What's the best VPN in Thailand?

Sorenson

Just last night managed to get Zenmate premium with a discount code for a year at £31.20.  I've tried the free ones absolute bag of shight.  Hola was the latest "hey this is good mate" which got red carded after few days of use. Absolute junk

Obviously with Zenmate at less than £3 a month cant go wrong

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/10/2016 at 1:56 AM, Xircal said:

There was an academic study conducted not so long ago which examined a wide range of commercial VPN services and which of them use protocols which are vulnerable to attack. The worst of these is Hide My Ass since it only offers VPN over PPTP which was cracked several years ago and OpenVPN.

I'm not a HMA user but I thought it strange that a VPN service would not offer a L2TP connection.  Review of the HMA website shows they do provide a L2TP connection if desired.

https://support.hidemyass.com/hc/en-us/articles/204401268-Why-and-when-should-I-change-VPN-protocols-

https://support.hidemyass.com/hc/en-us/articles/202720306

I've been using NordVPN for a year now, package was $48 for the year and allows up to 6 connections at once. There are plenty of servers around the world to chose from; I usually connect through Singapore and get speeds of about 20Mbps.  The company is registered in Panama and keeps no logs or records.

In terms of security among the various VPN protocols you will find a lot of different opinions/recommendations when googling and by individual VPN service providers.  I now use PureVPN and the when using their app you can select various VPN protocols...there little selection chart below summarizes how they rate each protocol "speed and security" wise.  The lightning bolts represent speed of the protocol and the shield with embedded check mark represent security of the protocol.  Where it lists TCP and UDP that means OpenVPN TCP and OpenVPN UDP.

Capture.JPG

When signing up for any VPN service be sure to try the various VPN connection protocols (i.e., PPTP, L2TP, SSTP, OpenVPN UDP & TCP, etc) because depending on your device and your internet service provider one or more protocols may be a LOT faster than then other protocols. And OpenVPN can be very picky  in getting to work at all and/or provide fast speed on "some" device/internet service providers...and then other times it can work like a charm.   A lot of different factors can affect your VPN speed to include slow/over subscripted VPN service provider servers.     

And if be sure to try use of the VPN provider's App and also non-use of their app by setting up manual VPN connections which is easy to do on at least Windows and Android device....I know since I use Windows and Android devices.   VPN service providers provide links as to how to setup manual connections (i.e., no need to use their app)....setting up a manual connection to a location(s) is not hard...and just a one time thing to setup/save the connection for quick reuse.

Good thread. For me, TorGuard is the winner. I tried SaferVPN when I first moved here in January 2016.  But they lost the war with NetF__x and H__u.  TorGuard works on all my clients, Android phone, iPad and Windows10 laptop. In addition, I have it installed using OpenVPN on m D-Link 880L router with dd-wrt firmware, ASUS RT-88U router with Merlin Firmware Build and pfSense 2.3.2 appliance. I pay a little extra to have a Private IP. But it is worth it.  They are one of the few VPN providers that provide this service.  This allows me to stream media services from USA. Since distance is an issue with performance when using OpenVPN, you will take a hit in download speeds. As a result, I don't use any encryption.  Having an IP on the West Coast of USA gives me the best performance.  I have a Roku 4 player and it rocks here in Chiang Mai.  Just be sure to use a step down converter!  You need a USA address to set up an account.  Many virtual mailbox companies in USA provide this service, e.g. travelingmailbox.com .  I watch all my favorite shows from USA. I am watching college and NFL football now and the quality is very good.   They have servers all over the world. So, depending on where you want to be seen as connecting from, I'm sure they can accommodate you.    When I get some extra free time, I would like to try to set up my open VPN service on Amazon AWS EC2 cloud services and see how it compares.  Plus, it is free. http://envyandroid.com/setup-free-private-vpn-on-amazon-ec2/

18 minutes ago, Xentrk said:

As a result, I don't use any encryption.

And that's a good point.  A lot of people think that when they have a VPN connection their connection is encrypted.   Well, it may or may not be encrypted depending the encryption level you set in the VPN provider's App, the encryption level the VPN service provider defaults to, and/or if using a manual connection in Windows (or other OSs) the encryption level you require/set.   Like in my PureVPN app you have a choice of No encryption, 128 bit encryption, or 256 bit encryption.

