What is your experience going home each year?

garyk

39 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It seems to me that there are two definite 'camps'.... those who enjoy returning and those who hate it... there is very little middle ground. 

Based on what I have read of this thread, those who enjoy returning are those with close friends and family, with somewhere to stay. 

Those who don't enjoy returning or who no longer return are those who have not maintained contact with friends or family (for whatever reason) and tend not to have anywhere to stay other than hotels etc.

Thus: Could it be that one of the primary reasons for enjoying a return visit or not is cost ?

For those who it will cost a lot to return tend not to enjoy a visit or boycott their country of origin completely... But for those who's costs are less or who can readily afford a visit back to their country of origin tend to have greater enjoyment......

Of course, I'm not suggesting this is the case for everyone - but as a generalisation it seems to fit many of the responses I've read thus far. 

Noooooo, went back twice in 2009, funerals, had somewhere to stay, use of a car, loved to see my "Hotrod" friends for a beer but that was it.....Just wanted to get back to my house and Mrs.Trans.....

Of course we are all different and look at our life in different ways....Sure...If I had pots of cash l may be doing something different with the Mrs.....Not sure what but my ol' gray cells may think of something...:)

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love it when I go back to London; it's still one of the world's top cities

Catching up with old friends, talking to well-dressed, educated, attractive women that can hold a conversation on subjects other than the latest iPhone and can afford to buy a round of drinks and going to quality clubs/bars that don't have wall-to-wall freelance prostitutes.

I love Bangkok too

Life is good

1 minute ago, Agent Sumo said:

I love it when I go back to London; it's still one of the world's top cities

Catching up with old friends, talking to well-dressed, educated, attractive women that can hold a conversation on subjects other than the latest iPhone and can afford to buy a round of drinks and going to quality clubs/bars that don't have wall-to-wall freelance prostitutes.

I love Bangkok too

Life is good

Burger King.......

As always with these threads, knowing some more context about the poster would go a long way to explaining their opinion.  For instance, one mentions Alaska.  Well, duh, yeah, the women situation in Thailand will be vastly better.  A good friend's brother lives there and all he can get is a morbidly obese single mother who cheats on him.  She also has unspecified gastro-intestinal problems (I know because he asked me to send him a whole box of herb tea she'd previously bought in Thailand and that helped with her "condition".  It was a very expensive tea sold by a hotel, but if I shared a bed with her I'd probably also consider it a good use of money).  I've seen photos of the brother and he's an average, pleasant-looking guy who runs his own barber shop.  From everything else I've heard, Alaska sounds like a hell for single, straight men.  But I digress.  

I go to Belgium 3 times a year and always enjoy the environment there.  The beautiful cities that are a delight for walking, how relatively quiet (traffic-free) it is everywhere, a huge transformation in terms of cafes and restaurant options available compared to 20 years ago (nice coffee shops, cafes with healthy food and nice, modern interior vs. the old-fashioned brasseries or smoke-filled dives of old), being able to shop for durables without a moronic salesperson sticking to me like glue, dirt cheap wine compared to Thailand, being able to expect a competent job if you require a service, the clean air, for the most part polite staff everywhere (Thailand is highly variable in that regard), and last but not least, moderate temperatures.  The Thai climate is WAY too hot and humid for me.  I'll take 15 Celsius over 35 any time.  

On the topic of politeness and friendliness, I was in the US earlier this year in LA, Orlando and NY, and was struck by how friendly and polite most people are there.  In Thailand, maybe a third to half are at that level, but the bottom third are outright rude and boorish.  Nowadays when I get a taxi driver who exhibits some basic courtesy, I'm surprised.  Here in Thailand, I frequently encounter staff who treat me like an intrusion, with a surly expression on their face, not saying a word when you pay, getting upset if things don't go their way...  For the Thai apologists who are already hyperventilating, I'm not saying all are like this or even a majority, but it's a frequent occurance.  Too many surly customer-facing staff here, and those little interactions are just much more pleasant in my part of the West, or even Singapore, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Indonesia... 

