American woman fleeing sexual advances survives horror fall in Krabi

rooster59

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The official report indicates that she was with a Thai man, that later was found an arrested, admitting his actions.

My wife told me that it is very common for Thai men to believe that women wants sex if spending some time alone with them, and specially in deserted places of between walls...and rapes happens very often to very young women in Thailand.

Very bad idea for a 23 years old American girl to hike with a local man....on vacation, on a forest, and at night.... in any country.... Unfortunately in Thailand..can be deadly.

7 hours ago, MissAndry said:

Having sex is not generally considered dangerous for a female, running about, at night, in the jungle would be considered dangerous by many.

And whats your point? Is it more dangerous for female than for male to go forba hike and if you happen to mean so - why?

38 minutes ago, Mangkhut said:

And whats your point? Is it more dangerous for female than for male to go forba hike and if you happen to mean so - why?

My point was her panicked attempt at escape has probably done her far more damage than he would have, no matter what his intentions. I'd learnt since about age 14 how to put men off and discourage unwanted advances, do young girls these days have no common sense at all?

dotpoom said:

I pray you are wrong......poor lady....she needs all our prayers.

Seriously dotpoom---what position do you suggest we take while praying for this lady ?-----should it  be the full kneeling position ? Or can I just do it on FaceBook

Anyway, he is probably to busy watching young people masturbate and punishing them rather than feeding the starving children in Africa, or looking after people with broken legs--

Sometimes it’s really difficult to remember that you are  actually in the 21st Century with some of the posters on here.

8 hours ago, MissAndry said:

I don't believe you are right, Thai police always bend over backwards in a case like this (woman going somewhere alone with a man) because Thai culture assumes an element of consent by her agreeing to be alone with him. All the young Thai women living near me would never dream of going anywhere alone with a men they weren't intending/prepared to have sex with (fathers and brothers excluded, but uncles and cousins included)

Having read the full story,

Man admits to making sexual advances (not a crime), but has made no admission of sexual misconduct and no charges have been brought. So this is going to be another he said, she said claim with no possible proof of any wrong doing by either party.

You make it sound like the male got a bit too cheeky, and the woman flipped out and jumped off a cliff.  Were you born yesterday in a bubble?  A healthy young woman is not going to jump off a cliff unless she is terribly threatened.   It sounds like she fought off her attacker, if he's got bruises.  Alternatively, he may have tried to go down the cliff to attack her some more.  If he had gone down to assist her, he would have said so loudly.     

He will be let off, and it pisses me off.  It's similar to the Dutch young lady who was roughly raped nearby a few years ago.  The Thai guy got taken to the police station, admitted it, then, after a night in jail, decided to deny it (or give some soggy excuse like "she asked for it") and then SURPRISE!!! was let off scot free by his police buddies.     

I like Krabi and Railey beach.  If I go there I'm going to carry a knife.  If I see any guy trying to rape a woman, I'm going to stick the knife up into one of his kidneys and twist it.

I want to live in a world where a young woman should not be afraid to go take a walk at night with a man she doesn't know well.

For starters, most rapes are perpetrated by men who the victim knows - and are often a family members.

I take walks in nature with young women who have met me just minutes earlier.   I own and manage an Adventure Park in Chiang Rai.  The first of several activities we do is go to a cave and a 70 minute trek in a secluded jungly area.   Every person I've taken on that trip has had a lovely time, and thanks me profusely.  Sometimes I've gone with young women with no guys along.  I've even done the trek several dozen times with one woman at a time.  There is no way I would get smarmy with any of them (and certainly not try to force myself on any of them).  They probably sense that I'm decent.   A decent person puts out a decent-person vibe.  Unfortunately, women are generally poor at reading character traits.  In other words, they're easily fooled.    

In the big picture of things, only a small % of men are sexual predators.  The woman in the OP unfortunately went on the trek with one.   If he'd been decent, they would have had a lovely trek along the trail - and may have wound up being friends or even lovers.   As it is, he fk'd up badly and deserves harsh punishment (which he won't get, because Thai cops are as soft as butter left in the sun). 

6 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

They probably sense that I'm decent.

