What's the best VPN in Thailand?

Sorenson

I was wondering if anyone of you could recommend me a VPN service? I may travel to Thailand soon, so I will need a VPN. In my country, I use mobile data but as a traveler, I will have to rely on public WiFi networks, which are insecure. Hence, I will need a VPN to secure my data. I have heard about many VPN providers but I need the most honest recommendations from the people who live in Thailand or who have VPN in Thailand and it should be easy to use and effective. People also mention how many devices I can use with that VPN?

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where do you want your VPN to come out?

I use StrongVPN (from about a $ a week) with multiple host countries, I also use an Amazon VPN that come out in Singapore (provided by an employer) and my own VPN to the Netherlands (part of my seedbox) all work well enough.

If you want security avoid the free VPNs, there really is no such thing as a free lunch.

I live in Hong Kong and make routine trips to countries like Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and Cambodia. While it is faster and more secure than any other VPN I've purchased till now, what made me continue with Ivacy VPN is that it allows me 5 multiple logins so that I can use it simultaneously on 5 different devices such as my business AND personal smartphone, laptop, and PC! And for the premium service it provides, Ivacy is remarkably light on the pocket at just $1.66 a month!

On 9/6/2016 at 6:25 PM, Adrian Hunt3r said:

I live in Hong Kong and make routine trips to countries like Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and Cambodia. While it is faster and more secure than any other VPN I've purchased till now, what made me continue with Ivacy VPN is that it allows me 5 multiple logins so that I can use it simultaneously on 5 different devices such as my business AND personal smartphone, laptop, and PC! And for the premium service it provides, Ivacy is remarkably light on the pocket at just $1.66 a month!

What do  you mean by "....more secure than any other VPN..."?  The "VPN protocol/encryption" is what makes a VPN connection secure; not any particular VPN Service Provider you have signed up with.   

Now if you mean Ivacy supposedly doesn't keep any records of your connections/activity, well, a lot of VPN service providers say the same thing.  Whether it's really true or not is another story.

I have used most of the VPN services, free and fee, but was always changing for one reason or another. I eventually settled on ExpressVPN which is a premium service - $12.95 per month. However it can be used on both my laptop and iPhone / has multiple servers all over the world (handy for when you need or want a local IP address) / has very strong security features (is one of the very few VPN's still working in China) and very easy to launch and very reliable. I notice no reduction in download speeds so it's an excellent service. Most would balk at the price but it's money well spent, IMHO.

I'm over in Thailand at moment and use IPVanish......I pay an annual fee of about $75-$80 and can be used on multiple devices (inc mobile phones). Been using it for about 3 years now. Besides security main reason I use a VPN is that I can connect via a VPN in the UK and therefore use UK services such as Radio, TV, Movie and Betting sites over the internet which tend to be blocked if they see an IP address from outside UK.

I have also used HideMyAss (HMA) in the past which now comes bundled with AVG PRO if you wish to go the whole cyber security route. At the time I used it, several years back it had a few bugs that caused my connection to drop a lot whilst in Thailand. I would assume they have corrected this as AVG would not have taken them on otherwise

10 hours ago, Pib said:

What do  you mean by "....more secure than any other VPN..."?  The "VPN protocol/encryption" is what makes a VPN connection secure; not any particular VPN Service Provider you have signed up with.   

Now if you mean Ivacy supposedly doesn't keep any records of your connections/activity, well, a lot of VPN service providers say the same thing.  Whether it's really true or not is another story.

Actually the provider is very important as many keep logs ect... so on a legal point of view if you do a lot of P2P

they could trace you that's why I do business with Nord Vpn based in Panama they are under no regulation and don't 

keep any logs.

On 9/6/2016 at 6:10 PM, sulasno said:

Opera VPN is free and good

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

There are lots of different ways and reasons different people need and use VPNs.

Some just want to secure their internet usage when using public wifi sites, where any basic VPN ought to do fine. Others want to stream video from their home or other countries, where speed and choice of IP locations is more important. Still others are into torrenting downloads, where anonymity and speed might be most important.