About returning to Bangkok, I was neither excited, neither deflated about it.  Some things are great here.  On the whole much more (in numbers) beautiful women, interactions with the nicer Thais (as rude as some are, as pleasant are others -- my problem is the much greater variability in Thailand), some of the world's best shopping malls, great food, the sense of style and creative design when they can be bothered, affordable massage, having a gym and pool in your own building,...  For me, Thailand is a very mixed bag, and I don't see myself as permanent here.  My best guess is another 2-3 years, and then it'll be time.  Would love to move to Tokyo next, but for family reasons am considering Europe.  And I don't mean the worst of Europe (in that case Thailand wins the comparison of course), but one of the great cities or regions.  Would love Berlin, Barcelona, Milan, and a handful of others.  

My experiences are pretty much the same as the OP with Australia substituting for America.

It's certainly not anything to worry about: who wouldn't enjoy better education, health services etc.?

The West does most things better than Thailand, that is an indisputable fact.

It's best to be happy wherever you are in the world, and if something is not right, go somewhere else.

A lot of barriers people encounter in life are partly or wholly constructed by themselves.

I have a big smile on my face each time I land in bkk.
I know I won't be ripped off when I take the bus to Pattaya. I know I can eat for less 2 bucks at a food court. I don't have to worry about money and how much I have left at the end of the month. I know in Thailand if I live reasonably I will be OK. in Europe jobs don't pay anymore, there is nothing interesting in farang land except relatives, I explain them already that if they were not living in farangland I would not come back, to do what anyway.?I will be 50 soon, my goal is to cut all bridges with farang land. theses bridges just cost too much. if I need a new passport, we have embassies. by chance except bank accounts, I have nothing left in the West. relatives are dying one after one

I go home, to the UK, to visit family. I like the place, and in all likelihood I will spend my later retirement years there. I would not like to grow old and infirm in Thailand nor would I want the bulk of my assets held in this country. However, as long as I am fit and well I will continue to visit and stay in Thailand for long periods of time, as well as visit surrounding countries during visa vacations. I also plan to go further afield for trips, New Zealand, Australia, Japan, etc on the list for the future. In that respect, Thailand is a great base to base yourself.

The ideal is to have the best of both worlds, but as you get older and in more need of medical assistance I much prefer the UK.  

21 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

PS I am zillions % more free in LOS than in the over regulated, expensive, crime ridden, gang infested place I call my homeland, not to mention the excessive PC that has brainwashed the citizens.

Are you describing Australia?.....sounds like it.

On 09/09/2016 at 4:11 AM, i claudius said:

When i go back to the town i used to live in ,its like visiting a foreign country , hardly anyone "British" seems to live there any more i now only go there for a day or so to say hello to old friends whom i have known for years , my daughter moved to the country years ago ,i stay there and it has not changed a bit , unlike what the PC tv shows try to present that villages are multicultural these days , in real life its not like that one bit ,but after a few weeks i am chomping at the bit to come home to my house in Thailand ,and yes it is MY house as much as it is my wife of 24 years is. (is that the way you say it)

Britain has changed so much and i fear not for the better , and far worse is to come i am afraid .

I'm the only one of my old pals who still lives in my part of South London. They have all been denied local authority housing and can't afford to buy. My son was told that he did not qualify for council housing and would NEVER be allocated accommodation, in other words white working class need not apply!

When I travel by bus apart from Easter Europeans and a few OAPs I'm the only white person on board. All the old pubs are gone or are Islamic centres, doctor's surgeries or flats. Only Wetherspoons pubs survive. I long term in Pattaya but it breaks my heart to see what they've done to the London I grew up in.

I never realised it was possible to hate people as much as I hate our politicians, you can't blame immigrants for taking what's been handed to them on a plate although it has been done so at our expense.

22 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

PS I am zillions % more free in LOS than in the over regulated, expensive, crime ridden, gang infested place I call my homeland, not to mention the excessive PC that has brainwashed the citizens.

Yep, this old "PC" chestnut again

Thing is, a lot of foreigners living here who share this view on "political correctness" in their homelands are the same ones who are perpetually whinging about being called a "farang" or being "discriminated" against in Thailand.

