What is your experience going home each year?

garyk

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I left the US at 20, have been back for total of about 10-12 years; which means about 40 years away. Haven't been back to the US in 10 years; went 14 years once without returning. I used to go back, but the same people were sitting on the same barstools carrying on the same conversation; it might as well have been a soap opera--same story, same players, different date. However, most of my family and friends are expats, most of my relatives dead, and I was a service brat with really no place to call home. I have property and a permanent residence in the states, but my home is where my ass resides.

son starts school next year so i am making the move back. i have enjoyed the trips back to nz over the last 10 years as i love the food there. climate is not very good and everyone is in the rat race. if it was not for the cool climate i can be just as happy  in nz as thailand. the cost of living has come down in many ways and some goods are cheaper than when i left 20 years ago. as long as you dont have a mortgage cost of living is actually ok there compared to thailand if you are not going out a lot.

When i go back to the town i used to live in ,its like visiting a foreign country , hardly anyone "British" seems to live there any more i now only go there for a day or so to say hello to old friends whom i have known for years , my daughter moved to the country years ago ,i stay there and it has not changed a bit , unlike what the PC tv shows try to present that villages are multicultural these days , in real life its not like that one bit ,but after a few weeks i am chomping at the bit to come home to my house in Thailand ,and yes it is MY house as much as it is my wife of 24 years is. (is that the way you say it)

Britain has changed so much and i fear not for the better , and far worse is to come i am afraid .

When I first moved to Asia 25 years ago, I used to go back to the States every couple of years. But as time went on, I felt less and less at home there, and more at home in Asia. In the past 15 years, I've been back twice. The last time, six years ago, was for five days, and that was too long. Thailand is home. It provides almost everything that I want, everything that I need, and in the proper quality and quantity to keep me happy. NOT just 'satisfied,' but 'happy.'  If it didn't, I wouldn't stay.

Yes... There are things about living here that I don't like. But no place is Utopia. Thailand is close enough for me.  :)

I go back to the States for about 3 months each year, and enjoy it. It helps keep things in perspective. I have family, and great friends there.

Food costs me more, but I eat out a lot. I hit a Thai buffet once a week.

And like everyone else, I always bring a suitcase of things I want, and for presents.

21 hours ago, jadee said:

I'm from the UK and have similar feelings to those described by 'chiang mai'; my excitement about going home wears thin after a few days. The UK 'seems' better while I'm in Thailand but there's very little I miss. I sometimes miss fish and chips but when I go back and try them, that's that for another visit. I find myself missing the fresh food, the convenience and the weather of Thailand.
My only question to the OP would be, why break ties? Enjoy the best of both worlds. 

The  best fish and chips I found are in the tiny stall in LK Meto. The corner near Soi Buakao.

We split our time - six months in Thailand and six months in the US. We have homes, cars, friends and family in both places, so we don't live like tourists. This year will be year number five of us doing this and we enjoy it very much. We take and try to enjoy each day as it comes and always seem to look forward to the next transition as it approaches and view that change as simply going home again. We enjoy both locations very much, and for the time being cannot see changing anything.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I go back to Australia every year to visit family and friends. If you cook yourself, food is probably cheaper and healthier in Australia. Of course we are spoiled in Thailand because it is so cheap to eat out. I certainly notice how clean and laid back Australia seems compared to more crowded Thailand. 

But I have made my home in Thailand and enjoy looking after our little farm. I can't really afford to live in Australia on my retirement pension and having lost my house and other assets through divorce when I was 50. I'm thankful for the opportunity to start again in Thailand, with a comparable quality of life, but on a quarter of my pre-retirement income.

As for women, there is no comparison. Thailand is way ahead.

I do miss the clean surf beaches in Australia, good recreational fishing wherever you go and having a lot of wild nature around you all the time.

My ideal lifestyle would be 6 months in Australia and 6 months in Thailand, but that is unaffordable for me. When I'm in Australia, I do miss my Thai home and lifestyle after a few weeks.

Twenty years in Thailand and twenty-six years in Asia. 

I go back once a year for five to six weeks to visit my aged mother and brothers and sisters.

And I usually gain 5-6 Kg when there from eating pizza, hamburgers, and other yummy stuff.

Also, I buy vitamins and chocolates and shoes that I can't get here.

As long as there are annual property taxes, I am of the mind that you never really own a house or land in the USA.

OK OP l'll chip in but l'm from UK so I think hard to compare personally.  

Here are my views which seem totally opposite to yours. :D

" Food " here IMO l find no different in price with certain produce, cheaper in the main unless buying western stuff.  My Mrs can cook for me here in Thailand the same as she did when we were in England in fact l'd say l get more variety here. :thumbsup:

" Neighborhood " Funny as l type this there's two ladies sweeping soy outside my house.

