American woman fleeing sexual advances survives horror fall in Krabi

rooster59

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tourist falls off ravine during escape from sexual harassment

Salinee Prab
The Nation 

KRABI: -- A 23-year-old American tourist suffers spinal injuries falling down a ravine in Krabi while she was fleeing from an alleged sexual assault late Thursday night.

"There's hope for recovery, but it will take quite a long time," Dr Chaiyuth Sutheerayongprasert, a member of the team that operated on her spine at Bangkok Hospital Phuket, said yesterday.

She is receiving treatment at the surgical critical care unit.

She could move her hands normally but had limited mobility in her legs, he said.

She was in good spirits, considering the severity of her condition.

According to the Phuket Gazette, the man who attempted to molest her, identified as Apai Ruangwong, has been charged with committing obscene behaviour toward another person and causing serious injury.

"He said that he had known the victim for a day. He volunteered to walk her to her place, but couldn't stop himself from touching her inappropriately.

"The victim was frightened and ran away to escape him," Piyapong Boonkaew, superintendent of Ao Nang Police Station, told the Phuket Gazette.

Apai called rescue workers for his victim, who fell off the high cliff, the officer said.

It was only on Friday that rescue workers could reach her.

She was rushed to a local hospital and then transferred to Bangkok Hospital Phuket for surgery.

Her parents flew in from the United States to be with their daughter yesterday.

Doctors said the young American would have to be hospitalised at least seven more days before she could be transferred somewhere else.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Tourist-falls-off-ravine-during-escape-from-sexual-30294523.html

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-09-05

IF the story is to be believed then it was her attacker who called rescue workers for her but apparently did not assist in leading them to her location (which would have saved crucial hours). 

The photos here show no c-spine immobilization prior to getting her on a board.  

This story is really exposing the clash in cultural differemces between America and Thailand and sadly, this clash will only become more apparent to American readers when he only gets a slap on the wrist at sentencing. A quick google search shows seversl examples of young tourist women who have become victims of sexual assault and rape over just the past few years. Including one where the clinic called the doctor at home and he said he was sleeping and since the woman was not harmed (only raped) , he would just see her the next morning. 

Since this victim will not remain in Thailand any longer than medically necessary and not likely attend his trial and since the attacker will receive some sympathy since he allegedly is the one who called for a rescue and since his excuse he just couldn't keep his hands off her appears to be culturally "understood" and based on the outcome lenient sentencing of other rapes reported in the news, its pretty likely this attacker will be free to put this behind him and carry on with his life. Meanwhile, her life is forever handicapped.

Was the American woman traveling alone? Did none of her friends help at all? 

What is it about American (Western) culture that raises these naive young adults with such a childlike view of the world? Has survival instinct been so bred out of Americans? 

According to the Phuket Gazette, the man who attempted to molest her, identified as Apai Ruangwong, has been charged with committing obscene behaviour toward another person and causing serious injury.

Watered down charges, much?

There are some informative articles which can be googled and show that c-spine immobilization was not provided the victim before being placed on the " board" for evacuation. Her head is clearly shown to be flopping all over the place.

Although the real damage very likely occured as she was fending off her attacker several hours earlier as he attempted to assault her again after she fell 45 meters.

4 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

IF the story is to be believed then it was her attacker who called rescue workers for her but apparently did not assist in leading them to her location (which would have saved crucial hours). 

The photos here show no c-spine immobilization prior to getting her on a board.  

This story is really exposing the clash in cultural differemces between America and Thailand and sadly, this clash will only become more apparent to American readers when he only gets a slap on the wrist at sentencing. A quick google search shows seversl examples of young tourist women who have become victims of sexual assault and rape over just the past few years. Including one where the clinic called the doctor at home and he said he was sleeping and since the woman was not harmed (only raped) , he would just see her the next morning. 

Since this victim will not remain in Thailand any longer than medically necessary and not likely attend his trial and since the attacker will receive some sympathy since he allegedly is the one who called for a rescue and since his excuse he just couldn't keep his hands off her appears to be culturally "understood" and based on the outcome lenient sentencing of other rapes reported in the news, its pretty likely this attacker will be free to put this behind him and carry on with his life. Meanwhile, her life is forever handicapped.

Was the American woman traveling alone? Did none of her friends help at all? 

What is it about American (Western) culture that raises these naive young adults with such a childlike view of the world? Has survival instinct been so bred out of Americans? 

Well she probably is not the first tourist to come to Thailand and leave her Common Sense behind her, or stay out late and party and perhaps drink too much with no plan on getting home. A 23 year year old girl alone late at night with a long walk home in the dark on an isolated trial is never a good idea anywhere. Nor is trusting a stranger. 

Maybe it seems like I am blaming her and I don't mean to. She was a victim! I am just saying that I wish these kids would be more careful when they come here, and not more careless. She should have been able to make it home safely and report this guy to the Tourist Police, but by some unfortunate fluke accident, she ended up with a damaged spine. Sad! Really Sad!

