Koh Samui mayor wants garbage producers to pay more if they produce more garbage

webfact

Koh Samui mayor wants garbage producers to pay more if they produce more garbage

21_Samui-wpcf_728x409.jpg

SAMUI: -- The mayor of Koh Samui has suggested that one of the ways to solve the chronic garbage problem on the resort island is to strictly enforce the law making people who produce the garbage to pay for its disposal in proportion with the amount of garbage.

Mr Ramnet Jaikwang admitted that, with an average of 150 tonnes of garbage being produced each day, the existing landfill on the island would no longer be able to absorb the garbage unless the amount of rubbish produced each day is substantially reduced.

The Koh Samui is spending two baht to dispose each kilogramme of garbage or 300,000 baht a day, he said, adding that the campaign to instill an awareness about garbage separation and about not producing too much garbage has received limited cooperation “because those who produce garbage such as the tourism operators and households think that since they have already paid their monthly garbage disposal fees, it is the responsibility of the municipality to get rid of the garbage.

The mayor pointed out that, at present, hotels – whether they are big or small – pay the same amount of garbage disposal fee – that is 2,000 baht per month.

But he said he would like to have a law to make people who produce more garbage to pay more while those who produce less, pay less. “If tourism operators are made to pay tens of thousands of baht garbage disposal fee per month, they may start separating garbage,” he added.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/koh-samui-mayor-wants-garbage-producers-pay-produce-garbage/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-09-08

Perhaps handling the current problem of being unable to get rid of rubbish already collected should be handled first. Charging more for more rubbish sounds good but may lead to more fly tipping. I am more concerned they struggle to effectively keep what is mainly a big fire going.

Why not spend the money they already collect repairing or renewing the incinerator?

Ad what difference will rubbish separation make if there is (a) no separation bins at source, (b) it is all dumped in the same black bags on the same landfill.

where we are the biggest problem is the farangs.  Many own and rent out 10 to 50 million baht properties to groups producing loads of garbage but very very few pay for refuse collection.  They just pass the problem on to others by getting their staff to fly tip.

Separation at source is essential.  Composting is desirable.  But above all the reduction in the use of plastics is the main factor here.  Unless they reduce the use of plastic bags, trays etc then everything else is just pi..ing in the wind.   As for "landfill management" 55555 not too any international standard on this planet.

How many people posting criticism here pay the gabage tax?

If everyone who produced the garbage (and then illegally dumped it) were to pay the tax, maybe we would not be in this situation? I have some neighbours who have lived here for over 15 years and they still refuse to pay the tax. They bitch about the garbage that their staff dump on the road side though.

Maybe all posters should include a copy of the monthly receipt?

Here is mine for me and some of my neighbours.Garbage receipt.jpg

2 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Good luck with that. In our village most homes prefer to simply burn or throw their rubbish away rather than pay the 20 bht a month collection fee.

The problem is not the Thais. It is the foreigners who live here and the tourist/businesses.

I suspect that you do not pay the tax on Koh Samui if you think that it is 20 baht per month. That was years ago.

15 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

The problem is not the Thais. It is the foreigners who live here and the tourist/businesses.

I suspect that you do not pay the tax on Koh Samui if you think that it is 20 baht per month. That was years ago.

Thais vastly outnumber foreigners on Koh Samui but that is not the problem either. It is simply a garbage collection and disposal service that is broken and inadequate for the population of the Island.

Any non Thai I spoke to in conversation about paying monthly fee to get it removed had no problem about paying or wanting such a service.

The more you dump like hotels etc should be paying more, 2000 bht is a joke!

As for the service to collect garbage it is a joke. There seems to be one tiny truck for the whole island. Nobody seems to be able to tell when it arrives or where. If you leave a large bin outside your property to put you garbage in then everyone in the area seems to think that's the new dumping point and they dump bags etc all round your bin !

There is money that was marked for this service im sure and to fix the incinerator and it has wandered off it seems !!

3 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

Any non Thai I spoke to in conversation about paying monthly fee to get it removed had no problem about paying or wanting such a service.