" Property "  l sold everything in UK,  good riddance and you can own property here it's land where am that l cannot own but it's the wife's anyhow so it's of no concern to me.

" Women " I prefer Asian women too,  married to one. :)

" Healthcare "  UK was free for me and I have to get private healthcare like most in America have to and found the hospitals where l am and doctors are excellent.  :thumbsup:

" After living in Thailand for years "  No-way difficult for me I don't think much at all about the UK dustbin and the thought off going back to UK gives me the creeps. 

Edited by Kwasaki

I went back to the Uk about 5 years after i had been here.I went home for as short a time as i could get.I had to stay at my daughters house as mine is rented.It was great seeing my girl again,but one night i went back to the local,i used to use,for years.
I was looking forward to a few light and bitter's.

I walked in and i couldnt believe it.All the same crowd were there, same place at the bar,speaking the same old shit,talking about nothing but foot ball and discussing the size of the barmaids tits.

All my old mates were boring farts,and all their wives called me a pervert and wanted to know how many ladyboys i had been with and did i shag young boys. Of couse i admitted to every thing,just to piss em off,When asked whether i was married to a Thai prostitute,i said i was(pissing them off again) When asked what was so wonderful about Thai women,i couldnt resist telling them that although she was their age,she was not 40 pounds overweight,bottle blond and  not using sex with her husband as a monthly treat.Needless to say,after that i was treated like a dose of the pox,and all the men were pulled away.

That was enough for me.I havent been back since

UK? you can stick it where the sun dont shine.

Cleaner, quieter, more expensive for some things, more TAX, way better driving, yob culture, crap weather, went in July thinking there would be some summer., I was severely  mistaken............UK

Healthcare there is excellent though

Edited by kannot

5 Weeks every Summer.

2 Weeks every Christmas.

Both times of Year my Wife, Son and I have a thoroughly enjoyable time. 

Summer is particularly excellent - For the most part the weather is great, just a few rainy days, otherwise beautiful British Summer time...  I take my nephews camping, a number of friends also join. We also visit area's of the UK, i.e. North Devon and Cornwall coastlines, this year we were in the Lake District for a week, mountain biking (son on a trailer), walks, great beers and pub food... 

A Summer visit to the UK is always an action packed... but mostly its to see family, Parents, Sisters & their family, its great to see all the kids playing together, I also consider it particularly important that my Son has regular contact with my family.

Christmas is slightly different - The weather is usually atrocious and we don't go far. This time friends come round or we visit friends nearby, nice warm evenings in, kids playing, or lovely pub meals and again, great beer... all in the build up to Christmas where the Children's excitement is uncontainable - its a magical time of year to witness. 

IMO: At the right time of year the UK is a wonderful place to visit....  particularly more so you if have loving family and a great set of friends with whom continued close contact exists...  There is so much to do in the UK - all it takes is a little effort to get up, get out and do things...  

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

5 Weeks every Summer.

2 Weeks every Christmas.

Summer is particularly excellent - For the most part the weather is great, just a few rainy days, otherwise beautiful British Summer time...  I take my nephews camping, a number of friends also join. We also visit area's of the UK, i.e. North Devon and Cornwall coastlines, this year we were in the Lake District for a week, mountain biking (son on a trailer), walks, great beers and pub food... 

A Summer visit to the UK is always an action packed... but mostly its to see family, Parents, Sisters & their family, its great to see all the kids playing together, I also consider it particularly important that my Son has regular contact with my family.

Christmas is slightly different - The weather is usually atrocious and we don't go far. This time friends come round or we visit friends nearby, nice warm evenings in, kids playing, or lovely pub meals and again, great beer... all in the build up to Christmas where the Children's excitement is uncontainable - its a magical time of year to witness. 

IMO: At the right time of year the UK is a wonderful place to visit....  particularly more so you if have loving family and a great set of friends with whom continued close contact exists...  There is so much to do in the UK - all it takes is a little effort to get up, get out and do things...  

the money, don't forget the money, the UK, so i have heard from people who go back now and again, is extremely expensive

24 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

the money, don't forget the money, the UK, so i have heard from people who go back now and again, is extremely expensive

It's expensive in Thailand if you don't rely on street food and when comparing like for like...

There are many things in Thailand which are cheaper - but on average I suspect that Thailand may now be more expensive for me now... 

I go once a year at Christmas.  Sadly, I feel more and more estranged from family and friends as I feel like I'm losing touch with their culture/mindset, as they are with mine.  Never any arguments or friction--just that constant little voice that says "they have no idea."  Alas, they are probably thinking the same. 

