BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Phuket driver charged for fatal collision after running red light

Phuket driver charged for fatal collision after running red light

Eakkapop Thongtub

1473052556_1-org.jpg

Watthana Eakbuth, 57, was legally turning right when he was struck by the CRV. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- Police have charged the 40-year-old driver of a Honda CRV who ran a red light in front of Baan Chalong School, on Chao Fa West Rd, on Saturday (Sept 3), inflicting fatal injuries on a motorbike driver who was legally turning right across the CRV’s southbound lane.

Lt Chanat Hongsitthichaikul of the Chalong Police, who responded to the incident, told The Phuket News, “I met the CRV driver at the scene. The driver did not flee, as reported by some media.”

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-driver-charged-for-fatal-collision-after-running-red-light-58978.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-09-05

Well if the driver didn't flee then he deserves a reduction in sentence....

The guy on the bike didn't even seem to notice that he was just about to hit a big shiny white object !!!

RIP

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

Well if the driver didn't flee then he deserves a reduction in sentence....

The guy on the bike didn't even seem to notice that he was just about to hit a big shiny white object !!!

RIP

he should be given a deterrent sentence for taking an innocent man's life. was he in that much of a hurry that he had to beat a red light.

54 minutes ago, sahibji said:

he should be given a deterrent sentence for taking an innocent man's life. was he in that much of a hurry that he had to beat a red light.

My comment was slightly tongue in cheek...

Of course he should be sentenced for vehicular manslaughter..

Though a crash helmet might have helped the guy on the bike, not to mention that it's the law !!

Those traffic lights at this junction are appalling. I wouldn't be too quick to judge that car. There is no amber on the northbound side (where the bikes were waiting), just 3 or 4 seconds of blank. And have been missing for well over a year! In this country, with amber gamblers (or blank gamblers in this case), its a dangerous mix. Plus it's on a sweeping bend coming southbound (where the car came from) its nearly caught me out on a number of occasions faced with no lights at all then suddenly becoming red.  The timing of the light changes is also terrible. I don't know for sure, but i think because of the missing amber, both red and green appear to turn on at the same time in opposite directions. I notice all the other bikes didn't even attempt to turn right at the same time that poor soul did. Tells you something. Install a dash cam to prove your innocence is my advice.

2 hours ago, Caveat Emptor said:

In some countries a defence lawyer would have a field day with the mayor having posted this on social media.

Apparently also local residents didn't like it. They got mad at the mayor for having posted the video clip.

Chalong Mayor Samran Jindapon on Saturday posted on social media a CCTV clip showing the accident, sparking outrage among local residents.

22 minutes ago, SOTIRIOS said:

....'charged'....???

....charged with what exactly....???

...the fact that they have intentionally NOT identified the driver.....begs the question.....

Well, if you had read the article instead of just the headline, you would know the answer to your question.

They may have been outraged that the driver ignored the red light and killed someone, not mad that the mayor posted the video Could read it either way due to the wonderful reporting which doesn't make it clear.

38 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

They may have been outraged that the driver ignored the red light and killed someone, not mad that the mayor posted the video Could read it either way due to the wonderful reporting which doesn't make it clear.

Agree, the reporting is not clear, but the outrage was: aimed at the driver.

I was knocked off my motorbike in an identical manner to this around 10 years ago in Nakhon Pathom. The driver didn't stop but sped off. There were around 20 to 25 vehicles around the intersection and a number of pedestrians. Nobody offered to help. Nobody got the number of the pick-up truck. Nobody chased it. Everybody gawped. I was fortunate not to be killed. The pick-up hit my front wheel. I was inches from death. My ankle is slightly arthritic as a result. I should count my blessings, I suppose.

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

I was knocked off my motorbike in an identical manner to this around 10 years ago in Nakhon Pathom.

So lesson learned , never ride a bike in Thailand, too dangerous . Cars are much safer. 

2 hours ago, balo said:

So lesson learned , never ride a bike in Thailand, too dangerous . Cars are much safer. 

Thank you for your didactic post. Clearly I didn't take heed of your hindsight-tinged knowledge as I have racked up another 100,000 km without incident.

I look forward to your further teachings.