"You think too much"

swissie

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, bill59 said:

With my wife I get the "hurt head" line a lot when I start talking about politics or religion. I think a lot of it is the Buddhist culture.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I've almost never had the head hurt line from my wife unless she actually has a headache...

She is fascinated by UK politics, knows the names of all the big players, knows who she likes and she is very politically aware. Since she moved here two years ago she has watch the EU referendum, stayed up to watch Trump, the council elections and two General Elections.

5 hours ago, rasg said:

I've almost never had the head hurt line from my wife unless she actually has a headache...

She is fascinated by UK politics, knows the names of all the big players, knows who she likes and she is very politically aware. Since she moved here two years ago she has watch the EU referendum, stayed up to watch Trump, the council elections and two General Elections.

That's impressive!

My fiancée has little interest in world affairs or even Thai history and politics.

However, her love of children and animals and her kindness and thoughtfulness towards almost everyone she meets is endearing.

She gives everyone the benefit of the doubt.

Sometimes I worry that she doesn't think enough but I love her dearly.

8 minutes ago, paulsingle said:

That's impressive!

My fiancée has little interest in world affairs or even Thai history and politics.

However, her love of children and animals and her kindness and thoughtfulness towards almost everyone she meets is endearing.

She gives everyone the benefit of the doubt.

Sometimes I worry that she doesn't think enough but I love her dearly.

My wife is very similar in the kindness sense to kids and animals and especially babies but she is very aware of everything going on around her. She's been here a couple of years now and the more she stays, the more she likes about this country.

I bought my wife a globe when she first came here because her geography was really bad. If she has a question she will get the globe and I will show her the area or the countries she was asking about. The last time she used it a few days ago I explained why Thailand, being so close to the equator,  sunrise and sunset are always at roughly the same time. Then I showed her with a light and the globe why the UK's sunrise and sunsets change so much throughout the year. Se is like a sponge for knowledge and remembers almost all of it.

On 10/09/2016 at 3:41 AM, Retiredandhappyhere said:

I gave up trying to discuss anything serious with some former Thai girlfriends when they clearly had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned World War 2.   I think they thought it was some kind of new computer game.

I know this post is from a while back but history in Thai schools is woefully inadequate and concentrates on Thai history rather than world history.  My wife finished school when she was 13 with no geography or history lessons. She learned the basics. It was only when she was in her 30s that she went back to school one day a week on her day off from the hotel.

When she first came here we discussed numerous things from famous people from the west and some huge moments in history. Bands and singers who didn't get to Thailand were practically unheard of there but those that did are very big in Thailand. Britney Spears, the Scorpions, Air Supply, Europe, Muse etc.

Elvis Presley barely made it out of the US. The Beatles didn't get to Thailand nor did many of the "super groups".

They love their rock music in Thailand and also many, many ballads. Carabao is huge in Thailand and I like a lot of their music.

My wife was exposed to Western music at the hotel where she worked and she knows many, many of the songs having heard them but not by the name of the song or band.

We do a lot of work for Jewish clients and I explained what happened to the Jews back in WW2. She couldn’t understand why anybody would do what the Germans did but a lesson in the history of the war had her wanting to know more.

I didn’t realise myself that the River Kwai is in Thailand and the only reason why I had even heard about it myself was because of the film.

If you didn't learn it at school or were exposed to it while growing up, why would your girlfriend know about WW2? If you ask my wife about the Vietnam war she could tell you a lot.

My wife's thirst for knowledge fascinates me and it is directly the opposite to anything I have read on here about Thai women. And normally expressed in a derogatory way.

On 5/5/2017 at 7:43 PM, Rc2702 said:

Nice point pal. It's well laid out too and makes sense. Be good to get that phrased in thai fully so it means something more than what most think it means which is that people are too lazy to think. My Thai mate who speaks Lao he tried to tell me an issue the other day and told me " kit maak" I was surprised he was using the phrase to be honest so I got him drunk to stop him from thinking too much. He seems in a better place now too so I guess it worked. First time this year I drank more than 1 Leo a night. I speak very basic thai I might add hence I could not figure out his problem or try to for that matter.

Reading some of your comments, you have a problem figuring out many things. 

Archived