A Small Price to Pay for a Different Kind of Life

camerata

I've always wondered about the ascetic practices of traditional Japanese Buddhism, which seemed to be more about "Japanese spirit" than Buddhism, but here is the experience of a Westerner.

A Small Price to Pay for a Different Kind of Life

On the third day of this training, as I was about to pour the water over myself, I had an epiphany. It hit me with crystal clarity. I was faced with a trichotomy; the future forked into three branches. I could spend the next ninety-seven days in a state of high concentration all my waking hours, spend them in abject misery, or give up and fail to complete my commitment. The choice was obvious.

When I completed the hundred-day training, it was the spring of a new year, and I had a new self. I had entered the crucible (or should I say cryostat?) of the traditional Shingon training and had come out a different person. From that time on, I was able to consciously experience the taste of high concentration whenever I wanted to. One hundred days subtracted from my life were really a very small price to pay in order to live a totally different kind of life.

Full story: Lion's Roar

• 4 weeks later...

Totally based on my perceptions (or misconceptions), I feel that Japanese Buddhist practice is as good as it can get.

I base this on the stereotypical Japanese persona of being Punctual, Hard Working, Polite, Kind, Respectful, Intelligent & Withdrawn.

Many of the characteristics required to make inroads to developing regular, faithful practice, for without practice there is no path.

I find life is a battle in overcoming our deeply rooted habits, in many ways our Kharma.

Our regular acts, rooted in habit (kharma) will shape our destined Vipaka coming our way.

Ultimately, Awakening is to do with letting go, dropping attachment, but initially we need to build deep levels of concentration through faithful regular practice.

The Japanese persona spawned the Samurai.

To be an accomplished Samurai, one must dedicate daily life to practice, and to totally abandon attachment to fear, and other restraints.

Approaching Buddhist practice with such dedication would definitely propel one well along the path.

In terms of "a dawn of a new life after one hundred days", I suspect this might be tainted with a touch of Ego, and perhaps coined to attract readers to this publication.

Life has many tentacles waiting to drag someone straight back into their deeply rooted attachments, wiping away any inroads.

Shinzens solace, he's surrounded by guides (Japanese), who in my estimation, are second to none.

Unfortunately, the Japanese spirit and penchant for extreme endeavour and asceticism often sent them in the wrong direction, such as self-mummification, years of running round Mt Hiei, and teaching samurai how to utilise Buddhist teachings for killing.

On 29/09/2016 at 1:21 PM, camerata said:

Unfortunately, the Japanese spirit and penchant for extreme endeavour and asceticism often sent them in the wrong direction, such as self-mummification, years of running round Mt Hiei, and teaching samurai how to utilise Buddhist teachings for killing.

Yes, it is unfortunate.

Every traveler will have a local flavour to their conditioning.

Archived