Or they know that there is a paper trail leading back to you, if you were to dare anything.

Quite frankly I'm surprised you are foolish enough to go anywhere with a single young woman, you are endangering yourself, and opening yourself to the risk of accusations.

Not to mention you have just admitted to breaking the law as only Thais are entitled to work as guides. I wouldn't want to be alone with a self confessed criminal.

9 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

I want to live in a world where a young woman should not be afraid to go take a walk at night with a man she doesn't know well.

For starters, most rapes are perpetrated by men who the victim knows - and are often a family members.

I take walks in nature with young women who have met me just minutes earlier.   I own and manage an Adventure Park in Chiang Rai.  The first of several activities we do is go to a cave and a 70 minute trek in a secluded jungly area.   Every person I've taken on that trip has had a lovely time, and thanks me profusely.  Sometimes I've gone with young women with no guys along.  I've even done the trek several dozen times with one woman at a time.  There is no way I would get smarmy with any of them (and certainly not try to force myself on any of them).  They probably sense that I'm decent.   A decent person puts out a decent-person vibe.  Unfortunately, women are generally poor at reading character traits.  In other words, they're easily fooled.    

In the big picture of things, only a small % of men are sexual predators.  The woman in the OP unfortunately went on the trek with one.   If he'd been decent, they would have had a lovely trek along the trail - and may have wound up being friends or even lovers.   As it is, he fk'd up badly and deserves harsh punishment (which he won't get, because Thai cops are as soft as butter left in the sun). 

You want to live jn a world where a woman can walk in the woods at night with a strange man?

Sorry but you are dreaming. 

You are applying Western ideals to your chosen new home.

Throw out all the mumbo jumbo you think you know because those studies are for Western society.

As for this attacker and the victim maybe becoming lovers--what are you going on about? 

Bottom line this woman should have had more common sense than to go out alone with a strange male in a foreign land in a remote place at midnight. 

No Thai woman in her right mind would ever consider something so stupid.

15 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

Or they know that there is a paper trail leading back to you, if you were to dare anything.

Quite frankly I'm surprised you are foolish enough to go anywhere with a single young woman, you are endangering yourself.

Even more dangerous to do this in the US.

You better keep a GoPro filming the entire time.

Poor girl. Only 23 years old and it looks like her injuries are extremely serious. I am no medical doctor but I am wondering if she will be paralyzed for life. 

There are far too many very serious accidents/incidents involving tourists. And the perpetrators, if they are caught at all, often go entirely scot free. That is

extremely bad for Thailand's tourism business because this kind of information is spread around the world in great detail. Clearly, help from the government is urgently

needed to stamp it out. Handing out very heavy prison sentences would be one effective deterrent.

Finally, this man knew that the girl was in very big trouble down below on that cliff. Nobody seems to have realized that he just left her there overnight (to die?)

instead of coming to her aid. Callous in the extreme. That is another very serious crime.     

A few words of caution:

An expat friend living here told me he was once watching out his restaurant window, observing a Thai male trimming tree branches while it was drizzling (rain).  The guy was up in the tree, barefoot, cutting branches.  Well, the branches were very wet, he was barefoot, and unfortunately he slipped and fell off the tree to the ground below.  

Moments later my friend further observed the injured victims friends rush to his side and they began vigorously shaking the injured man's body while he was laying on the ground!  My friend's Thai wife informed him "It's ok, they are trying to shake the bad spirits out of his body!  The bad spirits were the cause of the fall"!!

Asuming this guy sustained a spinal cord injury in the fall, his superstitious friends probably finished him off.  Always keep in mind that in this third world country, if you are involved in an accident or even experience a medical trauma, there is an extremely high probability that you are going to be mistreated somewhere along the line.  

9 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

You make it sound like the male got a bit too cheeky, and the woman flipped out and jumped off a cliff.  Were you born yesterday in a bubble?  A healthy young woman is not going to jump off a cliff unless she is terribly threatened.   It sounds like she fought off her attacker, if he's got bruises.  Alternatively, he may have tried to go down the cliff to attack her some more.  If he had gone down to assist her, he would have said so loudly.     