How balls-out hypocritical can some people be? 

45 minutes ago, Agent Sumo said:

Thing is, a lot of foreigners living here who share this view on "political correctness" in their homelands are the same ones who are perpetually whinging about being called a "farang" or being "discriminated" against in Thailand.

I have lived in 3 European countries and worked for extended periods in probably 5 more.  Also lived in NY, Boston and DC.  I don't recognize any of these places as the overregulated nanny-states so many here seem to perceive.  In fact, I rather like it when the air smells of nothing, drivers stop for red lights, corruption gets punished, cops can't be bribed, tour buses don't leave their engine idling for an hour in front of my condo, people mow their lawn at reasonable times...  Like someone once said about Singapore's silly nanny-state laws, "All of these are things your mother should already have taught you anyway."   Rather than over-regulated, I wish my neck of the woods (Belgium) were a lot tougher on criminals, corruption, and things like drink-driving.  

In fact, the nanny-state is much more intrusive in this country.  For instance the very frequent censorship of opinion, stupid high alcohol prices because the good people consider it a sin.  And don't get me started about the lawlessness here, for instance the behavior of "nanny-free" Thai drivers.

Edited by ChidlomDweller

Funny that. Remove the word "expensive" from that list and you have a pretty good description of Thailand.

1 hour ago, yogi100 said:

I'm the only one of my old pals who still lives in my part of South London. They have all been denied local authority housing and can't afford to buy. My son was told that he did not qualify for council housing and would NEVER be allocated accommodation, in other words white working class need not apply!

When I travel by bus apart from Easter Europeans and a few OAPs I'm the only white person on board. All the old pubs are gone or are Islamic centres, doctor's surgeries or flats. Only Wetherspoons pubs survive. I long term in Pattaya but it breaks my heart to see what they've done to the London I grew up in.

I never realised it was possible to hate people as much as I hate our politicians, you can't blame immigrants for taking what's been handed to them on a plate although it has been done so at our expense.

I have to agree native Londoners have been given a very bad deal by their own politicians, making the city increasingly unaffordable for locals, pushing them further and further out in the suburbs, while selling off the real estate to well-off foreigners.  

I'm not talking about refugees and economic migrants (you have a point there too), but on the other side: the bankers, consultants and other high-paid professionals who have their tax domicile outside the UK and make a lot of money they pay almost no taxes on.  

I'm fortunate that my small home town in Belgium (pop. 25,000) and the nearest provincial capital (pop. 300,000) are largely the same as I remember them as a child. Again, this is where "nanny-state" laws aren't all bad -- in this case urban planning restrictions.  Most of the changes are improvements in fact, for instance traffic being pushed to the city boundaries, smoke-free public places, and more variety in food options.  One dramatic change for the worse is the explosion in obesity.  In the 1970s, "fat" was struggling to get rid of 5-10 extra kilos.  Nowadays, those people would be the minority of "thin" ones.

Edited by ChidlomDweller

I would agree with most of what you said...just substitute Asian ladyboys in my case. I do feel the healthcare is good...the problem is often communication. The cost is certainly better if one is self-paying and you can get the communication thing sorted.

Yeah, as for food and shopping, don't get me started.  On my first days back Stateside, I spend my time wandering the aisles of Trader Joe's and Whole Foods in utter amazement.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

I've been enjoying the annual trips back the the US (San Diego) more and more each time.  It does help refresh the little things I like about living here, but they diminish each time.   Definitely feeling the winds of change coming on.

Each time I go back (UK), I really do think that it will be unlikely that I will spend all of my retirement years in Thailand; maybe none.

I am now 42 and have spent most of my adult years in Thailand since I was 19. I have also live/worked here permanently since I was 27. I have been fortunate to have made a good living here but the more I go back to UK the less urge I have to come back to Thailand after my annual visits. I get fed up with the hot climate and generally poor air quality.

I think I will probably end up splitting my time more like 6/6 months or seek out somewhere different. Until then I will continue work and live in Thailand.

How balls-out hypocritical can some people be? 

