar.

 

They become attempted rape when they occur at midnight in a remote trail with only the attacker and the victim.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, fatyank said:

Very dangerous for females to go hiking alone or even in pairs

She was alone after dark in this area,whatever was she thinking?

hope she can make a speedy recovery :thumbsup:

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, fatyank said:

Very dangerous for females to go hiking alone or even in pairs

 

In no way I am trying to condone what happened to this woman-did she get lost? 

 

She was on her own in a forest at 11pm , in the dark- maybe with this man- it all sounds bizarre.

 

Good work of the rescue services- some unfair comments- we live in a developing country- there simply is not a ambulance / rescue service that responds in minutes to Goverment targets- manned by very very well trained paramedics with the latest equipment . 

I have nothing but admiration to the volunteer rescue services- that have to face broken bodies on a daily basis . 

They did a good job and saved this young woman's life. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, lahgon29 said:

Poor woman...People with broken legs feel pain...Usually lots of it. Sounds as if she has a spinal fracture...thoracic or lumbar...I'd bet London to a brick that she wasn't treated as spinal when she was extricated. I've had experiences with the medical side of the so called emergency services in Thailand...Cowboys.

 

Yes, sounds more like a spinal injury considering she complained of numbness in the first instance.  Having a closer look at the photo it looks like a spinal board has been placed under the patient but not being there at the time I cannot say for sure.

 

The way in which she is being extricated looks quite professional and they appear to be exercising all due care.  But that's only an opinion formed from looking at the photograph.  :wai:

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

 

In no way I am trying to condone what happened to this woman-did she get lost? 

 

She was on her own in a forest at 11pm , in the dark- maybe with this man- it all sounds bizarre.

 

Good work of the rescue services- some unfair comments- we live in a developing country- there simply is not a ambulance / rescue service that responds in minutes to Goverment targets- manned by very very well trained paramedics with the latest equipment . 

I have nothing but admiration to the volunteer rescue services- that have to face broken bodies on a daily basis . 

They did a good job and saved this young woman's life. 

what is not is explained is how the police was informed and by whom.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, smedly said:

Lets get the headline right for a start

 

American woman falls trying to escape from a sexual assault and rape attempt 

altering the headlines does not change the gravity of the poor girl's situation in anyway. that is just academic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ClutchClark said:

 

The party at fault here are not the rescuers but the guy who attempted to rape her. 

Unwanted sexual advances are made in a bar.

 

 

Any evidence at all to suggest a man was involved?

Any evidence to suggest that if a man was there the advances weren't only in her mind?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...