45-meter fall, sexually assaulted backpacker Hannah Gavios shares story from hospital bed

webfact

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, MyFrenU said:

Are you serious?So she should just take the sexual assault plus this halfwit jacking off over her,along with her broken back and go away quietly?
What colour are the moons on your planet anyway?

On your planet haven't you heard of irony or sarcasm?

I fear this is not the end for the poor girl. It never is.

The guy wont get the 5-10 that the cop commented on (he wasnt high up enough).

But wait for all manner of BS to be bought up in litigation in the trial.

- he did the right thing in the end.

- the farang was wearing to sexy clothes.

etc etc.

Abhorrent as it is, I will not be suprised if, in the end, they are painting him as a saint for not "tidying up loose ends" aka other case/s

10 minutes ago, ika said:

This is what's wrong with society. Instead of saying stupid man for doing something as horrific as this, we blame the girl. She becomes the stupid one. As if it's normal that this happens to any girl walking in a dark forest. 

Don't you think a girl should have the same right as you - be where she wants to be at the time she wants -  without being blamed for getting raped?? 

This won't happen before we put the blame where it belongs -  on the raper - and not the victim. 

It's not about women's right, it's about human nature. You can't change human nature - scratch the surface and you will always find competitiveness, dishonesty and brutality - as much as you would like the entire world to cleave to your standards of civilised behaviour. If you are assuming everyone else in the world is/should be the same as you, be prepared for a shock. It's really a question of being realistic.

In any case, I think most men wouldn't get themselves into that situation - I certainly would not let myself be led by a stranger late at night in a strange place. Men get attacked too.

3 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Yes, you can insulate yourself from them by keeping your wits about you.

You can turn a corner any day of the week and just be unlucky enough to walk into the wrong people ... whether you keep your wits about you or not.

Seems well earned publicity to me.

As long as lazy police, corruption & greed remain, thailand will be risky, it can appear very safe as those who will rob or murder you tend seem friendly at first :-/ people drop their guard too quickly here or get too drunk .

What other country wants tourists have tracking sim cards, arm bands & fill out detail forms of banking & social media use ! that speaks volumes !
Times are getting harder & crime is on the up, theft rape and sexual abuse is very common here so western woman need take little bit of extra care as they an attractive and easy target .

3 hours ago, burgdawg said:

Title of article:

"....45-meter fall, sexually assaulted backpacker Hannah Gavios shares story from hospital bed"

Two items leap out at me here----
1) I'll pitch in 500 b for the clown who penned the article to return to a remedial English course.
2) The author of article left out the qualifying term "sensitive snowflake."

as opposed to insensitive moron?

2 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

You prefer to promote recklessness?

Is that what I was doing? What happened to this girl could happen to anyone ... it's not just girls who happen to be out at 11pm that get attacked, it happens to men too, in public places, where they would ordinarily feel safe. 

She wasn't walking around naked, drunk or drugged up. She went to a tourist shop and they offered up Quasimodo as a guide who would help her home safely. I think the girl was more safety aware than she is being given credit for, and feisty enough in spirit to fight back. 

Don't blame the victim ... blame the criminal. 

Those charges seem on paper to be very light where is the attempted rape!!I think I agree

with past posters that 5/10 yrs looks un likely,this one will probally have past mental health

issues, he looks like an animal,what was he doing in a tourist office??   

1 hour ago, ddavidovsky said:

Kindly don't speak on my behalf. If it had happened to me I would blame myself for being naive.

I read the article and saw no 'precautions' taken at all. You can't go through life without some risk, but it's always necessary to be prudent. In that situation she should have been carrying pepper spray and kept her finger on the button, for example.

She was too trusting - the case proves it. She must have grown up in cotton wool.

Spare us the faux-outrage about 'victim blaming' - that's snowflake generation stuff. The world is full of barbarism beneath the skin. It's necessary to be critical in order to promote responsible behaviour.

So you'd be sitting at home crying, blaming yourself? 

Pepper spray? Why not a Kalashnikov, some G60 stun grenades and a samurai sword? Clearly, this dozy chick was not appropriately armed to the teeth to survive in Krabi. It's a pity you are not her Dad?

8 hours ago, Thechook said:

Speaking out and defaming Thailand's image isn't very smart.  Others have been arrested and imprisoned for tarnishing the kingdoms image.

Isn't very smart is the thought process that the junta wants to spread across the land. First they came for the........ then........ then you. 

15 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

So you'd be sitting at home crying, blaming yourself? 

Pepper spray? Why not a Kalashnikov, some G60 stun grenades and a samurai sword? Clearly, this dozy chick was not appropriately armed to the teeth to survive in Krabi. It's a pity you are not her Dad?

I'd be sitting at home furious, blaming myself. I don't do the snowflake stuff.

2 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

The article says he called police, which means he didn't show up in person to report where the girl was.  He probably tried incognito, then was caught in person.  It shows he has a little bit of conscience, if at least reporting where the girl was.  He could have just as easily kept mum and she would have died in a day or 2. 

The first day's report didn't mention anything about him going down the cliff to further molest her, but I surmised that's what happened, before the 2nd day's report affirmed that.   Also, the initial report said she jumped.  Now it sounds like she slipped.  There's a difference.   45 meters is very high.  I had a 7 meter fall through a roof, 3.5 yrs ago, onto a cement floor and barely survived (two fractured wrists and a broken foot).   It's a good thing she is young.  If older, it's likely her body would have been more broken.

I gather you read the article provided by the link in the op while I read the article from another source

1 hour ago, ika said:

This is what's wrong with society. Instead of saying stupid man for doing something as horrific as this, we blame the girl. She becomes the stupid one. As if it's normal that this happens to any girl walking in a dark forest. 