Like others, after about 5-7 days, I get homesick for Thailand.  
Does "reverse banana" ring a bell with anyone? 

Edited by Fookhaht

5 hours ago, OmegaRacer said:

Been in Thailand 10 years, but always looking forward for my annual 5-week holiday back home in the North Italian Alps. If I could afford to go twice a year, I definitely would. I have family and great friends there, the place is beautiful with lots of mountains and nature. Food is a mix of German and Italian and I love it. I have a big bike there (a 1981 Moto Guzzi G5) which is perfect for travelling with my wife. She loves to go there too.
If I could do my job there, I would be really hard pressed if I had to choose between Thailand and Italy. Both have their + and -.

892747667.jpeg

Aahhh, the Tyrolean Alps! I'll trade the French Riviera for them anytime...

Sometimes in my dreams, I find myself asking: if money is no object, where would I choose to live, the East or the West? It's a tough call so tough that the adrenaline starts to flow and wake me up, and then I realize that's not gonna be an option. Problem solved!:clap2:

Thanks (for bringing up) the memories....

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

5 Weeks every Summer.

2 Weeks every Christmas.

unfortunately "the right time of the year" seems to be the very odd day here and there and as for winter it  seems to go on from November to about end of May with dull dreary skies and any hint  of sunshine and you cant move for people who have decided to have a day out too.

4 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

I go back to Australia every year to visit family and friends. If you cook yourself, food is probably cheaper and healthier in Australia. Of course we are spoiled in Thailand because it is so cheap to eat out. I certainly notice how clean and laid back Australia seems compared to more crowded Thailand. 

But I have made my home in Thailand and enjoy looking after our little farm. I can't really afford to live in Australia on my retirement pension and having lost my house and other assets through divorce when I was 50. I'm thankful for the opportunity to start again in Thailand, with a comparable quality of life, but on a quarter of my pre-retirement income.

As for women, there is no comparison. Thailand is way ahead.

I do miss the clean surf beaches in Australia, good recreational fishing wherever you go and having a lot of wild nature around you all the time.

My ideal lifestyle would be 6 months in Australia and 6 months in Thailand, but that is unaffordable for me. When I'm in Australia, I do miss my Thai home and lifestyle after a few weeks.

i tried the 6/6, it does not work for me. i do 9/3 now...

food cheaper and healthier in oz??? you either live in a different part of austraila or thailand than i do. my living budget here in issan is 25% of what i shell out in oz.

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 3:48 PM, Don Mega said:

only been home twice in the past 10 years, last time was 6 years ago, couldn't wait to get back on the plane and return to Thailand.

+1...I don't go back to the USA  very often anymore... Strange, that when I am there, I am thinking about how there are many Farangs here... Some tings you mentioned are true but overall I love Pattaya !!!

Moved here 3 years ago and have not been back or plan to. Have no family or property there. I've found the friends I had have drifted away. Email or phone calls are not enough and we no longer share any common interests.

There are foods I miss (none of them healthy!) , but not enough for a 23 hour flight.

Thailand is home for me now and I guess will be for the rest of my life.

No regrets!

If your home is in an other country ,,,,why the <deleted> are you here?My home is in Thailand ,I made my home here.  I have been to see my family and kids in Aus 2 years ago for 4 weeks with the GF,  We were glad to come back home to Thailand .Still love my kids and family but they have their own life,we got ours. ((:

7 hours ago, alofthailand said:

The  best fish and chips I found are in the tiny stall in LK Meto. The corner near Soi Buakao.

If one have no cultural interests, no love for the marvellous landscape, no interest in theatres, art galleries or architecture.If one's interests revolve around football, bargirls, beer and food like fish and chips, I can quite understand why you would never want to visit England.As a more general proposition, the combination of peasant Isaan culture and working class/lower middle class British culture may well sometimes produce a blissful union but one does not imagine it does much to  advance the cause of civilisation.

22 minutes ago, Doc46 said:

If your home is in an other country ,,,,why the <deleted> are you here?My home is in Thailand ,I made my home here.  I have been to see my family and kids in Aus 2 years ago for 4 weeks with the GF,  We were glad to come back home to Thailand .Still love my kids and family but they have their own life,we got ours. ((:

I have several homes in another, which is why the *deleted* i am here. And i fancy a new BMW so it looks like theyre gonna be getting a rent increase for xmas...... oh hum....

9 hours ago, scorecard said:

Any you, are you aging OK? Or is that beside the point...

That is a good question. I am very healthy, eat healthy and exercise daily. At 64 I have no health issues. Do not drink or smoke. Personally I do not like young women. I like older women closer to my own age. And in S.E. Asia i find the quality of women in my age group extremely good.  

Cheers

Edited by garyk