And regarding the manual connection setup in Windows,  take a look at this webpage  (a partial snapshot from the webpage below) which takes about encryption levels/setting for Windows and still applies even if you are running Win 10.   When you initially setup a manual VPN connection in Windows it defaults to the Optional Encryption setting which means it will use whatever encryption level the VPN service provider's server defaults to which might be No encryption....you just don't know what their default will be.

For me, I change the Windows data encryption level to "Required" to ensure I get at least 128 bit encryption or no connection occurs. 128 bit encryption is a good balance between speed and encryption protection.   If you want to go to 256 bit encryption to go really secure (but most likely slower) then switch to Maximum Strength Encryption. 

Capture.JPG

On 9/10/2016 at 11:44 AM, GinBoy2 said:

So I wasn't going to weigh in on a preferred VPN, but...

I currently do use Astrill, their Router Pro protocol, which as far as I know the only one that gets through The Great Firewall of China, also has the benefit that it defeats throttling through the Thai International gateways.

As for customer service, it's hit and miss. I've had appalling responses and pretty good  ones.

At the end of the day if it works, I'm happy

Never trust anything.  Google 10 best VPN's that work in China 2016.:smile:

3 hours ago, PaulusE said:

FREE - FREE - FREE - FREE - FREE - FREE - FREE - FREE - FREE - FREE

http://www.opera.com/blogs/desktop/2016/04/free-vpn-integrated-opera-for-windows-mac/

FREE - FREE - FREE - FREE - FREE - FREE - FREE - FREE - FREE - FREE

Cheers

Paulus

Probably works great for internet browsing.  How about for, say, using financial software or e-mail client on the computer or any app on a phone or tablet?

Below are a couple reviews of the Opera VPN module which limited to use within the browser...does not provide VPN outside of the browser like when using torrent programs, email programs, other software, etc.  And VPN connections/IPs are limited to the U.S., Canada, and Germany IPs.

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2016/04/25/opera-adds-a-sort-of-vpn-to-its-browser/

In a nutshell, Opera’s VPN in your browser gives you a convenient VPN for your browser … but nothing more. A VPN protects all of your network traffic but Opera’s proxy only protects you when you’re surfing using Opera, not when you’re using Outlook, Skype or any other tool.

https://www.bestvpn.com/opera-browser-free-vpn-review/

Pricing and Features

It is 100% free to use the VPN bundled with Opera, and there are no data limits. This in itself makes the service one of the most generous free VPNs around. Whether Opera will continue to offer this level of free service is, of course, anyone’s guess.

It may seem a little obvious, but the first thing to note is that unlike when using a regular VPN client, when using the Opera browser VPN, only Opera browser traffic is protected by the VPN. Using this VPN does not protect your BitTorrent downloads or other internet activity outside the Opera browser.

Opera VPN users are limited to just three VPN server locations – Canada, the United States, and Germany. This is a lot more limited that most commercial VPN services, but hey… it’s free! Those wanting to access the US version of Netflix, however, are out of luck… when I tried, Netflix successfully detected that I was running “a proxy” and refused to play.

15 hours ago, Pib said:

Below are a couple reviews of the Opera VPN module which limited to use within the browser...does not provide VPN outside of the browser like when using torrent programs, email programs, other software, etc.  And VPN connections/IPs are limited to the U.S., Canada, and Germany IPs.

Pib, I think the distinction to make here is that while the Opera browser's VPN capability on PCs is limited to just content handled within the browser, the separate and free Opera VPN app for Android devices operates at the OS level and captures all internet traffic, not just that done via a browser or the Opera browser.

I have both purevpn and expressvpn. Purevpn was only 2 dollars a month on a two year contract. Purevpn can only unblock Netflix on a browser. Expressvpn has media streamer which currently works well. Speed to SIN is better than Purevpn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both purevpn and expressvpn. Purevpn was only 2 dollars a month on a two year contract. Purevpn can only unblock Netflix on a browser. Expressvpn has media streamer which currently works well. Speed to SIN is better than Purevpn.