Not to mention that Thailand has one of the highest levels of violence including gun crime and murder in the world and UK one of the lowest.

This thread certainly confirms my earlier suggestion that those who rant about their "spoiled" homeland tend to be at the lower end of the social, economic and cultural spectrum.Classic embittered UKIP material who pine after some dreamy vision of Albion yet don't really understand their own history and culture at all.

3 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Oh boo hoo

British-born, ethnic minority working class need not apply too but they're not running around with their arms flailing screaming "injustice" like some do.

The first people you ought to be blaming are the hundreds of thousands of white, working-class British-born single mothers who are automatically assigned local authority housing when they pop out a sprig sired by a white, working-class British-born hoodie.

Your son just got to the party too late, mate.

Hi all,

Just had the opportunity after years to get a job back in Germany and even right in my home town Wilhelmshaven.

Surprisingly, the Landlord knew still what Beer I used to drink and what kind of glass I choose.

The talks were still the same about benefits and politics.

People who know me were welcoming me like long time not seen and as they were asking where i have been all the years  they somehow couldn't chew it. 

Quick they changed back to the usual blah blah about stories "behind the church"

That point: Nothing had changed.

From my point of view: was nice to see again my old hometown, how clean it is and the 'well sorted' traffic (cost me about 195 Euros in 6 Week my company provided me a rental. 3 speeding, 2 parking tickets and 10 Eur for not stopping at a stop sign )

now after 140 days in this Project I see under how much pressure the people are here and more, I feel homesick, miss my wife and my place, my friends and (Thai) Family, the evenings and fun sitting outside at the fire, laughing and joking.

Conclusion:

Nice seen it again but I could not live there and won't come back even after 12 years Thailand.  

8 hours ago, Agent Sumo said:

Oh boo hoo

British-born, ethnic minority working class need not apply too but they're not running around with their arms flailing screaming "injustice" like some do.

The first people you ought to be blaming are the hundreds of thousands of white, working-class British-born single mothers who are automatically assigned local authority housing when they pop out a sprig sired by a white, working-class British-born hoodie.

Your son just got to the party too late, mate.

Come to London and show me some. Get on a London bus and for every white single mother you clap eyes on you'll see five black ones. That's if you see any white ones at all. It was London I was referring to in my post.

What is the Boo Hoo comment meant to mean? Was that made in sympathy or were you mocking me.?

Edited by yogi100

13 hours ago, ChidlomDweller said:

As always with these threads, knowing some more context about the poster would go a long way to explaining their opinion.  For instance, one mentions Alaska.  Well, duh, yeah, the women situation in Thailand will be vastly better.  A good friend's brother lives there and all he can get is a morbidly obese single mother who cheats on him.  She also has unspecified gastro-intestinal problems (I know because he asked me to send him a whole box of herb tea she'd previously bought in Thailand and that helped with her "condition".  It was a very expensive tea sold by a hotel, but if I shared a bed with her I'd probably also consider it a good use of money).  I've seen photos of the brother and he's an average, pleasant-looking guy who runs his own barber shop.  From everything else I've heard, Alaska sounds like a hell for single, straight men.  But I digress.  

I go to Belgium 3 times a year and always enjoy the environment there.  The beautiful cities that are a delight for walking, how relatively quiet (traffic-free) it is everywhere, a huge transformation in terms of cafes and restaurant options available compared to 20 years ago (nice coffee shops, cafes with healthy food and nice, modern interior vs. the old-fashioned brasseries or smoke-filled dives of old), being able to shop for durables without a moronic salesperson sticking to me like glue, dirt cheap wine compared to Thailand, being able to expect a competent job if you require a service, the clean air, for the most part polite staff everywhere (Thailand is highly variable in that regard), and last but not least, moderate temperatures.  The Thai climate is WAY too hot and humid for me.  I'll take 15 Celsius over 35 any time.  

