Honda Lawn Equipment

Rotweiler

About 5 years ago, I passed through a shop selling Honda lawn mowers.  The real ones from Japan, not the ones with a Thai-made Honda engine.Can'ty find it anywhere now - and my old lawn-mover has gone to lawn-mover hell (or heaven as the case may be)....

Anyone know where I can find the real thing?

On Samui, one of the Honda motorbike dealers, will bring in Honda mowers .... I am really not sure wether the Thai made or Japanese made ones... you'll need to go ask if your local Honda Shop does or not..

Home Pro was where I got mine, but I think they are no longer dealing with Honda. 

My Thai made Honda Mower, still runs after about 6-7 years, but it's been welded a few times to keep it together!  Engine is fine, but new decent blades are hard to get! 

I corrected your typo, to mowers, not  lawn movers.... ;)

PHAN WATTANAKIT CO.,LTD.
445-447 MOO.1 PHAHONYOTHIN RD. MUANGPHAN, AMP. PHAN
CHIENG-RAI
053-721307

TAWEEYON MARKETTING CO.,LTD.
608/3 MU2 PHAHONYOTHIN RD WIENG, AMP. MUANG
CHIENG-RAI
053-711040

RUAM KASET (2535) LTD.,PART.
931/1-4 PHAHOLYOTHIN ROAD WEING, AMP. MUANG
CHIENG-RAI
053-711387, 71

KARNCHANG PHANICH LTD;PART.
481 MOO3 MAEJUN, AMP. MAEJUN
CHIENG-RAI
053-771206

CHIANGRAI KITVARA LTD.,PART.
930/9-12 PHAHONYOTHIN RD. WIENG, AMP.MUANG
CHIENG-RAI
053-754-996-8
053-755002
FASHION TRADE 101 CO.,LTD.
101 MOO 12 T.WIANG A.CHIANGKONG
CHIENG-RAI
053-791202
053-791109
SAKOL KARN KASET
95/3 PRASOOPSUK RD T.ROPWIANG A.MUANG
CHIENG-RAI
053-711-129
053-712-430
KASETYONT CHIANGRAI LTD.,PART.
7/3 MOO.12 ASIA 1 ROAD ROBVIENG AMPHUR MUANG
CHIENG-RAI
053-711355
053-755152
FASHION TRADE MOTOR LTD.,PART.
130 MOO 1 WIENG, AMP. THOENG
CHIENG-RAI
053-754996-8
053-755002

I bought a HRJ216 about a year ago. Paid 22k Baht delivered from Chonburi. Starts first time and still looks like new after being used weekly to about 1/3 Rai of grass.

You generally get what you pay for. The Thai built versions are around 10-12k.

In my opinion the Honda HRJ216 is the best self propelled mower you will get in Thailand subject only to these qualifications:

(i)  It's a heavy beast at around 48 kgs perhaps best suited to large reasonably open areas.  If you have a small garden and/or one where you do lots of weaving in and out of trees and plants something smaller and lighter may be better.

(ii)  The blades are high quality but hideously expensive from Thai Honda dealers at around 1900 Baht the pair.  I get my blades from Honda dealers in Australia.  Exactly the same part at 300 Baht the pair.

On the positive side the quality of the HRJ216 is such that it is probably good for 20 years or more and to buy something comparable from Honda in Europe would cost double the price here. 

Thanks, Out of the City...  I've been the Honda dealership route - they only offered a fancy and large self-propelled monster with a price to match.  I ws hoping to find the standard one (that I saw in a shop a couple of years ago but didn't buy because mine was still working then.......).  Haven't seen one like that since.

Thanks all for your responses.  Don't need or want a self-propelled mower as there are too many plants and trees scattered arounf the yard. So decided to buy a cheap Thai-made non-Honda gas mower.

I have read several posts that Hondas are the best, but are very expensive. I also ended up buying a knock-off brand for half the price. So far so good, it starts everytime and cuts ok. If it dies I can buy a new one and still be cheaper than the Honda. But I do recall seeing a Honda non- self propelled at one of those shops behind the old bus station.

• 1 month later...

