Zika virus could be coming your way

cyberfarang

I think you are going to be OK on this one.

From the UK NHS - "Zika virus disease is mainly spread by mosquitoes. For most people it is a very mild infection and isn't harmful.

However, it may be more serious for pregnant women, as there's evidence it causes birth defects – in particular, abnormally small heads (microcephaly)".

The possible unpleasant side-effects mainly affect pregnant women (I'm assuming you don't fit into this category?). But I think it's a good idea to try and avoid or quickly treat all mosquito bites and the risk of malaria, dengue fever and yellow fever.

Regards,

Joe

Well the Government Health Department seems

very nonchalant  about it ,dont worry seems to

be their message,but this virus seems to be 

spreading around the World,it may be relatively

mild for everyone except pregnant women,but

Viruses mutate,and a harmless one today,tomorrow

could be a killer.

regards worgeordie

I think it's a good idea to worry about the Zika Virus because we don't have nearly enough things to worry about, and besides, worrying about things is a very effective way to deal with them. Just think how many different things we've been able to fix by worrying...

... said no rational being ever.

1 hour ago, Shoeless Joe said:

Worgeordie said..."Viruses mutate,and a harmless one today, tomorrow could be a killer".

Any evidence for saying that (beyond a sci-fi film or book)?

Or just being optimistic?

Regards,

Joe

FAQ: How viruses mutate. More than 100 people have died in Mexico as a result of an outbreak of swine flu, a strain of the influenza virus that normally targets pigs but has occasionally mutated enough to infect and spread in humans.27 Apr 2009

Thats just one example of how Viruses mutate.so not Sci-Fi.

regards worgeordie

Well at least with the  Zika threat we have moved on from terrorists and the chances of being blown up in CM while shopping.
Obviousy avoiding mosquitoe bites is sensible but nearly impossible unless you want to stay inside.

We garden at dusk, when its not so hot, and take precautions but its not 100% effective and we get bitten all year round..

2 reports of Zika, in San Sai, pales in comparison to the Dengue out break a few years back when Hang Dong Hospital for one was packed with kids suffering the effects as was my Doctors waiting room.

But Zika is now the media buzz word "Bird Flu" was another headline way back.Frankly after driving around on CM roads this weekend, avoiding the maniacs, the chances of contracting Zika is the least of my worries

Microcephaly has been rampant here for ages..........it's just the version here allows for a near normal cranial development. After you have been here awhile you kind of become adept at recognizing the inflicted.

14 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Well at least with the  Zika threat we have moved on from terrorists and the chances of being blown up in CM while shopping.
Obviousy avoiding mosquitoe bites is sensible but nearly impossible unless you want to stay inside.

We garden at dusk, when its not so hot, and take precautions but its not 100% effective and we get bitten all year round..

2 reports of Zika, in San Sai, pales in comparison to the Dengue out break a few years back when Hang Dong Hospital for one was packed with kids suffering the effects as was my Doctors waiting room.

But Zika is now the media buzz word "Bird Flu" was another headline way back.Frankly after driving around on CM roads this weekend, avoiding the maniacs, the chances of contracting Zika is the least of my worries

As the virus becomes more established, outbreaks will become more severe comparable with dengue. The impact microcephaly and other complications in brain development of babies could have on society should not be down played.

I had that bird flu thing, H5N1. Did not even realize it, only after my wife went to the hospital and got tested positive for what appeared to be a bit cold sick.

Zika outbreaks help only one, or two, the pharma industry and governments to try to screw us more. 

The local natives seem somewhat concerned (including the Chiang Mai Provincial Public Health Office) as there have been a number of lengthy Thai language announcements on radio and tv and internet and print media.  Most are using the umbrella term Flavivirus rather than Zika specifically.  This was posted on Friday and additions made earlier today.  Call me paranoid but spraying in a bedroom? (at least the bedding is off) as one photo shows is a bit of a concern given the deaths at the old Downtown Inn.

http://www.cm108.com/bbb/topic/1221-มีคลิปนายแพทย์สาธารณสุขจังหวัดเชียงใหม่ย้ำผู้ป่วยไวรัสซิกาหายแล้ว/

It really all depends on when those genetically modified Mosquitoes are imported to your area

It isn't the Zika to be scared of, but the introduced-mosquitos,

- modified to be infertile, which are the carriers of the DNA modifiying dangers

The 2 cases of zika in San Sai last week were ANOTHER 2 cases, I think it brings it up to 9 or 10.  I was reading the Straights Times last week where I saw the first case reported, and the cases there have gone from 1 to almost 250 today, all in less than a week, which is a little alarming given that the numbers have multiplied so quickly, but that seems to be a real hotspot at the moment, and hopefully we won't see the same thing here.

On the subject, but totally unrelated to any nasty diseases though..... We are on the 6th floor, have flyscreens, and I could probably count on my hands the number of mozzies we've had inside the condo in the last two and a half years.  In the last month or so, we've had quite literally dozens.  Very small ones as opposed to the usual sized ones, and when they bite it's just a little bit itchy for 10 minutes or so then it seems to go, unlike regular bites which come up in a noticeable welt and drive you crazy for hours.  Has anyone else noticed this?

12 hours ago, mamborobert said:

The local natives seem somewhat concerned (including the Chiang Mai Provincial Public Health Office) as there have been a number of lengthy Thai language announcements on radio and tv and internet and print media.  Most are using the umbrella term Flavivirus rather than Zika specifically.  This was posted on Friday and additions made earlier today.  Call me paranoid but spraying in a bedroom? (at least the bedding is off) as one photo shows is a bit of a concern given the deaths at the old Downtown Inn.

http://www.cm108.com/bbb/topic/1221-มีคลิปนายแพทย์สาธารณสุขจังหวัดเชียงใหม่ย้ำผู้ป่วยไวรัสซิกาหายแล้ว/

Wow

That brings back memories

Did no know about it till we returned home

Was actually there when the first death occurred

The manager was telling her supervisor to stop talking to us

As they were trying to take the body down the fire escape

It was rumoured that they were spraying for bed bugs

Too much chemicals probably used

Lucky we did not stay on that side of the building

Otherwise good bye charlie

I guess all we can do is try to be prepared to keep the mozzies away from us

I guess it just luck of the draw to be unlucky to contact this disease