The OP didn't exactly say what exactly he wanted to use the VPN for. But if it's just for securing general internet usage when using public wifi sites, the relatively recently launched free Opera VPN service (done by the same people behind the Opera browser) is an interesting choice. Works in the Opera browser and in their Android app. No IDs or other financial info required, no data or time use limits. Limited choice of IP locations including the U.S. I've tried it some here recently and it appears to operate fine for general use.

But if I was looking for a VPN to handle video streaming or torrenting, I'd look to one of the paid services, unfortunately, of which there are many many, too many to easily get a handle on. $5 or so per month for a year's subscription plan is a reasonable price, and there are good services available at that range of price. AirVPN, TorGuard and Mullvad are among the paid services that often get good user comments.

3 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Check Tunnel Bear vpn. http://www.pcmag.com/review/346257/tunnelbear-vpn

Free for max 500 MB/mo, otherwise pay plans.

URL cited also covers other vpn's.

Tunnel Bear is another of the pretty well established (quasi) free services, so long as you don't exceed their free monthly data limit.

Works fine as a basic VPN, but when I've used the free version in the past in Thailand, it was pretty much too slow for video streaming or much in the way of downloading.

On September 6, 2016 at 4:10 AM, sulasno said:

Opera VPN is free and good

Opera is a cross-platform browser which now includes VPN for Web-surfing only. No other applications, such as torrent clients are protected.

Good paid VPNs, through which all one's Internet traffic is concealed, have servers in multiple countries to get you the fastest speeds. There is, of course, a noticeable speed decrease.

I use Private Internet Access which is regularly updated (but US-based, if that's a concern) and a buddy uses Boleh based in Malaysia. Both are about $5/month.

What you want for your protection is a VPN which retains no user logs. Check best VPNs from TorrentFreak. Eventually, the copyright crazies will get to Thailand!

8 hours ago, Roota said:

A vote for BlackVPN, a favorite in the journo community.

Couldn't find this, search came up with Buffered VPN. 

1 minute ago, facthailand said:

Opera is a cross-platform browser which now includes VPN for Web-surfing only. No other applications, such as torrent clients are protected.

I believe that's correct as for the VPN capability of the Opera browser when used on a computer.

But the Opera VPN Android app covers all activity on your mobile phone or tablet, and is a separate VPN app apart from the Opera browser app itself.

Opera VPN also has an iOS app. I use it on both iPhone and iPad. It is stupid simple, it works, and it is free.

It also bundles an ad blocker and a tracker blocker. Evidently it works, as wired.com complains every time that I access their site that they need me to turn off my ad blocker. I ignore them. So far, no problem.

Netflix (Thailand) does not work with the Opera VPN enabled. When I set it to USA settings, the Netflix service offers me USA movies. This worked until last month, when it suddenly complained that I was using a VPN and it refused to continue playing a movie. When I disabled the VPN and tried to resume, Netflix refused to continue playing the movie, as it was apparently not available in Thailand. Grrrrr.....

I am under no illusions that Opera would tell FVEY to take a hike, but then, I engage in no illegality on the net.

ETA: The Opera VPN app is a mobile-only app. There is no standalone app for desktop computers, as Opera wants you to use their browser, which bundles the capability. I wish that they would make a computer app as well, as I am supremely satisfied with its functioning on my iPad and iPhone. 

One more thing: I encountered an incompatibility with the VPN when using a Thai banking service. I had to uninstall the app to get the banking app to work again. I no longer use that bank. Opera VPN won that battle. No need for me to keep money in Thailand, anyway. 

Not wanting to be unhelpful, but....

If, say, for some reason, I was, say, getting ready to block VPNs, and, say, wanted to discover what VPNs foreigners were using, one easy way to go about finding out would be to suddenly join a public forum just like this in order to post a question just like yours...