Last month I looked at Homepro, Global House, Thaiwatsadu, Do Home, Home Hub and Honda Power products dealers in Isaan Thailand for a genuine Honda HRJ216 self propelled lawn mower. My wife was not happy with the Robert Bosch Rotak 34 I had bought her as we now have a 2nd "lawn" in the Buriram Village. Turns out Robert Bosch no longer imports any electric lawn mowers to Thailand. None. Makita distributors have only four models of electric lawn mowers currently in Thailand. However I was able to compare the genuine Honda HRJ216K2  petrol mower with the less expensive Briggs & Stratton electric start self propelled petrol mower at a hardware store that will ship to any province in Thailand. I elected to buy the Troy Bilt adjustable speed mower with 190cc petrol engine. The genuine Honda is built in in a real Honda assembly plant by Jialing-Honda Motors Co.,Ltd in China. The Troy Bilt is manufactured entirely in Tupelo, Mississippi.  So far my wife is very happy with the Troy Bilt lawn mower. I cringe when the shop in Buriram started a "copy" lawn mower which had a genuine Honda engine, but the othe rparts of the lawn mower were manufactured in a contract Chinese factory.  A REAL comparison in quality was apparent in how effortlessly the Genuine Honda started, how the Troy Bilt started and how the "copy brands" started.  The two women in the photo I took can understand and speak English, which had not always been the case at a lawn mower dealer in Buriram or Surin Province. 

Genuine Honda HRJ216 Self propelled lawn mower province Thailand.jpg

• 1 year later...

The only genuine Honda Lawn mower sold in Thailand for the past four years is the Honda HRJ216K2 self propelled lawn mower. It is manufactured in a Honda assembly plant and has a real Honda warranty. I have purchased three different lawn mowers in Thailand. If I was to do it again, I would buy the Honda HRJ216K2 lawn mower first, and never have to buy another lawn mower in Thailand. Easy to find this model at any Honda Power Products dealer or have shipped to any province in Thailand. Spare parts are readily available for Honda power products in Thailand. 

Genuine Honda HRJ216K2 lawn mower Thailand delivery.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
13 hours ago, ChiefMonkey said:

I'm having trouble finding a replacement carburetor for my HRJ216. Any ideas for the Maesai area (Chiangrai). tia

There's a big Honda garden equipment dealership in CR sort of the other side of the highway from Thai Watsadu. Owner is a good guy and I've ordered parts there before.

On 7/6/2018 at 7:38 AM, Manassas said:

There's a big Honda garden equipment dealership in CR sort of the other side of the highway from Thai Watsadu. Owner is a good guy and I've ordered parts there before.

Thanks. Is that on the opposite highway going to Maesai or the slip road going into the centre of town?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2018 at 8:39 PM, ChiefMonkey said:

Thanks. Is that on the opposite highway going to Maesai or the slip road going into the centre of town?

It's the main hwy leaving town to the south. After Thai Watsadu take the next u-turn heading back towards Central. It has a big Honda sign, can't miss it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/8/2016 at 7:32 AM, In the jungle said:

That list of dealers is taken from Honda's website.

Honda only sell one lawnmower in Thailand.  The HRJ216.  

Brace yourself for sticker shock when they tell you the price.

23, to 25,000 baht and they are made in China. AND up to 50 or 70 percent dearer Australia or New Zealand.   I have an HRJ216 nearly 3 years old, bought here.  Honda mowers are such a big item world wide that they are made in a number of places in the same way cars are made.  They all may have a Japanese or possibly Taiwanese motor.  For a large part of the Asia Pacific market the replaceable Honda mower blades are made in Australia.  America is different as they have a one piece bar blade and are not allowed to sell the blades most of the world uses.  I don't think any of the I.C.E. powered things "made in Thailand" actually have a motor made in Thailand.  Some motor bikes may be exceptions.  To keep Q.C. up to scratch I think all engines are made in factories in 2 or 3 countries only.  I am sure this goes for Toyota, Isuzu, Ford , Nissan (and Honda) etc cars & trucks.  I am fairly sure the motor, gearbox & drivetrain components and possibly even some body panels etc, come in from Japan complete and much of the rest is fabricated here. Even in Japan the component industry makes things for Japanese cars like Bosch & Lucas etc do for other auto makers in other markets. This probably also explains why even "Thai made" vehicles are expensive here and cheaper overseas.  If the Motor & drivetrain are imported they will probably have a fearsome duty on them, which it is credited ONLY on re-export of the ones made (assembled) here and shipped out, but NOT credited on the ones sold here.  

Nothing is as it appears to be.

Archived