He will be let off, and it pisses me off.  It's similar to the Dutch young lady who was roughly raped nearby a few years ago.  The Thai guy got taken to the police station, admitted it, then, after a night in jail, decided to deny it (or give some soggy excuse like "she asked for it") and then SURPRISE!!! was let off scot free by his police buddies.     

I like Krabi and Railey beach.  If I go there I'm going to carry a knife.  If I see any guy trying to rape a woman, I'm going to stick the knife up into one of his kidneys and twist it.

It was not stated whether she chose to jump off a cliff to escape.

More than likely she attempted to run and slipped.

If she actuslly thought jumping off a cliff was better than being raped then she has some responsibility for being in the condition she now is.

We neglected to print she was being harassed by a Thai that will never be charged. Krabi is a known protect the criminals location. Well a very sad outcome. If was my sister I be giving justice a new meaning. These Thais run around committing crimes knowing there justice system protects crims and punishes foreign visitors. Big hospital bills not covered by Thais. Enough is enough. There must be immediately reforms of Thai law. Not Prayut babbling stumbling and mumbling among his TV SHOW how good things are lol.

6 hours ago, SteveSamui6262 said:

A few words of caution:

An expat friend living here told me he was once watching out his restaurant window, observing a Thai male trimming tree branches while it was drizzling (rain).  The guy was up in the tree, barefoot, cutting branches.  Well, the branches were very wet, he was barefoot, and unfortunately he slipped and fell off the tree to the ground below.  

Moments later my friend further observed the injured victims friends rush to his side and they began vigorously shaking the injured man's body while he was laying on the ground!  My friend's Thai wife informed him "It's ok, they are trying to shake the bad spirits out of his body!  The bad spirits were the cause of the fall"!!

Asuming this guy sustained a spinal cord injury in the fall, his superstitious friends probably finished him off.  Always keep in mind that in this third world country, if you are involved in an accident or even experience a medical trauma, there is an extremely high probability that you are going to be mistreated somewhere along the line.  

in England a man waiting to be seen at hospital waited so long that when his turn came he had rigor mortis, newspaper today. 

7 hours ago, SteveSamui6262 said:

A few words of caution:

And the problem is not only superstition, it is also lack of knowledge, I work in a school and children quite regularly faint in the hot season during assembly, the way teachers instruct their friends to deal with it is to lift them to their feet and walk them around, something that will keep someone unconscious for longer, starve their brain of oxygen and potentially block their airway, it is dammed dangerous.  Whenever I see it happen I stop them and show them what to do, lie them on their back, tilt their head back and raise their feet, the problem being that even in a large institution such as a school, there isn't necessarily anyone who knows even basic first aid but plenty of people willing to give their two cents worth.

10 hours ago, performance said:

We neglected to print she was being harassed by a Thai that will never be charged. Krabi is a known protect the criminals location. Well a very sad outcome. If was my sister I be giving justice a new meaning. These Thais run around committing crimes knowing there justice system protects crims and punishes foreign visitors. Big hospital bills not covered by Thais. Enough is enough. There must be immediately reforms of Thai law. Not Prayut babbling stumbling and mumbling among his TV SHOW how good things are lol.

'These Thais'? This is their country, if you don't like it, go home. Recover well woman.

5 minutes ago, Patsycat said:

How terrifiying for this young lady to have had to lie there all night, especially as the bastard followed her down the cliff and attempted to assault her a second time when she was incapacitated.

Don't blame her,  any of you.

I feel terrible for this woman's experience especially after learning the guy climbed down to her and attacked her further...but that does not remove the fact she made some stupid decisions.

She makes the same mistake as seversl naive people on this forum who mistake a Utopian vision for reality. The locals practice "Jungle Rules" here in Thailand. 

Any further news on her recovery? 

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/american-tourist-falls-cliff-krabi-trying-flee-sexual-assault/

spinal cord injury according to this report but she would have known that already being paralyzed the whole night. Being sexually assaulted would have unfortunately probably been the better outcome compared to what she is about to go through for the rest of her life. This is just a horrific series of events

Archived