I also have both Expressvpn and Purevpn. I have had Expressvpn for 3-4 years, while I just signed up for a month of Purevpn after I saw it recommended in this forum.

Purevpn is very inconsistent. Sometimes I get great speed to Singapore, other times it's dead slow. It also seems to disconnect quite often.
Expressvpn is more consistent in its performance, while it's not as fast as Purevpn on its good days. The app for Expressvpn is much better than Purevpn, and I find the support to be better as well, the times I have needed it. Expressvpn is a around double the price though, which is why I gave Purevpn a chance.

I will give Nordvpn a go one of the coming days - anyone got any experiences with that?

• 2 months later...
On 9/8/2016 at 8:24 PM, kennypowers said:

Check out VYPR vpn. It's super fast from Thailand, has an easy to use interface and is one of the few that doesn't store your data and pass it to authorities if they ask. Mobile app is solid too. 

this app is good, i'm using this.

HMA used to be so good but now it's no longer on top, OpenVPN, Psiphon are choices (Psiphon on android won't work in some countries, you have to pay some money to get it work in these countries)

On 9/8/2016 at 5:54 PM, Srikcir said:

Check Tunnel Bear vpn. http://www.pcmag.com/review/346257/tunnelbear-vpn

Free for max 500 MB/mo, otherwise pay plans.

URL cited also covers other vpn's.

The only problem, compared to Hola, is that it does now automatically ENABLE itself depending on the website that you visit.

Hola addon for Chrome is the only one that I know and that can do that.

9 hours ago, autoc said:

Hello, can I have an easy short simple reply ?

I know Tunnel bear and Hola better internet.

Are there better options easy to activate and disable directly in your browser, that are cheaper or more reliable ?

Thanks.

If you use the Opera browser, it has built-in VPN that can be activated or deactivated with just a click. No data limits on the use of their VPN service, and choice of a half dozen or so server country locations.

I'm not sure it's fast enough for a lot of video streaming, but it certainly works fine for other purposes including web browsing. The VPN covers anything you do within their browser, but obviously, does NOT cover anything you may be doing outside of the browser itself.

Should note, however, that Opera the company was bought by a Chinese company lately. So the people in charge of the Opera browser and its VPN component are mainland Chinese (though I can't say I've heard of any illegal snooping being reported in connection with it, at least as yet).

• 2 weeks later...

After having my Astrill VPN (on PC) for app 1 week, it haven't been good lately if the vpn is set to USA, speeds sometimes below 1mb.

I have now set it to Singapore and it's back to the speed I pay for (12mb) but that VPN address wont let me use Kodi, so when watching Kodi I have to switch Astrill off while watching. I don't know why a Singapore VPN is not working with Kodi?

Hmm.

18 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

After having my Astrill VPN (on PC) for app 1 week, it haven't been good lately if the vpn is set to USA, speeds sometimes below 1mb.

I have now set it to Singapore and it's back to the speed I pay for (12mb) but that VPN address wont let me use Kodi, so when watching Kodi I have to switch Astrill off while watching. I don't know why a Singapore VPN is not working with Kodi?

Hmm.

What connection method are you using on your PC? Open VPN via the Astrill app?

Try using their Windows dialer software instead, and set the connection method to PPTP. Also, use West Coast servers like L.A. or Seattle.

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

What connection method are you using on your PC? Open VPN via the Astrill app?

Try using their Windows dialer software instead, and set the connection method to PPTP. Also, use West Coast servers like L.A. or Seattle.

Well I played around with it yesterday and are now getting good speeds from L.A. using open Web, not open VPN.

I will have to check what the Windows dialer software is.

I am all new to this so have a few things to learn.

Thanks anyway.

On 08/09/2016 at 8:05 AM, hakancnx said:

I use "hidemyass.com" but only for streaming TV from my country. ( Sweden )

$ 6 per month. 

They have servers everywhere.....

Works fine. 

I have HMA pro not sure if differ from any other hide my ass VPN but I'm pretty sure it works across 5 devices. works great. I hope.

Archived