The more you dump like hotels etc should be paying more, 2000 bht is a joke!

As for the service to collect garbage it is a joke. There seems to be one tiny truck for the whole island. Nobody seems to be able to tell when it arrives or where. If you leave a large bin outside your property to put you garbage in then everyone in the area seems to think that's the new dumping point and they dump bags etc all round your bin !

There is money that was marked for this service im sure and to fix the incinerator and it has wandered off it seems !!

it appears that a reorganisation of the method of  collecting and disposing  of the garbage is overdue. service for orderly collection of the garbage must be made available before charging.  are you sure that is only truck service phuket island for this service.

13 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Thais vastly outnumber foreigners on Koh Samui but that is not the problem either. It is simply a garbage collection and disposal service that is broken and inadequate for the population of the Island.

why are we alienating thais and farangs in the issue. the issue is garbage collection and disposal and all human being   leave some sort of garbage daily. 

1 minute ago, sahibji said:

it appears that a reorganisation of the method of  collecting and disposing  of the garbage is overdue. service for orderly collection of the garbage must be made available before charging.  are you sure that is only truck service phuket island for this service.

I am pretty sure it is the only truck as I have never seen 2 when driving around the island for hours and its not a large truck either !:lol:

I guess the several people who have smashed into them or swerved to avoid them could tell you. Oh no just remembered most off them died !!

2 hours ago, futsukayoi said:

where we are the biggest problem is the farangs.  Many own and rent out 10 to 50 million baht properties to groups producing loads of garbage but very very few pay for refuse collection.  They just pass the problem on to others by getting their staff to fly tip.

Sorry, you are so wrong.  Most of the hotels on Samui are Thai owned and it is they that are fly tipping and burning with little regard for the environment or health of people.  Also, you only need to walk along the beaches or up the mountains to see rubbish dumped everywhere.  It is pointless increasing the charge for garbage when you have no where to dispose of it.  The Mayor needs to put a case to Government for a grant for an eco-friendly incinerator, then to arrange an efficient and effective collection system.  It is not the responsibility of the community to improve the garbage disposal system.  It is the responsibility of the local authority - that is why you have jobs, so get on with it and stop trying to pass the buck.  Not only are his comment rediculous, but so are yours Khun Futsukkayoi.  Passing blame does not solve the problem!

It's fair enough to pay for the amount of garbage produced – I gladly pay for having my garbage collected, and if I my house-hold in average produce more than the 5 kilo of 2 baht each, we pay for now, I of course also gladly accept to pay more – wish the local administration will get the incinerators working again for that extra money...:)

By the way, 2,000 baht equals 1,000 kilo or 33 kilo a day – some hotels/resorts seem to producere a lot more than that, just from the look of number of black plastic bags placed on the sidewalk of the Ring Road, for nightly garbage collection...:whistling:

This is a major problem in just about every developing country in the world.

Problem in Thailand is that they do not wish to admit that it needs highly trained professionals  & 

resources which at present are getting diluted or chanelled into non related pockets.

Selective incineration is good but they will not even fix or maintain it. As have stated so many times

Thais are great at building, purchasing & commissioning things , but have no idea at all about any form

of maintenance

10 hours ago, Rooo said:

Is this a new Light Bulb that is installed? Dispose of it where bright spark? Land fill ?

Not cooperating on recycling easy. Check the garbage if they do not cooperate a stiff fine. I wonder if the extra money paid would really solve the problem or just end up at the luxury car dealership. 

I/we not only pay for rubbish removal via our maintenance contract, but since they decided that all rubbish had to be left at designated roadside drop of points (ha ha ha), I/we now have to pay extra for our rubbish to be delivered to said points.

Surely there must be a budget allocated for these things. But now they seem to have the same problem of incinerator breakdown on Koh Tao. There must be someone higher up that has responsibility for these things.

As I have said before, nothing will be done until there is an outbreak of Typhoid or Cholera amongst the tourists, and it reaches the western press.

Archived