Phuket driver charged for fatal collision after running red light

webfact

Phuket driver charged for fatal collision after running red light

Eakkapop Thongtub

1473052556_1-org.jpg

Watthana Eakbuth, 57, was legally turning right when he was struck by the CRV. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- Police have charged the 40-year-old driver of a Honda CRV who ran a red light in front of Baan Chalong School, on Chao Fa West Rd, on Saturday (Sept 3), inflicting fatal injuries on a motorbike driver who was legally turning right across the CRV’s southbound lane.

Lt Chanat Hongsitthichaikul of the Chalong Police, who responded to the incident, told The Phuket News, “I met the CRV driver at the scene. The driver did not flee, as reported by some media.”

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-driver-charged-for-fatal-collision-after-running-red-light-58978.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-09-05

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

Well if the driver didn't flee then he deserves a reduction in sentence....

The guy on the bike didn't even seem to notice that he was just about to hit a big shiny white object !!!

RIP

he should be given a deterrent sentence for taking an innocent man's life. was he in that much of a hurry that he had to beat a red light.

54 minutes ago, sahibji said:

he should be given a deterrent sentence for taking an innocent man's life. was he in that much of a hurry that he had to beat a red light.

My comment was slightly tongue in cheek...

Of course he should be sentenced for vehicular manslaughter..

Though a crash helmet might have helped the guy on the bike, not to mention that it's the law !!

Those traffic lights at this junction are appalling. I wouldn't be too quick to judge that car. There is no amber on the northbound side (where the bikes were waiting), just 3 or 4 seconds of blank. And have been missing for well over a year! In this country, with amber gamblers (or blank gamblers in this case), its a dangerous mix. Plus it's on a sweeping bend coming southbound (where the car came from) its nearly caught me out on a number of occasions faced with no lights at all then suddenly becoming red.  The timing of the light changes is also terrible. I don't know for sure, but i think because of the missing amber, both red and green appear to turn on at the same time in opposite directions. I notice all the other bikes didn't even attempt to turn right at the same time that poor soul did. Tells you something. Install a dash cam to prove your innocence is my advice.

2 hours ago, Caveat Emptor said:

In some countries a defence lawyer would have a field day with the mayor having posted this on social media.

Apparently also local residents didn't like it. They got mad at the mayor for having posted the video clip.

Chalong Mayor Samran Jindapon on Saturday posted on social media a CCTV clip showing the accident, sparking outrage among local residents.

22 minutes ago, SOTIRIOS said:

....'charged'....???

....charged with what exactly....???

...the fact that they have intentionally NOT identified the driver.....begs the question.....

Well, if you had read the article instead of just the headline, you would know the answer to your question.

38 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

They may have been outraged that the driver ignored the red light and killed someone, not mad that the mayor posted the video Could read it either way due to the wonderful reporting which doesn't make it clear.

Agree, the reporting is not clear, but the outrage was: aimed at the driver.

I was knocked off my motorbike in an identical manner to this around 10 years ago in Nakhon Pathom. The driver didn't stop but sped off. There were around 20 to 25 vehicles around the intersection and a number of pedestrians. Nobody offered to help. Nobody got the number of the pick-up truck. Nobody chased it. Everybody gawped. I was fortunate not to be killed. The pick-up hit my front wheel. I was inches from death. My ankle is slightly arthritic as a result. I should count my blessings, I suppose.

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

I was knocked off my motorbike in an identical manner to this around 10 years ago in Nakhon Pathom.

So lesson learned , never ride a bike in Thailand, too dangerous . Cars are much safer. 

2 hours ago, balo said:

So lesson learned , never ride a bike in Thailand, too dangerous . Cars are much safer. 

Thank you for your didactic post. Clearly I didn't take heed of your hindsight-tinged knowledge as I have racked up another 100,000 km without incident.

I look forward to your further teachings.

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

Clearly I didn't take heed of your hindsight-tinged knowledge as I have racked up another 100,000 km without incident.

Good and very brave of you I think, I would be too scared to try it here in Thailand.  I hope you wear a helmet to protect you just in case.   

17 hours ago, gravity101 said:

Those traffic lights at this junction are appalling. I wouldn't be too quick to judge that car. There is no amber on the northbound side (where the bikes were waiting), just 3 or 4 seconds of blank. And have been missing for well over a year! In this country, with amber gamblers (or blank gamblers in this case), its a dangerous mix. Plus it's on a sweeping bend coming southbound (where the car came from) its nearly caught me out on a number of occasions faced with no lights at all then suddenly becoming red.  The timing of the light changes is also terrible. I don't know for sure, but i think because of the missing amber, both red and green appear to turn on at the same time in opposite directions. I notice all the other bikes didn't even attempt to turn right at the same time that poor soul did. Tells you something. Install a dash cam to prove your innocence is my advice.

I have gone through when it was not clear I should stop. Once I understood there was a fault in the lights I always stop. The SUV driver tried  his best to avoid a collision but will now be penalised because of a faulty traffic light. It is sad someone had to die but don't forget the SUV driver will live with it forever.

Hopefully the lights will be fixed but should have been done a long time ago. The traffic light concessionaire needs to be hauled up over this.

The inference the driver was running a red light could be blatantly wrong as he may have run a blank light. Another part of the report said he went under the CRV but the video showed he was tossed aside.

>> The traffic light concessionaire needs to be hauled up over this.

Unfortunately there seems to be little responsibility here when it comes to government offices and officials.  How many open drains, non working lights etc. can be spotted on the island at any one time where they could be cause for a serious accident/death?  

33 minutes ago, Valentine said:

I have gone through when it was not clear I should stop. Once I understood there was a fault in the lights I always stop. The SUV driver tried  his best to avoid a collision but will now be penalised because of a faulty traffic light. It is sad someone had to die but don't forget the SUV driver will live with it forever.

Hopefully the lights will be fixed but should have been done a long time ago. The traffic light concessionaire needs to be hauled up over this.

The inference the driver was running a red light could be blatantly wrong as he may have run a blank light. Another part of the report said he went under the CRV but the video showed he was tossed aside.

I have never had any issues at that light. Could there have been a problem? Sure, but others did stop, I find it much more likely he did not want to stop.

This Case, may be the typical first, to not have the 'drivers'face on social media,

but in the seemed circumstances, the authorities wouldn't display the face, 

as they still have to be careful to save their own faces,

in case the (no amber light showing),

works against THEM

A post has been removed, if you wish your post to remain do not swear to get your point across then try to hide it with hieroglyphics, this is not appreciated by other members.

Also be advised disrespecting other members is against forum rules.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

52 minutes ago, steelepulse said:

>> The traffic light concessionaire needs to be hauled up over this.

Unfortunately there seems to be little responsibility here when it comes to government offices and officials.  How many open drains, non working lights etc. can be spotted on the island at any one time where they could be cause for a serious accident/death?  

But usually someone puts a tree branch in an open drain or large hole.

9 hours ago, stevenl said:

I have never had any issues at that light. Could there have been a problem? Sure, but others did stop, I find it much more likely he did not want to stop.

There was a power cut in Kamala this afternoon, and another one a short while ago. The traffic lights were off- the normal course of action seemed to be:

a) Apply 4 way flashers.

B) Accelerate (given the conditions this afternoon it was not the brightest move). (Note: this is supposed to be 'b' not a smiley).

c) Use horn if vehicle in front had the temerity to slow down and see if jcn was safe.

d) No sign of the cops to do traffic management as it was raining.

Archived