Don't you think a girl should have the same right as you - be where she wants to be at the time she wants -  without being blamed for getting raped?? 

This won't happen before we put the blame where it belongs -  on the raper - and not the victim.

And this is what is wrong with society as well. You are perfectly unable to read from that statement "She wasn't careful enough" and go straight to victim blaming. While it may not have been tactful comment, it still wasn't wrong per se. You are always responsible for your own safety, anywhere, at all times....so taking precaution is your responsibility as a person. Does it stop it from happening? No, but you have still more chances/better luck than not doing anything at all. Just like in the regressive leftist utopia it's already victim blaming/gender shaming to tell girls/women to pick some sort of self defense, just in case....but no, rather than having the agency to be able to at least somewhat protect yourself, we call on society to place the agency on somebody else.....ding ding ding, the perpetrator who already doesn't care about the law and the consequences.

Not sure where you come from, but I, even as male, have been taught to be extra careful during evening hours simply because it's a dangerous time due to the poor visibility and sparse appearance from other memebers of society, there is less guarantee for your safety "by default".

Also, which right are you referring to men having that this woman didn't? As far as I know, there is no law etc that favors men being out at night and guarantees their safety, that's simply a long-time observation on your part and coming to the conclusion that men are superior when it comes to strengh and are more likely to stand their ground and fight if the situation arises. Hate to break it to you, but she did have the same right as men, being where she wanted, when she wanted. Mind you we are of course not talking about all and fewest of us actually know if fear will strike us down into a state of inaction....I for one have never been in such a situation at all, so although my mind is set to "stand my ground and fight" I couldn't guarantee that my actions would reflect on my mindset if it happens....hopefully after all the precaution that I was able to take.

As for this topic, so far nobody has sided with the perpetrator at all (set aside that one comment defending the intelligence of that man simply for saying "You can't judge it by the cover", as that is true in it's own right, for all we know he could be intelligent and having committed a crime wouldn't instantly make him stupid as a whole, even if the actions etc were stupid). The few comments about "the stupid girl" translate into "she wasn't careful enough", which may or may not have been the case (2 articles on that I think I've seen mentioned, I only glanced over the OPs with insufficient info in that regard). She did however fight back bravely yet still didn't come out unharmed, she had enough agency to at least do something about it....yet suggestion if she had any martial arts knowledge would also be victim blaming. Damned if you do, damned if you don't?

If you can't even ask any questions anymore or speak your mind without any ill intent and just face hostiliy yourself, how long will it take for nobody to care anymore? Society as a whole is degrading rapidly since the 3rd wave feminism took the reigns. Although a presenter can twist numbers and statistics accordingly, numbers don't lie, ignoring them serves no purpose, but that's exactly what is happening with society nowadays. Many things are tackled wrong through ideological agendas rather than rational comtemplation and that's where big issues have arised. Due to my lack of empathy and being a trash human in those regards, I can't help but smile when things fall apart and burn hoping they will wake up to more sensible approach to things rather than dividing societies even further. Look at the shitstorm that is being causes by feminism on the gender issues, blacklivesmatter on black issues or mass migration with high increased  crimes on racism issues. Yes, truth may hurt but if we just keep evading the root problems with petty lies and go along with them, nobody should be acting surprised about most things going on.

Anyhow, hope she will recover to the best possible scenario, although it sounds kind of grim :/

How many times have we made unwise decisions in life? I know I have. This vibrant young lady was pushing herself to the limit in a foreign environment and look what happened. I feel extremely lucky to have survived the last 78 years. Life's course can change in an instant. Its all gravy from here on in for me. I hope she recuperates but it does not look good. 

4 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Some guy got locked up yesterday for decades because he had some pills (and I reckon all pushers should get life), today we have a scumbag who molested a young lady and possibly crippled her for life... how long will he serve?

She f'lung.

35 minutes ago, Ceruhe said:

but I, even as male, have been taught to be extra careful during evening hours simply because it's a dangerous time due to the poor visibility and sparse appearance from other memebers of society, there is less guarantee for your safety "by default".

Agree! (even though I haven't been taught that way. I simply follow my own instinct.) Let me break it down for those who don't see through this logic - which I term common sense:

a) being out at 11pm= NO (that for being a senior citizen with poor eyesight)

b  ) being out at 11pm + in a strange town/city/country= NO + NO

c) being out at 11pm + in a strange town/city/country + following a stranger (man/woman) anywhere= NO + NO + NO 

d) being out at 11pm + in a strange town/city/country + following a stranger (man/woman) + heading for the jungle = NO + NO + NO + NO

In short I have 4, count them, 4 safeguards that would have prevented me taking the path this young woman has taken. That she had none simple boggles the mind.

2 minutes ago, smo said:

Agree! (even though I haven't been taught that way. I simply follow my own instinct.) Let me break it down for those who don't see through this logic - which I term common sense:

a) being out at 11pm= NO (that for being a senior citizen with poor eyesight)

b  ) being out at 11pm + in a strange town/city/country= NO + NO

c) being out at 11pm + in a strange town/city/country + following a stranger (man/woman) anywhere= NO + NO + NO 

d) being out at 11pm + in a strange town/city/country + following a stranger (man/woman) + heading for the jungle = NO + NO + NO + NO

In short I have 4, count them, 4 safeguards that would have prevented me taking the path this young woman has taken. That she had none simple boggles the mind.

I don't think you're Quasimodo's type! That's your fifth safeguard! :gigglem:

Archived