Downloadable Thai Drivers Handbook? - (English)

ocddave

I remember somebody writing that he had, after 10 years search, finally found such a handbook (in Thai). His Thai colleagues had never seen one. After a year or two you will realise that a Thai drivers handbook would be useless as the main rule is to expect stupid things to happen at any time. The police generally have only a rudimentary grasp of Thai traffic laws or will latch on to some obscure rule like insisting that motor bikes can only overtake on the left and just issue tickets (if you're lucky) all day for that.

Here']s a copy of Thai traffic laws, which includes a section on buffalo carts and dates from a time when the still existing law forbidding foreigners from driving was still being applied. You might want to get hold of the questions required to pass the Thai driving test, which includes stuff like 'are tanks allowed to drive on the highways?'.

Thai Traffic Laws.pdf

28 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Why would there be a version of the Thai Driver's Manual in English....are Thai versions available in any of the 50 States?

You mean like the English and Thai road sings here in the 50 states? However, these are available in Thailand, so since it is a recognized second language, I wouldn't think it out of place to have a Thai Drivers Manual in English. You know, like Spanish in the 50 states, there are drivers manuals in Spanish.

1 hour ago, ocddave said:

You mean like the English and Thai road sings here in the 50 states? However, these are available in Thailand, so since it is a recognized second language, I wouldn't think it out of place to have a Thai Drivers Manual in English. You know, like Spanish in the 50 states, there are drivers manuals in Spanish.

Hispanics make up almost 30 percent of the US population...I don't think the English speaking population of Thailand comes anywhere near as close. Also, the only Thai road signs that are bilingual are the place/location markers and "directions to" signs...all of the actual road information, driving instruction, hazard and warning, and all other kinds of road signage are in Thai.

If you need to learn to drive, there are online tests and plenty of driving schools. However, I don't think any official English language Thai Driving Manual exists.

A Thai driving hand book, as in to study for the driving test? Available at DMV. Only seen it printed in Thai. Several years ago a friend was exiting a taxi on the curb, a motorcycle hit the door as it opened. Of course as people gathered they all blamed the Farang in the front seat. One brave lady in the crowd gathering on the street said it was not the Farang in the front seat but the Thai lady in the backseat. When speaking with the police that were investigating the accident the taxi driver was asked if the lady in the rear seat was the Mrs. Of the Farang? Taxi confirmed he did not think so as lady was exiting to catch another taxi going another way and the farang was to stay in the taxi to continue his journey to China Town.
Before the meeting at the police station the next day we stopped by DMV and picked up a driver's manual and I asked the lady to please read the section on motorcycle passing vehicles. It clearly stated that motorcycle is not allowed to pass a vehicle on the curb side of vehicle if vehicle was in the lane closest to the curb. With this information we headed to the police station for the meeting. When we arrived the insurance adjuster for the motorcycle driver was already there and the investigating officer said he had reviewed all the evidence and it was the lady who was existing the taxi who was at fault.
I explained to the officer that I did not read Thai and if he could please read the drivers manual and translate it for me, handing him the manual opened to the page about motorcycle passing. He then said it was Not the ladies fault but the motorcycle that was at fault. By then the motorcycle driver, taxi insurance man, and two witnesses were present and all complained and raised a fuss that the farang was at fault. With the statement from the taxi driver confirming it was the lady that opened the door and the drivers manual stating the law the police kept the blame on the motorcycle driver but then fined the lady 500 baht for inattentive door opening?????
So in short the answer is try the Department of Motor Vehicles to get your drivers manual in Thai, never seen it in English.

• 1 year later...

Archived