I am not excusing his behaviour but at least he called for help, many in his position wouldn't have. It would seem she just panicked, with a little more maturity she may have been able to have handled the situation in a better way. Unfortunate incident but it looks as if she will recover and think twice in future about roaming around alone at night, it is sad that one has to think like that but even in cities like London a girl alone at night is vulnerable,there are a lot of animals out there.

It is what it is and what's done is done!  

Let's imagine an amazing recovery for this young traumatized woman and know that as expats living here we can offer suggestions, perspectives, and guidance for those who travel here and it only takes courage to outwardly express our concerns for our fellow Westerners in their journeys.    Remember all of the unwise decisions we have made in our journeys (I made a bunch and was guided by angels, fortunately) and perhaps we were at the right place and the right time to have someone assist us and maybe we were less fortunate like her.     We are all brothers and sisters here and it is essential to remember that and accept each other's guidance with discernment!

On 9/3/2016 at 1:47 PM, tandor said:

...the volunteers and rescue service do their best with what limited resources that are available..

Im sure the Thai government would appreciate greatly your extensive knowledge and skills..they will even give you a letter to allow you to do volunteer work with emergency services ie fire, police, emergency etc if you already have a RV/MV etc....eeeeehaaaah.

No, mate...They are bereft of knowledge and skills. Yes there are limited resources available, for volunteer rescue workers who usually turn up first at RTC's and other serious incidents. I tried to help at an RTC between KK and Korat once, and was told by the rescue mob that "not want farang. Thai can do." The obvious cervical spine injury they were extricating through the roof, by pulling him, would not have survived their treatment. Cowboys.

And yes I do have an extensive knowledge of these things, and the skills..27 years a city ambulance paramedic in Australia..Everything nasty that you could possibly imagine. I suppose we did have extensive drugs and fluids, but basic skills are the first priority.

No the Thai government will not  let me volunteer while i am on a retirement extension, even if i wanted to..and I don';t.

You apologists who paint a rosy picture of everything here, really get up my nose sometimes. Unless you DO know what you're talking about, then think twice before attacking someone who does.

5 hours ago, johnnysunshine said:

It is what it is and what's done is done!  

Let's imagine an amazing recovery for this young traumatized woman and know that as expats living here we can offer suggestions, perspectives, and guidance for those who travel here and it only takes courage to outwardly express our concerns for our fellow Westerners in their journeys.    Remember all of the unwise decisions we have made in our journeys (I made a bunch and was guided by angels, fortunately) and perhaps we were at the right place and the right time to have someone assist us and maybe we were less fortunate like her.     We are all brothers and sisters here and it is essential to remember that and accept each other's guidance with discernment!

It is a nice thought but if you ever tried to help the newcomers you will likely get a "<deleted> Buddy" for your troubles.

A lot of them are just born arrogant knowalls and refuse to listen as they are usually the ones giving the (usually rather sStupid) advice.

Ii have at often at times gently told people they might want to rethink their course of action only to find that doing so only makes them more determined.

Strangely, when something is actually safe and legit and you tell them no problem, they are actually overcautious to the point of paranoia!

Cant put brains in statues unfortunately

...'alleged assault' now......???

...!@#$%^&*(....

...look at that primitive life form....

...but....'bad for tourism' to say so....

...and after all....'us and them'..........

...when will our governments start to say anything....???

1 minute ago, performance said:

I prefer not to say much. But these vermin in this place praying on tourists. Sorry Prayut but your wrong man for the job. A joker playing cards send sipping Somtum under the comforts of aircon. To many rubbish outside country trips a d no reform attempts in your own circus. Punish these rats to the extreme. Best thing a tourist can do is carry a tazer. The Thai gets off light and destroyed a life. Some of you are playing nice. Sorry this Thai rat needs to fixed. A germ. Your so lucky if was my sister I remove your internals. Just scum.

Genersl Prayut is supposed to stop an act of attempted rape before it happens? 

That would make a great zhollywood movie...we could get Tom Cruise to star.

lets call it something like "Minority Report". :thumbsup:

On 9/3/2016 at 9:13 PM, boomerangutang said:

You make it sound like the male got a bit too cheeky, and the woman flipped out and jumped off a cliff.  Were you born yesterday in a bubble?  A healthy young woman is not going to jump off a cliff unless she is terribly threatened.   It sounds like she fought off her attacker, if he's got bruises.  Alternatively, he may have tried to go down the cliff to attack her some more.  If he had gone down to assist her, he would have said so loudly.     

He will be let off, and it pisses me off.  It's similar to the Dutch young lady who was roughly raped nearby a few years ago.  The Thai guy got taken to the police station, admitted it, then, after a night in jail, decided to deny it (or give some soggy excuse like "she asked for it") and then SURPRISE!!! was let off scot free by his police buddies.     

