"You think too much"

swissie

How many times have I heard Thai's say to me "you think too much", when it came to debate an issue that is only slightly above trivial day to day matters.
Seems to me, that this avoidance to "think too much" is firmly entrenched in Thai Society. This may reach from your friendly neighborhood Immigration Officer all the way up to high ranking government officials. By not wanting to "think too much", at least that would explain why certain "rules and regulations" and Decisions by "Decision Makers" , can not possibly have not been conceived  by "logic" or the principle of "Cause & Effect" and by "thinking too much".

- I DO know that Buddhist Teachings include "Karma". = Major events are pre-determined and  future planning (thinking too much) is therefore an exercise in futility to begin with, or:

-  The human brain is being considered as some kind of muscle, that (like any other muscle) should not be over strained.

Taking such things into consideration, many things that appear "incomprehensible" , may become somewhat more "comprehensible" for a Farang.
Cheers.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to hear it in my home country occasionally....from people who were not too bright or just lazy to consider things

A lot of it here comes down to not wanting to give an issue any headspace that is not needed.

I havent heard it in a while now...maybe i pick a style of conversation to suit the occaision i didn't a few years back

7 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

"You think too much" is just Thais' polite way of saying, "You talk too much." :)

Yeap, that's pretty much it.  Or to put it another way, it's also a polite way of saying "shut the heck up already because your pointless opinions mean squat to me."

Think and worry about what you can change... 

As Westerners we tend to discuss and debate many issues which we have no possible control over.... We've often grown up discussing such topics which interest us regardless of the control or impact we may or may not have - To many Thai's this seems insane and a total waste of effort... 

To some extent Thai's are correct - why waste so much effort concerning ourselves with issues over which we have no impact... However, this is not so clear cut... as the apathy often extends to issues which we may have 'limited control over'... 

We as Westerners tend to feel more empowered over our destiny...  when generalising, Thai's tend not to. 

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

As Westerners we tend to discuss and debate many issues which we have no possible control over.... We've often grown up discussing such topics which interest us regardless of the control or impact we may or may not have - To many Thai's this seems insane and a total waste of effort... 

To some extent Thai's are correct - why waste so much effort concerning ourselves with issues over which we have no impact... However, this is not so clear cut... as the apathy often extends to issues which we may have 'limited control over'... 

We as Westerners tend to feel more empowered over our destiny...  when generalising, Thai's tend not to. 

100% supported, thank you for summing it up. it took me a while to learn...

8 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

"You think too much" is just Thais' polite way of saying, "You talk too much." :)

My Mrs today asked me where have the flowers gone,  I said what flowers, the ones in the flower beds by the road or the ones in the pots,  No she said the ones on the Buddha spirit house,  ..Well the wild cats knock them over l said maybe there on the floor,  No she said,  

Well in that case someone came in and took em,  No she said,  Well then if you left them out for Buddha, Buddha has got em so what you worried about,  she said " You say to much ".  :lol:

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

But idieally somewhere, someone has control or impact over the issues others are collectively thinking about and is thus able to affect change. On the other hand, when you breed a culture of people who resist critical thinking, the society as a whole fails to progress.

It is not ingrained in Thai culture.

Perhaps you're just talking to an uneducated Thai person who feels your approach is just verbally aggressive. The western way of discussion is considered unpleasant. It doesn't mean they don't discuss.

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

'You think too much' used to annoy me when I first came here, but nowadays I think they're right - to a certain extent.

We (or more accurately I :lol:) do over-think small, relatively unimportant things.

I'm the same way DD. I am a Engineer and by process and I likely think too much about things that do not need to be thought that much about. Sometimes when I am setting up some yard plans, start to sketch it out and I talk to my wife, I get her look and then "Poot Mak Dek Noi" lets just go do it. LOL!!!

All good.

It is more like a Chess game:

a falang babbles on, like  babylon is going out of fashion,  and

a Thai, keeps his pieces to himself.

oh yeah! never try to play Thai Chess against a Thai,

as it is much like an Ozzie trying to keep one step ahead of the Rule changes, in the America's Cup

3 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

'You think too much' used to annoy me when I first came here, but nowadays I think they're right - to a certain extent.

We (or more accurately I :lol:) do over-think small, relatively unimportant things.

It could also be said that Thais do not think enough.

11 hours ago, paulsingle said:

We sometimes hear "Que sera, sera" or "What will be, will be" amongst westerners. Variously down to pathos, indolence, resignation to circumstances etc but when I've heard this "think too much" from Thai people it seems to be reluctance or aversion to facing the facts.

Totally agree.  When I was married to a Thai woman she  often used to use the expression 'you think too much'.  It became clear to me it simply was a substitute for putting your head in the sand and stop worrying about any issue - however trivial.

Clearly, large sections of Thai society (and most others I suppose) take the view that not facing up to the facts will make them go away.

My mother-in-law, who, sadly, is not long for this world, sometimes uses the phrase "yaa khit maak" (don't think (too) much). When she does, her words are filled with maternal comfort and soothing, and I can tell she only wants to help me feel better.

I used to get it when I was teaching conversation English at a Thai high school. I used to find it a bit stressful at times, But I was told 'you think too much'. The sentiment was that teaching should be fun and don't worry too much if the students aren't listening. Thai staff thought teaching English conversation as a farang was an easy job for good money. How could it not be fun unless you 'think too much' (e.g. worry about it)?

Archived