On the topic of politeness and friendliness, I was in the US earlier this year in LA, Orlando and NY, and was struck by how friendly and polite most people are there.  In Thailand, maybe a third to half are at that level, but the bottom third are outright rude and boorish.  Nowadays when I get a taxi driver who exhibits some basic courtesy, I'm surprised.  Here in Thailand, I frequently encounter staff who treat me like an intrusion, with a surly expression on their face, not saying a word when you pay, getting upset if things don't go their way...  For the Thai apologists who are already hyperventilating, I'm not saying all are like this or even a majority, but it's a frequent occurance.  Too many surly customer-facing staff here, and those little interactions are just much more pleasant in my part of the West, or even Singapore, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Indonesia... 

About returning to Bangkok, I was neither excited, neither deflated about it.  Some things are great here.  On the whole much more (in numbers) beautiful women, interactions with the nicer Thais (as rude as some are, as pleasant are others -- my problem is the much greater variability in Thailand), some of the world's best shopping malls, great food, the sense of style and creative design when they can be bothered, affordable massage, having a gym and pool in your own building,...  For me, Thailand is a very mixed bag, and I don't see myself as permanent here.  My best guess is another 2-3 years, and then it'll be time.  Would love to move to Tokyo next, but for family reasons am considering Europe.  And I don't mean the worst of Europe (in that case Thailand wins the comparison of course), but one of the great cities or regions.  Would love Berlin, Barcelona, Milan, and a handful of others.  

Good grief, for one talking about needing to know the 'context' of the person making the post, pretty confident we have your pretentious and opinionated self all sussed out by the end of your 4 paragraphs of generally vapid observations. I was the one that mentioned Alaska paraphrased my Alaskan buddy's personal reflection on the small mindedness of general conversation after returning there, regardless of the gender. You are the one that chose to relate in some strange detail some friends relative living in Alaska with an overweight woman that is blighted by a bizarre intestinal issue who also cheats on him. Yeah we get it. he's a good looking guy trapped by a fat, white woman.

You could saved us some bandwidth and said you don't really like Thailand or the people too much instead of restating the same litany of complaints, ie. manic traffic, poor service, smoking in public, the heat, expensive wine, cultural ignorance, boorish cab drivers, etc., etc.. versus the bog-standard bonuses, ie. eye candy, shopping malls (with eye candy) and massages with happy endings. You even have to add a negative tone when giving the locals a generally positive comment with, "...the sense of style and creative design when they can be bothered, ..." Surprised you even bothered to mention the first bit.

Don't waste your time in Tokyo. "Berlin, Barcelona, Milan, and a handful of others" eagerly awaits your fawning adulation. Now!

2 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Come to London and show me some. Get on a London bus and for every white single mother you clap eyes on you'll see five black ones. That's if you see any white ones at all. It was London I was referring to in my post.

What is the Boo Hoo comment meant to mean? Was that made in sympathy or were you mocking me.?

Nobody is forcing you to ride a bus are they?

43 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Don't waste your time in Tokyo. "Berlin, Barcelona, Milan, and a handful of others" eagerly awaits your fawning adulation. Now!

So what if I like these places?  I have only one life to live and made my own money.  I don't need your presumptuous advice on what to do with my life.  

Been home like 2-3 times in 10 years and every time I changed my flight dates to an earlier departure back to Thailand. 

It's almost like the time stands still back in Europe. People complaining about the same old sh#t they did 10 years ago and if the neighbors lawn is mowed or not. 

Very very depressing. 

Been living in Thailand for 2 years visiting since 1971.  Realized the other day, it just hit me, that the majority of my diet is "raw foods."  Don't eat anything processed.  The fruits are, I think, the best in the world.  Living on Seeds, sprouts, nuts and fruit smoothies I actually started gaining weight.  Had to cut back on the nuts.

I'll have a Subway Veggi Sub or a couple of slices of pizza for a treat sometimes, not often.

Dark beer Lao is hard to beat, Singha is the standard when having a few.  I'll drink a Leo if it's super hot.

San Diego was a hard place to leave.  Ski in the AM.  Drive real fast and surf in the afternoon.  Best year 'round climate in the states.  Did fine with the girls there, although it's a different game.  No desire to go back anytime soon.  Asian chicks rock!!!