I like Krabi and Railey beach.  If I go there I'm going to carry a knife.  If I see any guy trying to rape a woman, I'm going to stick the knife up into one of his kidneys and twist it.

On 9/3/2016 at 9:33 PM, MissAndry said:

Or they know that there is a paper trail leading back to you, if you were to dare anything.

Quite frankly I'm surprised you are foolish enough to go anywhere with a single young woman, you are endangering yourself, and opening yourself to the risk of accusations.

Not to mention you have just admitted to breaking the law as only Thais are entitled to work as guides. I wouldn't want to be alone with a self confessed criminal.

Are you for real?  You sound like a cardboard cut-out with low quality shellac. 

Just to put things in perspective:  I've interacted with thousands of backpacker farang in past years.  All of them either very good or great times, usually outdoors doing strenuous activities like rock climbing, planting trees, singing songs, etc.   If you've got a problem with that, then you probably also hate sunsets, puppies and a tall glass of cool water after a 3 hour trek.

On 9/3/2016 at 9:44 PM, ClutchClark said:

Bottom line this woman should have had more common sense than to go out alone with a strange male in a foreign land in a remote place at midnight. 

No Thai woman in her right mind would ever consider something so stupid.

Hindsight is so convenient, isn't it.  I know many stories of Thai women doing things just as risky or riskier.  Would you like to hear some true stories?  Didn't think so.   

On 9/3/2016 at 9:05 AM, lahgon29 said:

On 9/3/2016 at 1:47 PM, tandor said:

...the volunteers and rescue service do their best with what limited resources that are available..

Im sure the Thai government would appreciate greatly your extensive knowledge and skills..they will even give you a letter to allow you to do volunteer work with emergency services ie fire, police, emergency etc if you already have a RV/MV etc....eeeeehaaaah.

No, mate...They are bereft of knowledge and skills. Yes there are limited resources available, for volunteer rescue workers who usually turn up first at RTC's and other serious incidents. I tried to help at an RTC between KK and Korat once, and was told by the rescue mob that "not want farang. Thai can do." The obvious cervical spine injury they were extricating through the roof, by pulling him, would not have survived their treatment. Cowboys.

And yes I do have an extensive knowledge of these things, and the skills..27 years a city ambulance paramedic in Australia..Everything nasty that you could possibly imagine. I suppose we did have extensive drugs and fluids, but basic skills are the first priority.

No the Thai government will not  let me volunteer while i am on a retirement extension, even if i wanted to..and I don';t.

You apologists who paint a rosy picture of everything here, really get up my nose sometimes. Unless you DO know what you're talking about, then think twice before attacking someone who does.

Nobody is attacking anyone except the alleged sex offender....and yes i do have extensive experience as an emergency worker..and yes you can do some approved volunteer work with a RV/MV and WP..i worked as a volunteer for 7 years here under these arrangements..so go knock on some doors and introduce yourself...so if you do not wish to do anything best follow the Thai Rescue Workers advice and keep out of it..up to you.

As frustrating as it can be, you are not going to change anything in a country that is not your own..still stop and render assistance..that is your moral obligation as a road user and someone interested in assisting the sick and injured..but be prepared for rebuttal.

Strange that there is no quote from the local cop shop commander blaming her for her own assault, saying she made it quite clear she wanted rough sex with Mr Apai on the way home. I guess he hasn't read the police manual on rape cases involving foreign women yet. Perhaps he can ask Scotland Yard to forward a copy of their manual, since they use the same textbooks.

The day after the incident, I surmised that the attacker went down to further molest the now-injured woman, though there was no mention of that occurring in the first day's report.   However, the 2nd day's follow-up report mentioned that he did indeed go down the hill to molest her.  She bit his ear.  

It's commendable that the would-be rapist reported the injured woman to cops when he could.  If not, she would probably have died and be eaten by ants.   I predict Thai cops will take the would-be rapist's report (and other things) as mitigating factors, in their zeal to let him off easy.  I hope I'm wrong.

3 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

The day after the incident, I surmised that the attacker went down to further molest the now-injured woman, though there was no mention of that occurring in the first day's report.   However, the 2nd day's follow-up report mentioned that he did indeed go down the hill to molest her.  She bit his ear.  

It's commendable that the would-be rapist reported the injured woman to cops when he could.  If not, she would probably have died and be eaten by ants.   I predict Thai cops will take the would-be rapist's report (and other things) as mitigating factors, in their zeal to let him off easy.  I hope I'm wrong.

I have not read anything about her traveling with friends so it is very likely what you say. No one may have observed her missing for several days and then where would they even know where to start looking? Obviously she could not crawl out with her injuries. 

Her attacker caused her to be in this mess but it is possibly correct he then saved her life by reporting it. Although the article indicated he did not assist searchers in finding the woman..he did not lead them to her and this accounted for seversl more hours of her not receiving medical care.

Archived