4 hours ago, gandalf12 said:

Cyberghost us good and there is both a free and paid version. You also have a limited selection with the free version of what country you want to appear to be in

I have used that and KISS.  Free and ok for occasional light use.  No idea on bandwidth limits, or usage limits

As many have said, depends what you actually want the VPN for. Security, Region Swapping, the list goes on.

My 2 cents; nothing is really free, so the 'free' VPN's take by aggressive wool pulling over eyes!

Most of the fee based ones offer a free trial, try them out and see which works for you. I'm not recommending any in particular, since I've used multiple ones over the years, swapping because of price, speed, or generally pissed me off in some way.

I prize stability, I run my VPN on my router, so I have a permanent VPN connection, which in this country I consider quite important.

Which on a slightly tangential nerdy note, brings up the issue of WebRTC. To those of you that run a VPN app on your laptop/PC, be aware that most browsers have embedded webRTC, which allows your native IP address to leak. Google it, and get it disabled, or your super duper VPN may be all for nothing!

There was an academic study conducted not so long ago which examined a wide range of commercial VPN services and which of them use protocols which are vulnerable to attack. The worst of these is Hide My Ass since it only offers VPN over PPTP which was cracked several years ago and OpenVPN.

OpenVPN is vulnerable to a Blowfish exploit known as a SWEET32 attack for the moment since the vendor hasn't provide a fix yet: http://www.securitytracker.com/id/1036695

The study is well worth a read and will no doubt surprise some of you who have recommended VPNs which are inherently insecure: https://www.eecs.qmul.ac.uk/~hamed/papers/PETS2015VPN.pdf

The only two VPNs which can be recommended are VyprVPN and Astrill. VyprVPN can be found by scrolling down to: 5.3.3 Advanced DNS configurations on page 87 and to Astrill at the top of page 88.

However, Astrill has been criticised on some sites as having unhelpful support leaving VyprVPN as the only one left.

9 hours ago, Xircal said:

There was an academic study conducted not so long ago which examined a wide range of commercial VPN services and which of them use protocols which are vulnerable to attack. The worst of these is Hide My Ass since it only offers VPN over PPTP which was cracked several years ago and OpenVPN.

OpenVPN is vulnerable to a Blowfish exploit known as a SWEET32 attack for the moment since the vendor hasn't provide a fix yet: http://www.securitytracker.com/id/1036695

The study is well worth a read and will no doubt surprise some of you who have recommended VPNs which are inherently insecure: https://www.eecs.qmul.ac.uk/~hamed/papers/PETS2015VPN.pdf

The only two VPNs which can be recommended are VyprVPN and Astrill. VyprVPN can be found by scrolling down to: 5.3.3 Advanced DNS configurations on page 87 and to Astrill at the top of page 88.

However, Astrill has been criticised on some sites as having unhelpful support leaving VyprVPN as the only one left.

So I wasn't going to weigh in on a preferred VPN, but...

I currently do use Astrill, their Router Pro protocol, which as far as I know the only one that gets through The Great Firewall of China, also has the benefit that it defeats throttling through the Thai International gateways.

As for customer service, it's hit and miss. I've had appalling responses and pretty good  ones.

At the end of the day if it works, I'm happy

As many have said, depends what you actually want the VPN for. Security, Region Swapping, the list goes on.

My 2 cents; nothing is really free, so the 'free' VPN's take by aggressive wool pulling over eyes!

Most of the fee based ones offer a free trial, try them out and see which works for you. I'm not recommending any in particular, since I've used multiple ones over the years, swapping because of price, speed, or generally pissed me off in some way.

I prize stability, I run my VPN on my router, so I have a permanent VPN connection, which in this country I consider quite important.

Which on a slightly tangential nerdy note, brings up the issue of WebRTC. To those of you that run a VPN app on your laptop/PC, be aware that most browsers have embedded webRTC, which allows your native IP address to leak. Google it, and get it disabled, or your super duper VPN may be all for nothing!

Thanks for that info. Went to a few webRTC test pages and sure enough my VPN and local address were displayed. Downloaded a plugin for Chrome and my local address no longer shows.

Archived