Passengers run for their lives as tour bus destroyed in flames

webfact

Passengers run for their lives as tour bus destroyed in flames

p5.jpg

Image: Sanook

CHIANG MAI: -- Forty passengers on a tour bus had a lucky escape after their vehicle burst into flames on the Chiang Mai to Lampang Road.

The bus was going up the Doi Khun Tan hill and suffered a rear puncture that caused a fire. It quickly spread as the passengers returning to Lampang after a training program in Chiang Mai - ran for their lives.

The bus belonged to Petch Jinda Tour. A five kilometer tailback was caused on the road from the site of the accident in Mae Tha district of Lamphun.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-06

38 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

A rear puncture caused the fire? Something sounds a bit odd on that.... note to self: pack some weenies and marshmallows before next trip, just in case.

Most bus and truck tires blow out like a bomb from high temperatures and the tire being underinflated.  Steel in the tread when there is sudden deflation blows out shrapnel and can puncture fuel lines and other tires.

I believe tires in Thailand are not steel rimmed.

also I have noticed so many times that many busses with the 4 wheel rear sets have a single tire. The 4 wheel rear axels should have 8 tires but many of the very rear axels only have 2 one each side. The dus company's take this tire off to save rubber wear and fuel.

I think Shaurene must do more homework when it comes to heavy vehicles  axels and wheels before he comment things. It is many years ago busses and trucks got a new configuration on the rear axels. Today there are at least 3 different systems. Single axel with 2 wheels on each side. Dual axel with 2 wheels on each side on each axel ( 8 wheels total) and dual axel with 2 wheels on each side on the first axel and 1 wheel on each side on the second axel. Today you will also find trucks with 3 rear axels. The 2 first with 2 wheels on each side and the third with 1 wheel on each side. The third axel will often also be with passiv steering.

His last comment about saving rubber, wear and fuel is probably wrong given the same load on the rear of the vehicle. If you take away 2 wheels you will get increased wear and friction on the remaining wheels and probably no savings. Maybe even an increase due to overload on the remaining wheels.

Carerra

On 9/6/2016 at 2:50 AM, clockman said:

It looks like one of those death trap, too high too narrow. Thai built rubbish. All bright colours and glitz. Avoid like the plague.

Interesting and I think very believable.  I can believe thin and flimsy construction.  Who does make the buses in Thailand?  I had naively thought they were all imported from some other country.  Of course that doesn't mean they bought good quality busses.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived